5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the price
I bought 4 of these scanners for data entry purposes. I've used them for about a week now, scanning approximately 2000 items daily for each scanner. So far i've had only a few instances where the scanner wouldn't read the barcode the first or the second time (automatic scanning), but pulling the trigger over the barcode a few times did the trick.

The scanner...
Published on January 26, 2011 by Leo

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the price, works well
--Setup--
It just works, plugged it into a Mac mini, closed the "Identify Keyboard" window and immediately began scanning barcodes.

--Accessories--
Published on April 27, 2011 by Joel

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the price, January 26, 2011
This review is from: USB Automatic Barcode Scanner Scanning Barcode Bar-code Reader with Hands Free Adjustable Stand (Black) (Electronics)

The scanner comes with a handsfree stand (as described) that needs minor assembly. It has a little piece of metal that screws to the bottom of the stand, making it bottom-heavy, so it's pretty sturdy when mounted on the stand. I took the scanner right out the box and plugged it into my laptop and started scanning right away, so it really is plug and play.

For the price, I am very satisfied and would definitely purchase more if the need arises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, January 19, 2012
After reading the reviews on this scanner, I purchased one. Really couldn't go wrong with the price, but didn't want a lot of hassle either.

Building an Access 2010 database for inventory control, orders and invoicing for our forthcoming online store. Because we have an inventory of over 1,500 items to be entered into our database I wanted to scan UPC codes into the (database) DB. In addition the scanner would be used for scanning UPC codes into an online service which will allow for product look up to get addition descriptive info and comparable market pricing.

Received the product promptly, in Amazons usual excellent packaging box. By the way, we are so impressed with the service we get from Amazon that it's become our number place to go to find products.

Setup was very easy and was able to figure it out without looking at the instructions. Oops, I got the bottom plate screwed into place, but had to look at the instructions to see that I had to remove the plate and install the vertical stand first and then screw the plate down into place. My error, hey who looks at instructions anyhow!

From reading the reviews I kinda dreaded attaching the scanner to the computer because of the encrypted instruction for scanner set up that was mentioned in some reviews. However, had my data entry form built in Access 2010 and the time came. By the way, if your planning on using this scanner with Access, make sure its a non numerical field or set the property for that field to text not a number field. Not much is said about this subject, so including it for others that may be looking. For Excel, click in the cell your going to scan into then Right click. Select Format Cells, Click the Number Tab at the top, then select Number in under the Category. To the right of that select 0 Decimal places. In Microsoft Word just place your cursor where you want the scan to be placed and use your scanner as you normally would. The scanner will place the number where ever you want.

Plugged the scanner into a USB port and gave Windows 7 plug and play time to install the correct driver automatically from their own database as there is no CD software provided with this product. Two beeps from the scanner were heard and pop up said, that the driver had been installed successfully. Placed my cursor in a Access text box that I had labeled UPC Code. Pointed the scanner at a UPC code on an inventory item to be scanned and heard a beep. Presto, the scanner had successfully scanned the UPC code into my entry from correctly. Checked the Access table and yes, the UPC code was in the storage table where it was supposed to be. Double checked the UPC code from the box to what was entered and it was correct. Yeah! I didn't scan any ISBN (book bar code) yet, so additional set up may be needed, but unsure.

I went to my online UPC look up service and placed my cursor in the entry box and scanned in the UPC code. Within a nano second I had a screen full of product pictures, info and comparable produce pricing. Wow! I am impressed! This will make product look up so much easier if my inventory has a UPC code on it.

The only con I can see is the distance between the trigger and the mounting cradle to allow me to pull the trigger is very small. Am saying this as I didn't want to pull the scanner out of it's cradle each time to scan an item. I have smaller fingers and would imagine larger fingers would be a problem. However, I also noticed that when the scanner sits in the cradle that the scanner is always on, so all I have to do is slide an item with a UPC code under the scanner and it scans automatically without pulling the trigger.

Unit is very nice looking, sturdy and seems to be heavy enough. You can't go wrong for the price!

Update: We purchased a second unit because the first one worked so well. Brand name was different on the new unit, but had the same results installing, operating, both computers using Win 7. We have so much inventory to enter that I now have my PC entering one product line, and the laptop entering another product line. Unit reads ISBN numbers very well too. When I power the computer up for the day, I hear two beeps from the scanner which is normal. Very nice unit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, but beware of fulfillment company, May 6, 2012
C. Pledger (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this in March 2012 for use with a low volume check-in system at my church. Assembled stand, plugged it up, hardware found, drivers loaded, grabbed a bar code and it read it automatically. I can't compare it's ability to read bar codes to others, but it is fine for loyalty card scans. We plan to use several of these so I ordered another in April. The second one was completely different- different stand, different body and did not automatically scan. Grabbed the manual supplied to activate the auto mode and found a page covered over with white stickers. No other references in the manual to auto scan. Tried to get into programming mode with key sequence given- no luck, tried to get into programming mode with bar code to scan in manual- no luck.
I then reviewed order information and determine that different companies fulfilled each order even though it was the same Amazon item. The second one from Lemoncell Trading Company does not match the picture or functionality and is being returned. The first one I ordered from Lofteck worked fine so I just ordered another one being careful to get it from them. Pay attention to where your item comes from if you need auto-scanning capability in the stand (no trigger squeeze).

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the price, works well, April 27, 2011
--Setup--

--Accessories--
The hands-free stand works well. I needed a stationary, hands-free scanner, which is why I bought this one. Long cable, longer than what I need, but I'm sure others are happy for this (if you're gonna be limited by a cable, who really cares how long it is anyway?)

--Usability--
I got this for scanning tracking documents at my work. In my situation, the barcodes are all similar -- six numeric characters encoded in a "Code128" barcode. The barcode is printed about 1 inch (25mm) wide on our tracking sheets. This scanner does a decent job with these barcodes, however I'm a little disappointed because it's usually difficult to get a good angle for the scanner to read the code. Unfortunately we don't use the hands-free stand as we had planned because the user almost always has to twist the scanner around at different angles while moving it closer and further away from the reading surface until it finally reads our code. Just as a note, we have a different laser barcode scanner that reads these exact same codes instantly from any angle (wish I could find another one of those).

If anyone has different experience with *instant* code reading please share. I'm not talking about "pretty quick" either; I mean as *soon* as the laser crosses every bar on that code, it should *instantly* beep (record) the code... that's just not the case with this thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't seem to work on Macs no matter what, December 10, 2012
I've been a computer person for 23 years, starting as a field service tech. Let's just say I've configured more than my fair share of various computer types and peripherals including other barcode scanners. This one's stumped me. I've scoured Apple support forums, Googled my heart out and read every review of this product. Nothing I've tried, even upgrading my OS, works. The product itself has no part number, serial number, any kind of identifier whatsoever. The box it came in has just a barcode label on it, no logo, no manufacturer name. No tech support URL much less number in the so-called "manual". Bottom line is I've wasted my money and worse, hours and hours of time. This is the first time I've felt compelled to leave such a negative review for anything. I'm not even going to bother sending it back, waste of time and my money for postage. I'm going to find a name brand that stands by its products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner!, December 30, 2011
I bought this scanner for my wife's use in her book selling business. It works most excellently for that. The manual is very cryptic but was not needed because the scanner worked from the moment it was plugged in without any setup required. The always-on feature is outstanding. Scanning is perfect from as much as six inches away. I plan to order another for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for Pharmacy Scans, August 4, 2011
We brought this scanner for our pharmacy to scan prescription bottles NDC numbers and after some programming just by scanning a barcode on the programming guide it started working wonderfully.Great product and come with a hands free stand and work better than the more expensive brand name scanners.

1.0 out of 5 stars AUTOMATIC scan does NOT work !!, June 27, 2011
I bought this item because at description says USB AUTOMATIC BARCODE SCANNER, but it doesn't scan without pressing the trigger. Also picture at information is so different from the real item ( see my own images ).

I tried to enter to setup mode, I read instructions perfectly, it says press LEFT CONTROL + F2 + RIGHT SHIFT + BACKSPACE, but nothing happens. I also tried the Enter setup mode barcode, but the scanner goes dead, and it requires unplug and plug again to revive it.

I want to find any information to resolve my problem, but the scanner have not any label or something with model or serial number.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, works on a Mac too!, September 29, 2011
The manual for this scanner is totally cryptic - just ignore it. If using it with a Mac, follow these steps: 1) connect it to a USB port on your Mac (the scanner should beep twice). 2) Go into System Preferences and click on Keyboard. 3) Click "Change Keyboard Type..." which will bring up the Keyboard Setup Assistant. 4) Click Continue and scan a barcode (can be a UPC label from a package / book). 5) Select "ANSI (United States and others) and click Done. That's it!

1.0 out of 5 stars You're on your own, June 12, 2012
If you just need a simple bar code reader without programming it, this should be fine. However, if you need to change the programming in any way, DON'T buy this one. The instructions don't work. The programming setup doesn't work, and there is no one who is going to help you. There isn't even a mfg. name on this thing.
Read the other reviews and you'll see the same thing. Programming doesn't work.