Other Sellers on Amazon
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The extended collector's edition runs 16 minutes 28 seconds longer than the theatrical cut, and listed below are the major differences.
1) The opening scene is different, and starts with Jake in a wheelchair on Earth, in a Blade Runner-esque Earth city. The scene moves to scenes of Jake in his apartment, then taking liquid shots in a bar. Jake's narration of "I told myself I can pass any test a man can pass" and "They can fix the spinal if you got the money. But not on vet benefits, not in this economy" are inserted during this new opening scene.
Jake beats up a bar patron who is mistreating a woman, and then Jake and wheelchair are unceremoniously thrown outside by bouncers into an alley. While in the alley, Jake meets the two RDA representatives who bring him news of his brother's untimely death. Then the movie cuts back to the original theatrical cut where Jake sees his brother's body cremated, then awakes in space.
2) During Jake's initial flyover of Pandora in his avatar, they witness a herd of Sturmbeasts, buffalo-like creatures.
3) After seeing the Sturmbeasts, Grace, Jake, and Norm stop by Grace's old English school for the Na'vi. The school is now closed, abandoned, and some walls are riddled with bullet-holes. Norm finds a Dr. Seuss book, "The Lorax", on the ground. This scene explains how Neytiri knew English so well, and certainly gives some further backstory into Grace Augustine's character.
Interestingly, The Lorax can be seen as a metaphor for the Pandoran story.Read more ›
The video quality is fantastic. I have a Samsung 40" 3D setup and the movie was just beautiful to watch. Not quite the same as IMAX but very close (size of screen being the only difference that I could see). The 3D is, to my eyes, exactly as good as the IMAX on-screen version. I am a huge fan of the movie but believe me I would tell you if the video quality was not great.
I would not hesitate to do the purchase again (even considering the huge rip-off in price at this time) but advise others to consider if you really have to have it right now or can wait awhile.
Great movie, almost unbelievable video transfer quality, and a price that is just not right!
Hope this helps.
Some of the other low scores talk about the 3D version coming, but that is weak reason for most people because most do not own and will not own a 3D TV set. If you do your research on 3D TVs you will find they clunky and costly. Unless you are among the few who have a 3D TV, then there is no reason to wait to buy this release of Avatar if you enjoyed the movie.
For the few who have never seen the movie, the key factors to consider is if you are a science fiction fan, enjoy action movies, and if you consider yourself picky about dialog/originality, Avatar breaks no new ground when it comes to story, but it does take many of successful elements from other stories and rolls it into this one. The bashing on acting is overkill. In general they did a fine job, not exceptional, but anyone who loves science fiction will find the acting a step above the normal for this type of movie. The dialog is nothing special. There are mostly cliche characters and situations. The key is the entire package is very well done. No movie is perfect and as much as some people bash this, just look at the box office sales. Bad movies would have never set top sales records no matter how much marketing was behind it.Read more ›
1. A special edition including 20 minutes of additional footage was released just months after Theatrical Edition. (But fans weren't told until it was too late)
2. No special features in 2 disc Theatrical Edition. If you are a fan, of all the discs in your collection this is the one you really want the extra stuff.
3. 3D version also now available, though not in the extended version yet. This movie is considered a reference disc in 3D and the extensive CGI use makes it a great story to be seen in that medium, as are most animated movies. Hopefully a 3D Extended Version will be released soon.
Regarding the multiple releases while holding back on the whole package: The studios are becoming so brazen. Offering bare bones Blu Rays shortly before re-releasing the movie with additional footage was a classless act that kicks dirt in the face of fans. I completely understand the business side of the equation. However, I think we would all like to see them release multiple versions and let fans decide how much they need verses how much to spend. At least release a complete package a year or so on. There still isn't an extended 3D version US general release at the time of my update Dec 2014. The first 3D release was just the theatrical edition, even though the extended footage was already available. It's like pulling teeth to get these studios to release everything fans want in a single package, even down the road. After all the releases we have had, they really owe it to fans to do something for us, rather than themselves. We all understand the business side and multiple releases are no surprise. But seriously, this is somewhat an old movie now!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Awesome movie, the 3D in this movie is wonderful... The depth of view is really good.Published 4 minutes ago by Ricardo Dominguez
This is an incredible movie. The story is gripping, the visuals are enchanting or captivating, the characters are "real," and it's definitely worth watching multiple times. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Debi-Ann Ward
Great special effects. Although we saw in in the theatre we enjoyed it again. Beautiful colors, great story and a real ending that did not leave you hanging.Published 1 day ago by Amazon Customer
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|Save Your Money Avatar 3D Will Be Released This Fall||
Jul 18, 2012 by BIGJOEJGDE | See all 6 posts
|Avatar Blu-Ray problem||
What model of Blu-Ray player do you have? Amazon states in the intro to the two-disc (Blu-ray/Standard) set that some older players "might" require a firmware update. They do post links but they're not that helpful. If that doesn't resolve the problem, I'd suggest posting the question... Read More
Apr 22, 2010 by Tech Support | See all 139 posts
|Did Avatar Changed Your Lifestyle?||
So talking about glen beck makes you spell differently? All i know glen beck makes me want to shove a pencil in my ear.
When i saw avatar the first time in the "showhouse"(whatever that is) it made me want to change the way i live my live.
1: It doesnt matter how much or how little... Read More
Jul 9, 2010 by C. Schein | See all 60 posts
|ok, who else thinks that James Cameron is a plagiarist?||
I think I read somewhere that there are only 6 basic storylines that all works of art in books/movies can be derived from.
Mar 30, 2010 by Wolffie | See all 201 posts
The soldiers in the movie were not official military. They were previous military but in the movie were employed by the company. That makes them mercenaries, an important distinction.
Jun 5, 2010 by Frenat | See all 20 posts
|What is the difference between the 3-D Blu-Ray Combo Pack ($19.99) and...||Be the first to reply|