Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on November 11, 2014
Shown in Great Britain for more than five years (debuting in 1961) before it caught on in America, The Avengers is a secret-agent thriller that almost bests James Bond. Jonathan Steed - an urbane, proper gentleman spy - and adventurous citizen Emma Peel repeatedly saved the world from diabolical schemes plotted by equally diabolical evil-doers (among them robots and man-eating monsters). The 3-disc Blu-ray release of The Avengers: Season 5 is presented in 1080p at 4x3 full screen format with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround. English SDH subtitles are included. I was worry that 25 episodes on 3 disc would not add to good picture quality but I might say I was very impress with this set. The colors are solid and the image very sharp.

Episodes include:

22. The Positive-Negative Man
23. Murdersville
24. Mission: Highly Improbable
25. The Forget-Me-Knot

This is a wonderful blast of sixties TV nostalgia, with all the episodes feeling as fresh and as exciting as ever with their glossy new re-mastered transfers. Needless to say, another top recommendation.
55 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2014
Classic 60's cult British Spy-Fi TV series gets the five-star treatment it deserves on Blu-ray with exceptionally remastered Hi-Def quality. All 25 episodes of season 5 are here in their original 1.33:1 aspect ratio and are "pillarboxed" to preserve their original framing. The transfers look beautiful with good contrast and vibrant saturation showcasing the color episodes of the series. The 5.1 sound mix is very good for a show that was originally mixed in mono with noticeable rear-channel ambiance on music, especially during the titular iconic title-sequence. The Avengers have never looked or sounded better, in my opinion. There are no extras like documentaries or episodic promos, unfortunately. I was pleasantly surprised that this was released on the same day as Batman The Complete TV Series Limited Edition Blu-ray and compliments it perfectly as among the best of classic 60's cult television.

WARNING: When I received my discs at the time of its release, I was unable to redeem my Ultra-Violet digital copies using the redemption code that was provided. The instructions directs you to go to redeemmovie.com where you must choose a provider: VuDu, Flixster, CinemaNow, or Target Ticket. NONE of these providers presently have these episodes available for streaming or download and when I tried to redeem the code from Flixster I got an "Error 5001 Oops! We're having trouble processing your request. Please try again." This is very disappointing since I like to stream television episodes to my digital devices to watch anywhere. Hopefully Lionsgate will resolve this technical oversight but they should have been made available at the time of the Blu-ray release.

UPDATE: According to Flixster the redemption code will be available to redeem after November 21, 2014.
on November 12, 2014
sharp picture which plays and looks good on my blu-ray player and HD TV. The remastered video looks much better than the recent re-release of the EMMA PEEL set which were simply the old old dvd copies. Remastered dvds were released in the UK.

Speaking of the UK remastered dvds...they were plagued with audio pitch problems, eventually fixed by the manufacturer. Coincidentally or not, that's also the case here. The video and runtime are the correct film speed, but the audio pitch is equivalent to the PAL format. If you're familiar with the actors or the Ntsc release, you will notice an occasional oddness to their voices here. I've returned them for a refund, and will re-purchase if they ever fix the problem. Would also be nice if they included the regular mono audio instead of only 5.1, for we who dont have a home theater.
FYI, on at least one episode the audio is sometimes out of sync (noticeable when actors are talking), specifically "Mission...Highly Improbable."
Comments about the audio pitch can be found on blu-ray forum.
2020 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2014
I just received the blu ray of this, my fave show ever. The picture quality is superb and Steed and Emma have never looked better! Now if we can get season 4 in this pristine quality I can die a happy man!
77 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2014
I can't say much more than "I LOVE THIS SHOW". With witty dialog, clever plots, beautiful photography and possibly the hottest female that ever lived as a co-star you can't go wrong. This show was the primary reason I bought a VCR, a DVD player and Amazon Instant Video -though with the latter I had to wait patiently for a year or two. The only thing better than this is Season 4 of "The Avengers" - the black & white season with Diana Rigg which is the best television drama series ever filmed. (I'm still waiting patiently for that one).

I should also add that at $19.00 the price is tremendous. I paid more than that for each of the four A&E DVD sets that made up this season so I was expecting to pay in the mid $30 range.

Yes, it's THAT good.
on January 16, 2015
This is season five of the quirky upbeat espionage sci-fi show called The Avengers from 1966 which features the first year the series was shot in colour. This was Diana Rigg's (Emma Peel) second year with the series playing along side Patrick Macnee (John Steed) who had been with the show since 1961.

The episodes have been nicely remastered with the images cleaned up of the dirt and dust that was found on the dvds. This was a great upgrade from my dvds. I look forward to the rest of the series being remastered onto blu-ray.
on March 27, 2015
Sound a little low on this BD, otherwise these John Steed and Mrs. Emma Peel episodes look and sound better than ever before. No one but the original filmmakers--these were shot on 35mm film--could have seen these episodes looking this good back in the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, and 2000s. If you are new to The Avengers and want a glimpse of one of the greatest TV shows ever, this is a good place to start.
on November 18, 2014
Update: Well, it's been almost a year since I wrote this review. Still no hint of further releases. What gives?

Despite the large number of episodes per disc, this looks fantastic. Outstanding clarity and color. I don't really notice the supposed "PAL speed issue". Maybe it's there, but I'm not hearing it. I've got the original DVDs (those two-packs) and if I did a comparison maybe I'd notice. The bottom line is that this is a surprisingly good deal. I've been waiting YEARS for this. I hope further seasons will be forthcoming. I love the black and white stuff. Let's have season 4, please. Of course, a nice big commemorative package would be nice, with everything available included. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I will add that there are some contrast issues that could have been addressed. Most of it looks fine. One example would be the opening; Steed's bowler should be nice and dark. It's a middle gray. I originally watched this on the US TV broadcast; bad reception, ghosting, etc. I recently found some old Polaroids I took of the screen, back in the day (yes, I was obsessed with the show). Wow, the images were so bad. But the show was so great I watched it anyway. This new set is easily worth an Alexander Hamilton. Bring on the "mega set"!
on December 15, 2014
Audio is sped up by about 4% due to PAL frame rate/UK presentation and not formatted properly for NTSC/US viewers. The result is that everyone is speaking at a slightly higher pitch and pace. How could this happen after our long wait for this Blu-ray edition? The visuals are overall really nice (albeit a bit unnatural), with the exception that some episodes and the title sequences suffer from poor contrast and color balance. I'm sensitive to the speed-up, which effects the performances at a fundamental level. The set should be recalled and corrected IMHO.
This classic, witty spy series arrived in color with the fifth season (which is why Lion's Gate has chosen to release season five ahead of others including season four where the series finally appeared in America). The new Blu-ray release from Lion's Gate is a mixed bag for a variety of reasons but still beats the DVD's previously issued hands down; the colors are fairly vivid throughout giving the primary colors some pop in high definition.

There are a number of issues with this set however including the amount of episodes per disc. If Lion's Gate had put these on four discs it would have given the film a bit of breathing room improving detail by allowing a more robust bit rate (the bit rate averages between 10-20 depending on the episode). It also wouldn't have necessitated the use of high frequency filtering which often times removes additional film grain. Both of these are issues BUT most fans won't notice this as the detail does improve on the DVDs and the episodes have been cleaned up signficantly. Since these episodes are presented in their original aspect ratio we have the episodes presented with pillar boxes on both sides which, again, allows for a bit more breathing room in terms of bit rate for the series.

Because of the anemic bit rate Lion's Gate chose not to include either a lossless audio presentation (it's Dolby Digital 5.1)or the original mono soundtrack that was prepared for the show. It's a pity that neither optionw as offered for the series. During the 5.1 conversion it appears that the audio was pitched up (perhaps they used the first UK set as a reference where there was a PAL 4% speed up on the dialog).

An additional disc might have raised the price of this by about $5 so, if the price point was the big concern here, the series would still have sold well with a better presentation AND some extra room for the extras that were prepared for the restored DVDs overseas. We don't get any special features with this set which is frustrating because there are special features offered on the previous DVDs including a documentaries, featurettes and audio commentary tracks. It's rather bizarre given that these were already produced that Lion's Gate and A&E elected NOT to include them (or even present the docs and featurettes in SD). It's a puzzling move given that other cult series like "The Prisoner" and "Space:1999" BOTH were loaded with special features in additional to being spread across more discs for a superior A/V presentation.

If you're displeased with the lack of special features, the lower image quality because of packing so many episodes per disc, you should write and let Lion's Gate know. Perhaps we will also see a correction for the pitched up dialog (all of which I think it doubtful that they will be fixed) as well but, either way, this is a missed opportunity to produce a terrific set. For those interested in only the series and willing to accept some of the limitations of the image quality, this set will do just fine. For those that are disappointed, you may want to wait and see if the UK release is Region Free (I doubt it) or pick up a multi region Blu-ray player for the series.

I'm cautiously recommending this set.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse