Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer Subscribe & Save minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

Style Name: Baby Wash and ShampooSize: 18 OunceChange
Price:$4.49+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on August 14, 2010
My twin baby boys have been suffering from eczema since their 1st month, and they're 13 months now. Our pediatrician originally recommended Cetaphil & prescription strength hydrocortizone to get control of the flair ups. Cetaphil didn't help at all, so I tried the Aveeno Soothing Relief MOisturizing cream. That worked in combination with the medicated creams. But we still had to apply the Hydrocortizone daily just to relieve the itching & rashes. But THIS product seems take care of it all by itself!!! It not only gets rid of the rashes but also leaves their skin soooo silky smooth! Just how baby skin should feel like, right? We've only been using it for a week but I just had to share the good news. I am very happy with this product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2011
Added note: Aveeno is a Johnson & Johnson brand. It's supposed to be their 'better' brand of shampoo, but has same dangerous chemicals as all their lines of shampoos. The review is for this product, which we owned and used until we learned of this fiasco.

After years of being pressured to remove harmful chemicals from the baby shampoos, Johnson and Johnson finally announced today that they will phase them out in next 2 years or earlier. A simple google search of 'chemicals in baby shampoo' brings up articles from USA Today, Reuters, Associated Press, Fox News, CBS News, etc.

The 2 nocive chemicals are 1.4 dioxane and formaldehyde. None are listed in the ingredients section because they are a byproduct of other chemicals shown on the label. There are countless articles on this and this has been in the news at least twice in the past 2 weeks.

These substances are banned in most European countries, but still used by J&J in their US baby shampoo. Reason? They are very cheap to make and this market is not regulated. The fact that today they agreed to phase them out is a first step in the right direction, although it will not motivate me to ever buy their products again.

For now, we have stopped using this shampoo and are extremely disappointed in the way J&J has treated US babies. We bought 2 organic shampoos from Amazon, based on ratings from Skin Deep Database and plan to stay with these for now.

What should you do? I don't pretend I know what is good for your kids, but would recommend to do your homework about what you buy for them. Protecting them from all the chemicals in our life is impossible, but everything starts one step at a time.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2015
Unfortunately made my son's eczema worse! He is 6mo old. I tried it two months ago but i started aveeno body wash on the same day (it was scented whoops).. So i wasn't sure if the cream also made it worse or if it was just from the scented body wash. So we went back to our normal body wash and his eczema went back to baseline (Rashy patches but not inflamed)-- tried the aveeno cream again last night and this morning his skin is so inflamed, rashy? and red! Ughhh i guess we can't use this stuff for his skin :(
review image review image
on October 27, 2011
I applied this to my baby girl who had mild redness; and after applying this aveeno lotion to her irritated area it got ten times worst. So be careful on putting this lotion on your baby's skin if you really want to try, test it first on your baby skin but don't apply all over the irritated area.
on July 21, 2013
My son has bad eczema on his torso and arms and I've been searching in vain for a product that keeps his rash under control. The one time I applied this to his chest, he was screaming within seconds and his entire chest turned bright red. This lotion made his eczema worse! I immediately stripped off his clothes and gave him a bath, and only after every bit of lotion was washed away did he stop crying.

He is not allergic to oatmeal. I compared the other ingredients in this lotion with other lotions that he can use safely, and I discovered Benzalkonium Chloride is in this lotion but none of his other lotions. I looked up Benzalkonium Chloride and discovered it is a known skin irritant and should not be used on rashes or eczema. Why Aveeno thought it would be a good idea to include it in an eczema lotion is beyond me.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2013
This doesn't have any of the chemicals that are being recalled in it. It's very good on sensitve skin b/c there is little scent to it. It's the best to use and I'd highly recommend it!
on February 28, 2015
I have tried the following moisturizers (Johnson & Johnson Baby oil, Olive oil, SebaMed Baby Lotion, SebaMed Baby Cream, Cetaphil Skin Moisturizer (Formulated for Eczema), Eucerin Professional Repair Lotion, Eucerin Calming Crème, Eucerin Original Healing Repair Crème, Eucerin Intensive Repair Extra-Enriched Hand Crème, Medela Tender Care Lanolin, Aquaphor Healing Ointment (Dry, Cracked, and Irritated Skin Protectant), Laroche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5, Organic Coconut oil, Eucerin Baby Eczema Crème, Aveeno Eczema Cream, Lucas Papaw Ointment, Raw Apothecary Unrefined Raw Shea Butter.

The Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream is one of the best that I like and also helps my daughter's Eczema. It's cream but easy to absorb from skin. It keeps the skin moisturized better than lotions. It has a smell of oat and calms the rash/Eczema down. It's at a reason price range. If Subscribe & Save from Amazon with 4 other products, you can save up to 15% on each item. It's a pretty good deal. This works as well as the Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream (without the word "BABY)". They have exactly the same ingredients. Buy either one that has the lowest price by oz is the best way to save money.
review image
on February 21, 2014
When I was pregnant with my first child, I did a lot of research on what soap to use. I read a lot of medical articles on johnson and johnson and found that they use so many chemicals in their soap, really scary stuff. I then read up on Aveeno and found that this was the safest and most effective product. And after two years and two babies using it, I can confirm this is a great, safe and effecitve product. It has a very light, pleasant smell and works on infants all the way up to dirty toddlers. It has never caused irritation and doesn't sting the eyes. It also creates good bubbles for a bubble bath. I only buy this product from Amazon because it is the best price.
on April 14, 2013
My 5-month-old girl had a horrible allergic reaction to this product. Before applying this cream, she only had a mild redness on her cheeks due to eczema. After applying this cream, however, her skin became very itchy and red. There were two large areas that started oozing. I immediately stopped using this product and put Aquaphor on her. After two days of oozing and healing, now her skin finally looked normal again. Please use caution when applying this product!
on January 22, 2014
Smells fresh and baby-like...but I noticed that the way it felt on my sons skin was a little drying. I'm not sure yet if I would like to use this as both a body wash and a shampoo. I noticed his hair felt a little dry as well.

Rinses clean
Smells great!!
Has oat extract

A little too drying, must use lotion afterwards to counter effects of wash
Too drying on hair

I found that the regular aveeno adult body wash works better on the body though not as a shampoo. I will not be purchasing this product for wintertime use, in the summer I can see where it'll have better benefits. But for now, I'm going to find something a little more moisturizing for my son's skin.