5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the pain of self installation

3.0 out of 5 stars No info from manufacturer to help for DIY install
Published on January 15, 2012 by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the pain of self installation, March 30, 2012
chuckwalla (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avital 4113LX Remote Start with Two 1-Button Remotes (Electronics)
This remote starter installation CAN be done by yourself, but it's a lot of hard work. If you know how to strip and twist wires and know how to use a multi meter, you really shouldn't have any problems. The difficulty is in probing a bunch of wires and splicing them in tight spaces. It took me a good 6 to 7 hours to complete, but about 3 hours into the job my knees were killing me from kneeling on the ground for so long, and I began to question whether it was worth doing the work myself. The sense of accomplishment at the end of the project made it worth a while, however. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy doing this type of work, you probably should have it done by someone else.

You don't need to connect every single wire provided, but there are still well over 10 which need to be spliced. The thick, heavy gauge ignition harness wires are hard to manipulate, and your fingers will get quite a workout. I got the wiring diagram for my car from bulldogsecurity.com, but the accessory and ignition wires were wrongly identified on their sheet. It is important that you test each wire yourself. I elected to make connections for the horn, the parking lights and the door unlock. I decided not to install the hood pin switch. Initially I placed the receiver antenna under the dash, but the range was very limited (100 ft max); it greatly improved to several hundred feet once I placed it on the windshield by the rearview mirror.

I don't like the fact that now I have to carry around two remote fobs in my pocket, but at least this one is very small in size. I programmed mine to start the engine after 3 successive button presses, instead of the default 1 press, to avoid accidental starts. My factory remote becomes disabled once the engine starts, so it's perfect that this remote has its own unlock function.

I ended up cutting my starter wire and installing an optional starter kill relay in between. It was a necessity in my case because when I turned my key to the accessory position upon key takeover, I would hear a loud click from the starter. It turns out that in my car, the accessory wire needs to be relay-isolated because it feeds signal to the starter briefly. By adding a relay to the starter wire, instead, I not only solved this problem but also added anti-grind mechanism where I wouldn't be able to grind the starter motor if I accidentally turned the key all the way to the start position when doing the key takeover.

By the way, I lucked out in a sense that I have one of the rare modern day vehicle which doesn't use an immobilizer chip in its ignition. Therefore, I didn't have to purchase or install one of those bypass modules. That would've easily tacked on another couple of hours to the installation effort.

If you're looking for a basic one-way remote starter for your car, I don't think you can go wrong with this Avital unit considering its low price and the fact that it's made by DEI. You will find lots of resources online regarding its installation and programming features. I don't even live in a cold climate area, and I'm already using this thing throughout the day. I'll be extremely happy if this lasts the life of the vehicle, which I have a good feeling it will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked as promised, February 12, 2012
Being a service proffessional for over thirty years I feel I can offer a review here. I have installed hundreds of these products over the years and this one was all it should be. Instructions well written, quality is good. The range was actually a little better than they had said. This is my favorite for a simple remote start. But do your homework and get what you really need, but if you find you want this, I have always enjoyed installing this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars No info from manufacturer to help for DIY install, January 15, 2012
I just installed this product on my 1990 GMC Sierra. On a truck this old it took me about 3 hours - I don't have an alarm so no bypass was needed. Was originally upset when I called the company to get info on the location of wires and they would not give me any info because I was not a dealer. After I started looking online I found other sites that gave out this info-bulldog security.com is the site I used. Installation wasn't too hard and anyone with some tech experience should be able to handle it, there is a lot of wiring to install so set aside some time to take your time and do a neat job. I did not have to install the tach wire because of the virtual tach feature of this product This remote starter works great- the range is excellent. I was inside the shop I work at and started my truck approx 200 Ft away- through block walls etc...I want to install remote starters on my other vehicles- a Jetta and 4runner and I will buy the ones from bulldog security.com or somewhere that will give tech info if I run into a problem. I would pay more for a product if the company is there to help me if I have problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well it DOES start your car remotely, April 24, 2012
Reading through the reviews you will find some mixed results. For some people it worked well, 5 star well, and for others it just didn't cut it. For me it was a mixed bag. Three stars for working and not working. It is unfortunate that although I consider myself tech savvy, I wasn't able to install this product myself, rather I was a bit intimidated when I opened up and looked at the contents of the box. When you open it you'll find a mess of wires, toggle switch, kill switch, remotes, harnesses and so on. Only 1/4 of what you find in the box is actually needed, depending on your situation. In my case, besides the 2 remotes, I needed the module and 2 of the wiring harnesses that plug into the module. What I'm trying to get at is it looks very intimidating when you open the box but it can be a straight forward install if you know auto electronics and have a bit of experience with installations similar to this.
Anyway the truck this was installed on was a 2004 Toyota 4runner. I paid someone approx. $70 to have it installed. He did an awesome job. He was able to install it with a bypass module (PKALL) without using up one of my keys. The total install took a little less than an hour which wasn't bad considering my installer hadn't working on this generation 4runner for months. It also wasn't bad considering he's a bit more fond of Prestige alarm systems and somewhat specializes with those.

After it was installed we tested it saw that it worked and called it a day. One thing to note, when the truck was remote started the wireless factory alarm remote would NOT work which I knew from the start. The installer told me that when I remote start the truck my factory key fob will NOT function to lock/unlock the truck, I would either have to turn the truck off with the Avital remote and use the factory key fob or use the key to unlock the truck. I didn't have an issue with this and knew this going in.

Bottom line is, I ended up with 2 remotes, Avital remote and my factory key fob which I knew and wasn't an issue. My only gripe was that when I went to remote start the truck after it was locked and armed, the factory alarm would go off. This wasn't a huge issue at first because a way around it was unlocking the truck first. That also wasn't a bother because my truck would either be in my driveway, in front my house, or right outside my workplace when it would be remote started. I really wanted remote start to run the heater in the winter and ac in the summer. Now I'm not sure if this issue could be corrected or not because after doing further research into alarms and remote started I opted to get a Viper 5704. Some would say that the installer screwed up the Avital install and others said it was a defective unit. My installer has been doing what he's doing for over 10 years and installed the Viper 5704 in an hour without any problems. Remote start works without setting off the factory alarm and lock and unlock works as well, plus I only have one remote now. The main reason I switched to the Viper was because every time I would remote start with the Avital, I forgot to unlock the truck and the alarm would just go off.

Anyway, if you don't mind 2 remotes and you love your factory alarm then this Avital remote starter is the best bang for your buck, depending who installs it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system!, October 10, 2014
I have installed too manyof these to count! I love the simplicity and easy of use for my customers. DEI is an awesome company and these kits are compatible with almost all aftermarket bypasses and interfaces... especially DEI products!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, March 17, 2013
I worked in the automotive accessories field for 23 years and I've installed many products in that time. Avital is one of the most dependable products that I have ever dealt with. I installed hundreds of the 4113LX units and would recommend them to anyone. Avital is however the only Directed Electronics product I would recommend. I had many issues with all of their other product lines, but that's a whole other story. Bottom line, for the money you can't go wrong with this stand alone remote start system. It even features an unlock feature that's handy because some factory remotes won't unlock the doors with the engine running. Just hit the button again after the car starts and the doors unlock, but you do have to hookup that feature when you wire it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a nice unit, March 24, 2014
I have installed 4 of these units now, and it gets easier every-time I do it, My only suggestion is to do as much research as possible before making the purchase and to make sure you are comfortable with the install. A good resource for directions is bulldog, even though their systems suck they provide a good diagram of where everything is at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 5, 2014
K. Wales "ryanrene" (Redmond, OR United States) - See all my reviews
My husband ordered this for me for Christmas. I called my local installer of such thingamajigs and he said this is the same brand he sells/installs, and highly recommended it. --- I've had it for about two weeks now and I LOVE it! Starts every time and has a very good range! I can start from inside the house, without even pointing the remote at the car!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price, great product, December 8, 2014
Best price, great product, easy to use, includes 2 remotes, works excellent on my 2011 Acura MDX, I did not attempt to install myself instead I paid a professional installer and had coffee so it was well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Avital 4113 remote start, January 18, 2014
This is a very nice and simple remote start system. Installation requires a lot planning and patience but saves a lot of money. It works perfect. This is my second Avital system.

Avital 4113LX Remote Start with Two 1-Button Remotes