5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite tube.
These tubes are easty to install and inflate. I like the longer valve stem. The price on Amazon is 40% cheaper than my local bike shop. I've gotten 1,000+ miles on every Avenir tube I use. However, they do tend to leak a little more than some tubes; you need want to re-inflate every 3 days.
Published on September 3, 2010 by W. Barnett

2.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere
Published on November 29, 2011 by Victor Bale

2.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere, November 29, 2011
Victor Bale (Yucaipa, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avenir Threaded Presta 48Mm Valve Tube (Sports)
I ordered 2 of these tubes in the 700 x 23-25c size. They came individually packaged in orange boxes. One of the boxes was a bit darker orange than the other one and I also took notice that the darker box was stamped made in Thailand whereas the lighter orange box was stamped made in Taiwan. Upon opening the boxes it became apparent that the tubes were very, very different.

The one made in Taiwan felt lighter and the material more supple. It wasn't stiff and the material felt of even thickness throughout the length of the tube.

On the other hand, the one stamped made in Thailand felt much heavier, rough, not supple and felt it was of uneven thickness throughout its entire length. Additionally, it has size markings that conflict with each other.

I put some air in each tube and it's apparent these tubes are not at all alike in quality. The Taiwan made tube is much, much better. It feels of even thickness throughout its length. The Thailand made tube feels like sections tubes of different thicknesses and materials bonded together to form one tube. When aired up, the two tubes look nothing alike.

These are so cheap I don't think I'll bother to return the one tube but will look elsewhere for tubes in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Heavy | crudely made | twisted & tangled, October 10, 2011
Ang Fan (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The three Avenir tubes I ordered and received looked nothing like the photograph. They are extremely thick, not appropriate for lightweight bikes that use 700x23/25. Each tube was jammed into a box in a haphazard way, probably before the rubber was completely cured, so they took a permanent twisted and tangled "set."

Each tube was evidently twisted during deflation immediately after manufacture. Even if I inflated the tubes, then stretched them out, and tried deflating them flat so they could be coiled flat and carried in a under-saddle spares bag, I was unsuccessful. I wasted *far* more time in labor than the price difference between these Avenir and quality tubes such as Michelin or Continental.

After all that wasted time, any one of the Avenir tubes would not fit in a saddle bag except by itself. I gave them to a friend who wanted heavy tubes for her toss-around errand bike, warning her about my experience.

Shame on Avenir for making and packaging such poor quality product. Shame on Amazon and the partner vendor for depicting it with the deceptive photo that looks fine. But most of all, shame on me if I ever buy another Avenir tube sight unseen from Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two Manufacturers & Two Quality Levels, February 1, 2012
This review is from: Avenir Threaded Presta 48Mm Valve Tube (Sports)
I ordered two of these tubes (700x25C), and like a previous reviewer, I got one manufactured in Taiwan and another from Thailand.
The one from Taiwan seems to be of very good quality, with uniform thickness and a good feel to it. The one from Thailand is much thicker, stiffer, and was twisted in the box. I weighed the tubes on my postal scale, and the Thai tube weighs a full ounce (25%) more than the Taiwanese one. I put the heavier tube on my rear tire. Maybe it will help reduce flats, but I'm not counting on it.

That said, both fit my rims/tires, and both valve stems seem to be of reasonable quality. The longer stems fit well with my deep "aero" rims.

1.0 out of 5 stars Prepunctured for those who like flat tires., December 3, 2013
I bought two tubes, one came with a hole in it, making it impossible to fill with air. Thankfully amazon is giving me a refund. The other tube was fine - only buy if you have more time than money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, Stay Away, November 24, 2013
Ordered two both were defective had tears along the seams making them utterly worthless. I ordered two and both failed never using the brand again. Stay clear.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, exploded at low pressure, October 31, 2011
This review is from: Avenir Threaded Presta 48Mm Valve Tube (Sports)
I received these and the packaging was fine (no damage to the box or anything). However they were kind of bulky and heavier than expected for a bike tube. They seemed old and "tough", but that was just my gut feeling (hard to tell). Not as flexible as the tubes that I am used to.

Then when I started to inflate them it got bad fast. Just at low pressure ~10 PSI (these should be able to go past 30 PSI and road tubes generally run at ~120 PSI) I noticed a large bulge and tire non-uniformity. Before I could deflate the tube it exploded in my face, and quite loudly. My housemates thought I had died or something. I'm really glad that it didn't destroy my bike tire, as what happened a few years ago (the explosion can rip a hole in your tire).

I was more cautious with the second tube. At REALLY low pressure I noticed more bulging with the tire as I VERY slowly inflated it. That one looked like it was ready to pop right away, so I stopped inflating.

These tubes are going back and I don't think I'll be ordering any more online, which is a shame... the process sounded very convenient.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite tube., September 3, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, September 13, 2010
These tubes are exactly as described. No fitting issues, stems were strait and valves work perfectly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, valve stem tore away from tube on 3rd ride, September 26, 2011
Got a flat on my 3rd ride after riding through some glass. I repaired my tube and pumped up to pressure and took off. 3 miles down the road, went flat again. Tried to re-inflate, deciding to head home, when the tube immediately lost pressure in a big way. Upon further investigation, the valve stem was tearing away from the tube, possible from some minor jarring from me pumping it up. Pathetic quality. I was dumb enough that I didn't have a spare with me so there I was out on the path in the river bottoms, nature all around me and ... pitch black. FML... Luckily a buddy was able to give me a ride after a mile walk. Anyways, I already ordered replacement for these and I got the michelin ones. don't waste your money. This isn't the only review complaining of quality issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't buy again, August 8, 2012
This tube broke on my third use. I was leaving work and my tire went flat. Looking into it more I found out that this tube split where the nipple connects to the tube. This is usually a sign of poor craftsmanship, so I won't be buying this again.

Avenir Threaded Presta 48Mm Valve Tube