Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 16, 2003
This mic doesn't perform as well as a Shure or Sennheiser shotgun microphone, but it doesn't cost $999 either. I'm using it with a JVC DV camera, and a Behringer 10 channel mixer. It's well worth the money. For the best location sound, use this mic on a boom pole, and lavalier mics for each actor. I was blown away with how much better the sound from this mic is than from the Shure dynamic (handheld) microphone I was using before.
If you're working on a low budget movie, and want to have professional, reliable, and easy to use sound equipment, this mic is worth the money (it even includes a shock mount).
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2011
For the money this is a very good consumer external camcorder mic. There are better (pro grade) mics out there, but not at anywhere near this price.

A couple notes to budding videographers:

1) Shotgun mics don't "pull in" sound from far away. Shotgun mics isolate the sound around the sides and behind the microphone so that the sound coming directly into the microphone from the front is more audible. Built-in camcorder mics don't do this. They accept sound from all directions.

With an external shotgun mic, if someone is 30 feet away, they will still sound 30 feet away. You just won't hear nearly as much of the surrounding ambient noise and reflections, and will hear more of what's directly in front of the mic, even if 30 feet away. The sound will seem more pronounced since side and rear noises are subdued. Given that, someone standing only a few feet in front of the camera, especially if shooting outdoors, will sound fabulous compared to using the built in camcorder mic. The external mic will make the video seem more professional because the audio is better. Really.

2) Video always seems to "look" better when it has good audio (and you don't shake the camera too much of course). Do yourself a favor, and get an decent external mic for your camcorder and you'll be amazed at how much better your videos look.
on July 25, 2010
This is a wonderful shotgun mic, for anyone on a budget. It's very powerful and it is a great step up from the built-in mic rigs on most consumer camera's as well as some prosumer cams. For instance, huge step up from the built-in on the Panasonic AG-VX100B (which I own). It has a huge range, and has two modes I always use the higher cut mode that removes slighter sounds. This makes the sound a little heavier, but keeps them very clear and not muffled.

Also, if you expect to record high pitch things, this isn't too great at consistently staying high. It is more whole from the low-mid range sounds, but does not fail at high sounds.

Another plus, is the fact that it won't drain your cam batteries because it holds a single AA battery to run. I prefer it that way.

The only problem with this mic, is that with a little more research--I found out that the X2 is only 50 more dollars (approx) and that the X2 can double as either an omni mic, or a cardoid--which is a great nifty feature for the extra 50 bucks.

If you don't think you even need an omni feature, this is a great mic to start with. (and keep for a very long time)
I believe this is the BEST shotgun mic on the market priced at the 150 range.
on October 26, 2013
I really liked this mic, but I couldn't get over the lack of tonal qualities in the upper range. People refer to this as "warm" in other reviews I've found, but you can "warm up" the audio of a better mic by reducing the 3-5K range using EQ if that's the effect you're going for.

I liked this mic OK, but honestly a shotgun microphone just isn't a purchase you will need to make repeatedly. With proper care, it should last many years even if used in a production type setting. For this reason, I find it silly to pay *almost* as much as a far better mic and settle for less. I ended up returning this microphone and going with the Rode NTG-2. The NTG-2 just has so much better tonal qualities around the vocal range. I'm not saying get specifically the NTG-2, but I am saying consider some pricier options because I believe they are well worth the extra coin.
on November 4, 2006
Bought this for use with a panasonic ag-dvx100 and I haven't been disappointed--the audio quality I've captured is much better than that with the factory mic. I wish I had seen the two-barrel version of this earlier...oh well. It takes an XLR cable (well that should be obvious from the description) so a buyer should be clear that they have 3pin XLR jack on whatever equipment it is they are recording into. This is a decent mic for $150, it won't blow you away but neither will the cost. Comes in a little pleather pouch, with a foam windscreen, shock isolating mount which screws into the hot shoe adapter and is better in design than the one standard with my camera, as well as some replacement rubber rings for the mount. The mic takes two AA batteries if I can recall. It has an off /on switch, and it has a cardioid/super-cardioid switch. Pretty basic.

...I'd like to mount this on a boom eventually...
on March 19, 2013
Now I can't say I've ever actually owned a shotgun mic, but recently I started buying some equipment, and after a lot of research this was my best bet within my price range. I bought this used but it was still in perfect working condition. I'm sure if you have a bigger budget there are better mics out there, but if your on a really small one as I am, you can't go wrong with this thing! (Provided you make sure to buy it from a reputable seller). It comes with a shock mount which claims to be universal although I can't really see how it would fit on anything but the hotshoe of my camera (or if I rigged something together).
I plan on running to Home Depot one of these days and putting together a DIY boom stick for this thing. If I figure out a way to use the stock shock mount with it I'll come back and edit this to help others out. (Getting a good shock mount and boom stick seem to be a lot more expensive that finding a decent mic... :/)
on May 12, 2016
Extremely disappointed Mic wouldn't work at all, and ended up in an email conversation with one of their employees, and by the time we reached a semi-verdict it was passed the 30 day return mark. The employee was very very nice, but now I'm left with an expensive mic that I can't do anything with..
on April 5, 2010
I'm very please with this mic. It sounds good and does a much better than expected job at blocking sound that is not directly in front on you. I use the mic outside for action video in often windy conditions. The low pass filter works very well. I added a deadcat but still need the low pass filter in windy conditions. The included mount works great on the HMC150, the mic is never visible in the shot even with deadcat at full wide angle. Get an 18 inch XLR cable if you have an HMC150, it is the perfect size for my camera. Glad I didn't go smaller.
review image
on May 11, 2014
You can spend loads more for a medium sized shotgun mike, but this one works fine.

I got it to remotely mike a wedding outdoors and the sound was perfect.

The mike was about 20 feet from the wedding couple and we picked up every word, loud and clear.

They were amazed that I had got the whole thing recorded without a hitch.

You probably will need a mike stand - get a photographers tripod for this one. It has the right screw.
on December 12, 2012
I like the sound of this mic the features are excellent and it is easy to use I know a new version is out but for overhead capture and on camera the sound quality is quite nice please review my YouTube channel " JKAGOSO" for some samples of the Videos I have taken using this mic on the HMC40 & the HMC80 camcorders