‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Diverse album, new and exciting for Laruku fans., December 15, 2005
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
I just bought this CD recently and already I'm in love with it. I've been a Laruku fan for about 5 or 6 years due to Rurouni Kenshin, GTO, DNA2 etc. I've been in love with Hyde's voice since. <3 Through the years I've come to get to know the band, their albums and songs, and on every album there are at least 3 songs that blow me away. Of course only having been a fan for 5 years, I had to go through the long absence which was alleviated by SMILE. I was not excited about SMILE for the most part, but once again 3 songs, + Ready Steady Go became my absolute favorites, and after purchasing their concert DVD from the Otakon show in 2004, which sadly, devastatingly, I missed ;_; I was hyped about them again and was anxiously waiting for the release of AWAKE. I had heard the first single Poem~JOJOUSHI, soon after it was released, a beautiful song, that was very traditional L'Arc~en~Ciel, but refined. It made me excited for the entire album. Long story short, I can't find a song I actively dislike on this album, I love listening to all of the songs, all of them. Very rarely does that happen with me and a CD, American, Japanese or otherwise. I certainly didn't with SMILE. L'Arc~en~Ciel to me, has proven themselves a very dynamic and talented band that has the potential to appeal to a wider international audience. This album proves that.

1. New World - 4/5 - A very upbeat song, with a resemblance to the style of a lot of American rock songs, but the heart of L'Arc~en~Ciel. Fans may understand what I mean by that. :D

2. LOST HEAVEN - 4/5 - I don't know what it is about this song, it's not my absolute favorite (yet) but I just love listening to it. The feeling of this song, although it has an English chorus, transcends language barriers, and it's catchy! Did I mention how much Hyde's English has improved?

3. Poem~Jojoushi - 5/5 - A ballad to an orchestra of many violins, violas, cellos and more. (Read the notes in the booklet to see) This song is so dreamy, I guess that's the way to put it, it makes you feel different, puts you in another mood. As I said above, traditional Laruku, but refined.

4. TRUST - 3/5 - I only give a 3 of 5, because while this song is very good, it doesn't stick as well as the others, but it's still beautiful. Knowing me, I'll probably end up liking it more later. But don't get me wrong, this is not a bad song AT ALL, just not as memorable to me as some of the others.

5. Killing Me - 3/5 - Similar feelings with this one as with TRUST. I love the music in this song, but it's not a song I skip to, but not one I skip over either, if that makes sense ^_^;

6. AS ONE - 5/5 - NOW this is a song I skip to. When I first heard this song I was blown away, I couldn't believe it was L'Arc~en~Ciel. The playing was just awesome, the lyrics, in English for the most part, EXCELLENT. Hyde really went all out for this one, either that or he has been practicing hard, the same with the rest of the band, this song was similar to the American music I listen to, I was shocked. But don't despair if you don't want a conversion (neither do I), it's the only song like it on the album, but I was very pleased nontheless. What a great treat! The album was worth buying for this song alone, just to hear it. XD

7. My Dear - 4/5 - This song, again, I like this song so much and I don't know why, if the English parts are any indication of what this song is about, then I want to know more! But I'm a sucker for songs like that. The music is so good. =D

8. EXISTENCE - 4/5 - I like this song too, very upbeat, I like Yukihiro's drumming! Did I mention how great it was in 6 also? >_> This is very catchy, gets you a little hyped. Someone mentioned they didn't like the talking at the end, but I've already enjoyed the song too much to care by then. Besides, I liked Anata Dake Mitsumeteru from Slam Dunk, and the talking was worse in that one. XD Spicy Your Momma

9. Invitation to Freedom - Jiyuu Eno Shoutai - 3/5 - I might've enjoyed this song if it was closer to the begining, because I loved the earlier songs so much I kept skipping back to them. XD Traditional Laruku, which may be why the fans like it so much. Kinda makes me want to listen to Haruku Kanata when I hear it though, dunno why. ^_^;

10. Ophelia - 3/5 - I don't give this song a high rating, but I like it. It's just overshadowed by the other great songs. It conveys a certain mood, like in a bar with a piano player, ooh nice, and Hyde's singing is great, he did the words and music, so maybe that's why it's a little special to me. ^_^;

11. Stars - Hoshizora - 4/5 - This song gets a high rating, on the feeling of it alone. Such a serious song, it makes me feel hmm.. not quite sad, definitely not depressed, but just serious. It's a beautiful song to boot. I have a feeling, based on the English lyrics and some hear say, or type read, that it's about the sadness of War.

12. twinkle, twinkle - 2/5 - This song isn't anything special to me, it's like the second to last song at a awesome concert, or maybe the last, depending on the band. The it's time to go home song. But after such a great album with so many great songs, I really don't mind, I couldn't take it if every song was good. 90% good is crazy enough, it's probably more that that too.

The bonus US track was a nice treat too. All and all, one of the best CDs I've bought since A Perfect Circle - 13th Step. This CD will get lots of wear, which means I should put it on iTunes before it starts skipping. ^_^; I hope, as long as this review is, it convinces someone to buy the CD and support L'Arc~en~Ciel, my favorite Japanese band, and a great one at that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rejoice! "Awake" is here!, December 22, 2005
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
I have heard many people say about L'Arc~en~Ciel's comeback album "Smile" (it was the album before this one) that it wasn't the Laruku they remembered or that they missed the "good ol' days." To those who think that rejoice for "Awake" is here!
On this album Laruku's going back to some of their roots while still moving forward. Also this album is more Rock then "Smile", thank you Hyde and Yukihiro for that! If Ken and Tetsu had had their way with this album it'd be Popidy-Pop-Pop (examples: "TRUST" by Tetsu, and "twinkle, twinkle" by Ken). Hyde wrote the music for a whopping 5 songs on this album and he and Yukihiro co-wrote one song together. Effectively giving this album a much harder feel after the darned near Poppy-ness of "Smile" it's like a breath of fresh air. Thank you Hyde and Yukihiro!
Laruku also goes a bit political on this album which is nice, they don't let it rule the album like some artists (System of a Down, I'm looking at you) but it's definitely there. It seems even J-Rockers are ticked about the current "situation" in the Middle East. You go guys!

TRACK BREAK DOWN:
New World 10/10 - words: Yukihiro music: Yukihiro and Hyde. A very strong opener for an album. Wonderful "break free" type song.
LOST HEAVEN: 10/10 - words: Hyde music: Ken. This songs takes it down a bit from the pulsating opening of New World. Good bridge song.
Poem~JOJOUSHI 9/10 - words: Hyde music: Ken. This song is just beautiful. The orchestra adds some emotional oomph and Hyde's voice is spot on as always.
TRUST 8/10 - words: Hyde music: Tetsu. Eek! Popsville! This is probably one of my least favorite songs on the album. Although it is a wonderful thing to see Live I'm just not that found of it's Pop-ness. And I don't mean Bubble-Gum-Western-esque Pop so don't think Backstreet Boys when I say "Pop." Anyway, don't like the song but the lyrics are touching.
Killing Me 10/10 - words & music: Hyde. Thank you, Hyde, for getting us out of Popsville!!! Although this song does have a few lingering Pop tendencies for the most part it's not. I love the chorus to this song, it'll get stuck in your head for days and days.
AS ONE 11/10 - Words & music: Hyde. Toto, we're definitely not in Popsville anymore. This song is the hardest Rock song on the album and also the most political. Ooops, did I say "most political"? I meant it's ALL political. Honestly, how many artists are going to have to make songs like this before the world finally takes the hint?
My Dear 11/10 - words & music: Hyde. In stark contrast with AS ONE this song is a beautiful ballad. And Hyde manages to make it a ballad without going off into Popsville. This is probably one of my favorite ballads by Laruku. And the English lines in it are just beautiful, "Real love, my dear, is not for sale"
EXISTENCE 9/10 - words: Hyde music: Ken. My mom says this song reminds her of Nirvana and I can see her point, Hyde sounds very Kirk Cobane on this one. Although this song is a bit softer Rock it's still Rock not Pop, thank you God. This song also scares the crap out of me! A creepy woman saying, "You will not be able to sleep, so why don't you...just...stay awake" will do that to you. O.O
Invitation to Freedom~Jiyuu eno Shoutai 9/10 - words: Hyde music: Tetsu. This song is much better Live but that said it is still a very good song on the album. It has an infectious melody that you can't get out of your head and Hyde's amazing vocal range comes into play on this one.
Ophelia 10/10 - words & music: Hyde. This song is brilliant not just for it's subject ("Hamlet" by William Shakespeare) but for the fact that it blends all kinds of music. Jazz piano, Blues flugelhorn, and some Spanish air guitar all mixed into one song. It's simply brilliant.
Stars~Hoshizora 11/10 - words & music: Hyde. The most emotionally devastating song no the album...or maybe even in the whole world. It's too moving for tears. This song hits you right in the gut, rips out your heart and eats it.
twinkle, twinkle 7/10 - words & music: Ken. AGH, NO, WE'RE BACK IN POPSVILLE!!! Why, Ken, why? *sobs* This song is really out of place on this album too. It belongs on "Smile" but somehow it snuck its way onto "Awake." It's not a BAD song, it's just way, way, WAY too Pop for my taste and is so unbelievably out of place that it's almost funny. You can't go from heartbreaking Hoshizora to a bouncy song. Even if said bouncy song has somewhat sad lyrics that still doesn't work. This song also sounds a whole lot like "Girl" by Beck almost to the point that you're thinking, "hmmmmm"
(AMERICAN RELEASE ONLY CD BONUS TRACK) HEAVEN'S DRIVE Live - 9/10 - words & music: Hyde. Frankly, I'm just the tiniest bit sick of this song (and I bet the band is too). They play it way too much. But it's a good song and it's cool that it was recorded Live.

All and all this is a great album and much better then "Smile" (no disrespect "Smile" you are without doubt a very good album ^-^). If you're a die hard Laruku fan buy it and even if you're not you should still buy it. It'd be a good start for new fans of Laruku or complete new comers to J-Rock in gen. I love this album to death and it's been living in my stereo ever since I got it several months ago. So yeah, buy it. You won't regret it, I promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm wide "Awake", February 15, 2006
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
And this CD is a blast to listen to. There isnt really a song on this one that i don't enjoy. So i cant say which one is my favorite because honestly. I'm really feeling all of them. But i guess if i had to pick one. It would be track 7 - "My Dear". It has a haunting feel to it. With some seriously solid lead vocals and background vocals are on point in a crazy way. The first time i heard this one, i immediately had to listen to it again. It's seriously hot.

This is the second L'arc cd that i have bought with the first being "Smile" which rocked as well. Trust me take the advice of the other reviews and give L'Arc en Ciel a chance. I doubt you will regret it. I'm wide awake now.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked SMILE..., August 2, 2005
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
If you were a curious Jrock newbie or a long time Laruku fan buying SMILE, you will LOVE "AWAKE". Or, if you have over 25 of their mp3s downloaded to your computer and love it all, you'll LOVE "AWAKE". If you've only heard "READY STEADY GO", or "Driver's High", or "Killing Me", or ANY Laruku song and liked it, YOU WILL LOVE "AWAKE". In fact, if you just love Jrock, YOU. WILL. LOVE. "AWAKE". How's that for a good sales pitch?

L'Arc~en~Ciel's new album, I think, is a bit more diverse than SMILE. Now, don't get my wrong - I LOVE SMILE. However, I think this album goes more to the extreme, genre-wise.

When I first got this album, I had heard "New World", "Jojoushi", "Killing Me", "AS ONE" (a live version), and "Jiyuu e no Shoutai". So some of this album didn't come as a surprise to me.

Track one is "New World", which is a great song to open up a CD with. More mellow and less hyper than some of Laruku's other stuff, New World was composed by HYDE(vo) and Yukihiro(dr). Also, something I think is a first - Yuki did the lyrics. Never seen that before, has anyone else...? Anyway, it's a calm-ish, uplifting song with a great bass line and nice guitar, plus a good drum rift. And of course, HYDE's vocals are great. Also, the PV is a plus, considering HYDE is sexy and the rest are adorible. ^^

Track two is "LOST HEAVEN", which was my first new track on the CD. And, wow - it surprised me! This song was composed by Ken(g), and written by HYDE. This song was more upbeat, with a very interesting "Engrish" chorus. Very catchy, and sure to be liked.

Track three is "Jojoushi", which I must say I am biased for. A beautiful ballad, Jojoushi caught my attention mainly because of the vocals and gorgeous arrangement. This song includes an orchestra and such, and they all get mention in the lyric book. LOVE this song.

Track four was another new track to me - "TRUST". And this, if anything, was a better surprise than "LOST HEAVEN". It begins slowly, with a flowing first verse, and suddenly gets loud at the chorus, with the line "Come into the light". It seems to be a song of allowing people to see who you really are... or something. At any rate, the composing is awesome, as are the vocals and background vocals. And as usual, I tend to take the instrumentals for granted - I just assume they'll be awesome. I mean, they always are.

Track five is "Killing Me". If you've heard "READY STEADY GO", just assume Killing Me is AWAKE's version of it. That's not to say they're being unimaginative - far from it! That's not at all what I meant. Killing Me is a very fun song, perfect to jump around with, and HYDE does those great "HA!" sounds. Heh. The song is fast paced, and the guitar and bass lines are awesome as heck. HYDE's voice becomes distorted towards the finish, and then the band launches into two last choruses. It ends on a more mellow note, switching the line "killing me" with "kiss me". All and all, a great, energetic song.

After track five, the lyric book gives us a picture of each band member - which I think is a HUGE bonus, especially considering the lack of actual pictures of the band included in SMILE. Here's also a good place to point out that the lyric book is very colorful, and I like it a lot. ^^

Track six is "AS ONE", which I'd heard recorded live, but not studio recorded. Surprisingly, I think I may actually like the live better - or at least, that's what I thought at first. AS ONE is definitely leaning more towards the 'metal' side of Laruku, with heavy bass and guitar lines, and fast drums. HYDE's voice also takes on a much darker, lower tone to it - which really helps the feel of the song. Most of the song is in Engrish, but as far as it goes, I think HYDE is great at English. So actually, he's pretty easy to understand. And anyway, you have the lyrics book, so... there ya' go! This song helps to really diversify the album, and is of course a great tune by itself.

Track seven is "My Dear". It starts out with keyboard or synth, and HYDE's smooth voice crooning in a sort of sad way, and Tetsu singing in Engrish in the background. The chorus is even more depressed sounding, with beautiful violins (etc), more synth sounds, and HYDE's voice pulling everything together. After this, drums, bass, and guitar come in, and the song begins to sound a bit more rock-esque, while still maintaining the slow sound. The song escalates after this, with louder violins and drums and I think synth - plus echo-y voices. Fun stuff. Ending the song is HYDE singing as he did at the beginning, with mainly the violins and such. Plus, he gets a syllable in acappella, which I think is beautiful. ^^

Track eight is "EXISTENCE". Surprisingly, I think this may be my least favorite track - I say surprising, because I actually really like this song. Which should give you an idea of how good this album is! I even love my least favorite song! Wow! Anyway, this song is more hyper and slightly angry (reminds me of AS ONE). I think the main reason this song is low on my favorites list is because of the weird voice at the end. It doesn't seem to have much to do with the song, and sort of takes away from it, in my opinion. Maybe it's just because I'm an ignorant American, 'cause that's fully possible. Heh.

Track nine is "Jiyuu e no Shoutai", which was a single during or after SMILE, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, this is an energetic song, with some of HYDE's "soprano" voice happening. I'm always impressed by HYDE's range, and this song definitely shows it. Even though this isn't very new, the fans all love it (with good reason), and I think that's why it's on this CD.

Track ten is "Ophelia". Now, I'm not quite sure what the significance of the name is - perhaps Laruku are Shakespeare fans? - but at any rate, it's a good, sort of sad song. It starts out with "acoustic" piano (Which means actual piano... as opposed to keyboard. I guess.), and some brass instruments are soon added, as well as bass and I think guitar? The guitar has an odd sound to it. But it's still good, of course. I think the difference in instrumentals is a treat... I mean, who's ever heard of a "flugelhorn"? Come on, don't lie. All in all, this song is interesting, very pretty, and a bit on the gloomy side. It's also great. Ha ha.

Track eleven is "Hoshizora", which starts out again with gloomy-sounding instrumentals - this time acoustic guitar. Following quickly is HYDE's voice, melodic and depressed. With lines like "Nobody knows, nobody cares, I have lost everything to bombs", this song is at once sad and... weird. Bombs? What? But anyway, the song itself is really good, despite the odd Engrish. Also sounds a bit desperate. Aw[...] T_T

Track twelve is the last track (YAY for two more tracks than SMILE!). It's called "twinkle, twinkle", and contrary to popular belief, is not a rock rendition of "Twinkle, twinkle little star". ...Okayyyy... so maybe it was just me who wondered about that. Anyway, this song is more upbeat than the previous few tracks, and provides a good closing to the album. There's a slight mix-up in future/present tense English, but for one I don't care, and for another, they don't even HAVE future tense in Japanese. Can you blame them? Besides, the song is fun and HYDE's voice hits some more higher notes - plus, the vocal line is just catchy as heck. And again, assume this for the whole CD - instrumentals are amazing. Yup! That goes for all tracks. I'm just too lazy to say it each time.

All in all, this CD is diverse, catchy, beautiful, and just worth every penny. If you have the money, buy it. If you don't, then dammit, get out there and get money! And THEN buy it!

Ratings:

diversity - 4/5

inst. in general - 4/5

vocals in general - 4/5

packaging - 4/5

overall - 5/5

(What? "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts". So there.)

~> Becca

4.0 out of 5 stars Right on, January 27, 2006
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
I was at a recent Anime Expo in Anaheim, California this past summer. I saw a few bands there. Even Tofu Records had a booth there. I saw this one band that was like a mix of Anime characters and glam rock. That is what this band reminds me of. L'Arc en Ciel is the most popular band to emerge from Japan. They have sold over 34 million records. They are popular with Anime fans. Much of their music is included in Anime films. Their music is a little bit like Britpop and especially like Manic Street Preachers and Suede. It also has some new romantic vibes of some songs. It is very emotional music. At SF Burning we try to cover all the cool music coming out of Japan. This band may have the most wide appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWAKE to the Wonderment of L'Arcu, August 20, 2005
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
L'Arc~en~Ciel has always been a classic in my book. They seem to maintain this strong presence in their music, ever since the early 90s. Their style, even though it may remain similar, has always been unique and openly inviting. Though Hyde still needs to work on his English a bit, this album was astonishing. "As One", in more ways than one so different from "Jojoushi," still has Ken's style of guitar playing that most fans could recognize almost instantly. But the song that caught me and wouldn't let go was "Ophelia." Their soft rock was played down more, adding some contemporary jazz elements. "Jojoushi" was another song that stood out as well. I believe it was one of the first singles off the album to become played more often. It gives this bittersweet feeling of nostalgia. Magnifying Tetsu's outstanding bass skills, and giving once more another outstanding guitar bridge to Ken, Jojoushi shows how much L'Arcu has come about artistically over the course of more than ten years. Overall, you would not be wasting a single penny for this album. So buy it and be complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars And I thought Smile rocked, WOW!!!, January 14, 2007
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
This is my second/third L'arc en Ciel album. I first bought smile and loved it. Smile had songs from the Fullmetal Alchemist series and this album has even more. I also bought it with "Promised Land/Link". Both of them together have "Link" and "Lost" Heaven" from the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. And then they have about three different versions of the song "Promised Land" both with/without lyrics.

I like the "My Dear" song on this one, too. It has a soothing song and the english blends well. It also includes a live song from a live performance called "Heaven's Drive" it sounds a bit rough, but the chorus has a cool echoe effect. And Existance sounds like the song "Revelation" from "Smile". Most of the songs are soft rock and have a magical touch to them. "New World" is a song that has appeared on Youtube a few times and used in Fullmetal Alchemist clips. It has a cool sound and besides "Lost Heaven" is my favorite song on the entire CD. Hyde's voice sounds hits some pretty good notes in the english and I love the song's tone.

I usually think of L'arc en Ciel as sounding a bit like U2 at times, but it's so much better, it's got a huge twist and has cool sound bites and guitar solos.

This is a great follow up album if you just bought Smile and are wondering what to buy next. L'arc en Ciel is my favorite J-Rock band besides Asian Kung Fu Generation.

Again, if you like the opening and Closing songs from Fullmetal Alchemist, buy this album and/or Promised Land/Link.

You won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I got this sooner, April 24, 2007
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
First of all I am not a child! I am a TEENAGER. Huge difference! And second of all I wish I got this CD sooner.

The first time listening to the entire album, I only enjoyed a few of the songs, and found the rest a bit blah. However, second aand third time around was when I really started to appretiate the songs and its genre. I am a huge fan of Gackt and am used to Jpop more than Jrock, and it was my friend who recommended this album to me. I was disapointed at first but grew to love it. I'm listening to it right now.

It starts off with 'New World', which has become my second favorite. It has a very nice, fast sound to it and the sceaming factor is just right. Very fun to dance and listen to. It's the song I most listen to.

'Lost Heaven' has a retro feel to it in the beginning but neither the less, is a pretty decent song saved by Hyde's attempts of singing in english.

'Poem' is slightly balladish, and has a soft rock sound to it. What bugs me is the slightly forced and constant transition from soft to harsh.

'Trust' is my fourth favorite one, because Hyde's deep voice does a fantastic job and gives a very romantic, soft sound to it. It's one of those songs that makes people sway there arms in enjoyment.

'Killing Me' has a nice sound to it but lacks a lovable rythm in the beginning. Hyde's voice transforms from high to low in a matter of seconds. 1/3 into it is where it gets interesting when it is sung fast and high but is quite an enjoyable song.

'As One' is probably my least favorite, because it's mostly in english and Hyde's english is BARELY understandable in this song. It's one of those songs for a human turning into a mutant.

'My Dear' is a very nice, slow, soft song and nicely switches moods and emotions throughout the song and keeps it very romantic.

'Existence' is a very interesting song. It's opening beat is very cool and only gets better as it goes on (up until one point which I will tell you). It's slightly difficult to understand what this song is supossed to be about. half way in, is the very wierd part. It is sung in english by some scary sounding lady and is slightly frightening if you understand what she's saying.

'Jiyuu eno shoutai' is my 3rd favorite song. It is fast, has a very lovable rythm and is very fun to listen to many times.

'Ophelia' is definately my favorite song out of the 12. It has a VERY different sound to it though. It in no way fits the genre. One reason to why I love this song so much is Hyde's amazing voice when he sings in english. The song is so romantic and well paced, and it transitions very well. As I said Hyde's voice is so amazing, deep and so romantic, and this was the song that made me fall in love with it.

'Hoshizora' is a softer rock song, and one really good thing about it is the audible esixtence of building up emotions more and more until it breaks out to a soft scream.

'Twinkle, Twinkle' is also pretty soft but pretty much stays that way throughout the whole thing.

-'Ame Shizuka'

5.0 out of 5 stars Be "Awake"! L'Arc en Ciel is here!! Rock on!!, January 21, 2007
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
This album is really great!! Better than their Smile album. It has some songs that's great for ending or beginning theme songs for anime shows. And some songs that's great for background music for anime shows. Now let me rate each track for you and give my own opinions about it.

1. NEW WORLD/4:06 (5 stars)- This song is great! Very fast and makes you wanna listen to it all over again! This is great for a beginning theme song for an anime show.

2. LOST HEAVEN/4:36 (5 stars)- I like this! This song is pretty fast too, but more melodic like. This is the ending theme song for one of the movies of Fullmetal Alchemist. I forgot what it's called. Oh well! Is still cool though.

3. POEM-JOJOUSHI/5:10 (5 stars)- Hyde's voice is very cool and smooth on this track. This song is kinda smooth and a little bit romantic, you know? This is good for a background music for an anime show. Or ending music. My most favorite line of the song is "The love to you is alive in me wo-everyday for love. You are aside of me wo-everyday."

4. TRUST/4:29 (5 stars)- I like it how Hyde's voice echoed at the beginning of the song. This song is pretty melodic and smooth too. I think it's great for a background music for an anime show.

5. KILLING ME/4:01 (10 stars! This is beyond my maximum rate, which is 5 stars)- I never get tired listening to this song! This is one of my most favorite songs. This song is kinda like pop, punk rock for me. Great for a beginning theme song for an anime show. This is so great!! Take my opinion, you'll never ever get tired of it!

6. AS ONE/3:44 (10 stars again!)- Now this is great for a background music for an anime show. This is song is kinda hard rock. I love hard rock songs. It creates intense battles on my mind. I like it how Hyde shouts somewhere like almost at the end of the song. I've never heard him shout like that before. And he's really fluent saying those english words. I'm so proud of him.

7. MY DEAR/5:09 (5 stars)- This song is like soft or smooth. I like it how Hyde sings at the very end when all instruments went silent. Makes me wanna listen to it again. This is great for an ending theme song for an anime show.

8. EXISTENCE/4:08 (5 stars)- This is pretty fast and kinda like hard, punk rock. I like the line "Take away. Their existence. Take away. Their insistence." This is pretty good for a background music for an anime song.

9. INVITATION TO FREEDOM-JIYUU ENO SHOUTAI/3:59 (10 stars)- This is so great!! Very fast and kinda like pop rock. The beat is very good. I just never get tired of listening to this song. Hyde's voice is very high like at the beginning of the chorus. This is really, really great for an ending theme song for an anime show. I just wish that Hyde would teach me how to sing like that. Now that's gonna be cool!

10. OPHELIA/5:09 (4.5 stars)- Well...just to tell you, this song is kinda like jazz rock (if there's a jazz rock anywhere) and I don't really like it. The piano and everything makes me feel like I wanna sleep. When I listen to this song, I didn't really enjoy it, but a little bit. This can be a background or an ending theme song for an anime show. Hey, for the ones who likes this song, didn't really mean to hurt your feelings. Just stateing my own opinions. But if you really, really like this song, I respect that. I like it too...maybe just a little.

11. STARS-HOSHIZORA/5:36 (5 stars)- This song is cool. This is good for an ending theme song for an anime show. Its kinda like soft, melodic rock. I like it how Hyde sings at the chorus part. His voice is so high. Again, I wish he could teach me how to sing.

12. TWINKLE, TWINKLE/5:12 (6 stars)- The music intro at the beginning is great. Makes me feel a wanna play it too. Again, this is great for an ending theme song for an anime show. My most favorite part of the song is the chorus. Can't really hear Ken (guitarist) singing. I can only hear him at the beginning of the song. Oh well, good job Ken!

13. HEAVEN'S DRIVE (LIVE AT YOYOGI NATIONAL STADIUM JUNE 26, 2004) US ONLY BONUS TRACK (10 stars)- I really love the chorus part! Is like all band members of L'Arc en Ciel is singing. This is great when like an anime band of an anime show is singing this. Like L'Arc en Ciel became like anime characters. L'Arc en ciel must be very popular at Japan. Hopefully, L'Arc en Ciel will be popular in America and everywhere else in the whole wide world. Hopefully, they will be considered as the #1 most popular japanese band in the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, May 24, 2008
This review is from: Awake (Audio CD)
I'm very new to the L'Arc~en~Ciel phenomenon and this is the first album of theirs that I've purchased. I wasn't disappointed.

1) New World - L'Arc is "awakening in the new world" Nice upbeat song to start the album.
2) Lost Heaven - Classic L'Arc - just a great song and possibly my favorite from Laruku. I love how Hyde sings "Time goes so fast - Heaven is lost"
3) Poem~JOJOUSHI - Slower song. Tends to crawl inside my head and just stay there...
4) TRUST - I didn't like this song at first but it's definitely growing on me. In fact, it's rating right up there with some of my favorites.
5) Killing Me - One of the songs that got me into L'Arc. Does a nice little auditory mind warp towards the end. I just love this song. A great track all around.
6) AS ONE - The only track on this album I don't really like. The metal backbeat isn't really to my taste, but still a pretty good song.
7) My Dear - Another slower song, haunting and irresistible - interesting use of a harpsichord. Sounds similar to some of Hyde's solo stuff.
8) EXISTENCE - Good song, nothing extraordinary. The end, though - "So why don't you just stay awake...?" - is deliciously creepy.
9) Invitation to Freedom~Jiyuu eno shoutai - This song makes me want to sing along. Wish I knew Japanese...
10) Ophelia - L'Arc tries out some jazz elements. Not their greatest song in my opinion, but interesting nonetheless.
11) Stars~Hoshizora - Acoustic guitar at the beginning becomes more classic L'Arc when Hyde's vocals start to soar and ken lays in with the electric guitar. Still pretty mellow song, though
12) twinkle, twinkle - Both words and lyrics were written by Ken and I think it shows. Something about the harmony... Great song.

Actually, I'm entirely new to J-rock too. And this CD has added fuel on the fire. I'm hooked.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Awake
Awake by L'Arc-En-Ciel (Audio CD - 2005)