4.0 out of 5 stars Tip for those buying used books

3.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate product description
Published on March 17, 2010 by Sam Clemens

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate product description, March 17, 2010
I based my decision to purchase this book on the seller's claim that it included the Supersite Code. With this publisher's textbooks, the Supersite Code is used to access additional information from the publisher's website, and can include access to assignments. In my case, I was taking a Spanish class and the instructor required us to complete on-line assignments provided by the publisher. Thus, it was necessary that I purchase a book that had Supersite access. This book was delivered promptly and the book itself was in good condition as advertised, but the Code had been used already, which meant that I had to spend more money to buy a new Code from the publisher. So this seller's claim that the Supersite Code was included with the text, while technically accurate, was actually false- yes, I got a Supersite Code, but no, I could not actually USE that code. I could have bought elsewhere for less money, and would have, had I known that the Code this seller offered was invalid. Oh well. It's possible that this seller just did not understand how the Supersite Code is supposed to work, but if it had been me, I wouldn't have included this detail in the product description without KNOWING that it was still available to my customer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Aventuras "Supersite" is useless. Don't take a class that requires this., May 20, 2010
Most Aventuras 3rd Edition based classes have you do online homework instead of teacher graded work, and the online homework is hell. Coming from someone who's taken multiple online assisted language classes (including another spanish class with a different system) the site for this is the worst by far. Most of the assignments give you little to no context for what you're supposed to do, and on all the answers, you have to get the EXACT wording that they want. If you miss a period, accent, or even use a synonym of the word it wants, it will say your answer is wrong, with no hints at the correct wording. Working with this "supersite" I've probably spent at least three times as much time making minor changes to my wording than I have actually learning the material. I can't believe I paid so much just to access that poorly made site.

The book itself is OK. Not great in any way. If I was trying to learn spanish outside of a class, I would definitely use a different book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Aventuras, November 30, 2011
D. Salinas (Victoria, TX United States) - See all my reviews
First, be careful when you purchase a book that claims to have a code to use it on the internet. This seller was very misleading and made it sound that there was a code included(it wasn't). The book was $90, and we had to pay $50 extra for the code. We were able to get a refund on the book after 4 months, but my son said the book is poorly organized and difficult to use and would not have bought it except for the fact it was required for his college Spanish class.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this book used!!, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Aventuras Primer Curso de Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
I wish I had known beforehand that I would need an access code to complete my homework online. If you buy this book used, you will need to shell out additional cash for a new code. I ended up spending more than I would have on a brand new package. I won't make that mistake again!!

As for the book itself, I thought it was well organized and the grammar explanations were easy to follow. The fotonovela was a little cheesy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tip for those buying used books, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Aventuras Primer Curso de Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
This is a good book if you've never taken Spanish before. However, I learned the hard way about buying a used copy. New books come with the computer code on a card inside the front cover under a black or gold "scratch-it" box. If that code box has already been scratched, then it's likely the code has been used by another student and will not work for you. It's REALLY expensive to buy the code separately, so better to find the best deal you can on a new book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought I was getting a textbook, January 28, 2013
Ad was misleading. I thought I was getting a textbook. But it turns out to be the workbook that goes with the textbook, which I don't need as all the activities are online. So the workbook is not really necessary unless you want to do the activities on paper first then enter your answers online.

1.0 out of 5 stars its error tracker sometimes rejects perfectly fine responses which can destroy your grade if it is ..., July 23, 2014
This review is from: Aventuras Primer Curso de Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
The book is ok but it fails to actually explain many of the vocabulary words. The online portion is downright sadistic, its error tracker sometimes rejects perfectly fine responses which can destroy your grade if it is the primary coursework. There are also several assignments where they don't give you anything near enough to go off of. I recommend if you end up a class that needs this book that you stay far away from it and seek out another option.

1.0 out of 5 stars adventuras primer curso de lengua espanola, February 13, 2012
This review is from: Aventuras Primer Curso de Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
We bought a used book. The book was in good shape, but we had to spend an additional $85.00 to get the code from the book. The code that was in the book was being used. Would not recommend buying a used book, if the code is needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice, April 30, 2011
This review is from: Aventuras Primer Curso de Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
book was great, i saved a lot of money and I am able to use the book for 3 different spanish classes. Great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars college, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Aventuras Primer Curso de Lengua Espanola (Hardcover)
I am taking a college class that needed this book. my store sold it for 90$ used and I bought one for SO much cheaper. around ~10$ shipped. very happy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Aventuras Primer Curso de Lengua Espanola
Aventuras Primer Curso de Lengua Espanola by Donley; Blanco (Hardcover - 2010)
Used & New from: $0.17