4.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning to Perhaps the Best Avengers Story in Years
Published 16 months ago by DaveWire

3.0 out of 5 stars The Avengers expand their influence
Published 16 months ago by Ian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning to Perhaps the Best Avengers Story in Years, April 30, 2013
This review is from: Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!) (Hardcover)
Coming off of Brian Bendis' virtually unbroken monopoly on Avengers titles since 2004, Jonathan Hickman jumps right into the Avengers with what is perhaps not the most exciting of story arcs. A would-be world destroyer attacks Earth and the Avengers rush off to face him. Yawn. However, the first issue takes a bit of a twist when Earth's Mightiest are unceremoniously beaten (even Thor and Hulk) allowing for the promised expansion of the roster which feature several new characters including a new Hyperion (a pastiche of Superman) and a new Smasher (who some might remember as the repeatedly killed off member of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard). While the first arc, comprising the first three issues in this volume, seems generic, it soon becomes apparent that this has all been a staging ground for a much grander epic story. By the end of the volume, the nature of the Marvel Universe and what makes Earth so important starts to come into question.

Overall, this is a fun read and leaves you excitedly nostalgic for Marvel's New Universe which will play a heavy role in the overarching plot that Hickman will be overseeing. Like Warren Ellis did in newuniversal, Hickman wonderfully reenergizes the the New Universe concept and seamlessly draws it into the mainstream Marvel Universe, the effects of which will become more apparent in Avengers, Vol. 2: The Last White Event.

Hickman's writing is wonderful throughout and he gives a nice little nod to the Golden Age in issue 5. The new characters get their own little spotlights so you aren't left wondering who they are for the most part. Some might become confused near the end by Spider-Man's suddenly erratic behavior, but if you are following Superior Spider-Man, you should know what's going on with him.

All in all, this is a great start to what should play out to be an interesting mystery in the Marvel Multiverse. The Machine is Broken.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Avengers expand their influence, May 9, 2013
This review is from: Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!) (Hardcover)
Brian Michael Bendis cast a pretty huge shadow on the Avengers universe following his decade-long run on the series. Many fans were left wondering who could carry the torch and not be intimidated by what had come before. Enter Jonathan Hickman, a master storyteller coming off a critically acclaimed run on the Fantastic Four. On that series, Hickman told a sweeping epic that lasted several years. The same could be said of his work on Secret Warriors. With that in mind, know that Avengers World will be the first chapter in another long opus by a master of the long story. Collecting the first six issues of Avengers, this story finds the core team (Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye) traveling to Mars to take on Ex Nihilo, a villain who launches origin bombs at Earth, in the hopes of recreating evolution on the planet. The battle doesn't go the way our heroes expect, and only Cap is able to escape. He soon begins an aggressive recruitment drive that finds the team taking on members from all corners of the Marvel U. We get Bendis mainstays like Spiderman, Wolverine, Spiderwoman and Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers). We also get newcomers like Shang Chi, Hyperion, Captain Universe, Smasher, Eden Fesi and Cannonball and Sunspot from the new mutants. A pretty well-rounded crew! The first 3 issues deal with the new team, and how they handle this threat. Jerome Opena handles the art on these issues, and it looks gorgeous. I was a big fan of his art on Uncanny X-Force, and it only seems to get better here. Issues 4-6 are standalone tales, featuring a new member of the team. Adam Kubert is the artist on these issues. I wasn't a big fan of these issues, as they felt like filler to me. I also felt Kubert's art was a step down from the stunning visuals of Opena. That's why I'm only giving this book 3 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Avengers Go Large, October 30, 2013
Culleton (Winchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!) (Hardcover)
I'm not overly familar with any of Jonathan Hickman's previous work (I dabbled in FF a couple of years ago), but being a fan of the Avengers already I kept the title I've been collecting for 3 years. Honestly, I'm not sure why Marvel relaunched everything with a new Marvel NOW revamp - there was nothing wrong with the status quo, but revamp they did and this is one of the results.

This new direction is a bold step. Tony Stark confers with Steve Rogers and tells him that due to bigger threats, they need a bigger team. This is entirely reasonable and makes good sense, and I enjoyed the part where he's kind of recruiting his new team members, many of which I'm not at all familar with (Hyperion, Capt Universe, Manifold, Cannonball, Sunspot and Smasher).

But then a threat emerges from Mars and I started to yawn a bit. I perservered, and am still collecting the title, but it's been tough going if I'm honest.

I've spent quite some time trying to put my finger on what bothers me about the new story. I think it's simply the new members of the team, and the new "bad guys". Hickman is tellng me that the universe and all the worlds within are created by some super beings called Builders. This is like Ridley Scott telling me that the Earth was created by Engineers in Prometheus. There is a similarity here, and it bothered me about Prometheus.

I'm happy with the art and colouring, which is of a high standard. I'm still coming to terms with the storyline. It isn't terrible - it's just a new concept for me. Remember when the bad guys were Norman Osborn or AIM or Hydra? That's probably what bothers me (although AIM do appear later on in this title - probably around Vol 3).

I'm led to believe that Uncanny Avengers is the better title, where our familiar heroes (again with a couple of extras after the fallout of AvX) battle some familiar foes - I probably should have collected this title instead. However, if you do perservere with this title, it all leads to something bigger and the entire series is growing on me, so don't despair.

After the Marvel NOW launch, we have Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Avengers Arena (an absolutely dreadful comic), Young Avengers, Avengers Assemble and probably a couple of others I've missed out. I'm hearing good things about Uncanny Avengers, and New Avengers is on my next hit list to be reviewed as that is not bad either. If you're worried about Avengers Saturation, I'd recommend the plain old Avengers title, as it has definitely grown on me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gotta get bigger...zzz..., May 20, 2013
This review is from: Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!) (Hardcover)
I really like Jonathan Hickman's Manhattan Projects and he strikes me as a good ideas guy who puts together really cool designs like logos in his books, but, man, try as I do, I just cannot warm to any of his superhero comics. They're all filled with what seem like big ideas - "gods" creating life, high evolution, solving galaxy-sized problems, looking at the universe as a whole - but reading it is just the blandest, most boring experience.

The comics almost always feature narratives along the lines of creation, space, the universe, and abstract characters like a New Adam or the Mother of the Universe. The first three issues of Avengers World has a trio of World Engineers who've lived for millions (or billions or whatever, it doesn't matter) years creating and destroying worlds and they've now set their sights on Earth to terraform into a new utopia, wiping out humanity. Except they're on Mars which they're turned green with their alien tech and have decided to bombard Earth with organic bombs a la the giant bugs in Starship Troopers.

And then we get to the Avengers who teleport over to Mars to fight these god-like aliens. In what world do characters like Black Widow, Hawkeye, or Falcon stand a chance against these ridiculously powerful creatures? Even Cap, the team leader, really shouldn't make a dent on any of the alien creatures, throwing his shield at them or no. The only ones who could make a difference would be Thor, Hulk, Hyperion - the truly powerful members of the Avengers. It's farcical to believe that every member of the Avengers can make a difference in this scenario - even fan favourites like Spider-man and Wolverine seem useless in this story.

I get that Hickman is "going bigger" with this storyline but his additions to the team lineup render almost all of them useless. I mean, the Mother of the Universe? Why even bother having any other member on the team? Considering her powers are limitless and insanely powerful, it seems wholly pointless having someone like Spider Woman on her side as her contribution is completely diminished.

Hickman's bland storytelling, which involves characters talking abstractly about, what become, boring concepts - we've got to get bigger, we've got to get smarter, etc. over and over - makes for a truly tedious read. After the world-building aliens in the first three issues, the second half is a cobbled-together assortment of random space battles and setting up another Hickman-esque event storyline called The White Event. I'm trying but I really can't connect with his superhero stuff - reading this book makes me feel that he doesn't care at all and that he cares a lot all at the same time. I know, it's really weird.

But honestly, I did not care about anything in this book even for a moment. Big ideas, sure I guess - space adventures, god aliens - but executed so poorly as to render interesting ideas, dull. Once again, Hickman fails to interest with another superhero book. The one time I enjoyed the book was looking at the variant covers gallery and seeing Deadpool dancing gangnam style. If only that had been this book...

4.0 out of 5 stars These are NOT your father's Avengers!, December 21, 2013
N. Beitler "Avid Reader" (Aurora, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Title: Avengers: Avengers World
Publisher: Marvel
Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artists: Jerome Opena, Adam Kubert (pencils, inks), Dean White, Justin Ponsor, Morry Hollowell, Frank Martin, Richard Isanove, Frank D’Armata, Frank Martin (colors), Dustin Weaver & Justin Ponsor (covers)
Collects: Avengers #1-6
Price: $24.99

The flagship title of the MARVEL NOW! company-wide re-launch of all titles, Avengers is now being penned by Jonathan Hickman. For those unfamiliar with Hickman, you may want to look up some of his work in book like Secret Warriors or FF. Hickman LOVES to tell super-large all-encompassing stories, so – at least on the surface – he seems to be a good choice for Avengers type of material. More than any other Marvel super group, the Avengers battle world-threatening and galaxy-threatening menaces on a regular basis. While Avengers has never been a title I have had more than a passing interest in, I have kept up with it over the past few years (while Brian Michael Bendis was writing it). When I heard that Hickman was taking over with the post AvX re-launch, I knew I would give it a try, again. I really enjoyed his writing on Secret Warriors.

I have to say that this book is not exactly what I was expecting to see, but that’s not to say it was bad. I might say that this story is TOO grand in scale, if that is possible for a comic book. Hickman is out to not only leave a mark on this title for years to come, but to fundamentally change the origins of the Marvel comic universe. I know that this has been done before, but probably not so all-encompassing and detailed. Marvel’s comic book universe is a fictional universe that plays by its own rules. While very little actually makes sense in this universe, few writers have the know-how or guts to try to make any sort of explanations for the supernatural events that take place in it. Hickman tries that, here, with a modicum of success.

In this re-launch, Steve Rogers and Tony Stark make grand plans to re-invent and upgrade the Avengers team in preparation for more high-level threats that they feel will be coming their way. Sure enough, that is exactly what happens, and when the call for assistance goes out, these new, ultra-powerful heroes come running to give their own role models and idols all the assistance they can give.

Without giving away too many details, I’ll just say that the new Avengers that join with the core group are largely characters that have NEVER been Avengers, before this series. The new characters are ridiculously powerful, but seem to be just what is needed to fight the new threat. The first part of this book show how the threat reveals itself, how the core Avengers are unable to defeat it by themselves, and how they are rescued by the new team of Avengers. The second part of the book shows how these new team members came to be and how they gained their powerful abilities. Both halves of the book are entertaining, but in different ways.

Art on the book is grade A. Opena and Kubert are rock star artists, and the list of colorists on the book reads like a who’s who of the best colorists in the business. No complaints on the art from THIS reader.

Hickman has me curious to see what he cooks up next. I think it’s safe to say that the events of this book will directly lead into his work on the Infinity mini-series that he is currently writing. It will be the premiere Marvel cross-over storyline of the year, and he seems to already be setting up the foundations of that storyline in the opening pages of this ne Avengers book.

This is a good book, though not quite as entertaining or interesting as I was hoping for. I’ll stick around to see where things go from here and write a review of the next book in the series when that one debuts.

Writing: 7/10
Artwork: 9/10
Cool Factor: 7/10
Value: 7/10

Overall: 7.5/10

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm encouraged to keep reading, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!) (Hardcover)
It is really hard to judge Hickman's work off of 1 volume, as he a master of the "Mega Story Arc". For an example of this, look to his work on Fantastic Four, which covered around 14 graphic novels that all felt like part of an interconnected story.

Trying to avoid SPOILERS here, but that may not be possible.

That said, sorry about the SPOILERS:

Building off of a previous poster, the first half of this volume deals with the Avengers (the team as seen in Avengers Assemble or the movie) traveling to a seemingly terraformed Mars. There, they encounter Ex Nihilo, Abyss, and Aleph; Ex Nihilo is bent on accelerating the evolution of mankind, and he decimates the Avengers when they try to stop him. Captain America makes it back to Earth where he manages to call in additional Avengers.

The second half of this book deals with the after-effects of an Origin Bomb that Ex Nihilo fired at the Earth, while also showcasing Hyperion, Smasher, and Captain Universe, who have all had Hickman-supplied origins.

As I said, it is really hard to tell where Hickman is going with this story so early in the game, but I am looking forward to the ride. If you have looked at the solicitations for the next volume, it is safe to assume that Hickman is trying to reinvent Marvel's "New Universe" line for the new millenium; looking forward to what characters are going to appear.

Easy 4 stars for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., October 23, 2013
This review is from: Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!) (Hardcover)
Bought this for my fiance and he loved it, came it plastic wrap and the picture clarity was really great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, August 30, 2013
Great read. New story, great artwork and storyline. Anxious to read volume 2. Multiple storylines with Hyperion and the Shiar characters are intriguing.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHOA, July 31, 2013
This review is from: Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!) (Hardcover)
I was not expecting a hardcover book In which I was not paying attention but i love it the Avengers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun intro to a new era., July 21, 2013
Amazon Customer (Taylorsville, UT) - See all my reviews
This volume collects the first six issues of Hickman's run and it is a lot of fun. It sets up what looks to be a very big story and even brings back some stuff from the 80's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!)
Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World (Marvel NOW!) by Jonathan Hickman (Hardcover - April 30, 2013)
$24.99 $17.73