Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 6, 2012
This is the first Self help book of many I have ever read and practiced. I have made more positive changes in my life by using this book then with any other book. IT has opened my eyes to more positive life changing moments. I have let all my friends, sisters and my daughters know about it. My 25 year old is practicing mindfulness. It has helped her.
Buy this book.
on April 2, 2013
I've taken the Awakening Joy course many times and love it. This book is a wonderful accompaniment to the course, and a great read. I have it in paperback and on my kindle and I reread it all the time!
on October 13, 2010
From the first few pages of Awakening Joy I was sure that I had found a life-changing book. The authors very skillfully bring the readers into a most positive way of thinking and behaving so that the best is gained from the present moment. They offer many practical exercises to carry out in daily life that transform one from seeing the glass half empty to half full. Even though the ideas presented are based on Budhism, they are universal and timeless for those of all religious traditions to appreciate. I do wish many, many people will read Awakening Joy.
on June 9, 2014
I have a Buddhist meditation practice, but this book has helped me focus and deepen my practice in many wonderful ways. I see the result of more joy in my life even though I'm only on step 3 so far. Highly recommend to everyone, with or without a Buddhist practice.
on May 12, 2015
I am a clinical psychologist who often uses mindfulness with clients as part of the DBT program that I run. I have read numerous books about mindfulness and positive psychology (i.e., about happiness) and decided to try this one as well.

Overall, this is an excellent, beautifully written book. James Baraz gives a lot of helpful suggestions, examples, poems, quotes, and anecdotes to assist readers in incorporating various techniques for increasing one's mindfulness and joy. These are based on an Awakening Joy course that he has been teaching to people for a long time that has helped many. Mr. Baraz comes across as a kind, gentle, encouraging, and peaceful person who is encouraging and comforting to the reader. Reading the book itself is therapeutic even before you try out some of his "steps."

I also was pleased to have learned a lot from this book despite having read several books about similar topics already. I highly recommend this to clinicians and laypeople alike.
on March 1, 2010
I feel so much more aware of moments when I am joyful thanks to this book. It is well written, informative, and truly a fun read. I feel more joyful while I am reading it!
on January 9, 2014
Love this book. It helped me turn off the tapes that had been running in my head for YEARS ! Plus it gives you new ways to have joy in your life. A way to work through difficult times and not let your head take you to that dark neighborhood. lol
on March 8, 2010
If you suffer from anxiety or a deep fear, you are not alone; this is a part of the human condition. But we don't have to suffer endlessly because anxiety has an internal structure in the form of negative thoughts and beliefs powered by emotional energy that has become frozen in place. Uncover these patterns of negative thoughts and you are on the way to making significant change. As a mindfulness-based psychotherapist, I use mindfulness as the primary tool for doing just this, and I would recommend anyone to learn more about the therapeutic use of mindfulness in conjunction with good self-analysis. I also recommend 'The Path of Mindfulness Meditation' available through Amazon.
on March 18, 2014
Everyone should read this, even if they think they don't need it. Its a wonderful message and a great way to build mindful practices into your everyday life. I've found this book to completely change my outlook and build small repeatable activities into my daily life that help me lead the happiest life I can.
on February 27, 2010
This book takes you on a life enhancing journey. Yes, it's filled with practical steps that, when applied, can transform the way you feel and live ... it does deliver that. The great news here is that the read itself is colorful and rich with intimate real life stories that invite you to confidently apply these ideas and to keep turning the page with interest. James Baraz draws from more than 30 years as a teacher of meditation, so there's lots of encounters and transformations with his students here. Even better, James Baraz is not afraid to get extremely personal. This teacher doesn't keep himself at a distance, but instead, invites you time and again directly into his own inner process. This gives Awakening Joy a warm intimacy. You feel like you're walking with a true friend, someone who cares deeply that you find value in his work. This makes reading this book a genuine pleasure filled with real benefits, especially if you apply any of the numerous techniques that are given.

Of course, having met James back in 1984 at a meditation retreat, my review is not without bias. He is a valued friend. One thing I remember clearly about that first retreat is how James invited me to see him, not as a teacher, but as a "Spiritual Friend." In Awakening Joy, this same invitation is felt. Read this book. Let this friend take you by the hand on a path to greater happiness. You'll enjoy the journey and the profound value you will discover.