Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 16, 2010
Not necessarily being an actual practicer of Wiccan i have always had an interest in it and what attributes it has. Having a large background in Indian heritage i can always say i have had an obsession with forests, water, the earth, and a closeness to nature in general. This album is a brilliant masterpiece of haunting ambient beauty and basically steals your soul and doesnt give it back until the album is over. All the songs are very in depth with much emotion but each one being its own entity. Staring off with Avalon (The Goddess of the Sacred Landscape) you really get the feeling sully puts his heart into it, also with the really great female vocalist he uses, its clear to see why the song is so beautiful and effective. 7 Years being one of the strongest tracks on the record is really a great song in itself, clocking in at just under 9 minutes it has a very powerful and moving vibe to it. I'll study more into what it means but i'm pretty sure it's the death of someone close, he's dealt with for 7 years. Broken Road is a great song very reminiscent of Geoff Tates solo song "Someone Else" only without the annoying high range vocals. The song sends chills up your spine and is obviously very personal mentioning Sullies father. Great track. Sinner's Prayer is a great Indian vibed track complete with chants, and orchestra which most songs on here consist of. Sully and the female vocalist(Lisa Guyer) whom i'm not familiar with, really help round out the entire album and as i said every song is great, at first they may seem to sound the same but give it a few listens, and you'll be hooked. I was on the first few listens, but since i only got it yesterday, its still fresh to me, will it stay that way? I'm sure of it.

Most albums can take a while to get use to and some if you get hooked to quickly it will get old fast, i found this to be the case with Nevermores-The Obsidian Conspiracy, which i wore out, but still is great. Many people will probably dog the albums Wiccan theme as they do Slayer with there Satanic themes, oh well to each there own. The songs on this are just superb and it puts you in a very relaxed, meditative state in which you won't want to return from. Thats something few albums have, let alone try. The theory of Reincarnation is something i have been interested in all my life, so as i study it i truly love to listen to the songs here, The Departed and The Rise being the ones closest to the subject. So even if your not interested in any of the spiritual type aspects of the album, buy it anyways, you'll be happy to just relax, and take a departure away form the grind, and the usual music we are stuck with. Also yes the name Jesus Christ is mentioned about twice in the record so for all the believers this won't be a problem. You'll especially like the track "My Light" if your a fan of gospel, and if you get up and start singing with it, who can blame you? Nothing wrong with that. So hats off to Sully, at least someone has the balls to bring in there personal and spiritual beliefs back into music. And as far as i'm concerned this is in a category all its own. Godsmack are a great band, and i'm glad they do so well, but i always did like songs like Serenity, Voodoo, Voodoo Too, and Spiral, so i'm glad Sully took the time to venture out on his own and try something like this. I think people from all walks of music will appreciate this CD, and it will go down as the best album is about 20 years or more, for the kind of music it is. Also its great for fans of Conjure One, Deep Forest, Enya and even Tiamat. So enjoy, i do.
55 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2010
I really like this cd. It shows Sully's real love and natural instinct for music. I read his insert about music and it reminded me of my feelings toward music. As a fellow drummer, I love ALL kinds of music, and think that it is neccessary to explore different "moods" and "soul feelings". I am also a Godsmack fan, my wife usually walks out of the room when I put them on, last night we both sat through this whole cd and loved it. I look forward to listening to this for many years to come. Thanks to Sully and all that are part of making this. I look forward to more like this from him!!
on September 16, 2010
I had read quite a bit about this solo release and how anticipated it was. Having been a Godsmack fan since day 1 and having experienced all of their amazing live performances on DVD, I was really chomping at the bit waiting for the release of "Avalon". With this CD Sully has taken everything that makes Godsmack what they are and simply stripped it all bare. Now don't be mistaken , this is not a rock record, far from it in fact. It's the voice but there is just so much more on offer here. The vocal talents of Sully and guest vocalist Lisa Guyer are simply breathtaking, interwoven with the tribal rhythms at play and the amazing cello and percussion courtesy of classically trained cellist Irina Chirkova, and percussionist Niall Gregory of Dead Can Dance. Each song becomes a journey and the entire album is complex musically but very listenable. Apparently Sully has featured some tracks off "Avalon" in his solo live performances throughout 2008 and 2009. So, if you like your music broad and have an open mind beyond the realms of rock or metal, this is for you. If you are expecting a downtuned Godsmack record, look elsewhere, but hey, it's still Sully Erna and his amazing voice is worth at least a listen....and no doubt once that happens..... you'll wanna buy "Avalon".
on May 23, 2012
What a beautiful CD! This CD is amazing from track one through to the end. I have been a fan of Godsmack for many years and was so excited to learn that Sully was coming out with solo material. Avalon, through beautiful music, tribal drum beats, poetic images, and haunting vocals, takes you on a journey through the mind and heart leading you to a place of spiritual peace and reflection. For those who are looking for the heavy rock pulse pounding sounds that drive Godsmack you may want to look elsewhere. Avalon sounds nothing like Godsmack but if you want to follow a dream, take a journey into a magical land, and see beyond the visible pop this haunting CD in the player, close your eyes, and let Sully be your guide through the Mysts of Avalon.
on November 4, 2010
The solo work of my brother in spirit, Sully Erna, is one of most beautiful works of Pagan/Wiccan musical art that I've hard to date. It is a truly inspiring album, and a must listen for all who are practioners of the ancient religion. I listen to Avalon during my daily mundane routines, as well as during my more spiritual moments. On a scale of 1-10, I give Avalon a 15!
I love this album and continue to listen to it regularly. I found it while facing some very tough times. It's such beautiful music that really helped me. I was a Godsmack fan before . So I knew Sully was very talented. I was amazed at just how well he can do music that can reach into your soul.
on February 9, 2016
I loved this CD. Great alternative music, and different from his Godsmack stuff. The CD is worth getting just for the song "My Light" for his daughter. I put that on repeat several times. There's more to Sully Erna than heavy rock and roll. Terrific solo CD
VINE VOICEon December 19, 2014
Sully Erna's musical compilation of his spiritual songs. He is Wiccan, a old earth religion and he has done very soothing and great songs that he has done.
Sully is the lead singer of Godsmack and it is very hard and 'angry' type music ( which I love ) .. but this is a different turn.
I really enjoy this CD and liked the fact that Sully has a different twist in his music style he can offer.
on December 27, 2013
I am in complete awe of this album.
The musicianship of the artists on here is just mind blowing.
Its very rhythmic, and poetic.
Defiantly has a spiritual undertone, but done in a very tasteful non-invasive way.
This is NOT a Godsmack album, its not aggressive heavy guitar shredding.
This is an "Artist" album, a lot of thought has gone into it musically, and it shows. Even though there are some really cool electric guitar licks in there, it is primarily on the acoustic side of things.
Its a beautiful piece of work, I have yet to introduce it to anyone who has not fallen in love with it.
Yes. Its THAT Amazing.
on November 21, 2014
I can't get enough of this album. It speaks from the heart and is full of emotion. I get lost in it every time I listen. I really like Sully in Godsmack. I LOVE him on his own. He has a unique voice unique style. Some of my music files got corrupted and I had lost this cd in a move. I thought I could live without it, and found that I couldn't. It's so good that I bought it twice.