Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: MP3 MusicChange

on September 25, 2012
So I've been listening to AILD since An Ocean Between Us (favorite album by the way), and I must say. This is an awesome album. I would say this album is the brutal breakdowns and thrash of Shadows are Security with the technicality of Powerless Rise. The album production is awesome, which I was worried it wasn't going to be with Adam D. not doing it. Nick solo's have DRASTICALLY improved, and the breakdowns are not the same as every other band. Overall, awesome album, quickly becoming my second favorite on just a few listens.

NOTE: There is alot more singing in this album, almost to the point of Killswitch Engage's level a couple times. I don't mind it, but some people might.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
Awakened is one of the most surprising and difficult to explain of the 2012 releases so far. In a few words, it's a confusing and over stimulating album first listen through. Imagine As I Lay Dying meets punk rock and rock & roll. Since I figured you'd want me to cut to the chase, I'll list the pros and cons before my review and you can decide if I'm credible enough.

Every song is an epic shred fest (minus the instrumental); it can get exhausting listening when the usual As I Lay Dying dynamics are something along the lines of heavy, soft, heavy, middle, it is fast with it being fairly heavy every song.
One or two choruses may be just a little too "poppy" for fans.
Even though it's about the same length as past releases, the ending just feels too abrupt and leaves you "needing" more.

Best production quality of any of their past releases.
Best use of gang vocals yet.
Best pronunciation in screams yet.
Most audible and well mixed clean vocals yet.
Verse lyrics are poetic and deep as always, however, Tim (lyricist) manages to simplify the chorus lyrics to something catchy and to the point unlike most past releases.
Best solos yet.
There's a variety of styles on the album.
Josh (clean vocals) gets to show his prowess as a vocalist even if a decent chunk of fans hate clean vocals in general.
These songs will be great live.

Early 2012, As I Lay Dying started looking for a new producer for the next album. Adam D was more than busy with the new Killswitch release, so they had to look elsewhere. They found Bill Stevenson, who is a renowned producer of bands like Rise Against...ect. He was also the drummer for the punk band The Descendants. He not only helped produce the highest quality release yet, he also led the band to change the style of this album up a bit.

Awakened starts out with Cauterize, the traditional As I Lay Dying sounding song. I think this is a great starting song considering how much the other songs deviate from the usual. It's almost like the band saying: "Here's what our songs usually sound like, you won't be hearing any of this for the rest of the album." This is both the band's greatest achievement and to some their greatest downfall; I personally find it to be the better of the two. As I Lay Dying tries a plethora of different styles, all of which I believe were done successfully. To account for the rather big changeup, they decided to switch album artists, which was sort of a kick in the nostalgia. While I prefer the original artist's style, the new one isn't bad, just different.

First listen through, I was unsure how I felt. Every song had a similar intensity and each delved into slightly new territory.
Second time through, I blasted this in the car with my friend on a night drive. It then came to me; this album was meant to be a nonstop headbanger.

The traditional sound of As I Lay Dying has merged with aspects of both punk and rock & roll. It's quite a bit different from anything they've ever done before. If you compare past albums to this, one after the other, you'll notice how big the gap really is. At first I was sort of bummed that I wasn't listening to "An Ocean Between Us #2", but then I realized that the differences each album have is what makes this band so incredibly refreshing. If An Ocean Between Us was dark melodic and The Powerless Rise was dark Thrash, this is more along the lines of light melodic. They do an amazing job of creating catchy as hell songs on this release. I mean, the band is already known for each one of their songs being incredibly well crafted and all, but this takes it to a whole new level; I will never skip a song on this album.
The most notable difference with this album is how much less Jordan uses the double bass. I think it works well with the album; there ARE 4 other albums with some heavy double bass anyway :).
The biggest gripe I have with the album is the mixing choice of some of the choruses' vocals. Josh has a great raw voice, but they softened up his voice a bit too much for some songs (softened is different from autotune). After hearing the rough demo of A Greater Foundation in which Josh has non tampered vocals, I realized how much better a rawer version of his vocals would sound on the album as a whole, considering the new rock and & roll/punk influenced songs.
The biggest improvement As I Lay Dying has made on this album is for sure the solos. They are all so insanely catchy and headbanger worthy. Trust me.

Anyways, all cripes aside, I think this will be the most surprising release of 2012. Everyone expected the same, but were given something completely different. Those differences were done extremely well, unlike other bands who tried something different and basically died off because of it. The average Joe will hear the outdated and incorrect term "metalcore" for this band, but someone experienced with this genre will know that the band has left the jurisdiction of metalcore and have become something else...though I'm not sure what yet.
Give this a try if you're a skeptic; I loved the album.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2013
I have been a fan of As I lay dying since their first album when i was still in highschool. Now, married with kids, I had all their albums except this one. It seems I never have time for the things I love now as my family takes up most of my time, but, upon hearing in the news that the lead singer was arrested for putting a hit out on his own wife, I decided to look up the band and found this album. I bought it, gave it a listen and really liked it. The messages though seem to have fallen on deaf ears. Although the words were uplifting in the previous album, this one seems more like soul-searching. Regardless, this album has was got me int AILD in the first place. Excellent rythem sections, powerful, melodic sections with an enormous punch of good ol' fashioned screaming and harmonized chorus'. Excellent listen.
on March 2, 2013
Although As I Lay Dying received negative criticism for their album The Powerless Rise back in 2010, they added a refreshing spark of creativity with the release of Decas soon after. With Awakened, AILD's sound has been reproduced in a way to give the raw, powerful feel of the songs on earlier albums, while incorporating smooth, melodic diversity spread throughout.

"Cauterize" does not fail to confirm the AILD talent of providing an incredible album opener, setting the bar for how incredible the rest of the album will be. Songs "Resillience," and "Overcome" contain gripping melody coupled with powerful lyrics.

As always, As I Lay Dying continues to set a perfect example of musical awe to rising bands in the metal genre. This is definitely an album worth purchasing
on June 18, 2013
As I Lay Dying has created their best album to date by combining their two sides perfectly: screaming and singing. With their new style sounding a lot more like metalcore, they move away from mostly guttural growls and screams to more some clean choruses that really stick with their listeners. While many metal albums have a few good songs and then a fair amount of filler, this album has absolutely no filler. Every song is very good to great, making the whole album worth its purchase.

The lead track and first single, "Cauterize," is a great example of their new combination style by having Tim Lambesis scream the verses and have bassist Josh Gilbert sing the chorus. The only thing that doesn't make this song my number one favorite on the album is that the chorus is only one line repeated twice over. Had they even had it a two line chorus in which each line was different, then this would no doubt be my favorite. My favorite song on this album is the second track, "A Greater Foundation." They utilize the "double chorus" perfectly with one of them by Tim and the other by Josh. And the best part is that the first chorus (which is by Tim) contains mainly distinguishable lyrics. The hook is great in this song and really sticks to the listeners. After this, the next two songs are very heavy ("Resilience" and "Wasted Words"). The latter's intro is the heaviest on the album and likely has the most technical and crushing instrumentation that sounds a lot more like Lamb of God than As I Lay Dying (which is a compliment).

The rest of the songs, including the bonus track "Unwound," are no joke and fill this album out to the fullest. Songs like "No Lungs to Breathe," "My Only Home," and "Tear Out My Eyes" have excellent choruses that will get stuck in listeners heads for a while. The "cleanest" track on the album vocal-wise is the bonus track, which contains probably the best chorus on the entire record. I'm not too sure why this wasn't just made a part of the album because it's on the same level as the rest of them.

The lyrics on this album are very good as well, when intelligible. Certain lines are very catchy, such as one that I always remember: "whispering silence, a subtle contradiction." In a time where metal lyrics are often very cliché, it's nice to know that they had some very deep and personal meanings in their songs.

Overall, this album does it all. I seriously cannot find any problem with any of the songs or anything I would change. That's why this album deserves a 10/10 rating, and my pick for the metal album of the year. This band has really come full circle and created a masterpiece.
on January 26, 2013
The sixth long-player from California's As I Lay Dying finds the California metalcore continuing on the road they first started down on their fourth full-length, 2007's "An Ocean Between Us." As such, 2012's "Awakened" is a thrashy melodic metalcore album, meaning it levies blistering modern-thrash guitar shredding against big, epic melodic choruses that are akin to, say, Zao, Underoath, modern-day Diecast, and, yep -- you guessed it -- Killswitch Engage. There are a few especially Killswitch-esque tracks present, here, like track nine, "Washed Away," a nice, however brief acoustic instrumental interlude, and the closing "extended demo version" of "A Greater Foundation," which features some especially KsE-esque clean singing. (This track actually sounds like that band's frontman, Howard Jones, could be behind the mic.) But for the most part, "Awakened" owes as much to thrash (a la Slayer and Metallica) and groove metal (like Pantera and Machine Head) than it does to metal/hardcore and/or emo.

And there are a few a brutal moments, too. For example, consider the thunderous "Wasted Words"; "Whispering Silence," which is propelled by blistering, buzzsaw thrash riffing and a decent (and very respectable) guitar solo; "No Lungs To Breathe," which has an intro riff that evokes Prong's "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck," and uncorks a really ripping solo, too (one that is quite possibly the album's best!); and "Unwound" (a b-side demo), and another bruising, brutal, pounding modern thrasher.

But for the most part, the album rarely strays from is hard verse-soft-chorus song structure. The opening "Cauterize," which begins with a textbook hardcore breakdown (with frontman Tim Lambesis shrieking and bellowing "Go!" over surging tempos, pounding drums, and fast, chugging guitars) before segueing into catchy, melodically-sung choruses, is one of the biggest highlights of this song type. And the especially hooky and terrifically memorable "Tear Out My Eyes," which employs infectious, post-hardcore-derived "woah-ooh" sing-song-y refrains and features another good guitar solo, is another.

Another includes track two, the normal version of "A Greater Foundation," with its memorable vocal patterns (including catchy, call-and-response hardcore shout-along near the beginning, and really memorable and soaring clean backing vocal line later on). And "Defender," which begins with an excellent (and very ominous) bass intro, before employing clean vocals every bit as much as it does bad cop vocals, is one more highlight. Oh, and, let's of course not forget the inclusion of the acoustic guitar intro to "Overcome," as well as more sweetly-crooned choruses.

True, "Awakened" breaks absolutely no new ground for AILD. And plus, there are a few cuts (i.e. "Resilience" and "My Only Home") that ultimately come across as sounding a bit stale, uninspired, and over-used/done. But even if the growl `n' croon song structuring works better some places than it does others, there is still plenty to enjoy in every song. (For example, the above "My Only Home" does feature some rhythmically staccato chugging and ripping soloing.) As a result, "Awakened" is left as another very solid, if unspectacular As I Lay Dying record.
on November 18, 2012
Two years after The Powerless Rise, As I Lay Dying is back with their sixth studio album Awakened. Let me start this off by saying wow! I was a little let down by The Powerless Rise because there wasn't anything extremely memorable about it, at least for me there wasn't. Well As I Lay Dying brought everything this time, giving us another amazing album.

The vocal work on this album is amazing. Tim Lambesis and Josh Gilbert sound better than ever which makes for a very enjoyable experience. What I love about Josh's vocals is he brings a kind of punk-ish feel to the music. I know that As I Lay Dying isn't a punk band, but Josh has the voice of a punk vocalist. Maybe it's just me. From the start of "Cauterize" to the end of "Tear Out My Eyes" this album is a thing of beauty. Both lyrically and sonically I feel as if this is some of As I Lay Dying's best work.

My only complaint is that almost every song on here seems to have a hiccup lyrically. Whether it's the way a certain line was delivered or the lack of a word that would have made the lyric smoother; there's at least one thing on every track. Then there's two instances where a lyric is just extremely corny. From track four "Wasted Words": "I can't leave wishing I cannot leave." From track five "Whispering Silence": "Somewhere along the line there stopped being lines at all." Now these are just minor annoyances, but in the end they stop the album from being perfect.

There are two bonus songs on the limited edition. "Unwound," which is a demo of a song that didn't make the final cut, and a longer demo version of "A Greater Foundation." Both of them are great, but because they are demo's there is a difference in the audio quality. Still, if you're a fan of the band I would recommend checking them out.

Standout Songs: "A Greater Foundation," "Overcome" & "No Lungs To Breath"

Overall Score: 9/10 - After the slight disappointment that was The Powerless Rise, I'm glad As I Lay Dying redeemed themselves with Awakened. Even though there were some slight issues lyrically this album is still amazing and I would definitely recommend you give it a listen.
on October 16, 2012
I was fortunate to have access to an advance copy of the CD a couple of weeks before the release. For the past month I've listened to the album almost every day. With my first listen, I immediately thought "Awakened" was good, but not near as good as "Oceans" or "Powerless". However, after listening to "Awakened" many times, it is better than I first thought. Still not as epic as "Oceans", and not as powerful as "Powerless", but a really good album nonetheless. AILD has done well putting out consistently great music. As I mentioned in my review of "The Powerless Rise", it was a difficult task to follow "Oceans", but they pulled it off. And now to follow "Oceans" and "Powerless" puts the bar at another level. With "Awakened", they've done well, and have come close. "Oceans" was an instant classic, and moved AILD from a good band to a great band. "The Powerless Rise" became to me even better than "Oceans". It sounds cheesy to say, but the sheer power of "Powerless" is impressive, and can easily rearrange the furniture in your house if you turn it up loud enough. I really don't have any complaints about "Awakened". You can't go wrong buying it, and you won't find a "filler" track thrown in to fill space. Who knows, maybe a year from now I'll like it more than "Oceans" and "Powerless". That's the great thing about AILD, they're always putting out a great product, without any shortcuts: great production, great songwriting, great musicianship. You can't find a weak link either. Just go down the list of the band members and it's one great talent after another. They aren't blazing new metal ground, but it is uniquely AILD, and they do metal as well as anyone!
on October 12, 2012
Metal bands come and go. Ever since I started listening to metal as a kid, only a few of the classics like Slayer and Metallica remain on my ipod from the old days. When I first encountered As I Lay Dying, I liked them because it had thrash elements to it. Shadows are Security was good, and I did not like "An Ocean Between Us." It was too clean, but actually it grew on me after about a year and I came to hold that as one of my favorite metal albums and the best by As I Lay Dying. After "The Powerless Rise," I figured they had jumped the shark. There were one or two good songs, but you were really reaching. It was a step back from the power of "An Ocean Between Us." I was not looking forward to this new CD. I thought one of two things- they had either lost the spark, or were going to try to make a more mainstream album to reach a broader audience. I was completely wrong. The instant I listened to this, it shook me. It is much thrashier than their previous albums. Love the rifts in the first song, and figured that was all they were going to offer. But this album does not let up. It will take some time to grow on me, but it blew me away instantly unlike Ocean and Powerless. A lot of these reviews are written by people the day of or a few days after the release. These are the fans who like it regardless. I didn't want to like this album and didn't think I would, but its crushing. If like trash, you will get your fill on this one.
on November 14, 2012
As I Lay Dying's had quite a history in the underground (and then mainstream) metal scene.
Forward lyrics. Gruelingly heavy guitars and drums. A unique screaming vocalist.
In all the years they've been around, they've changed their formula very, very slightly. Once when they got Josh Gilbert as they recorded An Ocean Between Us and now with Awakened. What kind of change? Most of the songs have a throwback sound, an audial hint of classical metal (think 70's and 80's roots). I can't rightly say I'd have one favorite song or two (I normally do on nearly every CD I have), this would actually be one of the rare times I'd have to say I love the entire CD from first to last second. What's very interesting is that I actually have a favorite intro ("Overcome"- a most unexpected acoustic guitar intro that actually blew my mind listening to it), guitar solo ("My Only Home"- that's now competetive in my mind for Becoming the Archetype's guitar soloes), etc.
Collectively, all the favorite little moments with the combined effect of the record made me feel like I was in headbanger nirvana.
Another unique little change in this album- this is the first studio album they've ever done that uses an entirely different album artwork. At first, I was afraid it'd be cheesy in my opinion. Surprisingly, with the overt change and the little subtleties, I've found it rather beautiful.
Beautiful, just like the album itself is.