5.0 out of 5 stars Great for outdoors people
Published on May 30, 2009 by Tenchi Muyo

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work!
I read where a lot of people talk about this product keeping mosquito's off them, but here in the south it did not work for us. I covered my daughter and myself in it before going outside to let her play on her swing set, within a matter of 10 minutes we both got covered in bites anywhere that skin was exposed even though I had covered those areas with this product. My...
Published on August 16, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for outdoors people, May 30, 2009
Tenchi Muyo (Amherst & MV, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Avon SKIN-SO-SOFT Bug Guard PLUS IR3535® Insect Repellent Moisturizing Lotion - Clearance SPF 30 Gentle Breeze, 4 oz (Health and Beauty)
I was a wildlife biologist in the tick-infested woods of NE for many years. When I wore this stuff I never had a tick attached to my skin and it kept the mossies and biting flies at bay. When I did not wear it, I occasionally had a tick attached. It protected my sensitive skin, even my face, and wasn't greasy so I didn't break out on my face as I do with other lotions! Now I teach environmental education classes and canoe avidly, and even for a hike in the woods or day at the beach- I use this multi-purpose miracle. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice scent, nice work, September 11, 2011
I purchased this repellent for my infant because it didn't have deet (Eww, deet is smelly!). I absolutely HATE seeing mosquito bites on her, including her face!! I needed to get something gentle on her skin and face and as non smelly as possible. This stuff actually seems to be working and has not caused any irritation when lightly used on her face! We recently went for a walk in a different neighborhood from our own (to escape the buggies) and as soon as we got out of the car we were bombarded with mosquitoes! I quickly applied the repellent on the baby first and you could see the mosquitoes flying around her and the stroller, never landing on her skin.

Smells good, and repels. I'd say it works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Skin So Soft Combats Flies and Prevents Sunburn On My Horses' Noses, July 21, 2011
Robert Griffin (San Luis Obispo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Probably not what Avon intended, but I have two Arabian horses that live in a pasture year round. Due to an extremely heavy rainfall this year, groundwater/mud puddles have been excessive and with them, so is the black fly crop! They are thick everywhere, and annoying as can be for horses, especially on their muzzles where their fly masks don't cover their skin. Commercially formulated equine bug spray works great on most of their bodies, but the facial area requires something different. A friend told me that she remembered using Avon SSS as a very effective insect repellent on her horses' faces when she was young, so I decided to give it a try. Around the muzzle and nostrils is very sensitive, so I was looking for something that would keep the flies away, but was gentle on the skin. Avon SSS works fantastically in this application. I apply a small amount each day to the area and so far...no flies. And I got a bonus...it contains sun screen as well as bug repellent, so it also helps prevent sunburn...and I guess they like the fragrance, because they both stand very quietly while I apply it to their faces...maybe they know what it does to keep them comfortable! I am thrilled with this product!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great as a sunscreen and insect repellent!, June 8, 2014
Tesala (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
I used this on my 22 month old son yesterday (who has extremely fair skin) while at an amusement park. It was incredibly sunny, he was sweating quite a bit, but the Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus kept him from burning even after hours in the sun.

We also used it recently when at an outdoor restaurant. I noticed mosquitoes buzzing around a lady sitting near us. I immediately pulled out the SSS Bug Guard and applied it to my son and I (the mosquitoes usually eat us both alive but they don't tend to go after my husband). My son and I didn't get one single bite. They did however bite my husband a few times since he wasn't protected. He usually doesn't bother with lotions, he will now though! I keep the SSS Bug Guard on me at all times.

I will say the scent isn't super great, but (at least for me) shortly after applying I don't even notice the scent anymore.

I bought 3 bottles as we're preparing to go to the Caribbean soon. Mosquitoes in the area are apparently carrying Chikungunya so I wanted a sunscreen and insect repellent in one bottle (so glad I found this product!). "The Chikungunya is an illness caused by a virus that spreads through mosquito bites. The most common symptoms of chikungunya are fever and joint pain. Other symptoms may include headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash." I copied this from the CDC website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used in India, for mosquito, it really helped big time, I bought 2 and used it a lot, October 3, 2011
I always had a problem, when I go to India, this avon product is very helpful. I will strongly recommend to purchase. In India or Africa there is lot of Mosquito problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, May 13, 2014
Works great for my 3 year old granddaughter. I put it on her in the morning and it last all day. Not greasy at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another option to DEET, December 16, 2013
This works pretty well, and has significantly less chemicals then most of the other types of bug guard. The only problem is it does wear off pretty fast, but I think the less chemicals makes reapplying worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product!, September 8, 2013
This is a great product! It does exactly what it is supposed to and a lot cheaper than through Avon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for Boating, July 6, 2013
Husband has tried many propducts to keep green-head or black flies away while he is out fishing. This product works best for him....the added bonus is that it is also a sun screen. Using a sun screen and a bug spray makes you sticky .......this solves that problem for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for babies!, December 6, 2013
Best bug repellent and sunscreen for my daughter (and me)! I've used it on her since she was about 9 months old.