5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing "Standard" About It
For a mere $18.68, I wasn't expecting a lock of such quality. Add a few more $$$ and get free shipping from Amazon.com. This lock actually compares to many higher priced OnGuard & Kryptonite locks. I bought this lock to use for my second (cheaper) bike. Had I known in advance - I may have bought two of them.

With a simple twist on the barrel, there's a cover...
Published on December 9, 2010 by Old Hippie

I bought this based on a review that said that Avenir locks are similar quality to Bulldog locks because they are both manufactured by the same company. Sadly, they were wrong. This lock set was not bad, but I would say it is one or two notches below Bulldog/Kryptonite quality.

Published on September 29, 2011 by T. Vu

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing "Standard" About It, December 9, 2010
Old Hippie (St. Louis, MO.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)

With a simple twist on the barrel, there's a cover for the key hole - protecting it from the weather, should a storm come up. The 10mm x 4ft flexible coated steel cable is thick enough so that it would take some serious bolt cutters to get through. There's even a user's guide with various lock strategies. As of this writing (12-09-2010) there's only two left in stock. Get yours now.

The only drawback I can see is there's no guarantee against theft as with some OnGuard & Kryptonite locks. Last thought...I live in what has to be called a high crime area. Leave a bicycle unlocked & walk away - it'll be gone in 30 seconds. Would I use this lock if I didn't trust it?

Edit: I've now added a 3rd bike. And a 3rd Avenir Lock - the Avenir Standard U-Lock

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lock, but a bit bulky, May 23, 2011
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)
My girlfriend and I just got into riding. We both have standard road bikes, but I am 6'4 and she is 5'6. This lock fits fine on my bike since it has a large frame and does not interfere with my water bottle holder, however, on my g/f's bike, she must make the decision of whether she wants the water bottle holder or the lock. We keep the bikes inside, so like a previous poster said, we can just take the locks when we need them (b/c they are a bit heavy), but that just also implies that they are strong and durable. For $18-$20, you can not beat the price.

Like I said, the lock itself is great, but if you plan on mounting it on your bike and riding around with it all the time, I think it would work better with a larger framed bike that has more space (unless the lock is the only piece you have attached).

1.0 out of 5 stars Lower quality than Bulldog & Kryptonite! Broke after 4 weeks!, September 29, 2011
T. Vu "bibliophile" (Orange County, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)

After using this lock almost daily for a month, the keys would no longer turn the locking mechanism. The keys and lock did not fit together in a way that allowed the lock to turn, which I suspect is due to the lower quality metal making up the lock & key. The metal felt much more flimsy and malleable on this Avenir lock than on my old Bulldog and Kryptonite locks (which have lasted years).

I should have anticipated this problem when I noticed early on: (1) how the key + lock did not slide together smoothly and (2) the metal on the key scratched up very easily and there was a lot of "give" to the key, when it met resistance with the lock when turning.

Conclusion: Pay a little more and get a Bulldog or Kryptonite lock.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hey, that's my bike!, July 26, 2012
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)
Wanted to save 10 bucks and found this lock in pieces where my bike used to be. You can save money on a lock if you don't mind buying an extra bike. Don't be cheap. Keep your bike.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Secure, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)
I was very pleased with my lock and thought I was doing well by going the extra mile and getting the combination u-lock and cable.

Unfortunately I was wrong.

My bike was stolen when the perpetrator cut through the bar of the u-lock with a simple bolt cutter. They cut through with a clean cut in what appears to be the first try. Do not buy this lock if you plan to use it for securing your bike other than while out and about in public. The u-lock appears to be sturdy but its construction makes it easy for thieves to cut it with simple tools in a matter of minutes. Invest in a sturdier lock or move your bike to a more secure location.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong lock and cable, weak bike attachment, July 11, 2011
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)
I bought this to attach on my GMC Denali roadbike.

The mount bracket successfully stretched around the Denali's wide seat tube (a relief). I bolted it tight so that it doesn't budge or rotate, but the mount is still partially opened, exposing some of the bolts (like a clam or mussel). The bolts are long enough to make the set-up secure, but it does add some extra stress on the bolts and their contact with the plastic mount. That said, no problems with this so far.

After three weeks of using the lock, I've had two main problems:
1. The U-Lock has a rotatable piece that interfaces with the mount bracket (you can see it on the bottom right of the U on the Amzn picture). This is a neat device, allowing the rider to orient the lock as appropriate--either toward the down tube or the seat stays. But instead of just rotating on the axis, it also slides up and down. When it slides too far down, it prevents the lock mechanism from going far enough onto the U to lock. It's easily pushed in, but I find myself doing that extra step every time.

2. The mount bracket has a spring-loaded release--again, a neat device. Unfortunately, the extra component seems to need a longer screw to be securely attached--mine fell off on the first ride.

In sum, quality materials (tough metal, good plastic so far) but some engineering misfires. For the money, I'm keeping mine and making due, but I now ride with the u-lock in my bag.

As always, fast and effective shipping via Amzn Prime.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like it - Until it's too late, January 29, 2012
j-factor (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)
I used to like this lock. How could I not at this price and apparent quality. Until yesterday, when I got to my bike and U-lock was bent 180 degrees - someone must have used a crow bar and twisted but ran off without finishing the job. My bike was fixed to the stand at this point but I was able to (a) twist off the top bar without using the key and (b) bend the U-lock apart to with my bare hands. I wonder how the return policy is at Amazon for this junk.

2.0 out of 5 stars The lock is fine but..., March 25, 2013
Eric Hunt (Washinton, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)
The lock(s) work fine and my bike hasn't been stolen (and I live in a town where that is prevalent) but the plastic piece that holds the lock on the bike broke after only a few rides. I do not like carrying my lock separately.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit small, December 4, 2011
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)
This U-lock is a great option for a cheap kids bike lock.

The Lock: The keys are square with patterns cut into the shaft. The slot is in the middle of the front of the retainer, making it easy to access. This lock cannot be opened with a pen shaft, with a knife, or by hitting it kind of hard. It meets all of campus police's requirements at the University of Texas.

The Cable: A bit too short, with great effort I can wrap it through both tires and barely wrap the U-bar. It would be the perfect length for a child's bike.

The Carrier: The piece of plastic that the device is supposed to dock to is too small to wrap around my bike's frame. I forced it until it broke.

Overall, this is an excellent, well thought out product at a fantastic price. Some parts are better sized for a kids bike, but the functional parts work great. I carry it in my backpack.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 years going and still got my bike, December 23, 2013
Mr. Schnoodle (Planet Coo coo ca choo) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo (Sports)
Good price and easy to use. I have had this for 2 years now and and it's still in good shape, works fine and I still have my bike. So I guess you can say that it does its job as described :)

Avenir Standard U-Lock and Cable Lock Duo