Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Avid Editing: A Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Users
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 31, 2012
It's easy to write a book about teaching the Avid from a purely technical point of view. There are many books out there that cover how to use this non-linear editing system. However, "Avid Editing, Fifth Edition: A Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Users" by Kauffmann and Kennedy, not only covers the technical aspect of using the Avid very well, but also includes many practical applications and examples for what makes great cuts and how things really work in a professional editing room. As a working professional in the film industry, with years of experience in features & TV shows, I was very impressed with the "real world" practical theories and examples that the authors used. From their knowledge, I can tell that they're working editors as well, who also have their passion projects like all of us do. They are sharing their love of the craft on each and every page. I think that this is the first book to really combine the technical aspects of Avid with the aesthetics of film editing. Every chapter started with a very practical page or two that introduced the reader to the editing topic, and that was a great way to get students into the chapter. I especially liked the "Editing Tips" in Chapter Five. It's very important to remind film students that editing is a 100-year old art form and that the technical side of editing is only there to serve the needs of the project. I've enjoyed using this book in my editing classes and will continue to use it. Thanks again Kauffmann, Kennedy & Focal Press for making my editing course easier.
on July 27, 2012
I'm a film sound editor, not a picture editor. Still, it's important that I stay up-to-date with what goes on "upstream" of my job so that I can better work with the picture people. AVID EDITING by Kauffman and Kennedy quickly provides me the information I need in order to understand how Avid editors are currently tackling picture editing issues. This affects the way I work. When a picture editor tells me, "No, that can't be done," I can reply, "Take a look at page 342."
The book is comprehensive but not scary to those of us who don't spend every day in front of an Avid.
VINE VOICEon April 25, 2013
We're using this book in a class that I am taking. It has a nice pace, just the right amount of details, helpful pictures, and the disk is extremely helpful because they have really well-thought out examples included. I also like that each chapter has a summary at the end. That said though, editing is one of those things that is difficult to teach from a book though, because it is so visual and in many cases so difficult to define why something "feels" right or wrong. I think this book does as good a job as can be done wish such material, and it serves as a pretty good reference, but still I think video training is potentially a lot more effective for this topic.
on July 12, 2014
A thoughtful and clearly written guide for anyone new to Avid editing. This book is well organized, and precise. There were only a couple of minor errors and omissions, but with a program as deep and complex as Avid Media Composer, it is amazing that there were not dozens of them. The authors not only understand and explain the Media Composer user interface, they also give a wonderful introduction into the art of editing. Kaufmann and Kennedy actually make the process of learning this program enjoyable. Their style is personal, light, and at times even playful, while never losing sight of the goal of helping the reader become an efficient Avid editor. I have edited on another NLE for more than 17 years that was quite different from Avid. "Avid Editing" had me up and running in just a couple of weeks. I couldn't recommend it more highly. I hope some day they will team up again to write, "Advanced Avid Editing"
on March 14, 2015
This is a great book for looking things up that you want to know in Avid and finding the answers. I've found everything I wanted to know save one thing, how to zoom into the timeline to pick out one frame to remove it...can't seem to find that in this book. but everything else I wanted to know has been in here! I haven't been able to read it cover to cover, but it's great when you have a question and want to find the answer.
on February 22, 2016
I was used to FCP but when I got into film school, they were teaching Avid. This was the book that we had to get. The pictures and explanations made everything very easy to understand. It even helped me with editing across different platforms. I have graduated, but I keep this book with me for reference.
on July 22, 2015
I just got this so it's too early to say how useful it will be as an editing manual. But I've had it one day and some pages are already falling out of it. But worse than that, the illustrations that are billed as "black and white" are really "black and almost black," in other words, very dark and nearly impossible to see. So without any reflection on the book's authors, I'm very disappointed in the production of this book.
on December 14, 2014
This is a great book for people just starting using the Avid Media Composer software. It literally walks you through everything you want and need to know and it even comes with a DVD that has tutorials on it that also walk you through various tasks.
on July 31, 2015
Its kind pretty good book and guide you to find every single tips on editing and also book included DVD which is good to watch part of lessons. All techniques in editing like L cut and etc...
Its good book for every editing student to be confident with avid software.
on May 5, 2014
So hard to get good and worthy publication regarding Avid...so glad this was for sale. The wait was worth it