5.0 out of 5 stars A humorous light-hearted look at our worst family pictures
I love the website and I had known about that before knowing there was a companion book. So when I saw there was a book too I knew I'd enjoy it.

Published on April 27, 2010 by Jana Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Light on laughs, heavy on bad family portraits
As a semi-professional photographer, I was compelled to choose this book simply for what I thought would be some good 'ol comedic relief much in the same way I enjoy watching funny home video programs on TV. But what I was ultimately left feeling was much different than I had envisioned.

This book would actually make a fairly good reference for aspiring...
Published on April 30, 2010 by M. Erb

5.0 out of 5 stars A humorous light-hearted look at our worst family pictures, April 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The book takes all the old family photos you remember and displays them with funny and sometimes very apt comments. A very delightful read, and it may bring to mind some of your own less fantastic family portraits. I especially love the ones from teh 1970's. That seems to be the funniest decade to me, and I have some doosies from back then too.

Over and above the photos there are humorous anticdoes people have sent in about the funny moments that happened in their families, many I think we can all identify with. The dad who makes an awkward joke, the aunt who always says exactly what is on her mind, or the cheap grandparents who regift presents.

I would recommend this book to anyone. The humor is pretty universal and you won't find much offensive. Just poking fun at family photos and our family quirks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, but not as funny as the website, April 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It was inevitable that the folks at awkward family photos would convert their popular website into a book. For the most part, it's hilarious. It's more or less just like the website with photo after photo of people of all ages showing off their highly questionable tastes, and then capturing these low moments for eternal posterity. If I had one complaint it would be that the captions seem less creative and biting than those you find on the website. Maybe I'm imagining this, but part of what makes the website so funny is the commentary through the captions, and the book seems to be a little more family friendly.
Something new that gets introduced in this print version is the authors letting some of the people in the photos make comments on their own pictures. While this is a good idea in theory, it doesn't really work. The random people make pedestrian comments on their own photos, and the book loses a lot of its humor and charm in the process.
Having said that, if you're a frequent visitor of the website, this book is a must buy. The photos in this book all seem to be exclusive to the print version, and there are some definite classics in here!

4.0 out of 5 stars What A Hoot!, April 25, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As you start reading the introduction to this book you'll find yourself chuckling but as you get futher into it you will be laughing out loud to strange looks from your dear hubby or dear children or for that matter anyone within hearing distance. Some of the pictures are just above and beyond hysterical and the captions with them are perfect. I can actually picture myself in some of the circumstances with which the photos had been taken. I'm sure if I went digging through my family photo albums I would find some hilarious moments trapped in motion that will never be forgotten. Oh and I'm sure there will be a few that I wish would be forgotten but good gosh if you can't have a sense of humor and laugh then you're missing out on a major joy in life. This book will give you joy, laughter and a number of looks from those you love or are near to gain there interest. The one thing I suggest is that you have a box of tissues to wipe those tears of laughter and make sure there is a bathroom nearby as you might just piddle by accident. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the whole [AWKWARD] family!, April 27, 2010
P. Kingsriter "R.N. Guy" (Lakeville, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's face it: Chances are good that somewhere in a shoebox in the crawlspace of your parents' place is a photo you wish no one would ever see. EVER. Be it your once high-style haircut, that "amazing" sweater, that time when the camera snapped at exactly the wrong time to capture your weirdest face ever...

Well, you're in luck! One quick flip through AWKWARD FAMILY PHOTOS, and that picture is gonna look a whole lot better!

This is a case when the title really says it all. The photos contained in this book are truly remarkable in that they put us all on hilarious (and cringe-inducing) display. Based on the popular website of the same name, AWKWARD FAMILY PHOTOS is an homage to the family album, the one you wished didn't exist. Organized by category (ie: The Family Portrait, Mom & Dad, Grandma & Grandpa, The Vacation, Weddings, The Family Pet, etc...), each photo has something to smirk at. See the family black sheep on proud display! Marvel at the horrific matching outfits! Be amazed by the person who really THOUGHT they were cool! Wonder at the oddly inappropriate expression! What father in their right mind would ever wear THAT?! Mullets, mullets, and more mullets! View the pose that at one time SEEMED like a good idea! And the most frequent question of all: "WHAT THE HECK?!"

The photos range from sublimely delightful to downright painful (in a snort-its-so-funny sort of way). You'll laugh. You'll want to share this with friends so you can suffer together. You'll probably see shadows of yourself in more places that you imagined. Well, at least you'll see your crazy Uncle Chuck.

Augmenting the photos are spot-on captions, awkwardly affectionate introductions, and some truly funny anecdotes (presumably from visitors to the website) that had me chortling aloud. One has to admire the courage (and remarkable sense of humor) that many of the photo submitters showed, putting their most awkward moments on display. I applaud and thank you all.

Interestingly enough, with this amazing collection of awkwardness, there's nothing mean-spirited about this book. It doesn't aim to make fun of people, but rather allow us to know that we're not alone. Author/compilers Mike Bender and Doug Chernack gracefully state a goal that this book is sure to accomplish: "It is our hope that this book will bring all our families a little closer together as we acknowledge those special times when we wished we were a lot farther apart." I'd heartily say, well done guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book to help the tense family get togethers, May 5, 2010
This review is from: Awkward Family Photos (Paperback)
Love the pictures but really love the short stories that are added in. Mike and Doug did an amazing job encouraging people to share their very personal and embarrasing stories. I would love to see what these people look like now. I can't wait to go through my photos and submit them for the follow up book.
This is a great book to give to your extended family to help the "awkward" family dinners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious must-have, April 30, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Why do these photos strike us as so funny? Simply because when we look at them, we see hints of our very own families. Their earnest intentions coupled with forced poses, bad lighting, 1970s/80s hair, and cheesy props make for some of the funniest material you can get your hands on. Reading this book is like having your very own Awkward Family Photo album!

Just shy of 200 pages, this book is chock-full of priceless pics organized into 13 chapters, including such gems as Siblings, The Family Pet, The Vacation, Weddings, and Holidays, to name a few. Each chapter has between 10-20 photos that will make you laugh so hard your abs will hurt. I am familiar with the AFP website and have spent many a workday afternoon stifling my laughter at the photos posted there. Although I had already seen a few photos in this book, most were new to me. The photo comments are toned down a bit from the website, so unfortunately the book loses some of that wittiness but in turn becomes 100% family-friendly and appropriate for all ages. Different from the AFP website is that some of the photos contain background stories and commentary straight from the family members who submitted the photos. There are also a few funny stories at the end of each chapter that don't have any photos -- but they're so hilarious that I'm glad the authors decided to keep them in!

This book would be a fantastic gift or even a conversation-starter coffee table book -- because really, who *can't* relate to these photos? Highly recommended for those who want a good laugh at the awkward human institution we call family!

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable Hilarity, April 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I realize that there are plenty out there who are wondering why the heck they should shill out for this book when the website is free. That is the beauty of freedom of choice.

That being said, this book is hilarious and every bit as funny as the website. I laughed so hard my face hurt. As to why you might buy this book instead of crusing the website, well think of it as that wallet full of photos you can spring on the unsuspecting. My father refuses to go near computers but he spent the better part of the evening with the book and feeling better about his own family in pictures. As a book it is easier to pass along as a visual aid and it will actually get people to check out the website when it is recommended to them.

Funny & a good laugh is great therapy - a pretty good thing to have on hand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for gift-giving, May 4, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I find the Awkward Family Photo site to be very amusing - you're guaranteed to find a photo that makes you think of a similar circumstance in your own family. The book is a nice encapsulation of the site, with some of the best photos (plus a few that are not on the site).

I probably would not buy this book for myself since it really does not add any further dimension to the concept than you get by going to the website, but it's a great book for gift-giving, especially for siblings (perhaps with a few of the more applicable photos tagged). It's a pretty slim volume, however - wish there were more to it, or more unique content versus the website. Still, and enjoyable (if not cringe producing) read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for office coffee table..., May 4, 2010
JordanViews "JG" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awkward Family Photos (Paperback)
We're a multimedia company and big fans of the website and we ordered a copy of the book to put in our reception area. Everyone who comes in wants to talk about the book before we start any of our meetings. It's a great conversation starter. I thought it would be a collection of photos from the web site, but was surprised to find that it was all new photos. Kinda wished it also had photos from site as they're classics! Everyone either has a photo like one in the book or feels like someone in one of the pictures. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Funny Book That Makes A Great Gift, May 4, 2010
A Roy "A Roy" (Chevy Chase, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Awkward Family Photos (Paperback)
If you like the blog, you'll love the book. More zany fun from the guys at awkward family photos. The pictures are hilarious--and it is amazing what people do to their families--and the captions add another level of humor.

One important note: The major criticism I have seen in the comments is that people are disappointed that the book is in black and white. IT IS NOT!!! Some people must have gotten a pre-publication version because mine is in lovely color. So don't be (accidentally) misled. Read it, look at it, and enjoy it.

Awkward Family Photos
Awkward Family Photos by Mike Bender (Paperback - May 4, 2010)
$15.00 $8.70