All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99

on May 30, 2009
I was a wildlife biologist in the tick-infested woods of NE for many years. When I wore this stuff I never had a tick attached to my skin and it kept the mossies and biting flies at bay. When I did not wear it, I occasionally had a tick attached. It protected my sensitive skin, even my face, and wasn't greasy so I didn't break out on my face as I do with other lotions! Now I teach environmental education classes and canoe avidly, and even for a hike in the woods or day at the beach- I use this multi-purpose miracle. I love it.
11 comment|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2013
Husband has tried many propducts to keep green-head or black flies away while he is out fishing. This product works best for him....the added bonus is that it is also a sun screen. Using a sun screen and a bug spray makes you sticky .......this solves that problem for him.
on September 11, 2011
I purchased this repellent for my infant because it didn't have deet (Eww, deet is smelly!). I absolutely HATE seeing mosquito bites on her, including her face!! I needed to get something gentle on her skin and face and as non smelly as possible. This stuff actually seems to be working and has not caused any irritation when lightly used on her face! We recently went for a walk in a different neighborhood from our own (to escape the buggies) and as soon as we got out of the car we were bombarded with mosquitoes! I quickly applied the repellent on the baby first and you could see the mosquitoes flying around her and the stroller, never landing on her skin.

Smells good, and repels. I'd say it works!
0Comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2011
Probably not what Avon intended, but I have two Arabian horses that live in a pasture year round. Due to an extremely heavy rainfall this year, groundwater/mud puddles have been excessive and with them, so is the black fly crop! They are thick everywhere, and annoying as can be for horses, especially on their muzzles where their fly masks don't cover their skin. Commercially formulated equine bug spray works great on most of their bodies, but the facial area requires something different. A friend told me that she remembered using Avon SSS as a very effective insect repellent on her horses' faces when she was young, so I decided to give it a try. Around the muzzle and nostrils is very sensitive, so I was looking for something that would keep the flies away, but was gentle on the skin. Avon SSS works fantastically in this application. I apply a small amount each day to the area and so far...no flies. And I got a bonus...it contains sun screen as well as bug repellent, so it also helps prevent sunburn...and I guess they like the fragrance, because they both stand very quietly while I apply it to their faces...maybe they know what it does to keep them comfortable! I am thrilled with this product!!!
33 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
I always had a problem, when I go to India, this avon product is very helpful. I will strongly recommend to purchase. In India or Africa there is lot of Mosquito problem
11 comment|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2014
I used this on my 22 month old son yesterday (who has extremely fair skin) while at an amusement park. It was incredibly sunny, he was sweating quite a bit, but the Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus kept him from burning even after hours in the sun.

We also used it recently when at an outdoor restaurant. I noticed mosquitoes buzzing around a lady sitting near us. I immediately pulled out the SSS Bug Guard and applied it to my son and I (the mosquitoes usually eat us both alive but they don't tend to go after my husband). My son and I didn't get one single bite. They did however bite my husband a few times since he wasn't protected. He usually doesn't bother with lotions, he will now though! I keep the SSS Bug Guard on me at all times.

I will say the scent isn't super great, but (at least for me) shortly after applying I don't even notice the scent anymore.

I bought 3 bottles as we're preparing to go to the Caribbean soon. Mosquitoes in the area are apparently carrying Chikungunya so I wanted a sunscreen and insect repellent in one bottle (so glad I found this product!). "The Chikungunya is an illness caused by a virus that spreads through mosquito bites. The most common symptoms of chikungunya are fever and joint pain. Other symptoms may include headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash." I copied this from the CDC website.
on January 27, 2016
Preferable in scent to DEET and it seems safer to use chemically than DEET, but I did have a skin reaction. If you are going into forest-y areas or places with high tick concentration (like a picnic or camping) and prefer to smell like a not chemical scent, this is a good option. To be fair, my skin reaction was probably worse because I did not wash it off immediately when I got home, and I would wash any other bug spray immediately. If your skin isn't as sensitive as mine, this might work well for you. I have not had a skin reaction with other skin-so-soft products, just this one.
on August 24, 2013
i bought this to bring with me for my trip to asia this summer.
It is easy to apply, has a nice scent.
i didn't get bitten by mosquitos, so i assume it does work.

The only thing is that it took quite a long time for me to receive this product.
on April 22, 2016
moisturizer, sun protection, and wards off bugs all in one. This is the best of the best. Nothing else is as good. Use it for one of the reasons. Use it for all three at the same time. It's worth it to always keep some on hand. I find that one bottle lasts one person who is outside a fair amount all summer long. I use it at home, in the woods and at the beach.
on July 15, 2014
Great product! I went camping in Shenandoah National Park, and this was the first time the bugs totally left me alone. I didn't get any ticks on me, and the mosquitoes left me alone. Whenever the stuff started to wear off, I just put more on. I can honestly say that this was the best stuff I've ever used, and it's a whole lot better than DEET or Permethrin. I didn't have to worry about how to apply it either. I did some internet searches on more natural insect repellents, and everyone said to get this. They were right.

Update: I took this with me to Wekiva Springs Park, and I decided to go Geocaching in the swampy areas out in the middle of nowhere. This stuff didn't work like it did before, and I can only assume that I should wear a good natural insect repellent with it, so that my clothes are covered with the scent. The mosquitoes seemed unaffected by the stuff, and bit right through my clothes. Keep this in mind when you purchase it. It works, but maybe not in those swampy areas infested with mosquitoes.