Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Avocado Baby (Red Fox Picture Books)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 11, 1999
As a retired children's librarian, I know kids love this book; I've used it many times over the years in storyhours. Now I read to my grandsons, and they find it hilarious. In fact, they ask for it, even though months have passed since the last reading. I wish they'd do another printing!
on August 28, 2004
I've been recovering from an illness at home for the last month. Children's books have proven to be the most enjoyable distraction. John Burningham's books are particularly remarkable both for their expressive artwork and the imaginative stories that he tells. Mr. Burningham is guaranteed to make a reader of any age giggle and sometimes, he will bring a tear to your eye (check out "Cannonball Simp"). I laughed out loud this morning when I read "Avocado Baby" for the first time. How I wish I had known of this delightful book when my teenagers were little. I'm purchasing it to save for my future grandchildren and for the child in me!
on September 13, 2000
We discovered this book at a public library in London and hoped to find a copy of it here in the States...Our two boys, ages 3 and 5 (now 4 and 6) LOVED this book. The thought of a really, really strong baby (who was sickly until their mother started feeding him avocado pear) and all the wonderful possibilities (e.g., picking up dad's car, defending big brother and sister against nasty bullies) was very appealing to them. I think that girls would like this book just as well! In general, John Burninghams books are well-liked in our house -- by both the adults and kids. They are easy to read, over and over again.
on May 17, 2004
I remember reading this book when I was like 4 or 5 years old. It's stuck with me ever since. I bring it up in conversation like once a month at least. And nobody I ever mention it too, ever read the book. It was great and truly inspired me as a kid to be the superhero I am today.
on May 7, 2008
This was my little sister's favorite book when she was a child. She found it in the school library when she was about 6, and she must have checked the book out a hundred times! Back then, of course, we didn't have the internet, so my mother couldn't find it for her. When she had her baby last year, I bought this book for the new baby, as sort of a reminiscence of my sister's childhood, and to sort of signify something that they could share from one generation to the next. My sister was so thrilled when she unwrapped the book! It's hilarious, adorable, and very, very sweet!!!
on April 2, 2016
To be honest with you, this book makes little to no sense. We get it...the baby will not eat anything accept an avocado. It's just an odd story we received and leaves a lot of questions about nutrition and poor parenting (I mean didn't the mother try to at least nurse the kid?).
on May 29, 2014
This is a cute tale of a puny baby who doesn't like to eat...UNTIL...it's discovered that it (the baby is always referred to as "it" or "the baby," so I guess the gender is left up to the reader. Clever, huh?) LOVES avocados.

Just one avocado a day seems to imbue the tot with Popeye-like strength and it is soon pushing cars and hefting baby grand pianos.

The illustrations are simple but evocative My favorite was when the baby leaps from its stroller to save its older siblings from some bullies. You go, baby!

There is no "message" to the book. It exists solely to entertain. It can't even be taken as a parable for picky eaters as the babe never tries any other foods.

I'm thinking publication costs must have been paid for by The Avocado Grower's Association.
on May 18, 2012
Avocado Baby by John Burningham is a hilarious book about a family expecting a baby. The family, the Hargraves, are afraid their new baby will be weak, like the rest of the family. When the baby is born, he is fussy and won't eat. The mother is at her wit's end. Then, one of the other kids suggests feeding the baby an avocado. The mother gives it a try and the baby is suddenly super-strong - fending off burglars and bullies - even throwing a bully in a lake! My 5-year old and I both laughed out loud at this one. He wanted to read it over and over again, laughing every time. It's one of his favorites. My son already loves avocados, but I can imagine this book would convince any picky kid to give avocados a try. I hope John Burningham will write more books about the power of healthy fruits and vegetables!
Emily Webber [...]
on November 12, 2010
My children were given this book several years ago and it has become a favourite of all of ours! We enjoyed this author so much we have bought several of his other books and have given many many copies of Avocado Baby as gifts, even to the school library.
on March 12, 2009
This was always one of our favorites growing up, now I buy it for friends with children. Silly and fun with just the slightest bit of a moral. I also have many of John Birmingham's other books, the Mr. Gumpy series is very entertaining.