5.0 out of 5 stars A very good introduction to Structured Query Language
Published on January 9, 2009 by J. Guthrie

This book cost so much for such a terrible black and white printing job. For the price of $80 they should at least have a hardcover and color pages and better quality pages. Looks like a $5 book.
Published 5 months ago by delete

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good introduction to Structured Query Language, January 9, 2009
J. Guthrie (Memphis, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Guide to SQL (Available Titles Skills Assessment Manager (SAM) - Office 2010) (Paperback)
My comments are about the 6th and 7th editions of the book. It was the required text for a college course about Structured Query Language. The school offered other courses about database theory and design. The book only covers SQL. It is not about database theory or database design. The book assumes the reader either understands database theory or is taking a database concepts course and is required to also learn SQL.

In the first chapter it presents 2 (6th) or 3 (7th) databases that are used throughout the book to teach SQL. The chapters are relatively short but are packed with material and have summaries, lists of key terms, review questions and plenty of exercises (for each database). We were required to work through all the end-of-chapter sections.

I believe you can best learn sql by using it and the chapter exercises allow you to do that. The database we used was MS Access and the sample databases were already set up for us. The book comments on differences in SQL syntax between various popular databases.

I was surprised to read some of the negative comments made by other posters although some of them were about earlier editions. Don't buy this book expecting to learn database theory or design; it has a narrow focus, as the title suggests: SQL.

I still refer back to this book, among others, when I have a question about SQL syntax.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good way to start learning SQL basics, October 16, 2012
This book is great for a beginner learning SQL programming. It was assigned in my Intro to SQL Class. I think having an instructor guiding you is important, but this book could still teach someone learning on their own. They walk you through the fundamentals of using SQL - creating tables, altering data, running basic to intermediate queries, creating indexes and views... and in the last chapter they start talking about more advanced stuff like Stored Procedures, cursors, and some specifics of T-SQL.

This book was designed as a true basic guide to SQL, so they give you the most fundamental way of doing something, then explain how that would look different in various DBMS's like Oracle, Access, SQL Sever. Some people will probably be confused by the different rules of each DBMS - I would say focus on the one(s) you are actually using or able to use. At work I use SQL Server, but at home (where I was doing my homework) I was only able to use Access. So I focused on those two. Would I be slower if I tried to jump into Oracle tomorrow? Yes, but I have a good enough understanding of the basics of using SQL that I know I could get started in Oracle, and be able to solve simple syntax problems by referencing back to this book or going online. And if I wanted to be an Oracle expert, I would take an Oracle specific course, of which there are many.

Last thought - especially if you are tackling this book on your own, you must do the exercises at the back of each chapter, at least for 2 of the 3 example databases. As our instructor explained it, repetition is key. Just like sports - someone can tell you how to shoot a jump ball, but you need to go out and do it a few hundred times to actually be decent at it. The exercises in the book provide the repetition you need to master these concepts. Some of it may seem menial at first, but they will make working in SQL second nature for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Beginners, November 16, 2013
S. Jackson (Ann Arbor, MI) - See all my reviews
This book was an optional text in a database class I am taking. The professor said it was one of the best books he came across for those just learning SQL. Since I'm new to SQL and database design in general I ended up picking this book up.

Aside from another book that I have related to database design, this is the only other database that I own that covers SQL commands. I don't really have any other point of reference to compare this book to in terms other SQL books, but I have to say that I am satisfied with the content of this one. The examples are clear and easy to understand for someone with no experience. If someone is new to SQL I would recommend this book.

I knock one star off the book due to the page and print quality. It doesn't feel like a high quality printing. Comes off as kind of cheaply done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and understand., May 30, 2013
This book is easy to reference and place sticky notes for referencing. It made my class effortless and worth keeping on your bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Beginners, January 8, 2013
I had to buy this book for my database class at UMSL. It was an easy read and you didn't feel like you were going to fall asleep the entire time you read it. My class used Oracle so that also helped alot.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book cost so much for such a terrible black and white printing job, August 29, 2014
delete (california) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Clear introductory text, August 8, 2010
James True (KELLER, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This is a complete and clear introductory text book. It covers the basics throughly. The material is presented logically and is easy to follow and understand. My one complaint is the use of gray boxes for impotent notes and additional information. The gray background screening is so dark that I could only read it in a brightly lit room. It appears the text was originally designed to be printed in color but went to production in B&W without any formatting adjustments. As with all college texts, it is seriously over priced, but what can you do?

3.0 out of 5 stars good, March 11, 2014
Worked perfect and I love the product. I am happy and will buy more if need be. Keep it up

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but Overpriced, February 17, 2014
The content of the book is helpful. The authors do a good job of giving an introduction to SQL programming and make it easily understandable. The book, in my opinion is very overpriced, though. It is not very long and the pages look like the publisher went printed them on a copier at the local public library. I would expect better quality considering the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I liked this product, February 16, 2014
I chose this product because it was required for my class. However; I was not able to buy the text at that time. Renting the book from Amazon was a Godsend. I would recommend this option to my fellow students.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Guide to SQL (Available Titles Skills Assessment Manager (SAM) - Office 2010)
$110.95 $89.78