5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make'em like this anymore
Published 23 months ago by mov1ebu77

3.0 out of 5 stars Would've gotten 5 stars but.............
Published on April 5, 2012 by saito1878

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Would've gotten 5 stars but............., April 5, 2012
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
This is one of my ALL TIME Shaw brothers favorites. The Dragon Dynasty transfer is crisp and clean, the sound is also good. Only one problem; like the title of my review says, either it's just a bad dvd or someone f....d up in the editing dept. On my dvd I'm missing the fight between when Fu Sheng tries to kick Ku Feng on the stairs and when Ti Lung and Fu Sheng come at Ku with the double team. I will be getting in touch with Amazon or Dragon Dynasty one or the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make'em like this anymore, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
This film is definitely a classic revenge tale with a twist that you may or may not see coming depending on your knowledge and experience with Kung Fu cinema. I personally enjoyed the film for its story, plot, art design, action set pieces, and of course it use of martial arts. I can not say a whole lot without spoiling it, but all in all this is a great film to watch with others or by yourself for nostalgic reasons. If I have any complaints it is just I wished Shaw Brothers continued on to make more of these B-movie classics or at least got a chance to created a television inspired by all their old products. I definitely tune in to watch.....(sigh).... one can only dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way Better Than It Ought To Be, November 5, 2012
D. Allen Schaeffer (Dangerously close to Philly, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
I've seen tons of reviews for this, one of my favorite Shaw Brothers flicks, and so there's not much I can say that adds anything new to the discussion. I think maybe half of them use the word "solid" in terms of the script, the acting, and the fighting, and I can't argue.

What I can say is that this movie is far better than it looks on the printed page. Any description is automatic cliche': Two strangers meet in the wasteland, one escaping his past and his enemies, the other with a motive that might put the two of them at odds. Or, call it the story of a killer pained by the evils he's done, and slowly realizing how far he must go to atone. Or...a criminal hunted by his former brothers in arms, each specializing in his own exotic weapon...you get the idea. It sounds like standard stuff. Somehow, Ti Lung, Fu Sheng and Ku Feng(his best performance? Even including "Uncle?), under the direction of Sun Chung, take a solid (there's that word) story and impart it with real human impact. Ti Lung's performance, in particular, is heartbreaking at times - he's been a cold-blooded killer most of his life, yet he's like a child as he discovers morality. He's almost an innocent. Watch his reaction when Fu Sheng chastises him for stealing his horse and food - it's something I missed my first viewing, the almost wondering look on his face as he thinks "yes...that WAS wrong..."

And the fights, which are probably why you're looking at this in the first place, are great stuff. There's plenty of action as the hero, Chik Ming Sing, tries to stay ahead of ten of his former fellows, and fights for his life. He's no Gordon Liu or Lau Kar Leung with the three-sectioned staff, but again, great stuff. Far too often, a kung-fu flick's best fight isn't the final one, but Fu Sheng and Ti Lung go for broke in the intense final battle to push it one step beyond a terrific fight at a deserted inn at the end of the film's second act.

Then there's the ending. It hits hits you like a haymaker.

In short, this is a movie that completely rises above itself from start to finish, and takes you by surprise. Even if you're not into the whole HK cinema thing, it belongs in your DVD collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Old School Kung Fu, June 26, 2013
Ronald Moser (Grand Prairie, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
I bought this movie because I remembered it from my childhood.
It actually has a pretty good story line,very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
Avenging Eagle was released in 1978 with an ensemble cast of many famous actors/martial artists.It is directed by Sun Chung who has also the best Kung Fu Wuxia movies ever made.In the 70s there were many directors who did the best Wuxias like Chang Cheh,Chu Yuan,Tony Liu,Lau Kar Leung.Sun Chung'sShaolin Prince directing credits if you dont know include Kill a Mastermind,Kung Fu Instructor 1&2,Fist Full of Talons,Deadly Breaking Sword,Judgement of an Assassin,Proud Youth,Rendezvous with Death.

Ti Lung and Alexander Fu Sheng are the main actors once again after past collaborations in Shaolin Temple,Deadly Breaking Sword,Sentimental Swordsman 2,Ten Tigers from Kwantung.So as you can see they both have gotten good chemistry together. Ku Feng is the leader of the 13 coldblooded eagles and it is one of his best villian performances in his career.The 13 Eagles include many famous actors like Johny Wang Lung,Yuen Bun(Rendezvous with Death,Kill a Mastermind),Dick Wei(Project A),Eddy Ko(Duel to the Death),Lam Fai Wong,Peter Chan,Bruce Tong,Austin Wai,Jaime Luk.

Tong Gaai does the fight choreography and has a small cameo role he also directed three of the best Shaw Kung Fu movies ever:Shaolin Prince,Shaolin Intruders,Opium and the Kung Fu Master.

This is a review from the Dragon Dynasty and it is the best version out there,it looks very clear and has good coloring.It includes both Mandarin Audio Track and English Dub.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memories!!, May 7, 2014
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
very memorable and the fact that we grew up on these movies just send a positive message. thanks waaaaa!! lmao

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
love these movies. Love all the action in the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kung Fu Theater at its best!!!, June 30, 2014
The Bus (NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
I used to watch USA Kung Fu Theater as a kid and it's awesome to be able to see them once again on DVD. I watched them for three things: The fight scenes, the weapons, and the weapons. Did I mention I loved the weapons? Where else could you see fight scenes with those types of weapons back in the day? this movie has a LOT of fight scenes and pretty much all involve exotic weaponry. So if that's what you're looking for then you'll love this one. Plus, it actually has a very good story of revenge and redemption but in the tragic Kung Fu Theater style. Definitely a must see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, May 26, 2013
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
It is very good movie, I can and will recommend to friends and family. Al lot of action and plots.

5.0 out of 5 stars COLLECTION, May 21, 2013
CALVIN HENDERSON (BATON ROUGE ,LOUISIANA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenging Eagle (DVD)
I OFTEN JUST ADD DVD TO MY COLLECTION AND THIS WAS ONE I CHOOSE TO ADD I REALLY LIKE KUNG FU

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Avenging Eagle
Avenging Eagle by Sun Chung (DVD - 2011)
$5.99 $3.90