4.0 out of 5 stars Ayrmesh hub works as advertised

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but time for a technology update
Published on May 5, 2011 by BillBo

4.0 out of 5 stars Ayrmesh hub works as advertised, September 7, 2010
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
The Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub was pretty simple to install and set up. The goal was to provide internet access to a 2nd building on a farmstead approximately 200 feet from the main building. The reason for selecting the AyrMesh was that the main building has all-steel siding, which simply knocks out wireless signals trying to pass through the walls. The secondary building has steel studs but thankfully not steel siding.

Given the distance between the two buildings, we elected not to place the AyrMesh on top of the roof as recommended. Rather, it was attached to an outer wall of the main building. I'm sure this installation point reduces the range of the AyrMesh Hub significantly and probably makes it directional, but there was enough signal strength in the secondary building to not have to go up 2 1/2 stories and have to install a pole and pull wire through the attic.

After about a month of use, the AyrMesh has exhibited no problems and signal has been consistent to the second building.

One thing to be aware of is the AyrMesh apparently has its own built-in DHCP server, so units connecting to the AyrMesh are on completely different network segments than those in the host building. I suppose this could be both a positive and a negative.

Overall, we're quite satisfied with the AyrMesh Hub so far...

5.0 out of 5 stars WiFi Through the Trees, September 14, 2010
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
Purchased this Wireless product and it took some doing placing the antenna on a roof mast and routing the cable down to connect to my office router. So when I got the Internet Signal at our cabin in the trees about a quarter mile away it was truly a rewarding experience.

Despite a clause in the Terms & Conditions for service fees, I was assured by the owner that this was intended for future products and not for the Ayre-Mesh Hub System.

Product Support is excellent and available quickly with some real congenial folks.
Forgot to purchase the cable necessary to mount the antenna so that delayed things a bit, and I have to check into lightening rods and protecting my computer from an errant lightening bolt strike, but guess it comes with the territory.

Another great feature is the ability to separate my home/office network from the public use easily by creating a separate name for the public network.

All in all a satisfying and cost effective solution to extending rural networks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but time for a technology update, May 5, 2011
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
On our small farm the WiFi signal from the access point inside our house couldn't reliably reach as far as our barn, about 200 feet away. The AyrMesh hub was easy to install and the instructions were simple to follow. It immediately provided a strong WiFi signal inside the barn and elsewhere on our property. So, based solely on performance and ease of use, I would have given this product a full five stars.

However, I feel that a product this pricey (and it is VERY expensive for a wireless hub) should be using the latest and most secure technology, but unfortunately the AyrMesh does not. It employs the old WPA encryption protocol, instead of the current WPA2 protocol. For those of you who aren't experts in WiFi technology, all you need to understand here is that WiFi hubs and nodes provide you with the opportunity to encrypt (that is, to encode) the data they transmit in order to prevent eavesdroppers from listening in on your network activity and also to prevent unauthorized users from sneaking onto your WiFi network. Over the years, 3 different encryption protocols have been introduced: first was WEP, introduced in 1999. It was a pretty weak protocol, and hackers quickly learned how to break the code, so today it is useless. Next came WPA (the protocol the AyrMesh uses). The WPA code was 'cracked' in 2009, and today malicious hackers can buy or write their own software to listen in on WPA-secured WiFi networks...so it, too, is now useless as a security measure. Finally there's WPA2, a much more sophisticated encryption protocol that has not yet been broken (to my knowledge) and so is now the industry standard for WiFi security. In fact, since 2006 WPA2 certification has been mandatory for all new devices bearing the Wi-Fi trademark.

What does this mean for you? Likely as not, not much. Unless your neighbors are unusually technically sophisticated and really bad people, they aren't going to be breaking into your WiFi network. But there ARE bad guys out there, and some of them do in fact specialize in driving around with a laptop and some specialized software, looking for insecure WiFi networks which they then break into and steal personal information from. Because the AyrMesh is a very high power transmitter and is used outdoors, its signals are unusually easy for bad guys to find (indeed, a bad guy using a simple parabolic antenna might well be able to find an AyrMesh network from several miles away).

If, like me, you need a long-range outdoor WiFi network, AyrMesh is unquestionably the best-performing product out there. Just keep in mind that it is not secure against bad guys, so don't go making credit card purchases online over the AyrMesh network, don't log into your online banking over AyrMesh, don't supply your Social Security number over AyrMesh, etc. Best to keep your in-house network (which probably uses WPA2 - you can easily check to find out) for these sorts of activities. That's what I do.

The day Ayrstone updates this product to support WPA2 encryption I will, without reservation, upgrade my rating to a full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I planned., October 12, 2010
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
Netgear WIFi unit in the house cannot get outside because of aluminum siding and metal roof, great RF shield, bad for communications. Bought two Arymesh units thinking I would need one in the house window to send and then one in the shop window to receive and distribute internally, since the shop has metal siding and a metal roof. I ended up installing the Ayrmesh 20ft up on my tower. To my surprise only one was needed, working fine going through the two 3x3 windows in the shop/family room building about 225ft away and our cabin (metal roof & wood siding). Followed the instructions on the web sight to set up. I like that you go to the web sight to program the Ayrmesh WiFi. So far, very impressed. I made sure that I had the Netgear and Arymesh on separate channels therefore not shutting off the netgear WiFi. I can log on to either WiFi depending on where I am. The Arymesh on channel 1 and the netgear seemed to be defaulted on 3. They do not interfere with each other since the channels are spaced apart enough. The netgear does not get outside the house therefore I do not have it password protected like the Arymesh, since it goes some distance outside. I have not checked on how far on the farm it will go yet, not that I would think of a need yet out at the pond or where ever. I called before purhasing talking to tech support guy which was very helpful. I use not only for my own web/email needs, but to also VPN into my company network to respond to immediate different building systems monitoring/control needs anytime. Glad I purchased this Ayrmesh product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ayrmesh Hub exceeds our expectations, October 3, 2010
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
Our wireless Internet comes into our shop. When we built the house we left the Internet at the shop so we had a problem getting a signal into the house some distance away. Short of digging up the driveway and lawn to bury a cable, we tried many options prior to buying the Ayrmesh hub. None worked satisfactorily. We could get a weak signal but it wasn't anywhere near what we desired and if both my wife and I tried to go on line at the same time, we had problems. Since hooking up the Ayrmesh, we get the strongest possible signal at the house even doing away with the range extender we'd been using prior to the hub. We consistently get five bars signal strength now. If there were more than five bars on the indicator, we'd get more I'm sure but five is the max. The Ayrmesh hub is worth every penny we paid for it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well at our Resort on Lake Quinault, September 24, 2010
Don Morrison (Lake Quinault Rainforest, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
We have been looking for a long time for a WIFI setup, that would work well at our resort. We have a dozen Fireplace Cabins, 16 unit Village INN, General Store, 31 spot RV Campground, Restaurant and lots of open space. The resort is spread out over about 20 acres almost a half mile in length, the Ayrmesh hub looked like it could do the job, so I ordered one. It has a 90 day money back guarantee, so I felt good about ordering it.

It was easy to setup, which was nice. I put the antenna on a tower in the middle of the resort, then I took my net-book and went around testing the WIFI and was very happy with the results, all buildings with in a 400 foot radius had reception inside the buildings, outside the reception was about a 1000 foot radius. Direct line of sight was even better than that over 1/4 mile.

I do have buildings that are further away from the antenna then 400 feet and behind trees where the reception worked but not good, so I ordered another antenna and set it up as a remote hub, which was easy to do. Ran a test with it and was able to get reception ¾ of a mile a way, pretty impressive. With two antennas, one as a gateway and one as a remote. Now the whole resort has WIFI.

So I would recommend this product. The first one I ordered was $250, two weeks later the price had gone up to $279, so you might not want to wait around too long to order one. And be prepared to pay a high $20.00 handling and shipping charge, unless they change that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reaching Out to Touch Someone, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
The Ayrstone Ayrmesh Hub works in an excellent manner as advertised. You can not go wrong with this unit. If you have alot of trees, metal, concrete blockage between Points A and B, I also recommend a unit to boost the reception. Thank you for this needed product. Kudos to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless reception, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
Well we needed a hub that can be installed inside the cement building for work use and also have a full wireless network for my kids at home which is 200feet away. After trying so many products this is the only product worked for us after many years. It gives a full reception all around. It paid for itself . Excellent reception for long distance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable products ... Excellent Service, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
I put up an Ayrmesh system including their HP router and hub to extend service from my house to barns 600 feet away. I've had the hub for more than six monthes and it has performed continuously without fail.

The router is a newer device. Its WiFi range is far wider than the Westell DSL modem/wireless router that comes from Verizon. Both products were simple to install. There are very good accompanying paper and online videos describing the process. A particularly nice aspect of their more recently expanded line of routers, hubs and cameras is their attention to integrated compatibility. I'm an Apple guy and in this regard, Ayrstone products have a very similar "feel." Took only one attempt to get each device up and running. The online hub and router sites are easy to access and understand.

I haven't had to troubleshoot anything - but I have had questions. A knowledgeable live person is always available on the phone. On one occasion, when a technician was unable to completely answer a question, the president of the company, Bill Moffit, sent me a note thirty minutes later. He has been particularly helpful to me in selecting equipment - some of which is not his!

I am entirely satisfied with Ayrstone Products and Ayrstone Staff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, super easy to setup., September 12, 2011
This review is from: Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub (Electronics)
I am a computer, wifi, network and phone system tech. I purchased two of these units for a 70 site Motorcoach resort in the mountains of Virginia. One Ayrstone, the gateway, is located at the front of the resort and it is mounted on the roof of our clubhouse. Because the back of the resort is uphill and is higher than the clubhouse roof, I installed the second unit at the very back of the resort about 350 feet away from the gateway. Between the two of them I am covering 22 acres and have excellent reception everywhere. I have typical network security that is password protected and I also have client security. This protects each authorized user from all other authorized users. I monitor both units remotely. Couldn't ask for a better arrangement.

Ayrstone AyrMesh Hub