5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Parents!
Published on November 29, 2009 by Jonathan Ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty disappointed
Published on November 30, 2009 by K. Lewton

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty disappointed, November 30, 2009
K. Lewton (charleston, sc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Axion AXN-6979 7-Inch Dual Screen Portable DVD Player (Black) (Electronics)
So I bought this dvd player before going on a 3 day driving trip with my two kids, loving that it had dual screens so that I could put one on the normal way, and the other on the backseat headrest for my son who is still in a rear facing seat. It worked really great for about 2 uses (in the same day of driving), but after the second time we used it, the screen w/ the player in it wouldn't show the display bright enough to see anything on it. My son was very disappointed, and I've been using it just for my 3 yr old, since the baby doesn't really care too much right now. However, he will, so I'm going to contact the company and see if they'll replace or fix the unit. It still plays the dvds, and if you look really really closely, you can kind of see the image on the screen, but the brightness dial doesn't make it brighter at all, and I can't get it to where we can use that screen at all. It really stinks that this happened. And I didn't drop it, knock it, or leave it out in extreme temps. either. Not sure what the deal is, but it's either a lemon, or not a good model.

As to the previous statement's comment about the dvd starting up right where it left off when you turn off the car, I think that only works with cars that will charge things in the cig. lighter when the car is turned off. I have a honda, and they don't do that, and neither will Toyota's. Just so you know. The dvd player starts up all over again when you turn the car off.

I do like the dual screens (or did, when they both worked), and love that it has a power adapter for inside as well as in the car. It also has the a/v input so you can use it with video game systems if you want to. I'm really hoping the company will help out with this unit, b/c it's so nice to have on the long car trips!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Parents!, November 29, 2009
So we bought this for our 14 month old for a 7 hour road trip. We got it early to try it out and see if it works on various errands. Other reviews of the older models made it seem possible for it to only work an hour and give out. It's worked perfectly. I even dropped it on the ground at one point and it still worked! Made it possible for my wife and I to keep our sanity for 14 hours on the road. The DVD player is one of the screens and links through a cable to the other monitor. Since we only have one child, we kept the player in front with us and put the one without buttons (she kicked the buttons when we did it the other way around and would pause the movie) on the back for our daughter. Other reviews of earlier models indicated that the DVD would start over if you cranked the car. Maybe this is vehicle specific, but in our Mercury Mariner, this did not happen. Better yet, we could just pause the DVD player while we did whatever we needed to at that stop and the screen saver kicked in, then started right back up where the movie left off when we were ready to go. If this one ever gives out, this is definitely the one I would buy to replace it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great price...Didn't work, January 19, 2010
After days of reviewing similar products on Amazon, I decided to take my chances with this cheaper DVD player. I waited until the day before our long road trip to install it into our car. Wish I had tried sooner, the second screen would NOT work, period. Junk, I had to then run around the City trying to find another dual screen dvd player for the kids. Lesson learned...to avoid headaches, spend the extra and get a good one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy!, December 11, 2009
I bought this for a Christmas present. Tried it out to see how it would work. It didn't. It wouldn't load a disk. The remeote wouldn't work. There is no customer service at all. The number to call is voice mail only. The website directs you to a e-mail or the non-useful customer service number. Very dissapointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Product Out of the Box, December 16, 2009
One of the monitor is not working right out of the box, so I am returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, really? What is there not to love?, June 4, 2010
Are the screens nice? no. Would I watch avatar on them? no way. is the image sharp? Definitely not. In fact, the color is completely off on one screen. But, the children don't mind & haven't complained one little bit. They are wonderful in the car, perfect in fact. The dvd's don't skip at all, and I missed a speed bump going 40mph once and the movie still didn't skip. They're easy to maneuver, too. Since I'm usally passenger on long, family road trips, I get the honor of catering to their every need (they're 4 & 2 so there are many needs). We used to have one book-style dvd player in a carrier that hung between the front two seats. That was a pain in the rear end to always un-velcro the player, unplug everything, blah blah blah...reassemble. and then the carrier never stayed up. But, there is no unstrapping or unplugging involved in changing the movie in these dvd players. The children used them for 18 hours on the road plus a few more and so far they're holding up. In fact, they're watching them in bed for "family sleepover night" and are as happy as clams. I think the cables are plenty long & I have no plans on replacing them with longer cables, but I am using them on the headrests of the front two seats in a Toyota Rav4. And, the price? $100 for 2? That's a deal. I am one happy woman with this purchase. And no one can believe I only paid $100 for such a fabulous piece of equipment. I kid you not, I have never had so much peace in my life as when my children are in the car watching movies on these particular dvd players. i should mention, though, that my children like to watch the same movie and don't want to watch different movies yet. There is only one actual dvd player in the set; the other screen is just a screen.
To summarize,
PROS
easy to use & no hassle in disconnecting
SO CHEAP!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah!
comes with all the cables you will feasibly need to watch in the car or in the house
they really don't skip
Each dvd player has 2 headphone jacks, so up to 4 children could listen through headphones if needed. However, the volume is sufficient that they won't need headphones to hear it well.
the children are happy & don't fight over who can see the dvd player better! Thank the skies above

CONS
the screens are so incredibly crappy
there is NO BATTERY so no using this set on airplanes
There is no memory for the last stopping point so the movie starts over from the beginning EVERY TIME YOU TURN THE CAR OFF. That means that you will hear the dumb intro music to Robin Hood about five times during the course of a normal errand-filled morning. I have had to take them out of the car b/c I can't stand it anymore. But, I don't really want them to watch a movie every time we're in the car anyway

hope this helps

**update** 6/20/10
we have watched it on a few more roadtrips. I'm estimating about another 20 hours of use out of them. Every now and then, I will have to take out the movie & put it back in because a button isn't working. But, they always end up working fine so far

5.0 out of 5 stars I read the reviews and was pleasantly surprised, March 29, 2010
Used the item on one two day road trip before heading on the big one.
The system worked for both trips and is still going.
After reading the reviews, I knew there was the possiblity that the system wouldn't work. Am so glad I went ahead and bought it.
So easy to hook up!
Volume controls are easy, but since the units are on the back of my headreast without headphones for the kids there was no escaping the sound from the movies.
Really appreciate the price, felt like a more acceptable risk to lay out under $130 for a system with mixed reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great player!, June 9, 2010
I have to say, after reading a couple of reviews, I was nervous about buying this player, but since I am a geek, I thought "well if something goes wrong I can always use it for parts", but that was not the case. This DVD player rocks! I bought it for a 3,000 round trip to grandpas and it worked. No problems whatsoever. I have a two year-old boy that super active and was able to reach the cables, kick it, and abuse it and it still works. Both screens have good quality, and each has 2 headphones outlets (four in total), so there is plenty of room to keep the car quiet. They came with a car adapter and a wall adapter, so you can watch movies on the go or at home.

There is no batteries on this model, so every time you turn off the car the movie has to restart, unless you have a car with a cigarette lighter that goes straight to the car's battery in which case you will probably drain your car battery every once in a while if you forget to turn off the movie when you stop (it has happened to my neighbors).

You can only watch one movie at a time on both displays unless you connect another DVD player to the secondary screen. The cables included are very long, both for the power and video.

I am absolutely happy with this set, and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Owned one for Two years, May 20, 2010
Amazon Customer (Hixson, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these Axion, and it lasted for two years. Why only two years? This unit comes in three separate parts (dvd player, two monitors) and I would leave the units in the vehicle all the time (in cold weather, and Hot weather), let the kids touch it, juice fell on it, sand (from the trips to the beach). Working with electronics for a while now cold wheather and hot weather are bad for electronics; fluids even worst. I should've removed the units from the vehicle when not being in use, for they are easy to remove. The dvd part has quit reading the disks. I've tried cleaning the lens with a dvd lense cleaner but that did not work.

Would I buy another Axion AXN6979 7-Inch Twin Monitor Portable DVD System? I have one in my cart, ready to be bought. I can not complain. It has been a good unit for me, even if it only lasted me two years. This is why I've given this Brand a five star. I hope this review has helped you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a road trip!, May 18, 2010
Astrid (Mansfield, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
We had no problems with these and my daughters watched several movies on our trip to florida, we even took a netflix movie and some av cables and watched a movie on the hotel tv via the dvd player. I found the sound/picture quality to be decent and an all around good deal.

Rate and Discover Movies