Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney
Paranormal Romance -May 1st, 2011
4 stars

Inventive and charming, those who love Karen Marie Moning's time travel Highlander series will be sure to delight in this book!

Published on April 27, 2011 by Bookaholics Reviewer

Published on August 17, 2011 by Real Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars those who love Karen Marie Moning's time travel Highlander series will be sure to delight in this book!, April 27, 2011
Bookaholics Reviewer (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney
Paranormal Romance -May 1st, 2011
4 stars

After all these years, Bree finally thinks she has found a real treasure. But she is in the shock of her life when open the hidden vault and unearths a hunky highlander instead of gold! At first she can't believe she found a man inside, especially one named Faelan, who claims to be 150 years from the past! Even if he is handsome, he doesn't quite make up for loosing a whole lot of riches. And his outrageous claim that he comes from the past makes her doubt his sanity. However, when she discovers her Grandma's secret book and reads about fearless warriors with magical talismans who hunt demons to save humanity. She slowly starts to believe that he may be speaking the truth, no matter how fantastical it sounds. And he bears a striking resemblance to an old painting of a handsome rogue that she has often fantasized about. But according to her Grandma's book, these vaults are actually `time vaults' and used to hold demons until Judgement. So is Faelan an evil demon in disguise or the warrior of her heart?

I really liked the instant attraction between the two main characters and found myself quickly getting involved in this story. Bree is bright, mischievous and plucky. Faelan is determined to try to find the demon he hunted 150 years ago, but first he must learn this new world. It was fun to read him explore our modern times. Even though some of the story is a little outrageous, it made me only want to read more. The time vault particularly fascinated me. When it was opened many characters were very interested in it and this really adds mystery of the story. I also liked this book because Bree really grows and learns that she has more depth than even she believes. Girl power!

Surprising, entertaining and adventurous, I can only hope the author plans future books with more highland warriors!

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, sexy, suspense,, August 5, 2011
This review is from: Awaken the Highland Warrior (Kindle Edition)
I literally do not know what to say about this book. It ended. I read the last page. I did not want it to end. I read the last page again. It still ended.

"A voice brushed her ear. `What was lies within cannot be, until time has passed with the key.'"

It's not that the book didn't come to a wonderful, climatic ending. It did. I just did not want it to end. It was action packed. It was pack with intrigue and suspense. It was packed with a whole lot of beautiful Scotsmen - wearing kilts! And, brandishing swords!

"'It lies hidden close to God, in a place where evil can't trod.' That's what it said."

This story was a wonderful romance, bred over centuries of a Scottish warrior and his mate. Their destiny, decided on by the Gods. But, love at first site, does not always take the easy path. Sometimes, it is plagued with demons and half-lings, greed and violence, and the warrior may also have to save the world a time or two before he and his mate can be joined (at least by a priest.)

""In my day, women were to be cherished and protected," Faelan said. "You can protect our backs while we fight alongside you and cherish us when we defeat the enemy," she said. Damnation. What had happened to the sane world he'd left behind where women minded hearth and home?"

Some storylines are good, but they still just hum along. If Awaken the Highland Warrior were set to music notes, it would be filled with crescendos and the clang of symbols would end the book.

If you love a good romance, and you enjoy a good battle, and if you do not mind a gargoyle or two, AND you do not mind being kept riveted to your seat - this book is for you. Click on the icon and buy it now. Don't pass Go, skip Jail, and get it now!

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I like this book? Why did the author use so many questioning sentences? It is annoying., August 17, 2011
This review is from: Awaken the Highland Warrior (Kindle Edition)
The premise for the book was interesting enough but I couldn't get past the bad writing. Seriously, every paragraph had an excessive amount of question sentences in them. I felt like I was on a game show. "Will she get home? Whose key was it? Why so many question?" There were so many that a 1/4 of the way through the book I couldn't care less about the answers to any of them. The writing was jumbled and the lack of dialogue made the book sluggish. I couldn't finish the book; I just couldn't get into the story. I am not sure exactly what good writers do to draw readers into their characters and storylines, but I know it didn't happen in this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I Downloaded This Book -- Lactose Intolerant Indeed, August 18, 2013
CHEESY!!!!

I purchased this novel because one of the reviewers indicated that readers who liked Moning`s Highlander time travel series would enjoy this book. I have rarely been so disappointed. If you haven`t read any of Moning`s books start there. I am stunned at the comparison.

There was nothing believable about the set-up of this plot. We have Bree racing through a dark graveyard alone in the middle of the night. (Keep in mind that she has lived beside this graveyard all her life. There is no explanation about why tonight was so urgent.) Surprisingly, that night, a burial vault lays open -- something that compares to the splendor of Solomon`s Temple. Ha! Bree has a map that for some reason she has never shown anyone and waits for this big adventure when her best friend is out of town. We are told that Bree is an expert, because she authenticated an artifact for a prince last year. GAWK! How about spending some time building up a credible introduction?

You will be stunned by the brilliant dialogue. "Who are you?" "I`m Bree." `nuff said

"I hope you are not lactose intolerant." (REALLY?? We are expected to believe that this is what you would be asking someone who has just risen from a grave claiming to have been buried 150 years ago??)

Here`s how we learn about Bree.

** No one would make her leave again, not even a demon.

** Had Bree kissed a married man? Let him rub his naked body against her? Was he a man? Did demons marry? (STICK A PIN IN MY EYE, ALREADY!!!)

** She`d tried searching for the Connor clan, but her computer wasn`t cooperating. (Hmmmm... The computer didn`t have a search engine? The computer didn`t like the name Connor?)

** My brother, Big Biff, is coming home tomorrow. Oh, I forgot. He`s not coming until next week.

Then there is the unbelievably clever time travel joke. "Do you have a horse and carriage?" "I have a Mustang." (Apart from the obvious stupidity, we are expected to believe that a 1850`s Highlander would know the term mustang. Not likely, since it was a North American expression relating to wild horses. Seems like the Scot should have missed this pun.)

Good writers can make you suspend your disbelief. Moning is a great example. So is Gabaldon. Comparing this novel to either of the other writers is like comparing a plastic bag to a Gucci purse. It`s time to recycle this bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars engaging romantic urban fantasy, April 28, 2011
On her family estate near Albany, New York, Bree Kirkland opens a graveyard vault. Inside is Faelen who claims he belongs to an ancient Scottish warrior clan whose mission is to protect humanity from demons. He explains that Druan the demon incarcerated him back in 1860 in this tomb. Her clothing and her fighting spirit surprises him as he has no history of a female like her; his reaction matches his wearing a kilt stunning her.

Meanwhile Druan plans to release a virus to eradicate humanity. Based on his description of the enemy, Bree believes her former fiancé, who is acting strange, may be Druan. Faelen and Bree team up to prevent an extinction event from happening even as they fall in love, a taboo by his clan.

This is an engaging romantic urban fantasy as the twenty-first century feisty female stuns the highlander she has awakened with her wardrobe and attitude. The story line is fast-paced and filled with exciting twists. The couple's reactions to each other make for an entertaining save the world thriller, as Bree and Faelen united by love take on the diabolical Druan the demon with the stake being the human race.

Harriet Klausner

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand the great reviews..., September 8, 2011
RTS (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awaken the Highland Warrior (Kindle Edition)
After 20%, the amount of leaps in logic and lack of world building have me at a loss. How did Bree not see the time vault before...given she has been in the crypt multiple times? How does a Highland Warrior end up in America? How does someone wake up after 150 years and just feel ok with getting into a car for the first time? How does a Highland Warrior say "what in tarnation" when he sees an airplane? I just can't finish this book...even though it was only $1.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got to love a man in a Kilt, June 26, 2011
There is one genre of books that I can't seem to pass up, those that include highland warriors, well really, any man in a kilt will do. Add in some time travel and a dose of romance and you have my undivided attention. Awaken the Highland Warrior, went even further, a successful, in charge kind of women.
Bree Kirkland has always felt that someone was watching out for her safety. Perhaps an angel. She thought nothing of digging away in the crypt in her backyard during the dark of night for missing treasure. Instead of the long sought treasure, she unearthed an ancient Scottish warrior. Faelan Connor had been interred in that crypt or rather, time vault, for the last 150 years and still bent on slaying the evil demon who had captured him.

Damsel saves warrior and then warrior feels honour bound to protect damsel. This is one damsel that is quite capable of protecting herself, most of the time, and one who is not going to sit around at home waiting for the big brave guy to do all the dangerous stuff.

This book kept me glued to it page after page as I waited to see what Bree would do next that would infuriate the chauvanistic Faelan. Really, he just needed time to adjust to 21st century living.

I really enjoyed this search of the evil doers, the quest to determine who was good and who was bad. To find out how the Archangel Michael fit into it all, you'll have to read the book. I was fascinated by Faelan's tattoos. You can catch a glimpse of them on the front cover, but the image painted in my mind was much more exciting. I can hardly wait till the next book hits the stores.

Author Anita Clenney has two more books in this series:
Embrace the Highland Warrior which is due out Novemer 2011
Unleash the Highland Warrior due out Spring 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic New Series!, December 30, 2011
Donna Newman (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awaken the Highland Warrior (Kindle Edition)
I have been wanting to read this book for awhile now and to be honest not sure why I waited as long as I did, but I am so glad I finally did. I started this book last night pretty late and couldn't stop until I was finished that's how good this book was.

I loved everything about this book, the characters, the storyline and not once was I bored, though I felt I couldn't read it fast enough, because I just had to know what was going to happen next.

The characters were well written, and captured my attention from the beginning. Bree, I love her spunk, but she has issues which I could feel through out the whole book. Faelan, 'sigh' I love the fierce protectiveness he has for the people he cares about and even though he has some issues too(which I adore in a hero)though I felt like I wanted to throttle him a few times, but that to me is a making of a realistic character and Anita did a fabulous job of making me feel and want to root for this couple.

There is a couple secondary characters that I fell in love with as well and that is Ronan and Brode, one's a big flirt and the other a trickster. I surely hope we will see more of these two.

If you haven't read this book, then what are you waiting for. If you love highlanders mixed with paranormal and time travel then you must read this book! Not only do I have a new series I can obsess over I have a new favorite author as well. Now off to the next in this series, Embrace The Highland Warrior and I hope can find out when the third in this series, Unleashed The Highland Warrior will be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gorgeous - a must read, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Awaken the Highland Warrior (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book from the very first page. The writing was evocative, had a lovely touch of humour and lots of sensitivity. The story had plenty of action, romance and mystery, and I so much wanted to spend more time with the Warrior, Faelan that I re read the book as soon as I finished it.

This book had me giggling in some parts, gripping my seat in others and moved to tears in others. It's the kind of romance I love - the romance isn't the only thing happening and the sex isn't over done, but the attraction is potent. The Warrior Faelen is one of the most endearing male characters I've ever come across.
Imagine a gorgeous, well built, highland warrior who'd just time travelled from the 19th century and had walked into a modern lingerie shop.

`There he was, in all his kilted glory, standing near the edible panty display, holding a tiny piece of material in his hands.'

As well as painting a picture of a physically powerful man with a huge appetite, Anita Cleeney describes Faelen's innocence in all things modern; his vulnerability in being without his horse, his sword and any coin of his own; his curiosity at the modern world and his grief at realising that his loved ones are long dead. Although his attitudes to women appear chauvinistic to a modern woman, they come from the times in which he was born and at the base of which is a deep respect for women. He wants to cherish and protect them. He soon realises that he has to change his thinking to accommodate the modern woman, but there is something incredibly sweet about his simple desire to look after his woman and give her lots of babies.
Bree on the other hand is a modern woman who never asked to be protected though once she sees what they're up against is pleased that a man with awesome fighting skills is with her. She's not afraid of going to rescue him either and all this is quite confusing for the poor time transplanted being. Along with this tension is the attraction between them that they try hard to deny because initially they aren't quite sure what the other is, the relationship can't go anywhere because he can only marry one of his clan - and THE one he is destined for, a bit like the werewolf imprinting idea. He's lusting after her one moment and apologising for his improper behaviour the next, while she is unable to resist him one moment, then reminding herself that she's off men and that he'll be leaving as soon as he finds his clan the next. All this while battling demons and planning to take out the big one.

His clan are a delightful bunch too and the atmosphere within the family is incredibly heart-warming.
The ending might be a little too sweet in another context, but here it's perfect. I recommend this for all lovers of paranormal romance, especially if you're looking for something a little different. It's a good start for someone interested in venturing into the genre too. I give it 5 stars without hesitation and I look forward to the next instalment due near the end of the year.

1.0 out of 5 stars I overpaid, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Awaken the Highland Warrior (Kindle Edition)
How many misunderstandings can two people possibly have? These two are supposed to be in love, but they don't listen to or believe each other, ever. I am glad I only paid 99 cents, but am disgusted at my wasted hours spent hoping it would get better. It never did. It had a great premise. If it was edited to 1/2 the pages and their attraction was more believable, I may have enjoyed it. Instead I am just angry about my invested time.

Awaken the Highland Warrior