5.0 out of 5 stars Only Audiophiles Need Apply,...
So here goes, the first review I have written for ANYTHING!

Published on January 27, 2012 by NOMAD7

3.0 out of 5 stars not so good warranty
yes these buds do what everyone says they do. yes they do ... did i say they are great. great sound, bit bright and could use some more base but great sound great.
BUT i had them month and the cords came apart in an accident pulling the wires. and guess what ... that is not covered in the warranty
so that is useless. these buds are really delicate and not...
Published on March 2, 2012 by C. lindsay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Audiophiles Need Apply,..., January 27, 2012
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
So here goes, the first review I have written for ANYTHING!

I became recently frustrated by a free pair of BlackBerry Headphones (came with Bold purchase over 4 years ago, now cheaper phones are supplied) starting to short at the plug and decided to get an inexpensive pair of headphones w/mic for my iPhone 4 (I spend a considerable time on phone for work, family, life and wanted a non BT headset since I have BT system in my car). Thinking I could get a pair to do double-duty I decided to purchase an iPhone ready headset w/mic and volume controls and had been looking for something other than Bang & Olufsen since I already had a pair I purchased about three years ago for fitness and travel (A8 headset without mic and 3 button control).

Well, after trying a pair of VModas (which were on sale at Costco for $38) I realized I had probably grown accustomed to higher fidelity headphones (though the free BlackBerry sets certainly sounded great for the price). After immediately returning the VModas, I rationalized that I would just need to spend the $$$ for higher quality headphones. Next stop, the Apple store to get recommendations. I then decided to purchase the B&W C5's ($179) based in part on owning a mid-level B&W outfitted home theatre speaker setup. Good, almost great, sound. However, I was not convinced that they would hold up to use for fitness (since I would use this pair in case my other Bang & Olufsen set were left in car, at home, travel bag, etc.). After working out with the C5's I returned them since I ended up getting a few shocks from the ear buds while using them during a low-key workout where I didn't sweat much (read about this in C5's reviews but didn't believe the reviewers). I really wanted to like this set but eventually gave in to their shortcomings and decided to return this second set of headphones I tried within a month.

This brings me to my purchase and appreciation of the Bang & Olufsen EarSet 3i. Having previously been impressed by the stability, comfort and rock solid build of the previous model I own (A8's), I thought to revisit the version of headset I was familiar with, only this time with 3 button control and mic. This model not only has advanced 3 button functions (e.g. you can actually rewind/ffwd instead of just skipping to next/previous track; you can take a second call when already on phone, etc.), it actually sounds BETTER than the A8's. Though the design is almost identical, somehow the sound has even more clarity, better dynamic response, accurate tight bass (maybe newer driver design). The audio reproduction is impressive! Since I have never had an issue with my A8's, I expect that these will hold up at least as well. Although, these headphones are probably not for those that just want boomy bass, audiophiles will be pleased! (As a side note, my playlists include rap, r&b, jazz, funk, classical, just not too much country western.)

If you purchase, look forward to enjoying, rock-solid craftsmanship, three button control that puts iPod functions at your fingertips, GREAT audio sound and the thought that in this range, there is likely no comparison! I wished I hadn't wasted time comparison shopping but believe it confirms that this was a sound purchase (no pun intended, really). Now, anyone want to purchase a set of used A8's,...

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a great design for active people..., April 17, 2013
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
Everyone can talk about all of the other aspects but my main purpose for purchase was the simple need for a comfortable earset that would not fall off. I like to wear them bicycling and the in-ear-channel designs have never been comfortable and the earbuds constantly fall out. These stay in place and can be quickly swung out to allow complete hearing of surroundings. The fact that they are capable of high quality sound while incorporating a great noise-cancelling mic is icing on the cake. Also, they don't seem to be a big impediment to wearing sunglasses unless you have thick frame arms. The typical Oakley minimalist sunglasses work great in combination with these earsets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Earbuds, Ever!, May 28, 2011
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
The first reason I really like to spend the extra money for B&O earbud headphones is the sound quality. Nothing I've heard comes even close to the voice and instrumental reproduction of this particular brandEarSet 3i (Black).

The second reason is the three year warranty. They'll replace them *any* time they fail during that period. And as the cord isn't the sturdiest, the replacement policy really adds value to the purchase.

After buying the Earset 3 last September when I finally got the iPhone 4, they just didn't seem quite as good as the phones for the iPod. The bottom was slightly heavy on the bass, and the top was slightly thin with a notable hiss, with a very weak middle. I took them back when the cord failed, and while the replacement pair was better, it still wasn't up to par, although better than just about everything else I heard. But the microphone kept cutting out, and when the left channel failed, I went back to the store again.

Alas, they were out--on backorder--and I waited five weeks with some tense telephone conversations with annoying twenty-somethings unable to disguise either their exasperation at a simple question... or the self-help psycho-babble. (When I didn't received the promised phone call a week after they had received a shipment, I asked when this was supposed to happen. The answer: "Well, now you know they are here, and that's the first step toward your goal of getting what you want." Seriously.)

The new Earset 3i earbuds are so worth enduring that wait: absolute ear-crack, cut with with audio-codone, and far above and beyond even anything I've heard in earbuds, including the previous B&Os. These are, in my opinion, close to good headphones, which is saying something for earbuds.

And the design continues to be great, with the same wrap-around hooks allowing the buds to rest on the canals without having to push them in. I either can't do or don't like any inserts. There is a new controller that now includes volume as well as forward-and-back playlist selection.

I emphatically recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars not so good warranty, March 2, 2012
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
so that is useless. these buds are really delicate and not usable out in a modern world. if you want to sit at home and protect them
you are ok but otherwise they wont stand the test of normal usage

but they sound great

5.0 out of 5 stars purely opinion, October 6, 2012
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
Between myself and my significant other, we've owned 7 pairs of A8 headphones in 8 years. The 3i is the A8 headphone with a remote/mic and a few other changes. 7 pairs in 8 years? I don't kid glove electronics or abuse them, different bits would fail but B&O was decent about it, paid probably for 3 pairs total w/ warranty and good will -- over 8 years for 2 people, that's a win.

They sound great and fit great, there's better in-ear and over-ear but for a suspended earbud, it's unique with no ear fatigue wearing them 8+ hours. Gives a good sense of external sounds with good audio playback, not a ton of bass but it's there.

The 3i's vs the A8s --
long mic, not huge but a 2" long bulge on the wire.
no leather hard case, just a canvas bag
same drivers I assume
no extension cord
center button works with Android
volume buttons are ONLY Apple, no app can fix that
behind ear plastic feels slicker, but that could just be wear on the A8s

A nice headphone, slightly surprised by the bulk of the mic, 2 of the 3 buttons won't work with anything but iOS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound like heaven. I love it so much., December 24, 2012
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
I love it's sound very much. I have had tried many brand name headsets until my husband suggest me to use this one.
I use it while I am walking on the street, while I am working in front of computer and while I am on the train etc.
I have small ear so it quite hurt at the beginning but it's ok now because my ear get used to it. Love it so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds and Design are awesome, June 21, 2013
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
Have been using B&O equipment for years (Beosound, Beolab, Beomaster, telephone, even a TV) and these headsets are great (the mike for phone calls works also very well). Great purchase which I highly recommend to everyone.

I even caught the wire a few times on something and rather than ripping the wire, the behind-the-ear arm releases to ensure that the unit does not break.

I also use it on my noisy bike under the helmet and even at highway speeds, the sounds are still very good (do not tell anyone about this "unapproved use").

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ear set, December 18, 2011
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
I have used these in past aswell. I love the sound from the B&O ear sets. At the same time with the ear support they are perfect for jogging as there is close to no risk that they will fall out of your ears. They are not exactly noise canceling, but very convenient to wear even for extended periods of time such as a transcontinental flight. The sound quality for playback of music is excellent and for cell phones you get good quality voice with the microphone built into the volume control. Great built quality. I have used the earphones for several months and they are still good as new.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, December 17, 2012
This review is from: EarSet 3i (Black) (Electronics)
you can't beat the sound quality... with the exception of the hand controller/microphone the manufactured quality is excellent. regarding he controller/microphone, the "click" in the main button broke. it still functions with some excessive force but i miss the ease of the click...

4.0 out of 5 stars best earhook style headphones I've found, December 16, 2012
MarkB (Santa Cruz, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Great sound.
Very sturdy.
Very expensive.
Would've rated 5 stars but I believe they do not work correctly with Apple's iPod Radio device for iPod Classics.
Would buy again.