4.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY IF OVER $50!!
Great toy. Helps with coordination, counting, alphabet, etc. Bought this for my 1yr old and she still loves it at 2. Very entertaining when I reintroduce it to her as new. I got mine from target and it cost under $50. They are overcharging here on Amazon!!! My little one never got her hand stuck in this. (Hopefully she never will.)
Published on October 14, 2011 by Darla Doom

3.0 out of 5 stars Son's hand got stuck
Published on October 27, 2010 by Cahlein

4.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY IF OVER $50!!, October 14, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Our son's favorite toy by far!, June 1, 2010
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
Our 8-month-old son outgrew his favorite toy (the Fisher-Price Jumperoo) about a month ago. His increased mobility meant the Jumperoo felt more constricting than freeing, and we'd been having trouble finding a new toy to fill the void left in the Jumperoo's disuse. We stumbled across this on accident and bought it because it reminded us of several toys we'd loved in childhood, with the added bonus they were all rolled into one.

We cannot stress how much our son loves this toy. Each face has something different for him to explore. When he's finished with one side for the time being, he'll move around to other sides or the top to keep the amusement coming. Even as I type, he's busy banging closed the doors on one side of the cube.

The top is easily the best part for both us and our son. David's had a fabulous time using it not only to stand but to figure out, finally, how to fall into a sit. The day before yesterday, he literally giggled the whole time he practiced sitting for an hour. More practice yesterday and he's both a falling and a sitting pro. Note, as another reviewer mentioned, you DO have to sit close by, because the wrong lean *can* lead it to tip for a not-yet-autonomous stander. This happens in maybe a quarter - probably a high estimate - of our son's stands so far.

Then there's all the fun in pushing the top toys along their preset paths along the top. The bridges encourages him to figure out movement under and on both sides of each bridge. This is in addition to watching him explore both pushing animals (and beads!) along their path and figuring out how to rotate them in circles where they stand.

We're amazed how much fun and challenge can be fit into one single cube. This is beautifully designed, aesthetically pleasing, free from sharp corners and overall an amazing toy. We're honestly trying to think who else we can buy one of these for! The temptation is rather strong to just play with it ourselves.

If only we'd had this as children! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Son's hand got stuck, October 27, 2010
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
Parental supervision required AT ALL TIMES! It appears that there are different configurations of this toy. I got the version which has a side with nine triangular rotating blocks (three animals on each vertical set while the horizontal blocks have different the animal's head, body, and feet). The first time my 1 y.o son played with it, he got his hands stuck in between these blocks. B zany really should make the blocks larger or add bars to block these gaps. Other than that I think this toy is very educational and great for developing fine motor skills, parents please watch your children with this toy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop looking. This is the best play cube at the best price., November 11, 2013
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
This play cube is the most similar to the ALEX Busy Town one. My 10 month old loved to play with her cousins that I bought for his 1st birthday. He loved it then, even more than all of the motorized, light up, noisy gifts he received that day. Now his baby sister and my daughter who are the same age have been playing with it since they could sit unsupported; from 6 months and from 8 1/2 months. I am not exaggerating when I say they have been entertained for a full hour. For those of you with infants, that is an ETERNITY. So I bought this version for my house because after much research it was the most similar to what I was looking for at the best price. I paid $49.99 at Target. This brand has a few things that I think make it better than the other similar blocks. The edges are smoothed down more. Now, please understand that if a child falls face first into a large wooden block they will cry. This is why they need to be able to sit before using this toy. Other than that, for those of you complaining please put your child in a bubble until they are 18. Kids crash. It's part of life. Secondly, this block has animals on the top that wind through something of a maze, in addition to the wires with beads. One side has the alphabet with spinning blocks and the names of animals, another side has doors with animals under them. My 2 year old nephew was trying to teach the babies "open" and "close" with the doors! Another side has spinning cylinders, and the last size has blocks that can wind up to the top and spin back down. Great product, great value. Do yourself a favor and add it to your shopping cart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, sturdy, activity cube, June 4, 2014
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
I bought for my 11 month old and wish I had got sooner. I never thought of these until doc office and library, which had them. It's really a great toy start when your child can sit up (assuming you watch them). They note 1 year and above, but probably don't want wobbly kids falling onto it, etc. Just use your judgment. My daughter was super strong and sitting up fairly early so 6 months would have been fine for her. And maybe some kids might play with a side while seated in a Bumbo seat at first, so no falling forward onto it.

I came home and began reading reviews on Amazon on the various activity cubes when I decided to get one. Many were very pricey and not the greatest reviews. I went to Toys R Us and Target to see them in person. This one was said to be at Target at Christmas 2013 but I didn't see them at my store, though Target had it on their website. Toys R Us only had an Imaginarium one for about $50 and it was low quality - lots of cheap plastic and the sides were not exciting or well made.

I very luckily got this used from a mom's group and it was a real steal at $25 as her kids didn't use (someone gave to them at 2 yrs old when they were really too old for it). Very sturdy and thick wood and very little plastic. Open/close doors are nice as are other sides. Some I've seen complain about quality on this one, but I think it is very good and I am a picky mom that buys organic toys and mainly wood toys from Haba, Plan Toys, or other European companies. I pretty much hate everything at Toys R Us (a plastic toxic mecca with things that break easily and fill our landfills). This will definitely get passed along after we use... a multi-child and multi family toy.

And as for the letter tiles, yes, I think a hand could get caught (another critic brought up). But I'm not concerned about it. Children should never be unattended. If my daughter got her hand caught in it, it might scare her. I don't think she could really hurt herself with me nearby watching. This is basically a toy I put on the floor and it entertains her for 15 or so minutes and I can cook dinner or wash dishes. You can move around too, so I can take into another room and fold clothes, etc.

The beauty is no cleanup or lost parts. I now see why doc offices have these. One of the main reasons I wanted this was for her upcoming 1st birthday party. Great toy to have at the party for kids to play with. I was recently at a neighborhood potluck party and the parent brought this out and the babies and toddlers were all over it... outside on the lawn with the picnic. I repeat: no lost parts! Much better than bringing out a zillion toys and hoping not lost, etc. I can sometimes barely keep up with my daughter's stacking toys and it's just her! I will probably keep when she outgrows it as it is so good for guests with young kids. I can keep this one toy and pull out at any BBQs or parties with young kids. And you'll notice at parties, even kids a bit older will play with it too (whereas at home they may have grown out having other options).

I do think it's worth $50. And if I had not found used, I probably would have paid more. It's high here at around $90 + shipping. Keep checking back. Amazon changes it's pricing all the time. Suddenly I see it at $63 now after being almost $100. And Target has it online for $59.99 right now - I wasn't able to find it in stores.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality toy with lots to entertain, June 1, 2010
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
We bought this for my daughter when she was about nine months old. In the beginning, she was mainly interested in spinning the animal alphabet tiles, but as she grows she keeps discovering more and more things to play with. Right now, she really likes the animal pegs on one of the sides that's not pictured--hard to describe, but they're kind of like Plinko. She also loves opening and closing the doors on another side, and she's just starting to spend time playing with the bead maze and the animals on top. I can see this toy holding her interest for several months.

I like that this toy is made of wood and is very sturdy. She hasn't had any difficulty pulling herself up on it (though she is a bit of string bean, so this may change as she gets bigger), and the rounded corners are safer than sharp edges. It's also very bright and colorful, and the animal alphabet is pretty creative. (For example, N = narwhal.) Compared to identical activity cubes (same toy, different color scheme) that cost significantly more, I think this toy is a great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely worth buying!, November 12, 2010
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
My 9 month old daughter has been playing with this for two months & she loves it- it is her favorite toy and I anticipate that she will likely love to play with it for the next few years. Very well made, but my daughter also had her hand caught between the 3 split animals that spin, on one side of the cube, for just a minute. Not a big deal, as I never leave her unsupervised, and she wasn't hurt (just surprised) but just something to be aware of . I wish it were mounted on a solid base that allowed it to spin. I will likely have a carpenter friend mount it on a solid wooden base and have him figure out a way for it to rotate, like a Lazy Susan- so she can just turn the cube when she wants to reach or play with another side, instead of having to pull at it, or pull herself around to the other side (she hasn't mastered walking quite yet)- that will make it perfect. It is the best price at Target, at [...]. I saw it selling for up to [...] at other online stores. AAA+

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first sight!, May 17, 2011
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
My 10 mo daughter LOVES this toy cube. She's not the most easily entertained baby (she'll never make it into a YouTube video squealing with delight over ripped paper or a sneeze, for example), but this thing made her giggle and jump up and down from the moment it hit the floor (in the box, no less). Her favorite thing to do (since she was 2 or 3 months old) is to stand and this toy is perfect for her to stand and play at the same time. She's just starting to stand unassisted and I really think this will help her gain confidence.

She loves the beads on top (and the little animals), but her favorite thing to do is to open and close the doors on one of the sides of the toy. She loves the toy and I love watching her love it!

I'm not a huge fan of the earthy colors, but it is still a very attractive toy. Ours seems very well constructed and I expect it to last for years and years -- long enough for us to store it away to give to our daughter for her kids, I bet. I don't doubt some folks have had some quality issues, but the one we have looks about as good as I could hope for a toy to look.

One of my favorite features of this thing is the rounded corners on the top of the cube as well as on the doors. No toy is perfectly safe, but this one looks like it is designed with some care and attention to detail.

4.0 out of 5 stars OVERPRICED!, December 19, 2012
Gym Wench (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
This is completely my fault for not price-checking other websites, but I was behind on Christmas and just wanted to get it all from the same place for ease. Imagine my disappointment when I see this exact toy listed on Target's website for $59.27. That's a $30 difference! As a mom shopping on an extremely tight budget, I am trying to get the most for my money. In the past, that has always been Amazon. Lesson learned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my Busy Toddler Son!, October 21, 2012
This review is from: B. Zany Zoo (Toy)
My 18 months old toddler son enjoys this activity Zany Zoo cube! I have to say..I do too. This activity cube keeps my on-the-go boy so interested that he hardly plays with other toys since I've bought this (less cleaning up). He loves the Alphabet side of it and constantly points and turns the letters while trying to pronounce them (and he tries and does well with some!). I cannot believe how long it keeps his attention and I enjoy being able to sit down with him and go over colors, letters, and animals with him. The cube is very sturdy and has bright colors that keeps a little one engaged so I definitely recommend this. On another note, I bought this from Target at a cheaper price than listed here ($60). Also, I had to return and exchange the first Zany Zoo that I purchased because somehow the two Alphabet letters "O" and "P" were in wrong sequence, with the "P" being coming before the "O". Luckily I exchanged it without incident..but my advice is check your letters of the Alphabet and make sure that they are in correct sequence. Great product and very educational!!

B. Zany Zoo