Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on January 3, 2014
I got this scope to use at the range a couple times a year, but most of its time will be spent looking at the wildlife behind the home.

The 15X zoom level is very easy to use and focus, however the 40X will be difficult to use for most people.

We have this setup to look over the lake behind the house. It has been placed on a full height tripod that is made for video cameras. This makes it really stable and easy to pan and then lock into place. I did not even try the included plastic tripod.

I have uploaded 3 photos taken with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 comparing the zooms to the normal view. Using the phones camera I was actually able to use the 40X better than I could without phone.
review image review image review image review image
0Comment|120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2011
The Barska Colorado 15-40X50 spotting scope is a real cool looking scope. It's small with a cool looking table tripod and only $28. But that's all that's good. I took it to the range on a cloudy day to sight in a .22 rimfire rifle. First off, the tripod is very flimsy and will not hold the scope for steady image viewing. Any bump on the shooting table will turn the scope into a bobblehead. The scope had practically no eye relief. In my mind, ALL spotting scopes should be built so that it could be used with shooting glasses. At the low end of the zoom, the image is decent. I could see .22 cal holes in targets at 25 and 50 yds. However, when zooming out it is impossible to get sharp focus at 40x on a target at 100 yds. The brightness was fine, I just couldn't make out any bullet holes. The riflescope I was using had a top zoom of 14x and I could barely make out the holes in the target, but yet even at 40x on the Barska spotting scope I can't see a damn thing! I got lots of exercise walking back and forth. Lesson learned on how important good optics are! In addition, when zooming out, the eye relief becomes shallower; you would have to fold back the rubber eyepiece to see the full view. Your eyeball is practically inside the eyepiece! If you only need to see out 50 yds it is adequate, but for shooters it's a waste of time and money.
55 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2011
This is my first spotting scope and for what it is i like it very much. I bought this scope for the range and it works well up to about 100 yd (shooting a .30 cal carbine and a .308 Winchester) but using it to see targets shooting with a .22 cal forget it (holes are to small). The scope is well made and not heavy at all and the optic's are clear. The tripod that it comes with suck's so buy another one (I did) and the carrying case it comes with is ok but it's a tight fit and i don't think the case will last long so i am looking for another one. The scope is good for the range but only if you shoot with large caliber....
on April 19, 2014
I almost left this scope at the range... Many of the reviewers have said the same thing, and I should have trusted them before buying this scope. DO NOT BUY THIS SCOPE. Spend another $50-$70 and get something that actually works.

Reasons not to buy:
-The eye relief is almost non-existent. You practically have to touch your eyeball to the eye piece to see anything... Forget trying to wear eye protection or sunglasses while using the scope
-Terrible image quality past 15x zoom
-Very hard to get a clear picture at even 100 yards. I was using Shoot-N-See targets and could barely make out my hits.

Reasons to buy:
-You need a funny looking paperweight
-Need something crappy for a White elephant gift exchange
on October 24, 2014
Piece of junk the 16x Tasco binoculars at Wal-Mart give a better image.
Save your money & don't waste your time.
Hardly even usable that's how terrible it is.
Box came smashed from the post office cause I used the non rushed, don't waste your time with that either
review image
on October 23, 2013
I bought this spotting scope for the range and I didn't require high magnification due to shooting .22LR and .22WMR 90% of the time. I zero my rimfires at 50 yds so the magnification was sufficient. The image was clear and sharp, but as other reviews mentioned, ditch the included tripod and get a better, more stable one. I personally went with a SLIK Mini II Tabletop Tripod and it's been great. As magnification increases the image will become a little distorted, I noticed at about 30X zoom this occurring. Eye relief is almost non-existent, but I'm not gonna complain too much for the price I paid. Overall, this is a decent spotting scope particularly if you shoot rimfires or handguns, I just not too sure about it's capabilities beyond 100 yards, but for my purposes, I think it's not too bad for the price.
on March 23, 2013
I bought this for when i shoot my rifles and i must say im very impressed with its price to the way its built! It zooms right up on a tack in the target at 150 yards! Quite amazing actually for the price! Very clear seeing through the scope! Recommended buy!!
on April 13, 2012
Not a bad spotting scope for the price. The parallax isn't too bad. The only real bummer is the stand that it sits on doesnt have fine adjustment so i makes it difficult to fine tune what you're looking at.
on February 18, 2013
Very easy on the eyes and has good adjustment needs a better tripod I think but I have extras so I think for the money this is a good purchase.
on June 18, 2012
I'm only addressing the complaints about the tripod. It's a standard tripod for almost any small optical/electronic device. It's steady and adjustable, and doesn't slip out of position. Someone complained that if you bump the table it's resting on, it will throw-off the positioning of your sighting. What would you expect? ...that the item it's holding won't be thrown a little out of it's current position/alignment despite bumping the table it's resting on? Yeah, sure, I also bought an additional clamp-type tripod (for a decent piece of 'change'). But that's for a special purpose. If you are just sighting-in a target, and if you don't knock the table around, you won't have any trouble 'staying on target' with the tripod for this unit.