4.0 out of 5 stars Baby Bjorn vs Phil and Teds travel cribs - which is better?
I have two Baby Bjorn travel cribs for my baby twins and a Phil & Ted travel crib for my older child. Which one is better for air travel? Which one for car travel? There is a difference.

BABY BJORN

Published on December 2, 2011 by Justbooking

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconvenient for plane travel. Doesn't fit in a suitcase!
Published 22 months ago by Lady Bug

4.0 out of 5 stars Baby Bjorn vs Phil and Teds travel cribs - which is better?, December 2, 2011

BABY BJORN

The BabyBjorn travel crib can't be beat for use at home and for car travel, as it can be set up and disassembled in about 30 seconds. We use American Baby Company Value Jersey Knit Porta-Crib Sheet, Celery, and it fits the mattress perfectly, at a fraction of the price of the Baby Bjorn crib sheet. My son sleeps in the travel crib almost every night and seems comfortable, as the mattress is fairly thick and has no bars underneath like a pack n play would. However, at 33", I think he'll outgrow it in a few months as there is not a lot more room lengthwise (the mattress is 24" x " 41", the dimensions given in the description are for the outside). *** Please note that the mattress is on the soft side and may not be suitable for newborns or babies that cannot roll over on their own ***

The material of the crib is also worth noting. It's soft and cottony and has stayed like new after daily use.

Why not five stars? The Baby Bjorn travelcrib is also lot larger folded up than the Phil & Ted's. I wouldn't use it for air travel if you want to minimize the amount of luggage - it's bigger than a carry-on and may have to be checked - call ahead to check carry on dimensions allowed and if you can gate check it (new restrictions may apply). I also doubt the fine zippered bag it comes in will hold up to baggage handling. It's also way too expensive - it costs almost as much as my son's Bonavita hardwood crib!

PHIL & TED'S

The phil&teds Traveller Crib, Black on the other hand is a great travel crib for air travel as it folds up very small, is super lightweight, and fits into any suitcase or duffle - I think you could even fit two cribs in without any problems in terms of size or weight. However, it does take about 15 minutes to set up and to disassemble and fit into the small bag it comes in. So plan ahead, practice at home, have your child sleep in it a night or two so they get used to it if possible, and bring along the manual, just in case. Set it up as soon as you get to your destination - you don't want to do this later on with a tired crying child.

The self-inflating mattress on the P&T is long and narrow, similar to those used for camping. We put the mattress inside and used regular crib sheets on it and tucked them well underneath (the newest model has a vinyl sleeve to put the mattress into). It will probably work for kids up to age 3, as any older, they may not like being confined in a smallish space. My two-year old child slept well in it on long trips and it still looks new after much use, with a material that is easy to clean.

Although harder to set up and dismantle, I found the Phil & Ted to be great quality, super compact and much less expensive than the Baby Bjorn travel crib. It's also likely that I'll be using it longer than the BB, as it's more compact and can be used outdoors as well.

In a nutshell, both are good but with some disadvantages - the Phil & Ted crib is better for air travel and indoor/outdoor use, while the BabyBjorn one is better for home and car travel. Regardless of which you go with, it may be a good idea to put your kids in their stroller or bouncy seat while you assemble either one of these (like the KidCo GoPod Portable Activity Seat - Pistachio. You don't want little fingers in the way.

If you are considering the Kidco Peapod - beware. The sides are made of non-breathable material and it's easily malleable. A 5 month old child tragically suffocated in a PeaPod last December (see March 27, 2012 review from Christine Whelan, the mother, for the Kidco PeaPod Plus Indoor/Outdoor Travel Bed - Red - see links under comments).

Finally, once your kids outgrow these travel cribs, consider getting the excellent AeroBed Sleep Tight Inflatable Bed for Kids. It works well for kids three and over, with built in side and end rails, sheets, detachable electric pump and storage bag with shoulder strap. It's very comfortable, easy to clean, can be used at home for sleep-overs and is great for trips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic Comfort, February 3, 2012
Bought this Wednesday, received it Friday. I had read all the reviews and watched the video, so I knew how it worked. We had been out for a long adventure and had just gotten home when I saw the box. I was going to lay my 34", 30 lb 11 oz 19 month old down for her nap. I thought, should I try the new travel bed? well I whipped it out in a few seconds, added a soft crib sheet on the mattress, rocked her a few moments and laid her down (sleepy, but awake). She bunched up her knees took a little notice of her new surroundings and then snuggled in and I haven't heard a peep! I debated about buying this because of the price and because we are not sure if we will have more children. At best we will get 1-1.5 years use out of it. Here is why I bought it. We travel a lot and mostly are fortunate to have a real crib for our babies, but we do cruise and stay in hotels too. I hate pack n plays for sleeping. They are fine to play in but I have had my kids pull up the mattress (when ill fitted on cruises) and end up sitting on the hard bars below! They also don't sleep well in them, and I am convinced it is because they are so much less comfy than their crib mattress.

So I wanted my little girl to sleep great on our upcoming trip... so I bought this and am already impressed that she went down in something new so easily! It is not super small, but easily can fit in a suitcase or be carried on board if needed. I was worried that it might not be long enough for my tall girl, but she has 10 inches total to spare top to bottom, a little more if she is at an angle and she often sleeps curled up. So I am anticipating happy sleeping for the whole family on our vacation which means a happy mama!! I just wish I had bought this for my first child. We used whatever was available when we traveled (hence the pack n play incident). We bought a pea pod last year for my daughter and it was fine for a new born to 9 mo (she was a late crawler), but has its disadvantages for mobile babies (it made lots of noise when she moved around, you cannot put a sheet on it so they have to sleep on the tent material, you cannot put the entire thing in the wash, and there is no way to secure it to the floor to kkep it from flipping over if baby rolls or crawls onto the side). Wish I had just bought this BB instead!! hope this helps if you are deciding if it is worth the extra cash. I feel it is the BEST option out there, birth till 3 hands down!!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word- Excellent, July 2, 2013
This review is from: BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light 2, Black (Baby Product)
I just wanted to write a recommendation for the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib.
I know many of us travel alone with infants, and it sucks.
No, really!

Initially when my son was born, I had a Graco Travel Lite Crib, Winslet, which worked perfectly at the bedside until we transitioned him to his larger crib. We live overseas and travel a lot, and thus begun the daunting task of transporting his much larger Graco Pack 'n Play On the Go Travel Playard, Go Green . It wasn't until one of my airlines told me that infants in arms were entitled to 20lbs of weight - to include stroller, car seat and any other accruement, that I started to panic. I knew my pack n play was heavy. I estimated about 10lbs... Well surprise surprise, it was 22 lbs. I also knew that I could no longer travel without a bed for baby - and I couldn't continue buying a new, cheap pack n play where ever we went and disposing of it when we left(something we had made a habit out of). Thus, I was lead to the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib.

I ended up buying the Travel Crib II and two other "lightweight" pack n plays with the intention of returning two. These were:
The Lotus Crib (Guava Family) Lotus Travel Crib and Portable Baby Playard
&
The Phil and Ted's "Traveller". phil&teds Traveller Crib, Silver

Firstly, the phil and ted's traveller: I'm pretty sure you need an engineering degree to put this thing together. It's ridiculous! It took me 25 minutes to set it up and another 15 to take it down. However: It's VERY lightweight and it folds up really, really, small: You could easily put it in your carry on bag. However, because I'm buying this to travel alone, I had to pass on this one and send it back. It was just too much work to put together.

The Lotus Crib is the one I thought I would keep. I really liked that it had backpack straps, it was fairly light and fairly small. FYI for those of you familiar, it folds up about as small as aGraco Travel Lite Crib with Stages, Peyton. So, while its smaller than your conventional pack n play, and definitely lighter, it is still the basic shape of a pack n play when folded. If you're like me and feel like you play tetris with luggage carts every time you have to load one up: especially nowadays when you're paying 5 bucks per cart at the airport! I also had trouble with the fold, and all the velcro and buckles you have to do up. I kept it for about a week while awaiting the Baby Bjorn to make my decision. I liked how long the Lotus was, because I have a long baby, I could see alot of use out of it. It will also shortly be able to convert to a bassinet with a new product the Guava family is putting out. I liked the zipper entrance, too. It works well.

Well, finally the baby bjorn came and I am soooooo sooooo happy. Immediately I knew that I would be keeping it. The long, flat shape is stellar, for packing and stacking: I could either put it in my suitcase, or leave it out, its about the height of a standard carry on bag, but wider. I dont think you could carry it on most airlines. However, it's so flat, It will easily stack. It felt lighter than the Lotus Crib, even though its only about 1lb lighter. I thought it would be smaller than the lotus crib, but its almost the exact same size. The only thing it doesn't offer is the zipper entrance. The fold, for me, anyway, was easier. AND I can get it back into the bag no problem (Am I the only person who can never get these things back in the bag?).

I really like the mattress on the bjorn, it's "Squishy" and reminscient of Memory Foam. I found a regular crib sheet worked fine for my 11 month old. Although not the tightest fit, it's certainly not loose, and I would use a regular crib sheet with any child over 3 months (who can roll, etc). I used a Gerber 2 Pack Cotton Knit Fitted Crib Sheets Yellow/White Jungle Design sheet, and I left the sheet on the mattress when folded. It did make zipping the bag back up a little tighter, but saves me time and effort when I'm trying to get it set up.

The only negative, for me anyway, is the price. Yup, it's expensive. It's one of those things you have to toss up. I love quality baby items - and I tend to spend a lot on them. If you are at a lower price point, I would recommend the new Valco Baby Zephyr Travel Crib, Storm, which is priced lower (or was when I was looking). It's a similar design with a few more steps involved and a little more weight, but still miles lighter than your traditional pack and play.

So if you are travelling alone this summer, I highly recommend the Bjorn. It's fantastic!

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconvenient for plane travel. Doesn't fit in a suitcase!, February 25, 2013
This review is from: BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light 2, Black (Baby Product)
Here's what I love about the crib. We bought the black one. It looks great, is lightweight & set-up/take-down is a breeze. But be forewarned, if you travel by air...it's a headache to actually travel with. Since the crib breaks down into a big rectangular bag that is too large to carry-on, unless you have an even larger suitcase to pack it in...I mean HUGE...the only way to bring the crib along is to check it as a separate piece of luggage. So by the time you shell out all the extra baggage fees, any convenience the crib might offer quickly evaporates. The crib would be so much better if it folded into a smaller package. As is, this crib is only really convenient during travel by car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., September 22, 2013
Literally the BEST portable crib. Not ugly, lightweight, simple. It is a little pricey but if you use it a lot, it will definitely be worth the money. Also, it does fit in a normal large suitcase for traveling with a little extra room to spare.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is awesome!, May 10, 2012
We bought this crib when we were about to do an international trip with our 19 month old son. And it worked great! We stayed at a few hotels/resorts and at Grandma's house and he slept in it just fine. We even used it during our lay overs at the airport. It gave my husband and I some down time to freshen up and just sit without chasing a toddler all over the airport the entire time we were there. It's amazingly easy and fast to set up and put away. We carried it on with us and it fits in the overhead bin.I used a regular pack and play sheet with it. I also love that I can throw the fabric/mesh part in the wash after all that traveling. If you need a pack and play- for travel or not, get this product. It didn't hurt that it looks stylish too. My only complain (take .5 point out of the 5 i gave) is the price. BUt with that being said, it is worth every $$$.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be perfect EXCEPT for..., February 18, 2013
My 11-month old will not sleep well in a Pack n Play. In addition, Pack n Plays are too heavy and big for air travel. So, I decided to buy the Bjorn Travel Crib Light 2 despite its price (only slightly cheaper than my actual crib). For the past two days my baby has taken her naps in the Bjorn crib and really likes it! I was very skeptical because she loves her crib, and does not sleep well anywhere else. So, much to my surprise, my baby did take her usual 2-hour nap in the Bjorn crib. She also played in it for a good 25 minutes without crying to get out! So, this travel crib would be just perfect, EXCEPT for the non-mesh sides, which are somewhat unsettling to me. They say the sides are breathable, but honestly, I don't think they are. I put my mouth against the fabric and could not really breath well, and I am in my mid thirties! So I am not sure how they say babies can breath. I did a research and could not find any negative feedback (only one here) with bad experiences about this concern, so I guess statistics show that the bottom fabric is not really an issue. I just wish Bjorn would improve the fabric in the bottom part of the crib in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable crib, October 13, 2011
This is very lightweight and super-easy to put together. Much more practical than most other travel cribs because it has fewer components and it is more portable. Another big advantage: it is big and deep, so the child can use it until toddlerhood. So even though it's pricier than other models, it will also outlast them. My other portable crib, which is a pack'n'play type, is already too small for my 6-month old. The Babybjorn is also nice to look at, with clean lines--we keep it in our living room so we have a place to put baby in addition to her crib. My only complaint--although I don't know that it could be solved--is that it is very deep, so for someone short like me, it's hard to put baby down and pick baby up. If you're tall this is probably not an issue! Still worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this crib, May 29, 2013
Our family is traveling internationally and our 1yo twins are coming with us. We had tried the Peapod tent when they were 6 months old but they would cry every time we put either of them in there. We also tried using the tent in their play area in hopes that they would get used to it. We finally bought the bjorn travel crib and it has worked out great. Both our kids love it, and our son now uses the travel crib as his primary crib.
I would give this 5 stars except that I can't find a suitcase to put the crib in for our trip. That has been the only downside.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can easily kill your child, February 2, 2013
The mesh on the product stops about 6 inches above the ground. The synthetic fabric that continues to the ground is not breathable. This is the worst, asinine, begging "please sue me" design imaginable. Our 4 month old had rolled towards the side, we heard a noise and went to check. She had rolled flush onto the fabric and could not breathe. We removed her from the crib and I checked the fabric myself trying the breathe through it. There was virtually no airflow. We will be calling the company to complain and ask for a full refund and will be notifying the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
**UPDATE: Baby Bjorn did issue a full refund and said they would evaluate the problem. Thier other products are brilliant, this one just wasn't thought through.

BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light 2, Black