5.0 out of 5 stars a splendid variation on a theme
I was certainly predisposed to like this story, as its author was generous enough to dedicate it to me, explaining that it had sprung from an old story of mine. Mr. Bell's a fine writer, and the changes he's worked are both inventive and dramatically convincing.

Published 19 months ago by Lawrence Block

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
not worthy of the author. have read other of his books, and this was not up to his standard at all.
Published 10 months ago by ksue

5.0 out of 5 stars a splendid variation on a theme, December 13, 2012
Lawrence Block (Greenwich Village) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)

It's a curious thing--I've written two fishing stories that I can recall, "Sometimes They Bite" (the point of departure for "Autumnal") and the more recent "Catch & Release (A Story From the Dark Side)." Both, like Mr. Bell's, are dark and nasty. Yet fishermen in the main are such a patient, contemplative lot.

Most of them, anyway...

Lawrence Block

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, April 16, 2013
Bookman (Eugene, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)
James Scott Bell not only writes compelling novels, but short stories as well. This is well-written and true to the genre. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me Guessing, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)
I have read many James Scott Bell novels and this story was a surprise freom start to finish. Short, with Criminal Minds - the TV show - characteristics, it took reading right to the end before I figured it out. A page turner, like all his other books, it was a fast read and one I'd highly recommend, although devoid of any Chrstian characteristics.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one won't get away from you..., December 20, 2012
Nancy Cole Silverman "Nancy Cole" (Studio City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)
James Bell's new short story Autumnal is a chilling read and nothing less than what we would expect from this master storyteller. A lone camper is met in the woods by two hikers and the unexpected happens. Readers will find themselves reading between the lines and still finish saying, "I can't believe that!" A real twister that stays with you.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, August 25, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Too short even for a "Short Story", August 20, 2013
R. WESTBROOK (VIRGINIA BEACH, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)
Don't buy this, it's only a few pages long, not long enough for a decent plot, and a waste of money!~

4.0 out of 5 stars The suspense dude adds a touch of horror, August 18, 2013
Teddi Deppner (Lincoln, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)
Perfect short story to sandwich in over lunch or a coffee break. About a man trying to get a little quiet time fishing. Two hikers interrupt him and they are just weird enough to make you start to wonder. You know something's coming, but the details are a surprise. Nicely done.

It says it is based on a Lawrence Block story, and I was concerned I wouldn't get the story if I hadn't read Block's. But "Autumnal" stands alone just fine. In fact, now I'm intrigued enough to search out Block's original story!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Quick Story, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)
I borrowed this story from the Prime library, and I must say, it was a fun, quick read. It only took me a few minutes to read, but I enjoyed to dark, tense feel of the story, and the ending topped it all off. I'll definitely read more of Mr. Bell's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding storytelling, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)
As is typical of James Scott Bell's work, he both entertains, thrills, and instructs in the craft of writing. This short story had all the elements of great short fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dedicated and fitting, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Autumnal (A Story) (Kindle Edition)
No spoilers here, just a well written story about hikers and a fisherman. Mr Bell is a great storyteller. Can't wait for his next novel.

Autumnal (A Story)