5.0 out of 5 stars Wow Stephan is hot!!!
This story is about one hot dominate man!!! I think he could be Christian Grey's brother. Awesome love story. I can't wait for book 2. I want to know what she's gonna tell Stephan.
Published on December 16, 2012 by FFWood

1.0 out of 5 stars i want my $2.99 back!
Oh boy! Looks like this author rushed to get this book out for all those 50 shades junkies! There is no less than 2 mistakes on each page. So poorly written! Save your money. There are much better books out there. I can't believe the high rating this received.
Published on December 28, 2012 by avid reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars i want my $2.99 back!, December 28, 2012
avid reader (norwalk, ct, US) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow Stephan is hot!!!, December 16, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Please get an editor!!, December 28, 2012
Jill Morris (Gilbert, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I had a hard time getting through this book with all of the grammatical errors. It was a tough read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Better, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This did feel like a cheaper version of 50 Shades. Did anyone really edit this? If so they did a poor job. Hopefully the author will have made some improvements before book 2 is released. She needs to write these characters in more depth so you will connect with them and care what happens to them. This was wriiten in too much haste. Slow down and take your time somethings can't be rushed.

2.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is....., February 26, 2013
This review is from: Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A book is an author's time, sweat, and tears. It's their baby. How do you tell someone that they have an ugly baby? Furthermore...who's to say that I could have made a better looking kid. Who the hell do I think I am!? I hate these moments.

This book needed some serious revisions; sentence structure, dialogue, plot development. Y'all know me, I'm not a grammar natzi and I'm not starting now. However, it was more about how the sentences were worded and pieced together. I can totally overlook poor grammar if it sounds right, but it didn't. They sounded...wrong, out of place. It was distracting.

It's almost like C.N. Watkins took the best parts of what's hot right now and pieced them together to make one story. The pieces did not fit and the plot suffered. Things just kept coming out of nowhere. The author tries to make the moments her own, but it just didn't work. It was like Awakened was the bastard love child of all my favorite erotica books. Stephan started out being his own character, but then all of the sudden I was like, "When did he turn into Christian Grey?" I understand he was suppose to have two-sides, but his ying did not fit his yang.

I felt more like I was reading a first draft...the very first draft. It definitely had some very hot moments and though it took a while, by the end I could see a plot forming. One I could possibly follow. I also give respect for a cliffhanger that has even me wanting to pick up the sequel.

I really think the author is headed in the right direction and with a little experience and some honest critique partners, I think she definitely has the potential to get there. She's just not there yet. READ ON!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Debut novel with author potential, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Who wouldn't be lured in by the gorgeousness of this cover? Stunning. Unfortunately, the rest of the book just didn't do it for me. I wanted to like this book like you wouldn't believe. If I had not read the Fifty Shades of Grey series, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

The first part of the book starts out pretty good. I mean, it is set at Oklahoma University, how much better can it get? I might be a bit partial to my alma mater though. It was really cool to actually have been to the places that are mentioned in the book! Then, about 25% in, it seems as though the book started to loose its individuality a bit as far as the plot goes. You have your college senior getting ready to graduate and the millionaire infatuated with her. Nearly every piece of the plot mirrored something from Fifty Shades of Grey. It was a fast forward and watered down version, not giving you enough time to feel the characters or understand why they are reacting to situations in certain ways. You've got psycho ex escaped from mental institution, gifting of a computer and expensive car, masquerade ball benefiting children's charity and another ex trying to get in the way for example.

I also felt like I was more beta reading than reading a final copy. It needs to go through at least 2 to 3 more rounds of edits. I am NOT a stickler when it comes to this, especially with Indie authors, but it needs some attention. It felt as though it was being rushed to be published?

It is also labeled as erotic, however, I would classify it more as "new adult". There wasn't much description in the scenes and they lasted maybe a couple paragraphs. I couldn't imagine trying to write a sex scene and it felt like Watkins maybe was feeling a little shy as well. Practice makes perfect. ;)

The ending came with a great cliffhanger! I think if C.N. Watkins really takes time to deviate her story from Fifty and come up with something totally new and original and works hard on her edits, she will come out a winner with the next installment!

Received book from author for review on The Indie Bookshelf.
[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it.., December 24, 2012
This review is from: Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Ok, so I just finished it and I liked it. There were a few plot problems and there was a couple of character characteristics that I was confused about. I thought Stefan was one way in my head and then he would turn around and get all "naughty" on us. Don't get me wrong I like naughty but he just switched around on me some. Jen, I liked ok. I didn't LOVE her character, she held some frustrations with me. She jumped to conclusions too many times and I wanted to holler and scream at her to just shut the hell up and listen...

Ok, now to the good. I absolutely loved Kennedy and her awesomeness as a best friend. She was there for Jen time and time again, no questions asked! The story picked up for me three quarters of the way through and as soon as I thought I knew where she was headed, I would be completely dead wrong...

I don't like predictable and it wasn't. The ending very much left us with a ohhh and ok a 2nd book will be coming in the near future which of course I will definitely for sure have to read. I will need to know exactly what C.N Watkins has in store for these characters.

I see major character growth & development for the next book and it can only get better from here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was an amazing start to the series. You get sucked in to their story fast and the book holds your attention straight till the end. If you like the alpha males and some hot scenes, The you will want to check this book out. The end leaves you dying for the next book and the rest of their story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Awakened, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
"Awakened" was a good read. Jennifer is in college in Oklahoma as her way for running away from her childhood memories and past. Stefan is the owner of a publishing company who has his own problems. They meet and the chemistry is there but they have complications that arise in their relationship. You have your stalker ex-girlfriend, killers, rapists, and sociopaths on the loose; put that in with their difference of lifestyles and you the story.
It is a good story but it's a bit slow at times. While reading the story I did see a bit of similarities between this book and 50 SOG, except it wasn't as amazing. It ends in a cliff hanger and even though it was a bit slow it left me wanting to know what will happen in the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awakened, March 6, 2013
This review is from: Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story and am now waiting for the follow up to find out what is going to be said to Stephan!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Awakened (Awakened Series Book 1)
$2.99