5.0 out of 5 stars Plug-n-play for XBMC / LIRC
Published on April 5, 2010 by Joe

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite ...
This remote seems to work well for the basic MCE functionality, but it has some issues that hamper its usability (for me.)

Published on July 3, 2009 by T. J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug-n-play for XBMC / LIRC, April 5, 2010
Joe "- JM" (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Azend Group MediaGate GP-IR02BK Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate MCE Remote Control, 2 Channel IR (Black) (Personal Computers)
This remote works flawlessly for anyone looking for a solution to control XBMC or any Linux program that uses LIRC. After using a similarly branded "MCE" remote, I was expecting to have to tweak settings in order to get this remote to work just how I wanted. I was completely surprised when I plugged it in, and EVERY single button functioned correctly. Thank you, Noah, for sticking to standards, and not putting out cheap pieces of plastic that barely function.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great remote/receiver for XBMC, January 18, 2010
Michael Kozlowski (Livonia, MI United States) - See all my reviews
So I bought this entirely for use with XBMC. I plugged the receiver into my Revo running XBMC Live, put batteries in the remote, and it worked instantly and without any configuration.

I plan to program my Harmony to control this, so wasn't too worried about the remote itself, but it's an above-average-quality one, with a sensible layout and well-labeled buttons.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite ..., July 3, 2009

First, the "learning" feature that's been mentioned elsewhere. The MS remote for MCE has the ability to "learn" to turn your TV on/off, and to adjust the volume on your stereo (or TV.) This remote mentions such a feature in the manual ("if available"), but the version sold here doesn't actually have this feature. Having to juggle three remotes gets cumbersome, especially when the "standard" MCE remote doesn't have this problem.

Second is response time. As implied in my previous paragraph, I also have an MS MCE remote. The MS remote/receiver is quite responsive. With this remote you have to hold down each button longer for it to "register" as a button-click with the receiver. At first I thought it was an issue with the remote itself, but I later realized it's an issue with the receiver. (The receiver that came with this remote will work with the MS remote, but it still has a "sluggish" response time. No such issue if I go back to the MS receiver.) If you're used to clicking through menus (or commercials) quickly, this gets aggravating because it doesn't register some of your clicks.

Finally, this remote is extremely lightweight. It has no heft to it. This might actually be a good thing if it weren't for the learning issue, but since I'm not actually using the remote for its intended purpose, this means I can't even use it as a paperweight on my coffee table.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, May 29, 2009
I got this remote to use with a new system I have running Media Center on Windows 7 Release Candidate. I also have another system running Vista Media Center which I've been using with the old "official" Windows XP Media Center Edition (MCE) 2005 remote. I like this new one much better than the old Microsoft one.

This remote is a bit light for my tastes and is a too thin at the top, but the construction is solid. I really like the arrangement of the transport controls in a neat circle around the play button. I never mistakenly hit the Fast Forward button when I'm trying to hit Skip Forward like I did with the old remote. I also like that the record button is recessed in this circular array. It keeps it from being accidentally hit.

This remote also has some extra direct link buttons like "Pictures" and "Music" that weren't on the older official remote. Those have come in handy for me at times.

The setup for the remote is as simple as "plug and play". Once the USB cable for the IR receiver was plugged into a USB port on the computer, it was instantly recognized. Windows automatically installed the device and it was ready to go in about 15 seconds with no intervention on my part. It doesn't get any easier than that. Just hit the Green Button and go.

I do like this remote a lot. It isn't perfect, though. It is not a universal remote, it doesn't have backlit keys, and (as I mentioned above) it could stand to be a little thicker towards the top for better feeling when the upper buttons are being used. I will also say that the cable included for the IR receiver is very short. It is about only 3 feet in length. The good news is that the cable is not hard-wired. It is a standard mini B USB connector, so you can go anywhere and pick up a longer USB A to USB mini B cable if you need to move the receiver further from your system.

Overall, though, the benefits outweigh the negatives. I would recommend this remote control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best IR receiver on the market, November 29, 2010
J. Brown (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
After spending countless dollars looking for a remote that 'just worked', I finally came across this unit. I was previously using a USB-UIRT on an Ubuntu box to control MythTV, but a recent upgrade to the Ubuntu box made the remote not work anymore, despite the exact same configuration as before. I tried several other receivers to find most of them worked as a mouse (HID device). This makes it hard to program for linux.

The Noah Company remote receiver works flawlessly in Windows and Unix. The receiver was able to decode any remote signals I threw at it, from MCE remotes, to TiVo, to Hauppage. This was a far cry from the previous sensor. Linux was able to deal with it without anything special as well. Additionally, I had to hook up a 15ft USB extension cable, which the sensor dealt with without a problem.

The remote itself is nothing spectacular, but I am able to use my Harmony remote, which is what I was going for.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Remote!, January 30, 2009
So many times you buy a product online and it doesn't quite measure up. Not this one--from the box to the style of the remote, to its working features--this is one great remote, and a statement like that is hard to get from me. I'm using it to drive a media center PC for my main HD TV.

If you understand this is a remote for only using Windows Media Center (WMC), you will not be disappointed. Some of the things this remote will do (most with one button push)
1. put the PC to sleep/ wake it up
2. Select the main menu when watching a DVD
3. Change channels on your TV tuner attached to the PC.
4. Start recording a TV program from the TV guide.
5. Zoom in on the screen for DVD's that don't fill the screen. (four choices)
6. One button WMC startup.
7. easy guide navigation (up, down, left, and right)
8. One button push to watch TV from outside WMC.

Things that keep it from perfect:
The directions mention a "learning" capability (to use the volume on the TV vs. the computer, for example), but this model didn't have that.
It requires a separate infrared receiver (provided) that plugs in to a USB port. About 2X2 in.

And did I say, this is one the nicest looking remotes? Stylish--it looks first class.

The directions say it's for Vista--I'm using it with Vista Ultimate.

I recommend this highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really good IR receiver, January 4, 2010
I don't know about the remote that comes with the package, because I am using a Harmony 720 with it. I have really good angle able to just point in general direction of IR receiver and it picks it up! Works with Windows Media Center and Also was able to get it running in Linux with some tweaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great remote for XBMC, March 30, 2010
great remote. works with linux and xbmc/boxee with no config on modern linux systems!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great IR receiver for a low price., May 30, 2010
J. Higgins (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
I bought this knowing I wouldn't ever use the remote. I'm glad too because the first time I fired up the remote, I hit the Microsoft button and my Xbox came on. I didn't want that to happen haha.

Anyway, I bought this for the IR receiver. I have a Logitech Harmony 880 Remote Control - Refurbished and I wanted to be able to control XBMC on my Windows 7 based Home Theater PC. I plugged this in and added the device on the Harmony software as a generic "Media Center PC" and started mapping my keys.

The receiver has been great. I can't comment on the remote because I don't use it at all... But the receiver has a nice range to it. I hate how the Xbox 360 needs you to be pointed almost directly at it. This one doesn't have that problem... I don't have to worry about dead on remote pointing so much.

So yea, I give it 5 stars because I don't have to deal with the remote at all and I didn't purchase it. I suggest EVERYONE buy a Harmony remote instead of buying separate remotes over and over. It will be your best purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alright but problems with its own IR receiver, November 13, 2008
John S. Dean "John" (Sturtevant, WI United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've been using media center since XP's version debuted and using a regular home theater PC before it. I've had various flavors of Media Center remotes through the years, which ends up being a fortunate thing since the IR receiver on this unit is problematic, as evidenced by one of the other users getting double inputs on everything.

Since I already had an IR receiver from my other media center remote, I just pulled this remote out of the box, put the batteries in, and was off and running. Worked fine, every input worked perfectly. But the older IR receivers from the standard media center systems are larger and more obtrusive than the smaller profile unit that came with this, so I went ahead and disconnected my old one, and plugged this one in. Still let the IR blaster signals through fine, could change channels, but the green button no longer worked apparently, nor did the zoom feature. Every button input, as noted in another review, was doubled. So I pulled the receiver off that came with this, put the original back, and it worked like a champ again. That cost it one star.

The other star was lost due to the inability to learn anythign else. My searches turned up two versions of this remote, one with a "lower" number and this one, so I assumed this was the one that could learn things like the TV power so I could only use the one remote. Not true. No learning on this model, and no backlighting on the keys. Since this is a new layout for the keys, I would've appreciated backlighting until I learn where things are by feel. So those two cost it another star.

On the plus side, it's the only remote I've seen that has some of the media center specific features like Zoom. And, unlike the newer one that came with Media Center kits the last few years, this one still has direct buttons for radio, music, pictures, and videos, things that disappeared on the new iterations of remotes a few years ago. So that brought one of the stars back that I removed from the pitfalls.

Most used buttons are well placed and individual enough that inadvertant pressings are nonexistent. The transport controls are easy to find and all the buttons have good tactile response. You KNOW when you've pressed them.

Overall a great remote for such a cheap price. Unfortunately the lack of learning means it will only be in use here until I get a new remote, whenever the new remotes with windows sideshow functionality are more than just vaporware.