4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could have been so much better
Published on October 6, 2005 by LeftManOut

3.0 out of 5 stars BEST BAND EVER, but there's a reason these tracks weren't released
I have to say, Deftones is one of my favorite bands EVER. No one can do what they do. They defy all the rules of rock and come out with something totally unique every time they pick up their instruments. However, I was highly dissappointed with the CD part of this compilation. I WILL ADMIT THAT I AM BIASED, HOWEVER. The Cure, The Smiths, and Duran Duran are not my...
Published on January 23, 2006 by James K. Pagel

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could have been so much better, October 6, 2005
LeftManOut (TheCityThatNeverSleeps, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
And I say that statement with some pain. It really hurts me to give a Deftones release less than 5 stars, but their newest collection of B-Sides and Rarities is just one of those releases that had so much potential, and in my mind fell short of what the goal was. Not that there is much about the release that is bad, indeed this is a fine collection of songs if you are any kind of Deftones fan, but it's definitely lacking as to what it could have been. A lot of key songs are missing, and the pace/mode of the cd seems to be more centered on slower, moodier pieces, and lacking the balance that most Deftones releases seem to have. It's just one of those instances when your hopes are extremely high, and in the end you wind up getting dissapointed.

To begin the song selection seems odd to me. It's not that any of the songs are bad, just most are stuff we've already heard, or are just different versions of old songs. The "Digital Bath", "Change In The House of Flies" and "Be Quiet And Drive" acoustics, while good, have been heard by most fans. The "Teenager" remix isn't really that special or different from the original. Most of the good songs featured on here are cover songs. "Simple Man" and "No Ordinary Love" are Leonard Skynard covers. "The Chauffer" is an excellent Duran Duran cover. While we do get some cover songs, we get a couple of originals in "Crenshaw" and "Black Moon", however neither compares to the rarities that weren't placed on here. Which is why after listening to the cd, I'm still left with the question, "Where's the stuff we wanted to hear?" Foolishly left off the cd is "Teething", perhaps one of the best Deftones songs around (which appeared on the Crow City of Angels Soundtrack). "I Can Barely Breathe" (Escape from LA soundtrack) was also left off. I don't really understand the choice behind this because I guarantee most fans don't own those soundtracks, and this would have been a great place to put them. Songs which are mysteriously absent from the cd are :

"Teething" (The Crow: City of Angels Soundtrack)
"I Can Barely Breathe" (Escape From LA Soundtrack)
"Lovers" (B-side from Self Titled, appeared on "Hexagram" import)
"Boys Republic" (Only on the special edition of "White Pony")
"To Have And To Hold" (Depeche Mode Cover, amazing)
"South Of Heaven" (Slayer cover, also amazing)
"Venison" (Original Deftones demo song, really good and is floating around on the net)

The DVD portion though thankfully saves the cd from total failure. We finally get all the Deftones Videos in one place (although I'm still forced to ask, where's the video for "Teething"?). It's nice if you haven't seen any of them, and there's also a never before seen video of "Root" on here. Coming along with the videos is some live and behind the scenes footage as well, which is well worth the purchase of the cd since there hasn't been a decent Deftones DVD released yet. The booklet that comes with the cd is also very cool, mainly because it's a 24 page piece of history which includes linear notes from the band. Pretty neat if you don't know much about them. Another thing I like about the cd is that they went back to the cd design pattern featured on "Adrenaline" and "Around The Fur", which makes it feel like old times. Hey that can make all the difference.

Overall the cd is a good buy if you're a hardcore Deftones fan, but it's definitely lacking like mentioned in previous reviews. I find most of the songs on here to be moody, atmospheric pieces. There's not a lot of heavy ones which is kind of dissapointing. That's why I feel this cd could have benefitted from adding songs like "Teething." Overall though I can't complain much about the cd. It's still great Deftones music, and a great opportunity to hear a lot of rare tracks if you haven't run across them before on an import or the interent or something. I'd say this is only essential to the most dedicated Deftones fans. If you're a casual fan, I don't see this cd offering you much, and that is a good reason to skip it. Still I guess this will hold me over until the Deftones unleash their next studio effort on us.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Deftones Attempt To Appease Their Fans, October 10, 2005
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
"Well it's about damn time"

That was the the first thought that popped into my head when I found out the Deftones would be releasing a CD/DVD set of unreleased material and music videos. There are so many great, hard to find Deftones classics out there, it's high time some of them were presented in proper form to the public! "B-Sides & Rarities" comes at a good time, as we are still waiting for the fifth Deftones album (which keeps getting pushed back into oblivion). Along with Team Sleep's debut earlier this year, this set provides a nice placeholder for the new album. Something to keep us occupied until new music presents itself.

Right off the bat, any Deftones fan who has spent time on the 'net downloading bootlegs and b-sides (or even buying those pricey imports) will tell you how much excellent material is missing. For starters, none of the group's original demos (of which, there are many) are included. One of the best demos, "Like Linus" would have fit in perfectly. Likewise, Charlie Clouser's rare remix of "My Own Summer (Shove It)" would have been great as well. But complaints aside, let's talk about what is actually on here. The CD is comprised of 14 tracks, mostly cover songs or acoustic versions of Deftones' classics. There are quite a few choice covers that show the obvious influences (i.e. The Cure, Helmet, Duran Duran) and a few totally bizarre, left-field choices as well. The one song that sticks out like a sore-thumb would be their cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man." Musically, they nail the song, and make it their own. But unfortunately, Chino's vocal performance is rather uninspired, as he shows little to no emotion while singing a very sentimental song (reportedly, Chino didn't dig the song until after they recorded it). "No Oridnary Love" stands as one of the best covers they have done to date (a Sade cover) and also appeared on the "Change (In The House Of Flies)" single. This marks the first of four, count 'em, four collaborations on this disc with Jonah Matranga (of Far/Gratitude fame). The acoustic versions are all superb. I've had the acoustics of "Change" and "Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)" for quite some time, but the inclusion of "Digital Bath" (one of my favorite songs) was especially appreciated, and well performed. I was a little disappointed in "Black Moon" and "Teenager (Idiot Pilot Version)." The former features B-Real of Cypress Hill, which could be a good thing, as they are one of the best hip-hop acts still around. But the song, unfortunately, carries absolutely no stamp of the Deftones. It's basically a Cypress Hill song, produced by Chino. The latter is Chino collaborating with a group by the name of Idiot Pilot for a reworking of "Teenager." This version sounds flat when compared to the "White Pony" version, and makes you wonder why they even bothered.

The DVD contains every music video the Deftones have done to date (even though that rare "Around The Fur" video still eludes us). All the classics like "My Own Summer (Shove It)" and "Change (In The House Of Flies)" are here, along with some lesser-known videos. For example, I didn't know "Bloody Cape" even had a video! And quite an entertaining one, at that. The videos for "Engine No. 9" and "Root" are, as expected, low budget montages of live footage. In between videos, various interview and live-clips pop-up, but unfortunately, don't amount to much. The highlights being Chino's reworking of Eminem's "Kill You" performed live, and Shavo from System Of A Down sharing an amusing anecdote about confusing the Deftones for Korn (all about the dreadlocks).

Obviously, much more could have been done with this compilation, which is why it only gets 4-stars. They have such an enormous library of unreleased music, it seems criminal that the CD portion is only 14 tracks long. Also, the fact that the DVD is mainly just music videos is kinda boring as well. What about some (complete) live performances or behind the scenes footage? Making of albums? I guess you just gotta take what you got. As it is, "B-Sides & Rarities" is a welcome addition to the collection of any Deftones fan. The packaging is great, with in-depth liner notes talking about each song and their origins. I only recommend this disc to those who have immersed themselves completely in the Deftones' four albums. Otherwise, the material on here may be hard to swallow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but deffinetly lacking, October 4, 2005
Jon (Bloomington, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
First off, I want to point out the positives of this release, because it does have a few. Not concerning the songs themselves, but that casing is amazing. It comes in an extremely well done hardback book, with the CD being on the back of the cover when you open it, and the DVD being on the inside of the back....all with great photos and liner notes from the band being on the pages between. I also thorougly LOVE the fact that they finally brought back the fuzzy dandelion disc art that we all know from the Adrenaline and Around The Fur discs. I wish they would have stuck with this on the White Pony and Self Titled discs. But anyways, as far as positive ends from the music...The Chauffeur. This has always been one of my favorite deftones tracks. Its also very nice to have official releases of some of the tracks, considering the quality one gets from finding tracks online isnt always that great. Its also extremely sweet to have every single deftones video on one dvd, that deffinetly satisfies the anal b*#^@rd in me.

But, the biggest nit pick I have with this is the music itself. Not that I wish any of these songs werent present, I just want more. It also saddens me that they left out some of their best B-sides. This disc is not so much a rarities and b-sides as it is a "Covers and Remixes" album. I have been looking forward to a deftones b-sides for years. In fact, I made one myself awhile ago. But I was looking forward to the official release, with consistent mixing and production...and because some of my favorite tracks are missing its a dissapointment. The most noteable tracks absent are "Teething" (one of the best deftones tracks ever, better than most of their album tracks) and (like everyone else has already said) "To Have And To Hold." These are not only good for b-sides, but are STELLAR deftones gems that deserve an official release from the band themselves, not to be left for some crappy movie soundtrack or covers album. These are fan and personal favorites that really stand out in the deftones catalogue and their absence truly hinders this release. I think any fan would be with me 100% on this.

Here is a list of tracks that should have seen this release (not only are they better than most of the tracks that made the cd, but some are heavier more "deftones" tracks that would have put more excitement and devirsity into the disc):

- Teething (one of best deftones songs ever)

- To Have And To Hold (another best ever)

- Can't Even Breathe (good track, please for the love of god save it from the "escape from l.a. soundtrack")

- Answers

- Damone (would be nice to have this song more accessable than after 30 minutes of fastforwarding after "Around The Fur")

- Say It Ain't So

- The Boys Republic (not everyone has the special white pony, so this also would have been choice for this release)

I was actually expecting all of the above tracks to make it onto this release, so it's deffinetly a let down. It is still worth buyin if you are a huge fan. Let's just hope for another, and better, B-sides disc in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good album for a real deftones fan, April 30, 2006
bp2626 (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
I really enjoy this album. A lot of the covers are from bands I also listen to and the album has a calm fluid sound. Some of the slower and acoustic tracks are great. For me personally the track "Black Moon" doesn't exactly fit, but not a bad track.

Probably not for your every day listener, but deftones fans will appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mind-boggling display of versatility, February 5, 2006
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
I notice that many reviewers have expressed disappointment with this collection, commenting that it was less than they expected. For me, it's the opposite: this CD was much, much MORE than I expected. This disc is quite an achievement, as the 'Tones draw from various genres and influences--many of them unexpected--creating a collection that literally offers something for almost everyone. The DVD is perfect, as others have noted already. For me the highlight is "Minerva" with its middle-of-nowhere desert setting.

Let's get to the CD review:

Best Songs

-"Simple Man" (Skynyrd Cover) One of my all-time favorites, and I'd have never expected to hear the Deftones cover it. They stay true to the original and the solo is scorching.

-"If Only Tonight We Could Sleep" (Cure Cover) The liner notes describe how the 'Tones were hesitant to play this live with the Cure in attendance. They had nothing to worry about.

-"Savory" (Jawbox Cover) Interesting to hear someone besides Chino sing lead on a Deftones song. This is a jam session with members of Far (another Sacto band). A great opener for the album.

-"Please Please Please (Let Me Get What I Want)" (Smiths Cover): I have to admit I've never heard the original, but this is great stuff...reminds me of "Boys Republic" from White Pony.

-"The Chauffeur" (Duran Duran Cover): Way better than the original.

-Acoustic Versions of "Change, Be Quiet and Drive", and "Digital Bath". I bought the "Music In High Places-Deftones in Hawaii" video just to hear acoustic versions of Deftones songs. All 3 of these are gems.

-"Black Moon": I don't like Rap. I love "Black Moon", though.

All of the other tracks are worthwhile. The covers of Cocteau Twins and Sade, "Wax and Wane" and "No Ordinary Love", are extremely well done, just not what I buy a Deftones CD to hear.

Really, the only two tracks I don't LOVE are "Crenshaw Punch" and "Sinatra"...these are the hardest tracks on the disc, but they both seem to lack focus/direction. I've never really liked Helmet, anyway, so that probably explains it.

I love this disc. The Deftones blew me away with their versatility on this collection. This will help fill the void until Tool's new album comes out this spring. And shortly after that, hopefully there will be a new Deftones CD in the offing.

5.0 out of 5 stars YES!, February 8, 2006
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
First of all, I watched the DVD about 10 times. I love it... I just wish there was more. But not in a way that leaves me feeling unsatisfied but in a "I just can't get enough of the Deftones" way. All their vids are on there plus some goofing around behind the scenes sillyness which are my favorite parts.

Second, if you're a HUGE 'Tones fan, you'll love the album just as much as the DVD. If you like the 'Tones but aren't completely insane about them than you might (might being the key word) not dig this album since it doesn't really have the type of sound the Deftones are known for. It's a little more mellow than what one would expect from these guys.

I love having this in my collection for a few reasons: One, I'm a tried and true, die hard Deftones fan. Two, it proves quite well that they can totally pull off covering songs that aren't their typical "style" and three, it's just a good cd that I don't get tired of listening to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection of Songs and Videos, October 28, 2005
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
I've been waiting so long for this release. Finally we have all the videos in a crystal clear format that are official and not downloaded or burned. The videos are nice and have an epic, dark, moody and emotional atmoshere. I do wish that they had more behind the scenes kind of stuff and some live performances, but it's all good.

The cd is great and has some real gems. The only song that kind of gets on my nerves is the Teenager song that has the singer from Idiot Pilot singing with Chino.Don't get me wrong, the guitar is nice and Chino is awesome but that guy from Idiot Pilot totally murders the song. It wouldn't be as bad if he hit the same notes as Chino did in the original version, but instead of singing the original way he sings higher and it just sounds strange. He's not a terrible singer, it's just that the notes are wrong and that's why it makes me cringe to listen to the Idiot Pilot singer on the track.

Don't let that discourage you from purchasing though , because the cd really does contain some awesome songs. My favorites would have to be Simple Man, Change, Be Quite and Drive, If Only Tonight We could Sleep, Savory, and Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

The cover of the Cure's "If Only Tonight We Could Sleep" is great and better than the original. It is a live version and still sounds great, but I really hope they record it in a studio and release it.I think it's that good of a version to do so.

I really respect the passion and emotion that is put into the Deftones music. Give this CD/DVD a chance, You will find that you have made the right choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars here it is, October 11, 2005
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
God I was excited when I heard the deftones were going to be putting out a rareties album. I have been a diehard fan for years, but still there are a few tracks off this album I don't have. If you have collected the singles, you wil have a lot of the songs off of this release. For me, the highlights are "Chauffeur" from the Duran Duran tribute album, and "Savoury" a Jawbox cover featuring Jonah from the seminal Far. Jonah also appears on the Sade cover "no ordianry love" and "be Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away) (Acoustic)" I believe. This version is haunting and beautiful. Originally on the b-side of said single.

The majority of the record is pretty strong. So why only 4 stars? well, there are 3 tracks I can think off the top of my head that are missing.

1-To Have and To Hold from the depeche mode tribute album. An awsome track indeed.

And the older tracks from soundtracks:

2-Teething.

3-I can't breathe.

Where are these tracks, chino? there was space on this cd, why were they left off?

overall, lovely packageing and bonus dvd containing some very boring videos. C'mon, I love Deftones, but hteir videos aren't really their strong point.

Weakest tracks in my oppinion are Black moon featuring Cypress Hill vocals (never been a fan) and Sinatra, the Helmet cover. The production on this is pretty dodgy and doesn't really do the original any justice.

I recomend it though. They are still one of the best and most consistent bands around, and this should keep you happy until the new album comes out in 2006.

4.0 out of 5 stars Odds and Sods Collections Are Never Perfect, December 28, 2006
UFker (University of Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
First off, the DVD is great, and that's probably the reason most people buy this set. It's nice to have all the videos in one place. As for the CD, it's a mish-mash and suffers as a result, but that's to be expected. Most of the songs on here are just curiosities, especially the four reworked/acoustic versions of older songs. You probably won't revisit them too often, with the possible exception of the acoustic "Be Quiet and Drive" which is very compelling. Then there are EIGHT covers, which vary in quality. The Deftones' interpretations of "Savory" and "The Chauffeur" are fantastic, and "Simple Man" and "No Ordinary Love" are also unique and good. "Wax and Wane" is not a very good song in its own right, so I don't care for the cover. Unfortunately, "If Only Tonight We Could Sleep" and "Please Please Please..." just aren't great covers. Finally, there are two Deftones originals, "Crenshaw Punch" and "Black Moon." The first is a great addition to their catalogue, while the latter is purely a rap song which I don't like. In terms of pacing, the disc is great until the four-song set of "Black Moon"-"If Only Tonight We Could Sleep"-"Please Please Please..."-"Digital Bath (acoustic)," which almost kills it, though it's revived by "The Chauffeur." All in all, you're sure to enjoy several of these tracks (at least "Savory" and "The Chauffeur") as a Deftones fan, but you're also likely to find at least a couple of songs to be lacking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent work, December 17, 2005
This review is from: B-Sides & Rarities (Audio CD)
This is a great idea- 1 side of b-sides and the other of acoustics- many songs of which I wasn't too familiar with but seem pretty solid. The DVD is well-edited and contains great coverage of all 4 major albums of the Tones. I like how the band leaves just enough out to sustain their mistique. In this respect, this is probably why they have outlived bands like limp bizkit and korn. Musically, the sound is amazing- guitars rifts and bass are so unique, as is Chino's weird screaching/screaming noises and voice.

Best music video- My Own Summer. I like how Chino falls into the water at the end and gets devoured by sharks! Be Quiet and Drive is interesting (under some freeway overpass). Minerva is plain erie- I liked how they went out into the middle of butt-f nowhere to shoot it. Change is a brilliant video that reminds me of some old college parties. These are all very creative videos that really set different moods. But that's what makes the Deftones great.

This band is sick. Definitely looking forward to their new album in 06.