Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 11, 2012
How to describe Baroness...breathtaking is the first word that comes to mind. Complex, relatable characters, intricate story lines and a fast paced plot full of surprises, plus spiritual insights. I would give it more than 5 stars if I could. I could not put this book down. I have read all of Susan May Warren's books. She's my absolute favorite author and, I have to say, she just keeps getting better. This book is so well written, it just draws you in, you feel like you're right there experiencing everything with the characters. There's not one dull moment in this story. This is an incredible book that you won't regret reading.
on June 3, 2012
Just like Heiress (book one in the Daughters of Fortune series), Baroness was an emotional ride. There was so much sadness, but also some happiness. =)

Baroness is mainly about Lilly (Esme's daughter) and Rosie (Jinx's daughter) and their quest for love/journey in life. While we do see a little of Esme and Jinx, it's not much.

It took me a while to figure out who everyone was in Baroness because it's been a while since I've read Heiress, but after that I thoroughly enjoyed the book - although there were a few times I reread sentences because there was so much detail!

Even though I loved Baroness, at one point I got to where I dreaded reading more because I knew what was going to happen - and I did. not. want. it. to!! However, I also had to keep reading because I needed to see how it would end and I just loved the story!

With another cliff-hanger ending, Baroness, book two in Susan May Warren's Daughters of Fortune series, leaves me anticipating Duchess, book three!

If you like novels like this - that grab your attention and emotions - and don't mind there being some sad moments, than I would definitely recommend it, but first read Heiress (if you haven't already). I think they are best read in order.

*I received this book for free for my review. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. *
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2012
I will admit that when I began this book, I did not really think I would like it. It was historical fiction, but the 1920's did not really interest me. At least, the characters in this book did not interest me. Why would I want to read about flappers in Paris who seemed to care so little for God that they got themselves into all sorts of trouble?

I was wrong. About one third of the way into the book, I had a change of heart. I was interested in Rosie and Lilly, and it was neat to see the stories go back and forth between these two young women. They both did things that amazed me, and they had big-time hardships. And it was clear that this was a time period about which I needed to learn a lot more.

Susan May Warren has written a different type of Christian fiction than I have ever read before. I would call her writing style very realistic and full of raw emotion at times. I was pleased to not have the "happily ever after" ending that so many Christian romances seem to suggest in their stories. Bad things did happen. And not all the main characters even came to trust in God.

The position of God was truly unique in the concept of this book. Even in stories where the Christian message is woven into the fabric of the story, God plays a significant, front-and-center role. God essentially takes a "back seat" in this story, but His influence permeates the stories of Lilly and Rosie.

I was quite pleased when I realized how much research the author must have conducted to write about airplanes and newspapers in such great detail. She truly has a grasp of the time period, and her characters are three-dimensional. In fact, I would say they sometimes jump off the page!

My only concern is that Susan May Warren will not write a sequel. I feel like I must know what happens to the characters. The story ended with my wanting more--much more. I have grown to love the characters, and I will await anything further from the author!

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated in any way, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.
on May 5, 2012
Jazz, air planes, post-WWI, short dresses, bold makeup, gangsters, baseball, tons of jewelry, and flapper dresses. Baroness leaves nothing out in this roaring twenties novel. Susan May Warren is truly a master a capturing an era that few people write about.

I couldn't put this book down. Almost every character jumped off the page! The two main characters, Rosie and Lilly, truly captured the heart. I cried with them, felt joy with them, and cheered as they attempted to reach for more.

The beginning of the novel seemed, at first, to be somewhat a waste of time. Yes, we strolled through the streets of Paris, but when nothing truly developed from the characters' time in Paris, I started wondering why on earth it was in the novel. Of course, Susan May Warren is a wonderful story-teller, and one can rest-assured nothing goes to waste in this story. I love how she walked us through their past rather provide back story.

While this novel is written for adults, I can't help but feel that it should also be a "coming of age" novel. If I were a teacher in school, I opt for this Baroness over The Great Gatsby for required reading.

Now, I have to say something about the title. Baroness. Why is this so cute? When you discover one of main character's final career choice, you can't help but think of the Red Baron. To be honest, I think it's genius!

If you're looking for a novel that is different, gripping, exciting, and historical, then Baroness will leave you not only satisfied, but longing for more. Thank goodness, Susan May Warren has a third one in the series coming out!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, via Litfuse publicity, in exchange for an honest review.
on May 3, 2012
I adored Heiress, and as a result it made my top fiction list for 2011. But I absolutely loved Baroness, so you know it will make my 2012 top fiction list. In my opinion, this story was fantastic because it was so insightful regarding the human heart. The themes were deep, and the characters were so three dimensional, that I couldn't help getting choked up a few times. I cared about the characters and the hard lessons they learned. Who doesn't want to believe that real love can change a person for the good? We're all attracted to danger at some point, and I loved how the author showed why these young women felt unfulfilled and rebellious. It was because of unmet needs in childhood, which wasn't something that they could be protected from no matter how much their parents loved them. Life hurts, and wounded people run from emotional pain. That was brilliantly shown in this book.

The themes in this novel of both physical and spiritual adoption was beautiful, and the lesson about love and commitment going hand in hand was touching as well. There is no worse feeling than deep regret, and when I read stories with this theme, emotion tugs at my heartstrings every time. Forgiving one's self is one of the hardest lessons to learn. So is tasting real love, suffering as the result of poor choices, having the past rear up to bite you when you least expect it, and ultimately watching it destroy innocent people in the end. But when a person sacrifices their own life for someone else's because of a deep, abiding love for them, it always moves me to tears.

There was something very Christ-like about Guthrie that I couldn't help being moved by, and I believe there a little bit of Rosie in all of us; yet because of His deep and unrelenting love, Christ died for us anyway. I loved how this story illuminates universal truths about people, and I appreciated how the author wove a thread of faith through the entire story, and did it so seamlessly. It really pulled everything together. Not to mention that every detail in this story made me feel like I was living in the Roaring 20s... from the clothing, the clubs, and the culture, to the way people interacted with each other. Did I mention the pulse-pounding kisses? Prepare to get breathless a few times and forget that you're reading fiction. I love stories that make me feel like I'm somewhere else.

Real life doesn't always have a happy ending, and the conclusion of this story was bittersweet, but that was what made the last few chapters so emotional for me. Healing takes time. The pacing of this story felt like real life. God is with us even when we don't see Him or feel His presence. I love that Rosie is still learning how to deal with her deep scars from childhood, and how you can see that God is pursuing her despite her determination to run from the pain. It gives me chills just thinking about the potential the author has for this character to learn some important lessons in the future. Bottom line, I love historical fiction, and truth be told, Susan May Warren is a master at crafting it. I can't wait for the next book.
on April 24, 2012
Wow!! What an emotional rollercoaster Baroness takes you on!! It picks up right on where Heiress left off and jumps right in to the lives of Rosie and Lilly. This book is jammed packed full with raw emotions and events that pull at your heart and send you soaring in to the sky!

Both Rosie and Lilly have very different stories that they go through but basically they are in search of the same thing. They are searching for happiness, love and identity within themselves. With their goals being the same the events that they go through are vastly different.

Mostly we are looking at Lilly's life with a little bit of the drama going on with Rosie in the background. Lilly's story just pulled at my heart, especially with the extreme losses she faces and her struggles with trying to figure out who God wants her to be. Her emotions go up and down and you never quite sure how her story is going to conclude.

This historical novel is so fast paced and intense and such an emotional ride that you feel like you can never put the book down. It's a perfect example of how God can take anything broken and hurt and turn it in to a beautiful thing. I have said this before and I will say it again, God makes beautiful things out of us!!
Baroness is the second book in the Daughters of Fortune Series and I'm excited to read the third book about Rosie. While I don't think it's necessary for you to read book one, Heiress, before you read this book, I highly recommend that you do so that you fully understand some of the characters and the background story.

This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers through Litfuse for my copy to review. All opinions are my own.
on April 18, 2012
This is the second book in the Daughters of Fortune series, but it can be read as a stand-alone as it focuses on the generation after the first book; cousins Lilly and Rosie are daughters of the main characters (Esme and Jinx) in Heiress. Like their mothers before them, they have been raised in opulence but they are finding that fortune doesn't insulate them from heartache, loss, or dashed dreams. Set in the Roaring Twenties, this is a captivating book rich with historic detail that generated all sorts of emotions as I read! While the time period of the book is nearly a century ago, there truly is "nothing new under the sun" as Lilly and Rose experience many of the same issues and angst that folks struggle with today. They are truly looking for love everywhere but its Source. I look forward to the final book in this series!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Summerside Press and Litfuse Publicity Group as part of their Blogger Review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on July 14, 2012
Heiress was a decent book, but I never connected with it the way I connected with Baroness. This book absolutely blew me away. What I love about this book is the way it mirrors real life. The story wasn't tied up with a pretty pink bow at the end. The characters were still developing and evolving by the end of the book. I love that the story was spread out over a long period of time and in several countries. There were so many twists and turns. Some events were predictable, but the way they played out were completely unpredictable. It felt so much like a biography on Rosie and Lilly rather than a novel. Every element was so believable, and the culture of the 1920s is completely fascinating.I can't stop thinking about the story, and I'm so beyond anxious for the next book!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Susan May Warren has a knack for bringing historical periods to life. Too many "light" historical novels could just easily have been set in modern times, save for a few scattered details about clothing and pop culture. But Warren does a great job of not just immersing the reader into the Roaring Twenties, but also raising and exploring interesting questions about the era itself. It didn't hurt, of course, from my perspective, that much of the story focused on barnstorming. But even with that interest aside, I enjoyed the characters and their travails (soapy though they occasional were) and found the book the perfect vacationing companion.
on May 1, 2012
I have been waiting for SO long for the second book in Susan May Warren's Daughters of Fortune series!

Well okay, it might have only been a few months, but FEELS like forever...

Heiress (Daughters of Fortune), the first book in the series, was one of those books that you can't stop thinking about, even long after you finish it. When you read a book that amazing, you wonder how in the world can the sequel compare. Let me tell you, Baroness - if at all possible - is even more amazing!

I have said it before, but I love Susan May Warren! She is one of the few authors that I will buy anything they write, without even having to read the synopsis or reviews. I just know it will be good. Make that AMAZING!

Baroness is the second book in her Daughters of Fortune series (but can be read as a stand alone novel). It continues the story of a privileged New York family, who finds that money cannot buy happiness.

Set in the Roaring Twenties, cousins Lilly and Rosie find adventures in Paris, New York and other places along the way, but can't seem to find happiness, true love or the peace they so long for.

As any dreamer, I love books with adventure, daring feats and the mob thrown in for good measure. The romantic in me loves the romance that Paris offers and the history buff (okay, addict) in me LOVES the time period and historical accuracy. Thankfully, I can experience all of this in one great Susan May Warren book! She tells a story like no one else can and Baroness is one book that I will be re-reading in the future and re-living in my head for weeks!

*Fine Print: I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes. The opinions expressed are all mine and I was not required to give a positive review.