5.0 out of 5 stars Tropical Freedom
Published on June 17, 2011 by Patrick

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay to repel bugs - great paint remover too!
I bought this because products containing DEET give me a rash. This product has another repellant.

The smell takes some getting used to: not pleasant but not unpleasant either. If you've ever used the other Skin so Soft products you probably know what I mean. I'm sensitive to smells so I may not be the best judge.

Initially I enjoyed some nice...
Published on August 25, 2011 by Mandy L. Howey

5.0 out of 5 stars Tropical Freedom, June 17, 2011
I spent five weeks in Costa Rica a few summers ago with 13 other people, studying tropical biology in the middle of cloud forests, rainforests, on two volcanoes, and three coastal towns. The amount of bug bites shared amongst the group was astronomical, save for the two of us using the skin-so-soft bug repellent. Mosquitoes were the most aggressive I've ever known, biting through clothes and sheets, even tents if you slept against the fabric, so I had a few bites here and there. When on the trails and doing field study, however, we were happy students. The repellent was so effective I would just sit for long moments and watch as the mosquitoes and black flies hovered around my arms, legs, and torso, finding no place to land until they ventured closer to my classmates. Deet wasn't effective, standard bug repellent wasn't effective, bug repellent clothing wasn't effective, but skin-so-soft kept the nasties at bay. By the end of the trip we had converted nearly everyone to the product, save our instructor who once let a bot-fly burrow its larvae into his skin, just so he could study it up close. He was a bit crazy in his dedication.
I always recommend this stuff to friends and loved ones, sometimes random folks too :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best insect repellent I've ever used., March 28, 2010
My brother and I were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last June and didn't bring insect repellent. We bought some at a convenience store and it was reasonably effective against mosquitoes and gnats, but totally ineffective against those nasty little blackflies that were eating us alive. The gift shop at Fort Wilkins Park had Skin so Soft (the aerosol version with Picaridin) and I remembered my older son had used something similar when he was going through Marine Corps training. I bought it and it was fantastic. No more bother from the little pests. Other family members used it at a camp near Muskegon and it came through again. At least for the irritating bugs found around the Great Lakes, this is the best any of us have seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars picardin works here in costa rica, July 26, 2009
i live in Costa Rica. this product works great and is DEET free, nowever you need to apply it more often than deet products. I DO at times use deet when i am out on long hikes during the early morning or late afternoon, when the no seeums and mosquitoes are at their peek.

5.0 out of 5 stars Avon Skin So Soft...awesome, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard + Picaridin With Vitamin-E & Aloe Spray Pump 4oz (Health and Beauty)
We bought this mainly as a bug repellent for our 3 dogs and it works great! It was recommended by our vet and I was skeptical, but Skin So Soft really works. We use it on ourselves as well and it has a very nice fragrance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Low odor, not sticky, pretty effective, April 23, 2012
It doesnt stink like Deet and doesnt leave a glossy sticky sheen like Deet, however it does repel bugs like Deet. It is affective for about 1.5 to 2 hours, then I need to reapply. If I sit in my backyard I get an average of 1-2 bug bites per 5 minutes (yeah, its pretty bad). With Deet applied regularly, every 2 hours, I get maybe 1 bug bite per 2 hours. This seems to be just as effect as Deet but is a much more pleasant experience to use. I would recommend it to others. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another 10 bottles, though I got it from a friend who is an Avon rep thinking it would be cheaper, but I was wrong. She charged me 5 dollars per bottle despite them being 3 dollars per bottle on Amazon. I was a fool for ordering from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonderfully!!!!!, June 5, 2013
Amazon Customer (Augusta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I do not have easy access to an Avon salesperson and honestly did not want to be bothered with all those campaign books, etc. I know what products I like to use and this is one of the MUST HAVES for working outside in GA where I live. Bugs announce that dessert has arrived if I walk outside without protection on. So glad I was able to get this from Amazon! Avon Skin So Soft is the best bug repellant I've ever used. When the hubby would go on his 2 week Army duty in the summers, he would take Skin So Soft and it was the ONLY thing that kept the chiggers away!

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay to repel bugs - great paint remover too!, August 25, 2011

Initially I enjoyed some nice protection from mosquitos. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to last as long as DEET products - but it's easy to reapply. I stopped using it when I accidentally spilled some on a painted metal chair and then noticed, two hours later, that the product puddle had eaten off the paint!!!

After the paint incident I decided that I didn't want to use BUG GUARD anymore. I don't know what is in it that would remove paint - but anything that removes paint probably shouldn't be on human skin. Just sayin'.

Your choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Georgia sand gnats, October 2, 2010
Justin Stephen "jfoobar" (Maryland, United States) - See all my reviews
This is the only repellent I have seen that actually repels the sand gnats (aka "sand fleas") of southern coastal Georgia while still seeming to be effective against mosquitoes. Those sand gnats just ignore Off and other typical DEET repellents. This product also leaves your skin feeling less sticky and gross than your typical DEET repellent. In hot weather, that is a real plus. On the other hand, it does tend to need to be re-applied more often to remain effective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, April 7, 2013
Used for my 2 and 7 year old in Panama. We were pretty deep in jungles and no repellent works 100% there. But both of our girls were protected as best could be with this. That saying alot being Deet Free!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, December 11, 2013
Terry (North Jersey) - See all my reviews
Travel to Key West annually and I always get bit by the no-seeums. This past September I went, used this product and didn't have a problem at all. It works!! This is also the only product that I've seen that states that it works against no-seeums and it does.

Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard + Picaridin With Vitamin-E & Aloe Spray Pump 4oz
$14.00 $7.87
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Rate and Discover Movies