Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Aveeno Baby Wash & Shampoo with Natural Oat Extract 18-Ounce
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Style Name: Baby Wash and Shampoo|Size: 18 Ounce|Change
Price:$6.00+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on November 17, 2011
Added note: Aveeno is a Johnson & Johnson brand. It's supposed to be their 'better' brand of shampoo, but has same dangerous chemicals as all their lines of shampoos. The review is for this product, which we owned and used until we learned of this fiasco.

After years of being pressured to remove harmful chemicals from the baby shampoos, Johnson and Johnson finally announced today that they will phase them out in next 2 years or earlier. A simple google search of 'chemicals in baby shampoo' brings up articles from USA Today, Reuters, Associated Press, Fox News, CBS News, etc.

The 2 nocive chemicals are 1.4 dioxane and formaldehyde. None are listed in the ingredients section because they are a byproduct of other chemicals shown on the label. There are countless articles on this and this has been in the news at least twice in the past 2 weeks.

These substances are banned in most European countries, but still used by J&J in their US baby shampoo. Reason? They are very cheap to make and this market is not regulated. The fact that today they agreed to phase them out is a first step in the right direction, although it will not motivate me to ever buy their products again.

For now, we have stopped using this shampoo and are extremely disappointed in the way J&J has treated US babies. We bought 2 organic shampoos from Amazon, based on ratings from Skin Deep Database and plan to stay with these for now.

What should you do? I don't pretend I know what is good for your kids, but would recommend to do your homework about what you buy for them. Protecting them from all the chemicals in our life is impossible, but everything starts one step at a time.
2424 comments|413 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2010
My twin baby boys have been suffering from eczema since their 1st month, and they're 13 months now. Our pediatrician originally recommended Cetaphil & prescription strength hydrocortizone to get control of the flair ups. Cetaphil didn't help at all, so I tried the Aveeno Soothing Relief MOisturizing cream. That worked in combination with the medicated creams. But we still had to apply the Hydrocortizone daily just to relieve the itching & rashes. But THIS product seems take care of it all by itself!!! It not only gets rid of the rashes but also leaves their skin soooo silky smooth! Just how baby skin should feel like, right? We've only been using it for a week but I just had to share the good news. I am very happy with this product.
11 comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2015
Unfortunately made my son's eczema worse! He is 6mo old. I tried it two months ago but i started aveeno body wash on the same day (it was scented whoops).. So i wasn't sure if the cream also made it worse or if it was just from the scented body wash. So we went back to our normal body wash and his eczema went back to baseline (Rashy patches but not inflamed)-- tried the aveeno cream again last night and this morning his skin is so inflamed, rashy? and red! Ughhh i guess we can't use this stuff for his skin :(
review image review image
on July 21, 2013
My son has bad eczema on his torso and arms and I've been searching in vain for a product that keeps his rash under control. The one time I applied this to his chest, he was screaming within seconds and his entire chest turned bright red. This lotion made his eczema worse! I immediately stripped off his clothes and gave him a bath, and only after every bit of lotion was washed away did he stop crying.

He is not allergic to oatmeal. I compared the other ingredients in this lotion with other lotions that he can use safely, and I discovered Benzalkonium Chloride is in this lotion but none of his other lotions. I looked up Benzalkonium Chloride and discovered it is a known skin irritant and should not be used on rashes or eczema. Why Aveeno thought it would be a good idea to include it in an eczema lotion is beyond me.
66 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2014
Smells fresh and baby-like...but I noticed that the way it felt on my sons skin was a little drying. I'm not sure yet if I would like to use this as both a body wash and a shampoo. I noticed his hair felt a little dry as well.

Pros:
Rinses clean
Smells great!!
Has oat extract

Cons:
A little too drying, must use lotion afterwards to counter effects of wash
Too drying on hair

I found that the regular aveeno adult body wash works better on the body though not as a shampoo. I will not be purchasing this product for wintertime use, in the summer I can see where it'll have better benefits. But for now, I'm going to find something a little more moisturizing for my son's skin.
on April 14, 2016
Aveeno has been a great product for our toddler. We realized that our baby had very sensitive skin around 45 days of birth. All Johnson products were too bad for sensitive skin from shampoo to oil..we were then suggested to switch brands. Our next resort was Parents choice which also could not solve the problem. One of our friends told us that aveeno can be a better option. Since then we have never looked back.

Currently we buy all of our stuffs from Amazon as becoming a prime member comes with two days shipping benefits, and with subscribe and save there is always more chance to save some money. However, this time it was a hefty price to pay. We did not know that we were out of Aveeno shampoo and my spouse thought it would be OK to use another brand shampoo in the mean time as subscribe and save items are not delivered quickly. Suddenly we are now dealing with eczema and other rashes on our toddler. However, we also are finding in the meantime that thyme oil can be best in healing eczema.

May be you guys have your opinion or suggestion to me. Is there any brand you are trying for a sensitive skin? What product has helped you or your baby?
on January 23, 2016
I don't really use any fragrance to n my baby so I as surprised that this smelled so strong of perfumy fragrance. I use the other aveeno eczema wash and it is truly fragrance free. It is too strong for my baby and her skin so I have this in the guest room now!
on May 19, 2015
It seems most people have a good review and probably my baby is one of the exceptions but just by using aveeno baby eczema therapy moisturizing cream in two days my baby was covered all over her body with even more rashes. I would advice you test a portion of your baby's body with it for a while before general use, especially if you have noticed your baby has sensitive skin like mine. What helped my LO with her skin rash though is cussons baby lotion cares & protects. Wish I kud give 0 star rating for this product. :-(
review image
on February 11, 2016
As a first time mom, I only knew about Johnson & Johnson products. So naturally, my initial instinct was to use the Johnson & Johnson baby products I received during my baby shower. I wasn't impressed. My second son didn't respond well to their products and seemed to get a mild rash every time we used it. After some research, we decided to give Aveeno a try. We absolutely loved it. Aveeno has a mild scent and is gentle on his skin. Two years later, I am still using Aveeno products on my son and now on my newborn daughter. It's so gentle, I even use it on my own skin :) love the way it cleanses my face. Here's another little plus...great to wash makeup brushes with!!!
on October 27, 2011
I applied this to my baby girl who had mild redness; and after applying this aveeno lotion to her irritated area it got ten times worst. So be careful on putting this lotion on your baby's skin if you really want to try, test it first on your baby skin but don't apply all over the irritated area.