on October 22, 2009
After 20 years working in physical therapy, one thing I know about back pain is that what is helpful for one person may not be for others because of the multitude of causes. I decided to try the Back2Life because of the 30-day return offer. Although it didn't help me, the product is well made and I can see how it might be helpful for some people, especially for relaxing muscle spasm.

HOWEVER,...I found the company lacking in integrity when it came to returning the machine. After spending 45 minutes on 3 occasions trying to get through the "Return" line, I had to endure very high pressure to try it for "an additional 30 days". I relented and tried for the extended period without improvement and, since I was nearing the end of 60 days tried to return it. Turns out they give the 30 days extra from when you call to return it rather than adding an actual 30 days to your original time period. They were very stubborn about not taking it back even though I was only 2 days over "their" extension (but under 60 days).

Bottom line, possibly a decent machine, but the company is interested in getting your money by any means they can, rather than being satisfied to make their profit from satisfied customers. Be careful! (And if you need to return it, choose the "want to purchase" option on the phone rather than the "return" option--they will pick up right away rather than leaving you on hold forever.)
6666 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 19, 2010
I bought this item after a recommendation from a tennis pro who has chronic lower back pain after years of pounding on the hard courts. I was diagnosed with sciatica and periformis syndrome. I suspect that too much tennis caused these issues for me. I began to suffer from lower back spasms, point pain in my hips, and bursitis. After 2 months of physical therapy and chiropractic care, it actually got worse. I decided to try it just for the back spasms. After the first 5 minutes on the machine I was regretting buying it and not looking forward to the process of sending it back for a refund. But I gave it a chance. After 2 or 3 sessions, I began to feel the tenseness in my lower back releasing. I've been using it every day for about a month and I definitely feel the difference in my mobility and the spasms and sciatica are also greatly improved.

I didn't give it 5 stars because the sound is a little annoying.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 29, 2010
I ordered the machine and it seemed to work relieving my back pain as advertised. However, it only worked for about 4 sessions then quit. I called Back-2-Life's "customer service" line and was told what has turned out to be a long series of lies. I was promised free return shipping and a replacement machine, I was then told they hadn't located the proof of purchase and would call me when they found it and arrange to pick up the defective machine. After a week, I called and was told that a supervisor would call back to discuss the lack of progress. After no call back, I called again and was told that a motor would be sent out (not the whole machine as I had been earlier promised) and I would receive it within a week. A week later and no motor, I am told that they have to check to see if they have the part and it will take 48 hours to find out if they have it. The bottom line is the machine does not function, and after 8 phone calls and 3 weeks I am still no closer to a remedy. The hassle with getting anything (including a straight answer) from Back-2-Life is NOT worth any benefit the machine may provide.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2011
It appears that a lot of companies have money in the selling of this product, it's been hard to find a review that wasn't obviously paid for by someone with a referral code. I bought mine at Costco yesterday (I'm not going to have to deal with the company that's delaying refunds / customer service nightmare) and have the following to say.

1) it is not a miracle machine, it moves your lower back a bit, if you have someone who cares enough to do it for you you can just lift your legs and have them gently move back and forth for 12 minutes or so.
2) it is useless for upper back problems (rib cage and above) as far as I can tell.
3) if your back pain does not allow you to raise your legs forward, getting into this will be extremely painful
4) the height setting is useless. My wife and I both tried it, she had longer legs than I do but is shorter and it does nothing to her at 6 feet. To me at 6 feet it lifts my butt slightly off the ground. They need a conversion chart or at least a statement of how far off the thing is supposed to be since it works by butt-to-kneecap length.
5) it works on something they call "continuous passive motion" - short of it is it moves your back for you. Sounds hokey, however it is a real medical thing (excuse my precise terminology) although with a different name. If you've got a back problem, the muscles are probably locked tight, moving them causes pain out the wazoo. This thing moves your spine a little bit, sort of like a massage.
6) Mine squeaks when I'm using it. It does not squeak when the wife is using it. I do not know if it is my weight or positioning but it's impossible to figure out what is squeaking.

Now, I've used it twice so far, along with exercises and methods I learned when I was laid up with a back injury (I have a couple of disks that have decided they want to go their separate ways). The thing can be extremely relaxing if you get into it. My back pain is for the most part controlled after a day of use, however I do not believe the Back2Life had very much to do with that. I believe it helped some, but I also believe without knowing how to use it it could really hurt someone.

I'm going to use it for a few more day and decide on whether I am taking it back or not. I'll keep this updated.

Oh yeah, as a note, there're some reviews out there that read a lot like this that end up saying it's a miracle. I tracked one down to an affiliate marketing program. Be wary. This may be the only product I've ever tried with as much false positive reviewing, however knowing how the small affiliate business model works I can't blame the company that created this product.

My advice - take some ibuprofen, use this, immediately take a hot bath / soak for a while, then go back and use it again followed by doing whatever you can to not use your back again. I'm not a doc, just someone who was in chiropractic and physical therapy for a while.

-- two weeks later

I used it a few more times, really did not do anything noticeable for me. If you're planning on getting one I suggest getting it at CostCo - the only thing they asked when I returned it was if it was broken or if it just didn't work. You can also get a decent inversion table for about $30 more, and that actually does help and much more quickly.

All in all, might work for you and if it does good for you... not going to say this thing does not work as it *might*... but I think what it's doing for most people is to get them to actually actively lay down and relax flat on your back with your legs up
on May 14, 2010
I have had back pain for years from an accident on a boat that caused a disc to slip out in my lower back. After years of pain and discomfort I finally had surgery that fixed my back problem. I still had some pain on some days but not like before. I was getting my yard ready for the growing season and I have a riding lawnmower that I was on and off a hundred times that day and the last time I felt my back starting to hurt. Couple of days passed and I was taking some medicine to help the pain and discomfort but no help. I went to the doctor and he gave me stronger medicine and a week went by with no results. I went back demanding a MRI to see what I did and he told me to hold out and it will get better. Another week went by and no results so I went back and he told me about Back2like. I went home and ordered it that day and within four days it arrived. I opened it that night and did two rounds. The next morning I told my wife that I just spent another $200.00 on a worthless piece of exercise equipment. I did another couple of sets that day and the next morning I woke up with no back pain. I tell all my friends about the back2life and how it helps me with my back pain.
on May 22, 2010
I was horrified when I started to develop severe lower back pain that several of my family members and friends had described; where they had extensive back surgery and therapy.(with limited success). After about 8 weeks of this pain I was convinced that I needed to see a doctor. That night I saw the "Back to Life" machine advertisement. Out of shear desperation, I called and told the order taker that I knew that this was a gimmick but I was going to try it anyway. Boy was I ever thankful I did! This thing really worked and after 10 days my back pain was totally gone! I have worked this machine into my regular exercise routine, and find it very easy to use; and quite relaxing. I can see from other testimonials that it has not produced the same results for everyone; and that each situation is probably different. Apparently I was a perfect candidate for this thing and have highly recommended it to everyone that I hear complaining about their back pain. Don't waste your money on the pills the Back to Life people will try to sell you. They are very expensive, hard to get off your credit card, and in my opinion not necessary. The machine is the ticket; not the pills.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2009
I tried one of these once and ordered my own immediately. It seems to work like the spinal decompression machines that chiropractors advertise and really relaxes your back, immediately. The people who's machine I used were raving about it and said it really helped their back pain. There are lots of videos on the YouTube that explain how it works, which someone might want to watch before ordering. (UPDATE): November 17, 2009 - Received my own back machine and am using it after doing 'Bootcamp' at the gym and having my back so tight and beat up that I thought I might have to stop going...it seems to relax the back to where you aren't tensing the muscles and you can stretch it out. If you go to Chiropractors I think this is what they call a 'release', where the tension goes away enough to where you can stretch your back and get it loosened up. Anyway, I've had really good luck with it. No matter what sort of back problems you have it seems like having something to relax your back would be helpful. The videos (on Youtube) indicate that its more for long term relief, but so far the short term relief seems good. UPDATE: July 24, 2010: Found what this is best for...I noticed that every time I'd use it (sometimes twice in a row) that I would sleep really well...I hadn't realized how a stiff neck keeps you awake. So now I use it regularly just to sleep more relaxed. After using this and being more able to do 'core exercises' in bootcamp, I'd reclassify myself as someone who doesn't have back problems, or at least 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. The 'Sarge' at Bootcamp has been convinced by some back surgeon that what he needs is to have his spine fused...I gave him the brochure for this and hoping he'll try it instead or at least get some chiropractic advice...me, I'm going with this!
on February 1, 2010
The machine seems to help my wife who has had back problems for a long time. She admits it may be psychological but it does seem to help her and that is enough. Anything that relieves the pain is worth the price we paid for this machine. The research we did before buying the product were all the way from it is a fraud to it is wonderful, so we took a chance and it seems to have paid off for her.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2010
My Dr. recommended this after Physical Therapy and muscle relaxants did not work. The next step was epidural injections into my spine for pain. What I really wanted was something to solve or at least offset what was causing the pain. He said alot of his patients had good results with this machine and it was worth a try. Of course, I thought could something from t.v or Bed Bath and Beyond (they sell them there too) really help this incredible pain? WELL, IT DID!!!

It's simple spinal decompression---gently lifting and removing stress off the low spine. The first week I used it, I felt relief. the second week was even better, and the third week...Wow! Now maybe it was a fluke, butI really don't think so since my husband was curious and used it with the same results. Plus, the results were so obvious--much of the pain reduced (70%), I didnt' have to stuff towels/pillows under my back to sleep, and my hips are not tight. WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY!

Here are my tips....I first set it according to my height as instructed, but found my rear not moving at all, so I set it a little higher, then it lifted slightly just fine. Now I set it much higher for a nicer effect. Also, if I hooked my legs over top and sort of "hung on" gently with my legs instead of doing absolutely nothing, I would get more of a stretch. For the folks on here who felt nothing, I bet they did not set it high enough, and did not "hang on" with their legs.

I bought one for my sister, and my friend who got one is also experiencing relief. Please note that you must use very good body mechanics when getting down/up from the floor. Also..if you get down on the floor into position and the machine is too far away, do not be tempted to wiggle up to the machine....bring it towards you with your hands, then put your legs over top.

Feel welcome to email me with any questions. I am so happy I found this!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been diagnosed with "genetically wimpy shoulders" and then four back-to-back pregnancies resulting in gigantic babies completely destroyed my lower back, leaving me with a bad case of diastasis recti. The cure for that? An adomnioplasty, aka non-insurance unaffordable covered 'tummy tuck'. I wear a very attractive tummy binder like a UPS man as much as I can because I have zero core strength due to my lack of abdominal muscles, since they were SPLIT IN TWO AND SEPARATED FROM MY SPINE BY MY BULGING UTERUS, but insurance won't fix that, cause you know, it's COSMETIC.

But I'm not bitter.

Therefore, I am in pain pretty much all the time. I'd love to run to my chiropractor once a week, but did I mention we have four kids? And our money tree was blown down during Hurricane Ike.

I saw this at Costco and decided to give it a try, since Costco has a wonderful return policy and $150 is a lot less than the 6K a plastic surgeon wants. What have I got to lose?

I did it last night for the first time. Did three sessions in a row while I laid on the floor and watching Judge Judy. I wasn't hopeful. It did not hurt - I'm 40 and in pretty good shape - it just felt weird. I definitely felt something was going on in my lower back. Then I went to bed.

All I know is, for the past three days I have been in severe pain, and this morning, I FEEL GREAT. The pain is GONE. Including my shoulder pain, which was killing me. And I can walk without looking like a UPS man!!

Maybe it's just coincidence...I'm going to keep using it and see. But for now, I'm one happy momma.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...