Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: No B.S. Guide to Brand-Building by Direct Response: The Ultimate No Holds Barred Plan to Creating and Profiting from a Powerful Brand Without Buying It
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on May 1, 2014
I've a small library of No BS books here, and refer to them often. This one, to me, falls flat. It's harder to read, and in many areas it seems a promotional piece for the websites. By chapter 7 I was wondering how any of it would apply to me at all. There was some nuggets gleaned, but it didn't leave me with the "I can do this!" or inspiring ideas that many of the other books did.

That said, it wasn't *bad* - but seemed to refer to other books, as well as the websites, often enough that I caught myself wondering if I should just buy that book. Does it have useful information? Yes, and worth a look for that reason. But compared to the other BS books I have, this one just falls short.

In full disclosure I read my copy from NetGalley, but I don't think reading with a notebook for notes would change my perception. It just didn't seem to 'flow' as easily and was too difficult to pick back up - needed for motivation and using the information. Good book to glean from, but not in comparison to other works in my opinion.
on April 13, 2014
Anyone who is even just a tad serious about business, marketing and/or sales seriously needs to read every book available from Dan S. Kennedy. As always, Dan gets right to the point with his amazing insights and experience. If blowing wads of money to brand your business is part of your existing thought process, reading this book will save you tons of money and years of pain. Dan is the real deal and he tells it like it is. I should live long enough to be just a fraction as smart as Dan Kennedy is about business, sales and marketing. Read this book!
on August 17, 2014
There are really two ways to read a Dan S. Kennedy book, sitting passively in a comfy chair/lying in bed, in which case, only a few bits of his voluminous wisdom will stick in your brain, or actively reading it, which means an open laptop to immediately check out resources and a ruled legal pad on which to take notes for what actions you're going to take as a result of his information. To me, this book is a bit of a departure from his typical NO B.S. books, because it's less about the usual direct response marketing and related tactics, but more of a "Kennedy 301" - a 30,000 foot view of company, brand, the life cycle of business, and how to handle the success you can create by reading and acting on his other No B.S. books. And, of course, the book essentially practices what it preaches, for Kennedy, and the nice cross segment of businesses he uses to illustrate his points. I have to laugh at some of the poor reviews listed here - clearly people who don't "get it". That said, I'd say this book is for people who have achieved some measure of success as well as an understanding for the other direct response things he teaches. It's probably not the best introduction to Kennedy, but it certainly makes a lot of things fall into place in regards to overall business building strategy for those whose businesses have survived past infancy. Great work, as usual.

Todd Smith, author of "The Adventure Consultant"
www.TheAdventureConsultant.com
on April 12, 2015
I've bought a number of Dan Kennedy's books. Most are at least fairly good. This one, however, simply doesn't deliver. There is even a chapter written by an ad agency person touting the reasons you need an ad agency to build your brand.

Obviously that contradicts the book's title. And then there are several chapters written by a guy who started a fitness center and how he built its brand. That was so specific that it isn't of much value to building the brand of a normal business.

I think Mr. Kennedy has run out of steam.
on March 18, 2016
Dan's books are spot on. If you are a small business paying attention to any of Dan's books can take you to the next level. Don't waste your money on pay for name recognition style advertising. Switch to direct response where you can monitor every dollar spent for ROI and you are going to be much happier. Each book in his series hits a different aspect of this style of marketing. They are inexpensive, loaded with valuable tips and resources. Highly Recommend
on May 1, 2014
Fair warning. I'm a Dan Kennedy and GKIC fan. I've been a GKIC Gold Member for many years. I own a number of Dan Kennedy/GKIC books and products. I'm very familiar with Dan's technique of having some of his clients write chapters in his No B.S. books. I don't mind it and I think it worked very well with this book as well.

The Iron Tribe Guys did a *great* job of describing how they built their brand and Dan gives some behind the scenes looks at how he's used brand building to build his own brand and the GKIC brand. This book also caused me to think seriously about some products and markets I'm going to get into very soon.

Quite simply, if you're at all interested in marketing and/or brand building you should buy this book.

Rick
on June 16, 2015
get this book... its not about branding... its getting customers to understand what you stand for and then stand up for it.
you can't win by doing what the big boys are doing...you don't have millions of dollars of others people money to burn.
if you play the big boys game in advertising...just start burning your money and close your doors... because your playing a loser game
on July 28, 2015
Okay - for anyone who is familiar with Dan Kennedy - you can expect the promotions, name-dropping, direction to websites, sales pitches etc! That is who he is, what he does, and what he teaches. So look past that and see the value that this book offers. I don't want to see one more review out there that mentions ANYTHING about cross promotion, pitches etc in this book. Shape it up people and get your expectations right.

This is classic Kennedy. Personally, I was hoping he would take a competitor from MY industry and reveal 25% of their super successful plan, lay out the step-by-step instructions with stats, costs, ROI - too bad for me I am not in the fitness industry. Regardless, this book is filled with great direction, information and steps to follow and I might just open a gym this afternoon because of this book. I read it, underlined, marked pages and have gone through it maybe 4-5 times and each time I flip through it I see something new OR make a connection about how this translates to my current business. Totally love it. Even though Dan didn't write all of it...it's just that good!
Good for Forrest and Jim that they implemented the plan and had great results.
on April 7, 2014
I wish I would have had this book years ago, oh the mistakes I made. A no nonsense, put your ego aside and build your brand from the customer up program. Mr. Kennedy teaches that you should focus on the 'right now' customers not the somedays ones. Get the foundation let it speak for itself, that is the rock solid way to build a brand that lasts. We all want to see our pretty logo posted all over, to have people recognize us by our brand, but that needs to be earned not bought to last. Referrals will keep you moving forward. There are simple workable steps included.
on May 11, 2014
I'm disappointed because I bought the book based on his claim of "Make your brand about a movement". Very disappointed this was finally addressed on page 199. Overall, a few good nuggets here and there. But the book would literally be half the length if not for all the name dropping and self-promotion. Aside from the peppering of run-on sentences, the book is written rather poorly in many areas causing the reader to continually go back and reread. Not quite sure why this was even necessary, but you'll find a distinctly politically right-wing perspective.