This unit automatically programmed itself and all the buttons work flawlessly except my factory buttons for "Next Preset" were set to "Seek Up" and "Seek Down." So Sirius XM would go from 101 then 102 then 103 etc. or the next frequency on the FM dial - If I was on 95.5 it would then select 95.7 then 95.9 as it will not jump up to 98.9 as the next preset in line...
Published 19 months ago by Lawrance M.

I purchased this kit for my 2006 Maxima steering wheel controls to interface with a Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit. The package comes with everything you will need for the install and the instructions provided in the package and online are sufficient for the average Joe (me) to install on his own. Once installed, it works great.. so far.

Now for the bad: The...
Published 16 months ago by Andrew Ruhl

4.0 out of 5 stars Some custom programming was needed. CSR and Instructions are poor, but product is great!, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Automotive)

After waiting on hold for 10 minutes the first time and hanging up, I waited 27 minutes the second time until I finally got to speak with a CSR. He explained that if the radio remote does not have a "next preset" feature, then you couldn't program the unit to do that either. Luckily, my new Pioneer DOES have that option on the remote so I read the instructions about 8 times until I finally understood how to "Remap" the buttons (custom program them.)

It took me 3 or 4 tries to get it right (due to crappy instructions) but in the end, I got the "next preset" working exactly like my factory radio used to do. I will attempt to layout in simpler instructions how to setup the buttons for the ASWC-1. The instructions are on page 16 and chart for buttons is on 19 of the manual.

For other preset options, reference the chart on page 19. Keep in mind, you must go in order of the chart. To skip any # you don't want programmed, press the "Volume Up" button to go to then next number on the chart. Good luck and GodSpeed!

1) Make sure the ASWC-1 is visible so you can see the LED.
2) Turn radio off.
3) Turn ignition on.
4) Immediately press the "Volume Up" on the steering wheel for 20 seconds until GREEN light comes on. (Instructions say red.)
5) Release button. (Green LED will go out.) - This is #1 on the chart on page 19. So you just reprogrammed "Volume Up" again.
6) #2 on the Chart is "Volume Down" so Press "Volume Down" on the wheel for about 1 second until you see green light, then let go.
7) #3 on the Chart says "Seek Up" which I wanted to skip, so to bypass #3 on the list, you press "Volume Up" for 1 second until you see green LED, then let go.
8) #4 on the chart says "Seek Down" Which I also bypassed by pressing the "Volume Up" button for 1 second, seeing green LED, and letting go.
9) #5 is "Source" - So I pressed the source key on my steering wheel for 1 second until I saw the Green LED, then let go.
10) #6 on chart is "Mute" so skipped by pressing "Volume Up" for 1 second and letting go.
11) #7 on chart is "Preset Up" so pressed Preset up on my wheel for 1 second, saw green LED and let go.
12) #8 on chart is "Preset Down" so press Preset down on my wheel for 1 second, see green LED and let go.
13) All my buttons were done now so to exit, press "Volume Up" for 10 seconds until Green LED goes out.

Finished! I hope this helps some of you.

I upgraded the product from 3 to 4 stars due to working properly but did not go to 5 stars due to poor CSR and instructions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine after many long hours of (unnecessary) troubleshooting, August 16, 2013

Now for the bad: The initial install took me about 2 hours. I tried programming the device and it didn't work. I had started the project on a weekend so the help desk wasn't open. I spent several hours troubleshooting until I was ready to just say the heck with it and give up. I called the help desk on Monday and was informed that some of the units were manufactured incorrectly and the wiring on the 2 wires that go to the deck's W/R input need to be reversed. I did this and it worked perfectly.

Since this is a 50$ item, I think it should be better constructed and free of LAZY defects. I'm giving it 3 stars because it works, but it was a major hassle to install due to poor workmanship.

5.0 out of 5 stars works fantastic, March 14, 2013
Got mine off of eBay because it was cheaper. It was easy wiring as long as you go to the website, put in your car and download the install sheet. It called for a resistor which I did not have but it programmed with no problems. Installing the new stereo along with this item took about 3 hours because I did solder all my wires on the harness and the steering wheel adaptor. My car is a 2002 Grand Prix GTP Coup and the stereo is a Kenwood KDC-BT852HD. Hope this helps

4.0 out of 5 stars Works like it is supposed to!, March 21, 2013
*Be sure to check Metra's website to ensure compatibility with your vehicle and head unit, and to download the correct installation instructions. I ordered the ASWC-1 specifically for my 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTS to use with my aftermarket Pioneer AVH 2300DVD head unit that I had installed a year or two ago.

The process of ordering, shipping, and receiving of the unit from Amazon was exactly as expected - Quick, Easy and On-Time :)

Packaging was great and the correct unit was received and in working order.

Installation overall was a breeze, but be sure to double check all of your splices/connections, since the device may power on and blink like intended, but fail to identify and function with your head unit.

I chose to use no-strip inline wire-tap connectors to attach this device to my existing harnesses, which may not be the best option depending on the thickness or gauge of the wiring, physical space limitations, and easy access to the wiring slack attached to the vehicle and pioneer harnesses. The ideal situation for wiring would be to install this at the same time as the installation of the aftermarket head unit, but could easily lead to potential complications due to the number of variables introduced.

*Be sure to check your connections
*You will need to verify that the device is working, indicated by a solid red led, before you finish the install.
*Accidentally pressing one of the buttons on steering wheel control while the head unit is powering on, may cause the buttons to stop functioning. This may be easily fixed powering the vehicle off then on again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works when it wants too, February 6, 2014
Sue-Anne Evans (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
This device was some what confusing to install, I found different instructions on the website than the ones in the box. I know schematics so was able to figure it out by using the pin positions and not just the wire colors. The volume controls work when they want too and most of the time "up" turns the volume down and "down" does nothing. Not happy with the product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Toyota Sienna 2007, September 18, 2013
I have a toyota sienna, 2007. It replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket one and added this steering wheel control to work with the existing interface buttons. I am not a stereo buff, nor electrician. I can solder wires and I'm not color blind and the instructions were clear enough to follow and I got it right the first time. Works very well. Great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great., April 12, 2013
Pegan (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
I hooked this up in my 2010 Subaru WRX and it works perfectly. Recognized the car and the stereo automatically and all steering wheels controls work as they should.

My only complaint is that I thought it was plug and play. The description says "Its simple. Just plug it in and you are ready to go!"

This is not true. You have to tap into two wires on the vehicles stereo wiring harness. The Axxess device did not come with any quick connectors or anything to use for this. Not a big deal, but you will need either solder or some crimp connectors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't work for my vehicle (although Axxess claims it works for vehicle model and year). Customer service confirmed., November 4, 2013
Although the manufacturer includes this interface as compatible with my car (Audi A4 2006) it doesn't actually work with it. I spent a full day trying to make it work, upgraded the firmware on it, etc. Next day I called customer support and they acknowledged that this interface won't work with steering wheel controls that have *rotary* (scroll-wheel) controls for volume (as opposed to push-buttons).

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked very well with my setup..., December 26, 2013
After reading all of the reviews of this product, those of its competitors, I had very low expectations for it and was expecting something that would work OK, but not consistently, or with some delayed reaction. During installation, I was also irritated by the fact that the kit didn't provide any pin connectors to hook up the unit to the steering wheel connectors on my Jeep, since I didn't want to splice my original wires or connectors in case this unit didn't work out.

After using my solder gun to tin a wire and turn it into a pin connector, I hooked everything up, went through the auto-configuration process and...

The thing actually worked perfectly on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. All of the keys worked as they should, consistently,. most surprisingly, it was as responsive as the original stereo, without any over or under sensitivity. No delayed response either.

5.0 out of 5 stars worked, August 22, 2013
works to keep all my steering contorls in a Ford Fusion 2006 & for a cheap price. no complaints here