5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price & works perfectly with Windows 7 64-bit
Several things of note about this remote:

1) Contrary to other reviews, this works perfectly fine with Windows 7 64-bit. It automatically located the drivers and I was up and running with WMC (Windows Media Center) in about 3 minutes.

Published on January 16, 2011 by Nathan Beauchamp

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after one month
I purchased this item for use with my Logitech Harmony 1100 remote. It was to replace another remote (model IR02BK) by this same company when the "pause" button failed to work. On that remote I was informed through a company email that the problem was caused by a production control problem. They provided me a return authorization.

Since I could not be...
Published on June 3, 2010 by B. Lewis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after one month, June 3, 2010
This review is from: Azend Group MediaGate GP-IR01BK 1-Channel IR Windows Vista Media Center Remote Control and Receiver (Black) (Electronics)

Since I could not be without a working remote, before I returned the IR02BK, I ordered the IR01BK as a replacement. Unfortunately, the pause button did not work on that remote either. Last night, after about five weeks of use, the IR01BK stopped working at all.

Since the RMA was issued, emails to the company have been ignored, including my request for a phone number so that we could try to resolve these issues. For those who wish to contact the company, based upon the RMA address, the product appears to have been distributed by Media Gate (Anyware Computer Accessories) in Baldwin Park, CA. Their phone number is 626-330-2203.

I have given up on trying to make either of the two remotes work. I will now temporarily reinstall the IR02BK and look for a remote with a better reliability history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price & works perfectly with Windows 7 64-bit, January 16, 2011
Several things of note about this remote:

2) You can use a harmony remote with the transmitter provided with this remote. I am currently using my Harmony 700 with it, and after a little tweaking, it's working flawlessly.

3) As others have noted, the name needed to sync with your Harmony remote is Anyware GP-IR01BK

4) I was pleasantly surprised with the overall quality and design of this remote. It's not as 'cheap' as I expected and is really a usable remote for an HTPC rig. I bought it for the transponder but have used it alongside my Harmony and have had no issues with the remote. It's a nice remote--don't be scared to buy one.

Overall I think this is a really solid purchase and the price is very reasonable.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good (after 3rd party software), December 6, 2009
I just started using this remote this morning, but so far it's working exactly how I want it to work. I had to install 3rd party software to get it to control anything other than media center, but I found a free program that works really well -- I would have given this remote 5 stars if it had come with the ability to control other programs.

It installed itself automatically in just a few seconds (windows vista home premium 64bit OS). The signal strength is great - the receiver seems more than sensitive enough.

As is, the remote is only set up to work for windows media center. The directional arrows have some functionality in windows, but it's not enough to control anything. The remote doesn't give you any control over any of the individual buttons, which is annoying. It doesn't even include a button to exit media center once you're in it - you can put the pc in standby, and you can turn the monitor off/on, but you can't exit media center. I guess this makes sense, considering they apparently don't think this remote will be used in any other application.

However, this was easy enough to fix this with 3rd party software. I'm currently running a program called EventGhost, which has allowed me to set up the remote to control other programs, as well as other options (such as exiting media center). It took a little while for me to figure out how to use it, but now it all makes sense. Once I got the 3rd party software all figured out, the remote became exactly what I want in a PC remote.

The design of the remote seems fine to me. No backlighting, but not such a big deal to me. I also set up my harmony 670 universal remote without much trouble. The only issue I had was finding the manufacturer in the harmony remote software (although this is a problem with the harmony software, not this media center remote) -- MediaGate is what it says on the remote and in the description on amazon, but my logitech harmony software didn't have mediagate in the list of manufacturers. I went through the wizard for a manufacturer not listed, and it came up with "AL Tech GP-IR01BK", which appears to be correct (at least all the correct functions were listed). Also, newegg's description of the exact same remote indicates it is made by a company called "AVS Gear." Anyway, once I got the harmony program to find the correct remote, everything from that point on was easy.

Anyway -- so far so good! I'll modify my review if it suddenly stops working. I'm planning on upgrading to windows 7 in the next few weeks, so hopefully it still works after that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for XBMC, February 11, 2011
I bought this remote specifically for use with XBMC. For those of you with a HTPC who do not know about XBMC, it is an amazing free media manager so give it a look if you're using anything else. Also, Event Ghost is a great program that can map each of your button presses to custom macros and actions.

PROs -

* Reasonable Price
* Good Range and Recognition - I've had no issues with 'line of sight' and I'm able to use the remote from all angles in my living room.
* Fast Response time - Many reviews on other remotes complain about issues with lag and slow response time, but button presses on the GP-IR01BK are registered nearly instantly.
* With Event Ghost I was able to configure every button to do exactly what I want it to within XBMC

CONs - (these aren't really issues with the device itself or it's performance just things that bother me YMMV)

* I feel like the media center button and the ok button should have switched positions. The design of the remote positions your hand such that your thumb always wants to press the media center button... Just have to get used to it.
* The media center button also turns on my xbox 360, so I'll have to figure out a way to disable this or stop it from happening.

**Side note - I'm using the remote on Win 7 64-bit Ultimate and have had 0 issues**

5.0 out of 5 stars Great remote for use with Logitech Harmony remote, February 18, 2010
HLN (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
Love this remote but I am really using it with my Logitech Harmony 880. I use the name "Anyware GP-IR01BK" as the name for my Harmony to recognize. Anyware GP-IR01BK is also on Harmony database.

Now my Harmony 880 is happily controlling my Dell Zino Windows 7 Media Center. It even puts the PC to sleep when pressing the off button on the 880. Wakes it up too. Very impressive product.

As a side note, I am using Wins 7 Media Center with MediaBrowser and it is fantastic. I am a die hard Apple fan, but Windows 7 MCE is addressing all my multimedia needs for the TV at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Receiver, Awesome Remote, runs without Media Center, February 2, 2011
I have a difficult time believing this remote doesn't work for some people. I have the IR hooked to a 30ft extender usb cable and works perfectly. In fact, it works better than perfect. I can aim anywhere in my white wall living room and this thing registers every time. The remote is very sleek looking; however, I am using a Boston TSU-501 Universal Learning Remote. Codes all "learned" correctly, and I can still point my Boston Remote anywhere in the room and it registers. I am using this remote with ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 and iTunes without a flaw, (no programming required). FYI: I am not running Windows Media Center; I am running HP p6230y AMD Phenom(tm) IIX4 810 Processor 2.60 GHz with on-board factory ATI RS880 graphics card. Windows 7 64-bit, with ESET NOD Security, projecting Blu-Ray Discs running at 1080p to a 56" DLP Samsung. Zero issues so far. Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks for a great and usable product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with XBMCbuntu and LIRC, September 16, 2013
Bought this for an XBMC setup on my main computer and had to write out a configuration file for it.

However, I decided to build a new dedicated HTPC and used XBMCbuntu as the OS. Out of the box it worked flawlessly. Every single button was pre-configured and did exactly what it was supposed to.

Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars xbmc ubuntu, May 29, 2012
This remote works pretty good in ubuntu. out of the box plugged in, and it started working.
I don't like how the OK button is not mapped to the enter keyboard command. The Enter key is at the bottom. I am always arrowing to my selection in the middle of the remote, and then I have to hit the return key way down at the bottom. the OK button in the middle of the arrows should be mapped to enter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, February 28, 2012
Wayne (Silicon Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Media Center remote controls are designed for a single purpose. They are not expected to work with anything but Media Center any more than your stock TV remote control is expected to work with your toaster. The biggest differences are how the buttons are arranged, how well the IR receiver works, and whether the remote control has any additional features or buttons. This remote control does well on all points.

Setup: Regardless of which MC remote you buy, the setup process is identical. You plug the IR receiver into a USB port. That's it. Any mentions in reviews of Harmony remotes or other brands of remotes has no relevance. The IR receiver receives the IR signals, and Windows processes the info from them using its own drivers. The functionality does not vary and is specified by Microsoft.

IR Receiver: IR receivers vary from button sized ones at the end of cords to more hefty ones such as this one, to even larger ones. This one functioned well with the RC pointed at it, pointed away from it, and pointed at the wall behind me, in a room where the PC is about 15 feet away. I compared it with an even larger one (ironically pictured in the manual but not included) and the included one worked just as well.

Button layout: Although MC remote controls are not 100% standard, they tend to be pretty close in layout. The various clusters of buttons tend to be laid out similarly. On this model, the volume, mute and channel buttons are in the expected location surrounding the "green button" but are arranged in a circular fashion that makes them easily accessible by feel. Likewise, the cluster of buttons around the Play button is in a fairly standard arrangement, but its circular layout makes it very easy to find the correct buttons. If you've used a different brand MC remote control before, you'll have no problems getting used to this one almost immediately, and won't need to fumble for keys even without a backlit model.

Each button also has a text description of its function in case you are not initially familiar with the standard icons such as double arrows or a box with rabbit ears and red dot. Other brands of remote controls use identical icons on the buttons, but you need to know what they mean.

Additional features: Media Center remote controls are required to have a standard set of buttons. Their function is dictated by Microsoft, not the remote control manufacturer, so there's almost no variation from one MC remote to another in terms of which buttons are available. However, this one has a radio, music, pictures and video button which are not required buttons. They work exactly as you'd expect them to work in Media Center. There is also a Zoom button, that saves you the trouble of using the "i" button, moving to the left or right until you get to the zoom menu, and choosing a setting.

User manual: This remote control comes with a user manual. Since MC remotes are standard, many don't come with one and you can look up what the buttons do on Microsoft's website. This one describes what all the buttons do, and how you set up the IR receiver. It also mentions optional features that do not come with this particular model. It fails to mention that the IR emitter described is optional, but it's only relevant when the RC comes bundled with a tuner card.

If there are any weaknesses, it's that you are not buying a more expensive remote control with the optional features described. Other models could have a TV power button in place of the zoom button, in which case the remote would be a learning one for that feature, and (optionally) for the volume control, mute buttons and numeric keypad. If you use a separate RC for your TV anyway, it won't be a big deal. Also, a more expensive backlit model may be available. These are not really faults of the remote control though, but differences between it and more expensive models.

As long as you understand that this is designed as a dedicated purpose remote control for Windows Media Center, you will be getting a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange Shape, works great, December 22, 2011
The remote is kind of a strange curved shape but otherwise it works great. I am using it with Windows 7 and WMC. As it turns out, it also works on my XBox 360, which is nice, but also means I need to cover the sensor on the XBox if I don't want have it do random things while I use the remove in WMC.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›