Over the course of three children we have had FIVE carriers: Two slings, a Baby Bjorn, a Snugli and the Ergo Baby.

The Bjorn is definitely the best looking and easiest to use. The clips and connectors are very intuitive and it's easy to get smaller infants into it. In the first 3 months, this was my favorite carrier.

The "Air" version is basically the "Original" with much more breathable fabric. Unfortunately this doesn't address the biggest shortcoming of the carrier.

My big complaint is that when the kids get larger (or if you wear it for more than ~10 minutes at a time) it really starts to kill your back. This is because the design keeps all the weight on your shoulders. It's like wearing a backpack BACKWARDS!

The "Active" version has wider straps and a which provide additional support for a small improvement over the "Original," but it still puts all the weight on your shoulders, pulling them forward. The additional strap is a "lumbar" strap and still too high to put the weight on your hips.

If you backpack, you know what I'm talking about. A lightweight daypack is fine for lugging 10 lbs of textbooks from class to class, but if you want to be able to hike for an hour with 25+ lbs you have to shift the weight to your hips.

If you only plan to use this when grocery shopping and think you'll give it up when they're 6 months old, this might be for you. If you think you might want to go to the park and hang out, or use it even when the kid starts to crawl, then the Ergo Baby is probably more your speed. My wife can take our 25 lb one year old for 20 minute walks around the neighborhood in the Ergo. We keep it in the car to use as a stroller substitute just in case.

p.s. this is coming from a guy who is 6', 180# and fit. My wife is smaller and far more critical of the ergonomics of this carrier.

If you've found this review helpful, please let me know!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2009
We have a Baby Bjorn (Original) as well as an Ergo baby carrier. I think both have their advantages and disadvantages, which I will try to explain below.

We purchased the Ergo carrier before our daughter was born based on the recommendation of a friend. However, we found that she could not sit in it comfortably at first. Before your baby can straddle your torso (until about 4 months/15 lbs), you have to put both legs on one side. I watched the instructional DVD several times and tried to place her into the carrier as comfortably as possible, but she did not like it at all. It didn't look comfortable either with her back twisted and body squished. This is when we decided to try the original Baby Bjorn carrier.

Our daughter loved being in the Bjorn (facing in or out). This carrier is easy to put on and take off and quite compact. However, it was not very comfortable for me (especially as she got heavier) since it put a lot of pressure on my back and shoulders. The fact that there is no waist belt and little padding on the shoulder straps probably contributes to this. The newer Baby Bjorn Active carrier with lumbar support may alleviate some of these problems. (I haven't tried this product though, so I'm not speaking from personal experience). We used the Bjorn until she turned 4 months (about 15 lbs).

I was so relieved when she could finally fit into the Ergo properly (with one leg on each side). It is so much easier on my back and shoulders. With the Bjorn, I could maybe last 15 minutes (at 15 lbs). With the Ergo, I can comfortably go for an hour or two (at almost 20 lbs now). I go grocery shopping and on longer walks this way. She seems very comfortable in it now. She's happy whenever I put her in it and will even go to sleep in it. (Sometimes, this is the only way I can get her to sleep). It looks a lot more comfortable than the Bjorn since she's sitting in it as opposed to being suspended from her crotch. I also don't have any trouble nursing discretely in the Ergo.

Around 6 months I also began carrying her on my back in the Ergo, which was even easier on my back. I have found this to be really convenient when doing things around the house such as vacuuming, doing laundry, cooking etc. It's also nice for outdoor activities like apple picking, strawberry picking, hiking etc. I find these activities somewhat more difficult when carrying a baby in front. While it is easy to put your baby in the front carrying position by yourself, it takes some practice to wear your baby on your back. At first, I needed somebody to help me get her situated on my back, but now I can easily do it by myself. Some may not like the fact that you cannot face your baby outward in the Ergo (and some babies may not like facing inward). This has not been a problem for us. While our daughter loved facing outward in the Bjorn, she did not object to facing inward in the Ergo. Rather than being pressed up against me, she's sitting in it, so she can still look at things to the sides. One more thing about the Ergo - I would recommend purchasing the sucking pads (ERGO Sucking Pads - Cream). Our daughter loves sucking on the straps and it's just much more convenient to wash the sucking pads rather than the whole carrier.

In summary, I think that both, the Bjorn as well as the Ergo, are good carriers, each with some drawbacks. The Bjorn is wonderful for a newborn up to about 12-15 lbs. Being able to have your baby facing in or out is a nice feature. Because of the strain on your back however, I would not recommend using this carrier with older/heavier babies. The Ergo is great for babies starting at around 15 lbs or when they are able to wrap their legs around you. It is much easier on your back and being able to carry your baby on your back can be convenient. For us, the Ergo was not very useful before our daughter turned 4 months as she was not comfortable with her legs on one side, but this probably depends on the baby.

I would rate the Bjorn 3 stars (because it's so hard on your back and we could only use it for a few months) and the Ergo 4 stars (because we couldn't use it with our newborn). My recommendation would be to get one of each if you can. We bought a gently used Bjorn for less than $10, and I have seen a lot of these on Ebay as well as Craigslist. Maybe you could even borrow one from a friend. It just seems like a lot of money to spend on something you aren't going to use for very long. However, I loved carrying my newborn around in it, so I wouldn't have wanted to do without it.

***********************
UPDATE July 2011:
We went on a trip overseas and I was able to carry my 25 lb toddler on my back in the Ergo at 6 months pregnant for about an hour at a time if she got tired.

***********************
UPDATE January 2013:
Loved using the Ergo for baby #2 as well. He didn't want/need to be carried around as much as his sister (around the house), but it was still nice to have for grocery shopping and when we were out and about. I actually didn't use the Bjorn at all this time, so I think I'm going to get rid of it at this point. Instead, I got a moby Moby Wrap Original 100% Cotton Baby Carrier, Black and a k'tan Baby K'tan Baby Carrier, Black, Small. I mainly used the k'tan from 0-4 months (it's similar to the moby, but "pre-wrapped" so you're not dealing with 5 feet of fabric), then switched to the Ergo. I loved having a soft carrier for my newborn! So my NEW RECOMMENDATION would be to get a soft carrier for the first few months and the Ergo. The moby is nice if several people need to use it since it is one-size. I personally found the k'tan more convenient, but it is sized, so another caregiver may not be able to use it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 2005
Color Name: Midnight Blue
My baby loves it, but my back does not. It puts all of the baby's weight on a muscle between my shoulder blades (no matter how many different ways I adjust the straps)...it feels nothing like being pregnant because my back did not bother me at all then, even though I gained 40 lbs. If I wear my baby in the Bjorn for even an hour during the day, my back will throb when I lay down at night and I will have to sit and lie down for the next several days to recover. I am petite and had a 9 lb. baby, so I thought I just needed to get my muscles used to her weight, but my husband is very strong and muscular and the Bjorn does the exact same thing to his back. People rave about this carrier and it is the most stylish carrier on the market, but I don't recommend this item at all and will never put it on again.
on December 8, 2005
Color Name: Midnight Blue
I received this as a gift when I had my first baby...my husband used it a couple times around the house to rock him to sleep. We didn't really use it with my second son 14 months later...maybe because we had a double stroller and they went around in that all the time...NOW introduce new baby sister 3.5 years after our first baby. She was a late spring baby so we were able to use the carrier at picnics and get togethers at friends' homes when I needed to mingle around. This way I didn't have to carry the car seat around with me....but now that it is winter, we really don't need it. And once the babies become heavier than 15 pounds, it really does a number on your back.

SO if you are considering buying this...I would suggest only buy it if you are having a Spring baby so that you can use this during the summer. Or if you have 2 other rugrats that you need to hold onto when crossing parking lots...other than that, the car seats are just fine. You will only really use this a maximum of 4 months.
on April 26, 2009
I think the title says it all. We have a 1-month-old, and we've tried it several times, and he hates it with a passion. Also, it's very awkward to get in and out of. My wife purchased a wrap carrier (Maya wrap?) and the difference is like night-and-day. Not only is the design elegantly simpler (wrap inspired vs. backpack inspired with 80 hooks, snaps, and buckles), but he loves it. The wrap design seems to really promote snuggling, unlike the baby Bjorn.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 8, 2007
Color Name: Midnight BlueVerified Purchase
I tried out another infant carrier before buying this one because I was trying to save some money. That was a big mistake. The other carrier was bulkier and the straps were nylon which constantly made the carrier slip down in the front because of the weight of the baby. I had to continually pull the straps back or push the baby up to get it to lay the way it was supposed to.

The Baby Bjorn is very easy to use and not at all bulky when wearing it. The padded straps are extremely comfortable and because they are covered with the same fabric as the rest of the carrier, they stay securely on my back and shoulders as they are intended to. The carrier fits snugly and comfortably around my 6-week-old and she falls asleep every time she is in it.

If I were to have one complaint it would be that there is nothing separating your chest from the baby's face for a forward facing infant. This means that whenever they spit up it's going to be all over your shirt. I always place a folded up cloth diaper between her head and my clothing to take care of this problem.

This carrier is expensive, but having tried another I would recommend the Baby Bjorn with confidence. It's definitely worth the money.
on December 14, 2005
Color Name: Midnight Blue
I loved this carrier until my daughter was about 15-18 pounds. After that it was way to heavy for extended period of times. When she was small it was perfect we could go for walks, get errands completed around the house, or just hang out outside with it on. I tried it at the store and at the mall, but after a while my back started hurting. My daughter was actually pretty comfortable in it. My husband wore it a few times to and he said it was comfortable.

Con-When My daughter could be placed fron forward the top of the carrier rubbed on her face and would not bend down, so that was a pain.
on August 24, 2005
Color Name: Midnight Blue
If there is one thing that I could say was a great investment, the Baby Bjorn is it! This thing is amazing. It is expensive, but completely worth it when you consider its versatility as well as its comfort factor. I have not had any back pain whatsoever (the trick is to wear baby up high) and I use it all the time. It's so great that I even use it to work out at the gym. It keeps baby close and comfortable, which is what she wants. My daughter falls asleep almost every time I put her in it. She loves it, and so do I!
on August 27, 2005
Color Name: Midnight Blue
This Baby Bjorn is great to have on hand. And once your little one can hold their head up - they'll love looking around and you'll love having your hands free. I do wish we had the active carrier with the back support - it would help an aching lower back considerably.
on August 22, 2005
Color Name: Midnight Blue
This is a lifesaver! We first purchased a cheaper carrier but after a couple of uses decided it was worth it to spend the extra money for something more comfortable and easy to use. Ever since my daughter was a few weeks old we've been using this on a daily basis. She is now 3 months old and loves to face forward! She can fuss and fuss, but as soon as she goes in this she doesn't say a peep! It's easy to put on and adjust and very comfortable for mom and baby!