1,579 Reviews
 (1,088)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Bib
Published on July 20, 2006 by Reviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Baby Bjorn, Bibbity, and Bumkins bibs
I am a mother with 3 young children and I wanted to know which bibs worked the best. I have compared the Bumkins Superbib, the Babybjorn bib, the Bibbity bib, and the Bumkins sleeved bib.

Published on May 20, 2011 by mom-of-3

2.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Baby Bjorn, Bibbity, and Bumkins bibs, May 20, 2011

With my first child, I quickly realized that using cloth bibs and putting them in the laundry after each meal was a terrible idea. They would get moldy and I had to own a dozen bibs. Then I switched to Bumkins Superbibs. They are very easy to use. I just wash them in the sink after meals and hang them on my bib drying rack. The bibs are dry and ready to use again by the next meal. Bumkins Superbibs are lightweight and my babies never mind wearing them. Since the pockets are soft, they don't work well if the bib has been kept flat in a drawer. I always kept my Superbibs hanging upside down by the pocket on the bib drying rack. So, the pocket dried in the open position and worked better. Now my third child is 8 months old and is eating mushy baby food. Even with the Bumkins Superbibs, there are still always some oatmeal spills on his clothes. I rarely have to change his entire outfit after a meal, but I wondered if there was a better bib available. So, I bought a BabyBjorn bib and a Bibbity bib. Here are my results.

Both the BabyBjorn and the Bibbity bibs are SMALLER than the Bumkins Superbibs. The Babybjorn bib is made of hard plastic (like a cup). It says "soft" in the description but that is just nonsense. The Bibbity bib is softer, like rubber.

The Babybjorn bib is difficult to put on the baby because it is so hard. Even the neck strap is made of stiff plastic. I had great difficulty adjusting the neck hole because it kept hurting my son's neck. I never could get the hole small enough to keep food from escaping onto the clothes below his chin. Plan on baby crying the entire time you are fiddling with his bib. The pocket of the bjorn bib is great and always stays open. However, because the pocket is so rigid, it clashes with the tray. My son sits on a chair that clips onto the countertop. The bjorn bib pocket kept getting caught under the countertop and then it would yank my son's neck. He really hated wearing this bib. The BabyBjorn bib is super easy to wash in the sink. It is easy to dry with a towel so you don't need a bib drying rack with this bib.

The Bibbity bib is much better than the BabyBjorn bib. It is softer and feels like rubber. It was awkward to put on at first and my son was mad. However, he got used to it. I was able to get the neck hole small enough to keep most of the oatmeal out without hurting my son's neck. The pocket stays open pretty well. However, since it is soft, the pocket would close up when my son leaned forward and the pocket hit the edge of the countertop/tray. So, food did slide past the closed pocket and land on my son's lap. The Bibbity bib is about 1 inch shorter than the Bjorn bib and is 2.5 inches shorter than the Bumkins Superbib. It is very easy to wash in the sink and dry with a towel. I think the Bibbity bib works a little better than the Bumkins Superbib because the pocket catches more. However, my 3 year old daughter refused to wear the Bibbity bib, and said it hurt her neck. She loves to wear her Bumkins Superbibs. UPDATE: My son is now 13 months old and refuses to wear the Bibbity bib. It is just too heavy and uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, all 3 of these bibs left way too much food spilled on my 8 month old's clothes. If you have a baby who eats mushy baby food and grabs the spoon, a regular bib just doesn't give adequate protection. So, I bought 1 MORE bib. I bought the Bumkins sleeved bib. It was GREAT! It covered everything, even his lap! He could feed himself oatmeal, make a huge mess, and his clothes were clean afterward! The sleeved bib is very easy to clean too. I just wash it off in the kitchen sink and hang it on my bib drying rack (which sits right next to the sink). It went from dripping wet to completely dry in 2 hours. Since, the sleeved bib dries fast on the rack, I use the same bib at each meal and only needed to buy one sleeved bib. I put it in the laundry every few days.

UPDATE: My son is now 13 months old. He refuses to wear the Bibbity bib at all. It is too heavy and uncomfortable. He also pulls off his Bumkins Superbibs, throws them on the floor, and laughs. So, I put the Bumkins Sleeved bib on him for every meal. He feeds himself spaghetti and makes the biggest mess you've ever seen. He doesn't mind wearing the sleeved bib and can't get it off. It also does the best job protecting his clothes. I wash it in the kitchen sink after meals and hang it on the bib drying rack. It is dry in about 2 hours. I put it in the laundry every few days. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably buy 2 Bumkins Sleeved bibs and a drying rack and that's it. Here is a link to the drying rack I am talking about. Mommy Genius Drying Rack--Dry or Display Just About Anything (Baby Bibs, Plastic or Reusable Food Storage Bags, Kitchen Dish Towels, Bathroom Hand Towels, Washcloths, Mugs, Sports Water Bottles, Herbs, Mittens, Children's Boots, Lingerie, Holiday Orname...

2.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Bjorn, Bibbity, and Bumkins, May 19, 2011

The Bibbity bib is much better than the BabyBjorn bib. It is softer and feels like rubber. It was awkward to put on at first and my son was mad. However, he got used to it. I was able to get the neck hole small enough to keep most of the oatmeal out without hurting my son's neck. The pocket stays open pretty well. However, since it is soft, the pocket would close up when my son leaned forward and the pocket hit the edge of the countertop/tray. So, food did slide past the closed pocket and land on my son's lap. The Bibbity bib is about 1 inch shorter than the Bjorn bib and is 2.5 inches shorter than the Bumkins Superbib. It is very easy to wash in the sink and dry with a towel. I think the Bibbity bib works a little better than the Bumkins Superbib because the pocket catches more. My 3 year old daughter refused to wear the Bibbity bib, though, and said it hurt her neck. She loves to wear her Bumkins Superbibs.

Unfortunately, all 3 of these bibs left way too much food spilled on my 8 month old's clothes. If you have a baby who eats mushy baby food and grabs the spoon, a regular bib just doesn't give adequate protection. I still had to change my son's entire outfit after most meals. So, I bought 1 MORE bib. I bought the Bumkins sleeved bib. It was GREAT! It covered everything, even his lap! He could feed himself oatmeal and his clothes were very clean afterward! The sleeved bib was very easy to clean too. I just washed it off in the kitchen sink and hang it on my bib drying rack. It went from dripping wet to completely dry in 2 hours. Since, the bib dries fast, I can use the same sleeved bib at each meal and I only needed to buy one. Here is the link to the drying rack that I am talking about.Mommy Genius Drying Rack--Dry or Display Just About Anything (Baby Bibs, Plastic or Reusable Food Storage Bags, Kitchen Dish Towels, Bathroom Hand Towels, Washcloths, Mugs, Sports Water Bottles, Herbs, Mittens, Children's Boots, Lingerie, Holiday Orname...

In conclusion, I recommend the Bumkins sleeved bib (and a bib drying rack) for any baby who eats pureed food. When they start on finger food, the Bumkins Superbibs and the Bibbity bib are good. The Bibbity work a little better but your child might think they are uncomfortable. I do not recommend the Babybjorn bib. I'm sorry Babybjorn. I love to wear my baby in your carrier:)

3.0 out of 5 stars great but wears down with a hole, February 11, 2007
H. Fu (Minneapolis, MN, USA) - See all my reviews
I love these bibs, I had bought 4 of them. Unfortunately, they are softer than the original ones but the softnenss make them wear down fast. I used them for 6 months, and in the bottom pocket's mid section wears down with a hole. This happened to all of them. The original ones that are harder plastics, do not have this problem. I had an original one from my older son, 2 years ago, still good and can be washed in dish washer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Bib, July 20, 2006
Baby Bjorn did it again. The Soft Bib is the very best bib that we have found. We went through alot of bibs (and $) before we found the Soft Bib. I was orignally reluctant to buy the Baby Bjorn because I thought it would be too small, and I thought it was a bit pricey. I therefore bought a cheaper brand of the formed bib, but it's hard plastic edge dug into my son's neck and left red marks. When I finally got the soft bib I was so impressed. Well worth the money.

It is so well designed and durable. It catches EVERYTHING! and is very comfortable for my son. The plastic is very soft and flexible. And it turns out the size was not an issue at all. My son is large for his age (97th percentile), but this bib still fits him just fine at age 2 1/2. And it is a snap to clean. Just rinse under the faucet. If I was designing the perfect bib, this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Review, Reply to Person Concerned about Plastic Content, December 4, 2007
To the mom concerned about the plastic content in these bibs: I contacted BabySwede to ask about this, and here's the (very prompt!) reply I got:

Thank you for contacting BabySwede. All of our products are PVC-free. Our bibs are made with Thermoplastic Elastomer. It does not contain any hormone-disrupting substances. I hope this helps. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Danielle Falvy

BabySwede

5.0 out of 5 stars Less Fuss and Less Mess!, October 11, 2005
Tessa & Aidan's Mommy (Arlington Heights, IL) - See all my reviews
I purchased this bib for my son when he was 5 months old and eating solid foods (fruits, veggies and cereal). He is now 7 months old and I'm still using this bib for every meal. It does a good job at keeping my messy guy pretty clean (he still gets his right shoulder pretty messy). His lap is considerably less sloppy because of the design of the pocket. It is really great to be able to wash this bib in the sink with dish soap and water after every meal and have it ready to go for the next one. The cloth bibs I was using before this one didn't keep baby's lap from getting totalled and they created lots of really gross laundry. You can't exactly just toss a carrot-soaked bib into the hamper until you get time to do a load of wash because they will start to grow mold! Anyway, I think this is a great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars can't say anything bad about these, July 28, 2007
This review is from: BABYBJORN Soft Bib, Green/Yellow, 2 Count (Baby Product)
These are just the best bibs. They're soft silicone, can be easily rinsed off after a meal and be washed in the dishwasher (top rack) anytime. There're easy to put on and have a hole to hang up to dry. My kids (4 and 2) have been using them since they were solid food fed. This is my second pair of them because the old ones were used so much and my kids had a tendency when they were young to bend the catcher that the bibs had eventually cracked in the catcher. I just hate that they aren't sold everywhere that people had the opportunity to buy them because they are totally awesome. Target used to sell the red and blue ones in the stores but for some reason they stopped. A shame. These are really good bibs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Baby hated it, February 21, 2010
This review is from: BABYBJORN Soft Bib, Green/Yellow, 2 Count (Baby Product)
The bibs were far smaller than I thought, and the baby felt like choking. He pulled it and cried every time he wore it. They are very cute but were of no use for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comparison to Oxo bib, August 1, 2013
I have been using the Babybjorn Bib for years and love the catch-all pocket. However, I have found a few design flaws that made it problematic to use. The OXO Tot Roll Up Bib corrects all the issues I had with the Babybjorn.

NECK CLASP
The Babybjorn clasp comes undone too easily. A yank by the child in any direction will pop it out. Also, there is a risk of throat trauma if your child sticks the hard plastic cord in his mouth. The Oxo clasp is made of velcro which is slightly more difficult for your child to undo. It is also totally safe if your child starts chewing or sucking on it.

BIB MATERIAL
The Babybjorn plastic is very stiff which can be uncomfortable around the child's neck. When your child is small, the bib may rest on the table or tray and get pushed up into the neck area. My kids found this uncomfortable and would frequently try to yank off the bib.

The Oxo material is nylon in the upper area which is as soft and flexible as a shirt. It conforms to your child's neck which creates a superior seal. The lower bib area is made of soft rubbery material which is much more pliable and forgiveable than the Babybjorn. The Oxo will not get pushed up into the neck when it rests on a tray.

PORTABILITY
The Babybjorn does not fold up in any way. The Oxo rolls up nicely and stays in place with a tab. This makes the Oxo much more portable.

OVERALL
The catch-all pocket is vastly superior to a flat bib in keeping food from ending up on the chair or floor. The pocket also gives your child a chance to "recycle" food by grabbing food out of the pocket. Both the Oxo and Babybjorn can function effectively and can be washed in the dishwasher. However, the Oxo is the clear choice because it is superior in comfort, safety, and portability.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome invention, May 25, 2008
These things are amazing. We've almost completely stopped using the old fashioned cloth bibs... they're just too messy and too much hassle.

About the only things I can say against these, are that the neck cord is too hard to fasten sometimes... and the strap sticking out is too tempting for little fingers to find more entertaining than the feeding. I can only hope that as our son gets older and bigger the strap getting smaller will get it out of his sight. The other down side to these bibs is the pocket can trap drool and food that then gets dumped out in a flood, rather than having a chance to soak in to whatever it's dumpped on... this can lead to the yuck traveling a lot farther. (and entertaining the baby a lot more.) If you've got a heavy drooler, a pause in the feeding to dump out the buildup can alleviate that.

Best features: the pocket allows crumbs to turn into finger foods. Quick and easy cleanups... a simple rinse and hang to dry will work for "neat" feedings, toss 'em in the dishwasher after the really messy ones, or if you are too busy trying to clean the kiddo's face to rinse the bib while dinner is still wet. (Just remember to put them in upside down, so that the pocket doesn't fill up with gunk in the wash cycle.)

UPDATE: Well, I still stand by what I wrote above for babies. Our toddler mentally outgrew this bib long before he phyically outgrew it. He knows how to undo the cord, and revels in undoing it and twirling the bib around. Flinging gunk all over. We've actually stopped using bibs all together at this point and will be passing these on to his about to be born cousin.

BABYBJORN Soft Bib, Green/Yellow, 2 Count