Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon March 22, 2011
If you're a Green Day fan, this is the best live package yet. The word "awesome" is not hyperbole. You get not only a CD of concert recordings from around the globe (America, Canada, Britain, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Japan, and Australia) but also the DVD of an unforgettable performance in Tokyo.

Greatest hits as well as longtime favorites are included. Every song is played and sung at full throttle. The stage show is off-the-hook showmanship, a constant stream of flashing images and exploding fireworks and walls of sound. Billie Joe, Mike, and Tré are all over the place, leaping, flailing, belting out one great anthem after another and urging the crowd to go crazy. And what horde of screaming, shouting, moshing fans can match the pure, rabid, raving insanity of the Japanese?

After more than 20 indefatigable years together, from obscurity to the popularity of "Dookie" to criticisms of inauthenticity to "American Idiot" to ensuing superstardom and Broadway success, Green Day has arrived at a creative and professional peak. They are no longer derivative, no more a simple rock or punk band: they are themselves, an original phenomenon. No one's going to forget The Who, The Ramones, The Clash, or The Replacements, but Green Day is making vital music that speaks to the world today.

Does this album surpass the live "Bullet in a Bible" from 2005? That's a matter of taste, but I think it does. "Bullet" was recorded during the "American Idiot" tour, so half of the set list was from that CD. The new album is longer and more diverse, with songs from the length and breadth of the band's catalog, so it's a worthy purchase even if you already have "Bullet." Since the CD and DVD have different tracks, a total of 24 tunes are covered. And unlike the previous DVD, this one doesn't break up the momentum of the concert with interviews and documentary footage between musical numbers.

As we await the next studio album, the time is right for another release that reveals how electrifying Green Day is live. Now get this thing, crank it up, and bang your head!!!
on April 3, 2011
I love Green Day and they are an awesome live band, but this concert fell short of being awesome. The DVD editing was annoying as hell...bing, bang, boom...the camera cuts were overly rapid and all over the place. The video producer must think all Green Day fans suffer from ADD. On the plus side, the music is solid, the crowd enthusiastic and it does make a nice souvenir of their most recent tour.
on March 26, 2011
Green Day's Awesome As F**k (CD+Blu-ray) album is a wonderful homage to all the reasons that many people are huge fans of this band. Having grown up listening to Green Day starting with Kerplunk, there has certainly been quite a bit of growth in the band right alongside me. Green Day is, without a doubt, one of the most entertaining live bands in the business. Watching Billie Joe work a crowd is something akin to watching a master artist paint a portrait. He does so without seeming to expend any effort at all and you find yourself mesmerized by the pied piper once again.

I had the pleasure of seeing a concert on the 21st Century Breakdown tour and this CD/Video Disc set captures the magic of that experience quite well. Although it isn't as heavy as Bullet in a Bible, it packs a wallop on its own and will leave you begging for more. It was really nice to see Green Day include some of their older, less commercial hits on this album like "J.A.R" and "Going To Pasalacqua".

The interesting thing about this album is that I was expecting something different and more political. Instead I got whimsical punk music and I was delightfully surprised by this. It is no secret that Green Day has been hitting hard with pro-intellectualist overtones in their recent work and this album tones down the overall message just enough to make it a delightful romp through an evening with Green Day. The message is still there, it just isn't the foremost feeling that this work conveys.

I think that Green Day has been one of the most enduring and surprising bands of all time and they certainly have found their share of critics and adoring fans alike. I have often thought that had Green Day re-recorded their stolen "Cigarettes and Valentines" album instead of moving on to cut "American Idiot" the world of music would have suffered for it. (Oh the title track of that lost album is on this disc. It's great and definitely has a younger Green Day feel to it.)

To sum up this review: (TL;DR) If you are a fan of Green Day you will probably like this album. If you are a fan of live Green Day you will definitely love this album. If not, you probably wont. (Also, why are you reading this if so?)

Five stars.
on March 26, 2011
Greenday are one of the best live bands of all time and Awesome As F**k is their newest live DVD and CD combo documenting their 21st Century Breakdown World Tour. Having seen Greenday live 5 times over the past 15 years in a range of venues ranging from 500 capacity to 40,000 capacity I can tell you that their live energy is amazing and their performances are always superb. This show in Tokyo is a killer set with all the Greenday live trademarks and intense showmanship backed up by a great set list and quality production. There's a few nice tracks to keep long time fans happy including "Cigarettes And Valentines", "Going To Pasalacqua", and "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?" in addition to the obligatory hits from their two recent albums that have been worldwide phenomenons. Awesome As F**k is definitely recommended to all Greenday fans and sets them up as legends of the rock world...as if they weren't already after all they've achieved. By the way, check out the killer drumming from Tre Cool - astounding playing from a human metronome.
on April 1, 2011
The Upside:
This is Green Day live. This far into their career, they still hit the stage with the same energy they had when they were a new band of wild-eyed kids. The songs include both new and old favorites, and having the blu-ray and the cd contain different performances doubles the pleasure. Sound-wise - the blu-ray and the cd are mixed well. The audiences and the performances on the cd seem well picked. Plus adding "Cigarettes and valentines" was a nice plus.

The Downside:
Visually, the directing style hurts my eyes. It is grainy, jittery, blurry at times, and at times I feel I'm watching a fan-made YouTube video. Did this even need to be mastered to blu-ray? Rarely can you make out detail in the way you can on other remarkably filmed hi-def shows. I'm sure someone will say it's meant to reflect the fan experience, blah-blah... if i want that point of view I will jump up and down and convulse while watching.
Track-wise on the blu-ray, why not include the whole show? It makes it worse when they flash the set list and you see that there were far more songs played in this show. Being a fan since '94 it would have been nice to see some more of the older stuff.

But on the Upside: It is only $17. The live cd is worth getting, so if you consider it a deluxe edition of the cd.. great. Crank up the cd, pump your fist up in the air and sing along!

Overall... worth checking out. But take Dramamine.
on May 21, 2015
I still have my Awesome As F*ck sign from the concert I went to in Chula Vista, and my favorite song that I requested they play by typing it onto my phone and showing it to Mike is on this album :D BEST NIGHT EVER!!!!
on January 2, 2015
Well, I love Green Day, so it would be hard to me to give this a bad review. The packaging was great and the case was undamaged during shipment. I will be enjoying this Awesome As F**K CD for years to come.
on April 4, 2011
Before I begin, let me just say that I love Green Day, especially their live performances. I have been a fan since I was 13 and I'm now 30. That having been said I was incredibly excited when I heard about this set, much like I was a few years ago when I heard about "Bullet In A Bible". Then I saw the tracklisting...and that it was a single CD w/DVD(or Blu-Ray)...and the disappointment set in.

First of all, if you order a hard copy, the CD is only 63 minutes long. Why? The average show on this tour was 2 1/2 hours but you're only giving me a one hour CD? If you purchase the iTunes version you get an extra three tracks ("Letterbomb", "Christie Road", and a medley of "Paper Lanterns/2000 LYA") which brings you to just about 78 minutes. Great. Unfortunately iTunes is not lossless, so you're not truly getting CD-quality sound. Which may not matter to some people but it does to me. The song selection for the CD/iTunes version is very good. I was thrilled to get great sounding versions of "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield", "J.A.R." and "Going to Pasalacqua", etc. but do I really need another version of "W.M.U.W.S.E." or "Good Riddance"? Not that these aren't great songs but they played "Armatage Shanks", "Stuck With Me", "80", "One For the Razorbacks", "The Judge's Daughter", etc. on this tour. Why aren't they on here??? Especially since the CD is only 60 minutes!!! In addition to the above complaints, there are some bizarre things that were cut-out of the songs...like the whole guitar intro/doodle/thing that Billie does into "Pasalacqua" is cut. Why? Before they played "Caulfield" at MSG, Billie sang a few lines from "Stuart and the Ave" but that's cut too. Again, why?

Then there's the DVD/Blu-Ray...Now, unlike some of the other reviewers I like the artsier/grittier way it was shot, much like the "B.I.A.B." DVD was...only thankfully without the interviews/clips cutting in between every song...and the Blu-Ray looks amazing on a high-def TV (I should caution you that the transfer is only 1080i and is not as crisp a look as you might be expecting, in fact if you are a fan of the SyFy "Battlestar Galactica" series, that's what it reminds me of). However, just like "B.I.A.B" when it came out on Blu-Ray...why couldn't you give us the whole show??? It just doesn't make sense to me that you would cut-out some great songs for no apparent reason! Especially when you consider the amount of data you can put on a Blu-Ray disc and that we're paying extra for a Blu-Ray version, there's no *real* advantage over the CD/DVD version.

Anyway, despite all my complaining...I bought both the iTunes version and the CD/Blu-Ray version. They are still great to have. It's Green Day live and you should get it.

...but if anyone from Green Day's camp happens to come across this review...how about throwing us a 5 or 6 song supplement EP with some of the tracks I mentioned above...
on April 23, 2013
I have always liked Green Day. This one, however, is a notch below what I have come to expect from them. Not that this is a bad CD, far from it - just, well, ordinary. And that is a word that one does not use lightly with Green Day. Worth the price though - they can still rock.
on April 7, 2012
Their live album is seemingly a great masterpiece off of their original studio recording materials released from previous albums. I really like their song list which didn't include some of the overplayed songs from other live recordings. Green day should start playing other rare live songs more to diversify their musical innovation instead of just focusing on popular hits like many other bands.