Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Avery T-shirt Transfers for Inkjet Printers for light-colored, 8.5 x 11 Inches, Pack of 18 (08938)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 10, 2014
I'm a graphic designer, coach various kid teams & always seem to be making shirts for them. I began using the Avery transfers in 2010 & have some shirts that have been through the wash countless times since then. Never had a problem & the colors seem to last amazingly well over time. Other than using only white or light grey fabric & a good quality shirt, my tips would be:
1) pre-wash the shirt (I've used cotton & 50/50) & tumble dry.
2) Plain paper final review: ALWAYS look at your design through the back of the paper (hold it up to a window or bright light) & make sure all of your text has been mirrored & the design looks good.
3) Print the final design using the best quality your printer can output.
4) Trim close to the printed parts but leave a bit of a margin - 2mm'ish. Don't cut so close that your design falls apart or warps while you are ironing. Round off points, if even a little.
5) For fine designs that have been cut to the flimsy stage, cover with a sheet of parchment paper in the beginning of the ironing to get it stuck down. The parchment can be removed to finish the ironing. Baking parchment will not stick to this stuff & can get pretty darn hot. Do not use waxed paper or regular printer paper: they do not like to get hot.
6) Follow the package ironing instructions. Simple as that. I use a cutting board on the floor so I can apply good pressure. For sleeve designs, my hubbie made me a little block of wood that fits inside. He cut a small groove on the bottom for the seam so the wood lays flat.
7) After I peel the paper off I lay a piece of parchment over the whole design & give it a final hit with the iron. This seems to really set the transfer into the fabric & gives the most natural feel.
8) If you can plan ahead, it's good to give them a final rinse with a bit of vinegar in the water to set the dye. Line dry & tumble on low to soften the whole shirt. I've never had the nerve to do the full heat dryer before the 'event' but that's my own weird thing.

My worst experiences have come from using a cheap, lightweight shirt, using transfers that were too old or had been exposed to moisture (they did work though, just needed some extra tlc), or using a shirt color other than white or light grey.

Love these things, just ordered 18 more. Buy them, have fun.
99 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
They have a sticker on the packages saying the colors are brighter and they won't crack. I tried those first and they are beautiful. I bought some more, but they didn't have the sticker on them. Those must be what everyone here is reviewing. The old ones are indeed waxy with okay colors. I hope they don't peel like everyone says. But those improved ones are wonderful - brilliant colors and nice feel, not waxy at all. Trust me, there is a difference. I haven't washed the new improved ones yet, but they do look like they are durable and will withstand the wash. Wish there was a way to tell if the package we are getting from Amazon is new or old. I think the stock number is the same.

UPDATE: It has been an entire year since I've done some thirty or so transfers using various brands. Those new and improved Avery transfers are the best. One year later, through repeated washings, the new and improved ones still look bright and beautiful. The others are old and faded. Look carefully on the package. If they are new and improved Avery, that's the one you want.
44 comments|177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2007
I pre-washed my shirt. I tested my art by printing it out on a plain sheet of paper before using the iron-on sheet. The iron-on sheet came out looking great! I followed the instructions to transfer the image, and again, everything went perfect and looked great.

The trouble came when I washed the shirt. The transfer did not survive. It came out of a gentle wash cycle looking VERY crackled and even peeling off a bit. I was crushed. I wear my crackled shirt around the house, but it's not fit for the public. The dark shirt transfers seem to have gotten much better reviews, but I'm scared to try them because of how horrible this one came out.
on January 29, 2008
I am sick. I just bought the package of the Avery transfer with that encouraging sticker, affixed it as per package directions (ironing with firm pressure for a very long time, allowing to cool before peeling, etc. )to some prewashed cotton muslin, and spent four hours and lots of money sewing the transfered picture into a luxurious fabric frame with lots of expensive trims, making a gorgeous pillow to give as a prize at an annual party I host for the volunteers and staff of the museum where I work. As I was finishing the last touch, I noticed the thing was already cracking off the fabric. It is RUINED. Where can I find a transfer paper that works? This is a disaster . Obviously, I advise all to steer absolutely clear of this product. What a dud!
review image
33 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2012
Follow the instructions properly and you get good results. I made custom T-Shirts with our Band's logo on the day of a Gig we had. Quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Some common mistakes are:
- Iron not hot enough

- Make sure its a flat bottom iron (no holes at the bottom, water/steam irons can't work)

- Make sure the surface you are pressing on it smooth and solid (use solid and flat fabric to press on, avoid carpet kinda material like towels, etc)

- Be sure to put something like a cotton pillow case over the printout when ironing it on

- Make sure the T-Shirt is mostly cotton

- When ironing it on make sure you focus the center of the iron, move slowly left to right, top to bottom.

- Concentrate on the ends

- If you could try to cut the edges of the print out round

- Cut close (but not to close) to the actual image on the print out. You don't want to leave too much blank transfer paper because that could cause hazing.

My Wife washed my shirts after the Gig and it seems fine so far.

We had another gig the other day and my band mates washed their to wear at the gig also, the shirts seem ok to me and I had no complains from them so far.

Enjoy!
on November 20, 2015
I used these transfers to make t-shirts for my business. They came out great! I have been wearing these shirts seven days a weeks for over a month. Only one shirts has lifted some on the front, but I feel it was due to faulty application, not the quality of the product. I have gotten many compliments on my shirts!
review image
on November 23, 2015
Perfect application if you take your time and cut CLOSE around the edges - I actually iron on directly from the iron to the paper to the shirt on an ironing board that I can put inside the shirt before ironing on the applique. I usually get near perfect results, but one time I had kept the heat on too long because it wasnt sticking well, later on I realized it was because I was a bit rough with the paper, I think some of the "sticky-ness" rubbed off on the multiple papers I had stacked. Make sure to keep your paper single stacked after printing, and dont touch or paw at the printed iron on- be very careful about cutting it out and the result is perfect!
review image review image
on September 3, 2007
" I followed all instructions and also washing instructions. The product looked good, but after only a few washings the transfers cracked!! I have had good results with Hanes and PrintWorks transfers. Good Luck Crafting!!"
on April 23, 2016
This is my first time using heat iron transfers! I wasn't sure what to expect so I read the directions carefully. I'm making tote favor bags for my daughter's Frozen Fever themed party and I think they came out great! I will definitely be using the transfers for lots of other projects!! I ironed these onto tote bags I also bought on Amazon. They are Kangaroo canvas tote bags, 18 pack size 12x12 inches.
review image review image review image
on July 6, 2015
Not sure it it's me or what but these were not at all what I expected. I followed the directions to a "T" and am not at all happy with the results. First off, DO NOT buy them if you want to use a shirt other than white. This was my mistake and no fault of Avery. I didn't realize since they are transparent any white areas in your design would stay the color of your shirt. I was using bright yellow shirts, so anything white was yellow. Again, that was my fault...but instead of wasting them I purchased some white tote bags.
The area around the design on the tote bags turned yellow and seemed to burn before the design fully adhered and the edges are still lifting. It was definitely not my iron as I am crafter and have a high end iron that functions perfectly. The color is very dingy and to me looks very dull. Perhaps it was my printer? I was using an Epson Inkjet with quality Epson ink.
In any case, the end results were no where near what I envisioned when I started my project. I ended up with an acceptable end project, far different that I intended that is nothing more than just OK. I would use caution if you purchase these, perhaps you will have better results than I did!