4.0 out of 5 stars Way Beyond my Expectations
Published on May 30, 2009 by David W. Coble

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor eye relief
PRO: Good optics, clear image even at 60X; focuses fine.

Published 23 months ago by CB FAN

4.0 out of 5 stars Way Beyond my Expectations, May 30, 2009
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
This was my first purchase of a Barska product and I'm mystified at how they can produce such high quality at near give-away prices. I've owned optics from Nikon, Leupold, Minolta, Tasco, Simmons, Bushnell and other companies and Barska products are not merely "okay for the price," they surpass scopes costing much more. I was surprised when I received it with both a high-quality hard case and a cloth case--my first impression was that I would have preferred it if the company had foregone the hard case and put the money into the optics, but the padded lock-box turned out to be a bonus and not an add-on sales gimmick, they didn't compromise on the scope quality.

I needed a new spotting scope for rifle and pistol targets and honestly expected little from a zoom scope at this price range--I prefer fixed optics but needed at least 50x power to spot at 500-1000 yards and figured this would be adequate for seeing holes in paper. All I can say is, "Damn." Not only can I spot at 1000 yards, I can zoom in on a power pole a block away from my home and see a crisp, view-filling image of the serial numbers on the transformer box. The focus at 60x is stretching it--the useful magnification is more like 55x--but that's also the case with many pricier scopes...back it off a quarter turn from max power and the image becomes crisp and clear. The light capture doesn't match a $1000 Zeiss or Fujicon, nor is the focus crystal-sharp at maximum power, but how can anyone criticize that in a fifty-buck product? It's rubber-armored, the adjustments have the feel of a quality instrument, there's no chromatic aberration or distortion until about 50x, the ergonomics are excellent, the construction is bullet-proof and the 60mm field of view is generous both on the range and off.

For nature hiking and even star-gazing it's light enough to sling over my shoulder and forget about it, less cumbersome and heavy than high-power binoculars I generally leave at home. It's handy enough to tuck into a knapsack and rewarding enough that it's worthwhile going to the hassle of toting a full-size telescoping tripod on day hikes. I tuck it into my ditty bag for boating on Puget Sound to watch whales, seals, other critters and boat traffic and cheap enough that I don't worry about salt water spray and can hand it off to kids and enjoy watching them get a kick out of it without a lump in my throat. It has survived being dropped, doused with salt water and saturated with spilled beer.

Just to see if it was a fluke I dropped all of $30 on a pair of fixed-power Barska 10x50 binoculars and was equally impressed--they're better than my Nikons.

My experience with both Barska products is that you get way more than you pay for--they're not toys and while not as breath-taking as top Japanese and German optics, they're more than adequate for crisp and clear spotting and recreation. What's more important to me is that they get USED--I don't think twice about tossing them into into a day pack or my van just in case they come in handy, and if they get busted or lost I'll be disappointed but won't shed any tears, I'll just replace them with new Barskas. Next up is a rifle scope--I've looked through one at the range and it's as good or better than my Leupold.

In summary, them Russkies are turning out useful and rewarding gizmos for chump change. Those who say differently don't know optics--apparently they expect to see the rings of Saturn and don't understand the basic physics and limitations of light magnification. I've had the opportunity to use use truly fine scopes and binoculars and once you've seen professional quality you get kinda spoiled and judgemental. That said, I can't call Barskas magnificent but I can say that you're not going to see much more with a $1000 instrument than you'll see with this. I'm not Bill Gates so I have to make do. If you're considering a scope in the under-$150 range this is better than most of 'em and only runs $55--don't give it a second thought, unless you opt for the next one up the line with the prism eyepiece that's handier with the tabletop tripod (I'd look up the model number but if I leave this page I'll loose this message).

5.0 out of 5 stars Barska 20-60X Spotting Scope, July 2, 2010
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
I have found this Scope to be in a class by itself. I really had few anticipations about it being above mediocre, as I've had a number of similar products in the past. When it arrived, & I tested the focus, it seemed to be too easy to operate, thus, perhaps a little on the cheaply-made side. So, for funnsies, I set it up on my porch, and cranked the magnification all the way up, as a 'trial by fire'. Looking at some vegetation more than 100M away, I found I could clearly see the veins in some leaves that were actually only about 1-1/2" X 1" in size. The resolution was outstanding! I think this scope has been my best-ever investment in range optics for both quality of vision as well as depth of field. I would definitely recommend this scope to anyone interested in good long-distance target verification or similar applications.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor eye relief, October 2, 2012
CB FAN (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
PRO: Good optics, clear image even at 60X; focuses fine.

CON: Eye relief is a major problem. Folding back the flexible rubber part on the front of the eyepiece helps a bit but anyone wearing eyeglasses or eye protection (required if you're at a shooting range), will experience major tunnel vision. Only when placing your naked eye directly against the eyepiece (I don't mean near the eyepiece; I mean directly against it) will the full field be visible. Otherwise, it is like looking through a tiny pipe at your target resulting in seeing only a tiny portion of the center of the field (like tunnel vision). To use it at the shooting range will mean removing protective eyewear every time you want to look through the spotting scope. Possible: yes. Annoying: definitely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, March 22, 2009
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
Good Scope for the price. Took this with me to the lake and was able to bring a kingfisher at about 275 yrds away close enough to to see it in full detail. Would have been 5 stars but the tripod is definitely a cheapo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barska 20-60X60 Spotting scope, December 5, 2010
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
Great scope, I returned a Leupold 20-60X80 because It was not clear enough to see my impact point on my sight in target @ 100 yards with a 300 win mag, this scope is definately and suprisingly clearer than the Leupold

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT..., November 29, 2010
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
If you don't read past my first sentence...moral of the story, this scope is GREAT! I came across this scope while researching spotting scopes for the range. Before finding this scope, I was dead set on spending $200 for a different one. After reading the reviews and seeing the price, I took the plunge and purchased this one. I was definitely skeptical given how inexpensive it was. All my skepticism went right out the window as soon as I went to the range. WOW, this scope is GREAT! I use it primarily on the 50 & 100 yard outdoor range, shooting 556/223 ammo. This scope picks up the target and the bullet holes clear as day. AWESOME buy for the money; quality I would have expected from a scope that would cost hundreds of dollars more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive optics for the price!!, October 5, 2010
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
I was looking for a good scope that could give me a clear picture of .223 rounds at 100 yards and this exceeded my expectations by far. This scope has a nice non slip texture to it and despite what someone people say I feel has a good tripod for the weight it has to hold up. It has a regular tripod base so you can use a large tripod if you feel the need. This is a very light scope but feels strong and focusing is easy while holding it. I highly recommend this to anyone shooting within 100 yards no matter what caliber your shooting, after 100 yards I can't say since I am yet to go to a range with a greater distance but I'm sure it would do great even at 200 yards.

2.0 out of 5 stars Scope works, but it is not the model that was advertised, April 14, 2009
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
I ordered and received the spotting scope. It was not the one they advertised. It works OK. Resolution is crystal clear on .50 cal holes at 100 yds, so I imagine that it will do well at at least 200 yds on smaller holes. That is not why I rated it so low.

The listing refers to this being a "Blackhawk spotter". This is a particular Barska model that, per the listing, has rubber armoring, a sunshade, and BaK-7 prisms for optics. I thought that this was an extraordinary deal, since Amazon had this scope listed for $109 and this one from Sportsmans Guide was $60 including shipping.

The scope I received is a "Colorado" with none of those features. When I contacted Sportsmans Guide, they said that they made a mistake. They did not have the Blackhawk. They promised to change the listing and did send a return label. I waited to see if they had changed the listing before rating the product. They have not.

This was a classic bait and switch. Even with the return, I would be inconvenienced by looking for another scope. I decided it was not worth it. I plan to do no more business with Sportsmans Guide. Be aware that if you order this scope, the one you get is probably worth the money, but it will be different from the listed product.

2.0 out of 5 stars I want to hate it... but it's got its good points, January 7, 2013
Scott Johnson (West Babylon, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
I got this scope after reading review after review. I felt like I had made a good choice. After it came in, I inspected the build quality and it seemed pretty good. The tripod is crap, but another hobby of mine is photography, so I have a really sturdy camera tripod I use at the range. The scope never made it to the included tripod.

So I get it to the range the next day, and try to adjust the zoom. The knob seemed kind of stiff. After I finally managed to turn it, I realized that the whole fitting turned. That's not supposed to happen!!! I didn't think it was changing the zoom, but after getting my buddy (who is also the range officer) to have a look at it, he noticed that it was actually changing the magnification. The focus knob is really easy to turn, ironically.

So, I was (and still am) bent on returning it, but decided before I get another scope, I want to try out some options. Now I've become the annoying guy at the range asking everyone to try out their scope. What I've found is that this scope is pretty good optically. It also has decent eye relief compared to other ones in the same price range. I know other's have complained about the eye relief, but I can see through mine with no problem at all, even with bulky safety glasses on.

If it weren't broken, I'd probably give it 5 stars. This is the 2nd Barska product I've received that was defective. I'll very likely never buy another product by that name again.

UPDATE: I ordered another one of these thinking that maybe I just got a bad one. Well, now I have a bad two. I didn't even take the new out completely out of the box. Just enough to see that this one does EXACTLY the same thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fine for Signting-in at 100 Yards, May 8, 2013
Peter (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope (Sports)
You want a spotting scope to sight-in your rifle at 50 yards or 100 yards. You don't want to pay a ton of money. It's not the kind of thing you use everyday, but it's nice to have your own... so you don't have to always borrow.

That's what I was thinking a week ago. I bought this scope and took it to the range. Spent a few hours Sunday working with it.

It's a perfectly fine scope for this purpose. Clear enough, sharp enough to see .223 holes on BLACK bullseyes (not the best choice, but I forgot the darn Redfield sighting-in targets). Easily see .223 on tan and white of course. The included stand is definitely stable enough.

For the money, it's very nicely made. I zoomed out to about 20x to use at 50 yards (I shot some nice groups, if I don't say so myself). I zoomed down to about 55x for use at 100 yards.

If you're looking for a scope for the range, unless you're very fussy, I don't think you'll be disappointed with this scope. I know I wasn't. I'd definitely recommend it for others who have a similar need.

BARSKA Colorado Waterproof Spotting Scope