Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Baby Sale

B-52s with the Wild Crowd!: Live In Athens, GA [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$13.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 20, 2012
I Have had the Live CD for a few months and have seen many clips of the live show, and being a veteran of 30 Shows ,If you want to dance and Boogie and have a good Happy time buy this DVD, It spans their entire career of 35 years. But why did it take so long for them to put out their first live DVD? Their Voices have not lost a bit and they can still jam with the best of them
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2012
Part of this concert was on PBS the other night for a pledge drive (along with the B-52s themselves!) and I can highly recommend it. Its great to see and hear Pump and Funplex from their last CD (although would have been nice if they included Juliet of the Spirits, another great track). Recall first seeing the B-52's perform on (of all things!) The Guiding Light soap opera back in the early 1980's, its now hard to believe they have been around for over three decades. On this DVD they play all their well known hits in a lively and fun filled concert - obvious the audience has a good time as well. Fans will want to add this to their collection.
on March 12, 2012
The B-52's are STILL the World's Greatest Party Band just ask anyone who goes to their shows :)

I have been in love with The B-52's since I first saw them on Saturday Night Live doing Dance This Mess Around and Rock Lobster back when they first began.

I had NEVER seen anything like THAT before and I WAS HOOKED ... I was 17 and can remember the next day emptying my "party fund" and going to Turtle's Records to buy the 8 track of The B-52's ... their first full effort .... AND THEN to hear that they were coming to The Agora Ballroom in the near future ... I knew that I was meant to be there!!!!

Well THAT was my very first concert ever ... I had to use a Fake ID to get in and needless to say 35 years later and having close to 75 shows under ny belt .... I STILL LOVE THE B-52's

The DVD show in Athens was absolutely INCREDIBLE with fans coming from ALL OVER the place to share a very special evening with some of the most creative and talented forces in the music industry .... IT WAS AN AMAZING SHOW and the DVD is great .... they still have as much fun performing now as they did then and they continue to send out Cosmic Love and Positive Energy throughout the set list.

I give THe Wild Crowd DVD an A+++++ and would tell EVERYONE in the world who loves to dance and have fun to buy it :)

A day without The B-52's is like a day without sunshine!!

I love them as people and as entertainers and THEY DESERVE TO BE IN THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME and we should not rest until they are!!

God Bless the day that The B-52's came into my world as life has always been better with them in my life!!!

C / F / K / K / R / T / P & S ..... I love you all!!!
on March 25, 2012
The Blu-ray picture is beautiful. Sound formats include LPCM, DTS and 5.1 Dolby Surround. Between the ultra-clear video, the terrific photography and the amazing sound, it feels almost as if you're there at the concert--except this time, it's up close and personal. The image, drenched in the colors of a stunning light show, fills an entire 16:9 TV screen.

The biggest surprise for me was the vocal power of the two ladies, Kate Pierson (the redhead) and Cindy Wilson (the blonde). Their voices haven't aged even the slightest bit. I expected some fudging on the super high notes in some of their earlier songs, but they still sounded as good, if not better than, their recordings.

Keith Strickland's guitar work is superb.

Fred Schneider is his usual offbeat, subtly sarcastic self, offering up humorous comments between songs.

The rest of the band, the keyboardist, bass player, and drummer, is extremely energetic. It is obvious that all those on stage are having a genuine blast and putting their all into delivering an excellent concert that all ages can enjoy.

The Blu-ray also features a sit-down fireside-like chat with all four members of the band. There is a great deal of discussion about Ricky Wilson, Cindy's brother and former member of the band up until his untimely death. The four reminisce about their childhoods, how they all met one another, and how they managed to get signed with a major label. We're treated to vintage photographs and videos during the interview as well.

A+ all the way around!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2012
How can I sum up The B-52's? Two words.....energetic phenomenon! I have been to several shows....including this one to celebrate 34 years together (now 35 years together). Being one of the members of 'The Wild Crowd' certainly was a honor. A memory that will not ever be forgotten and a one that can be re-lived all over again( by over again, I mean over and over times like a million) with the release of this fantastic DVD.

There is a reason fans flocked to this show from all over the US...this band is full of energy, fun, talent and love. This wild band makes it easy to fall in love and get lost in the hypnotic sounds of party music. This is a must own DVD for long time fans and new fans alike! It will be sure to get you off of the couch and become part of 'The Wild Crowd' from the comfort of your home and even on the go! In no time you will be doing the shy tuna and hip o' crit around your living room, it feels like you are at a live show. You will get to reminisce while hearing classic B-52's songs like, "Rock Lobster" and "Whammy" and rock out to new hits like, "Funplex" and "Hot Corner". Filmed in what fans refer to as the mecca of Athens GA. at the historic Classic Center this is a party that is sure to please for generations to come. Let Cindy, Fred, Kate and Keith infiltrate your TV, Ipods, tablets and life with this amazing DVD of one outstanding show. Get "With The Wild Crowd" today....fall in love with 'The Worlds Greatest Party Band' like I did over 20 years ago. So come on this fantastic journey with 'The Wild Crowd' and Party Out of Bounds with The B-52's.

*Warning* Once you watch this DVD you will want to see a live show IMMEDIATELY! Go to [...] to get all the up-to-date tour dates and see them this summer. Once you get home you will suffer from PSD (post show distress) a cure that will be solved by watching this DVD:)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2012
The B-52's continue to bring the unique gift of cosmic love energy to their fans. After 66 fabulous concerts over the years, I still can't get enough of the World's Greatest Party Band !!! I was at this show in the first row and experienced the excitement of being "With the Wild Crowd" while my all-time favorite band performed one of their best shows ever. If you've never been to a B-52's concert...get to one!!!..this DVD will bring the fun and excitement into your home, great for parties, housecleaning...and of course, just having a really BIG FUN time. Be prepared to dance, sing along, and discover a side of yourself that really needs to just let go! Party Out of Bounds! Michael B - Palm Desert, CA
on March 1, 2012
This DVD is a lot of fun to listen to. It's not quite as much fun to watch, but the music is fantastic and the sound quality was great for a DVD. I listen to it at work on a Dell computer with Sony MDR-V150 headphones and it sounds great. There is a lot of energy coming from the songs on this DVD and you will find yourself tapping your feet a lot. If I were at home and wanted to listen to something fun over the home stereo, this would definitely find it's way into the entertainment system.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This live concert dvd of the B52's performing in their hometown of Athens, Georgia, during February of 2011 is 131 minutes of "PURE FUN". This is simply the B52's at their very best. This concert dvd certainly proves the B52's are the undisputed, "BEST PARTY BAND IN THE WORLD", period. The B52's are really "into it" and so is the huge, packed crowd, making this one fantastic concert dvd. Watching this live concert dvd is "almost like being there", but probably ever better, because of the close-ups, different camera angles and etc.

Along with the B52's, you also get additional backing musicians. B52 Band Members Kate, and Cindy are as lovely as ever. I noticed a sign in the crowd that stated "Ricky is Here". Ricky Wilson, the original guitarist for the B52's died from AIDS in 1985. He was Cindy's brother. It's was nice to see that he was remembered.

Since the Amazon Product Description does not list the songs, then I will. The songs are as follows:
1.Pump
12.Party Out of Bounds
13.Love in the Year 3000
14.Cosmic Thing
15.Hot Corner
16.Love Shack (Tin Roof RUSTED!!!!)
17.Wig
18.Stobe Light
19.Planet Claire
20.Rock Lobster

Also, you get a bonus Interview with the B52's. This is a very interesting interview, where Keith, Fred, Cindy & Kate recount a history of the band. Fred and Kate were from New Jersey, while Keith, Cindy and the late/great Ricky were from Athens, Georgia (home of The University of Georgia). Also, they recall Ricky's contribution to the band, especially the song "Rock Lobster".

The only shortcoming I could find, is that the 1992 hit "Good Stuff" was not included. However, this in only minor, the rest of the songs are more than good enough to make up for this.

The Bottom Line: This is the B52's after 34 years together, performing as only the "BEST PARTY BAND IN THE WORLD" can perform. BUY IT, YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!!
on March 31, 2012
If you're like me and never quite "got" Funplex even after several listens, this video will change your mind. Houston, we DEFINITELY have lift-off!

The material from Funplex really soars here. Songs that I barely noticed on their latest album have now become instant favorites. Case in point: "Dancing Now". I don't even REMEMBER that title! Now, it is one of my favorite songs!

That this release is long overdue goes without saying. Fortunately, "With the Wild Crowd" captures the band in top form at an Athens, GA venue that they are very clearly happy to be performing at. Every album except for the non-Cindy "Good Stuff" is represented here and, as much as I like their studio efforts, the live versions here are, almost without exception, far superior. The band lays down such a tight infectious groove that you can't help but wake up and really get into it. This band is VERY disciplined but they SOUND like they about to fly out of control at any moment! The groove holds the wackiness on stage into a very tight orbit with almost centrifigal force.

The vocal blend of Kate and Cindy is as good as anything I've heard since Michelle Phillips and Cass Eliot sang to the Papas way back in the mid-sixties. Keith's guitar-work is rhythmic and exciting; he samples perhaps the 2 greatest guitar riffs from the sixties (Satisfaction and Day Tripper) in two quite unexpected spots! And Fred! He has to be seen to be believed...like the "Ruler" from "Plan 9 From Outer Space" barking out non-sequiters in perfect time! The B-52's vocal attack is unique, bizarre and utterly sublime.

The editing is an unexpected gift. Ordinarily I can't stand music video editing. It's too frenetic, jumping around constantly from shot to shot, seemingly at random. Not so here. It's almost as if the video editor caught the groove switching from Kate to Keith to Cindy to Fred at JUST the right moment! There is a LOT to watch when the B-52s take the stage and the editors give you everything in just the right doses.

As the only post-sixties band to actually embrace psychedelia, the B-52s are truly a wonder to behold. There is not enough live material of this band available so this is a welome gift indeed. Copious thanks to the producers and the band for this absolutely superlative video!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I could have seen them live, once for about a hundred bucks a ticket not too long ago, but now I get to see essentially what they were on that recent tour for about sixteen bucks and I can see it over and over again. There's a lot of music here, and the sound quality is good, but it sort of makes me sad to see them now compared to what they were even ten or so years ago. That's life I suppose. I would have added another star if this DVD concert wasn't peppered with so much carp off their most recent "Funplex" release which I really don't like. The price is right, however, and the classics are here.

Now to drag my own over-50 body over to the treadmill,light up the monitor, and crank this thing up.