4.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the Hype
I've had this now for a few months and I like it.
Great scope for the price.
I'm using it on a Flat Top AR, and it fits perfectly, glass and crosshairs look good and crisp.
The controls are fairly easy to use, if you plan to do a lot of doping with the scope then you might want to go to higher end controls.
The rings use a screw on the side so you can...
Published on June 24, 2008 by Brazen_atl

3.0 out of 5 stars Great scope that I feel is underrated....until now.
Published on May 15, 2010 by Efrem Frias

3.0 out of 5 stars Great scope that I feel is underrated....until now., May 15, 2010
This review is from: BARSKA 3-9x42 IR Contour Riflescope (4A Mil-Plex IR 7/8" Picatinny Base) (Sports)
I picked this scope up for my S&W M&P-15 and couldn't be happier with it. I slapped it and had it pretty much zeroed out within 10-15 shots. On a windy day,I can still hit 3-5 inch groupings from 50-100 yards out, which is pretty good. So,if you're looking for something to give you just a bit more range and can't afford some of the bigger names in the rifle scope world, I'd recommend this one. It comes with everything you're going to need to mount it, either for a picatinny rail or sks, which is pretty cool. The optics are clear and crisp, the illumination is nice and adjustable which you won't find on most scopes under 100 dollars. My only advice would be use some lock tight for the upper mounting screws, especially if you're going to be using this on larger caliber. So, what are you waiting for? Pick one up, slap it on and get to shooting!!

Well, Its been about a year now and I've now gone through two scopes. I bought through Cabelas and I'm lucky I purchased their extended protection plan. The first scope illumination dial busted and wouldn't light up. No big deal right? Well, i replaced it and had the 'new' scope was great for a few sessions and then the yardage dial broke. After this, I couldn't stay with the product any longer. From recoil alone the scope would just break. I really do like this scope...but it's just proved to me that it is simply unreliable. I apologize to anyone who I might have misled with my first review of this scope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the Hype, June 24, 2008
I've had this now for a few months and I like it.
Great scope for the price.
The rings use a screw on the side so you can take on and off as it pleases you.
I would recomend lock tighting the the screws (or at least use a screwdriver to get it super tight) so the screws don't losen up as you shoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good So Far!, January 9, 2007
I bought this scope to install on my SKS rifle. I mounted it with a DC Engineering/Rifletech scope mount and was getting about 2" groups at 100 yards. I have only shot about 50 rounds through it so far, but have been very pleased with the quality of it. I used it to drop a 6-Pointer within 10 minutes of the opening day of gun season in KY this year!

I haven't tried the bullet-drop turret yet, but with it being calibrated to the .223 round, I imagine it won't do very good without customizing the turret for the 7.62x39 round. I think that it is well worth the money, and lifetime warranty to boot! Oh, and by the way, it comes with rings already mounted on it, so don't go out and buy any for it before it shows up like I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Scope, September 20, 2010
I have this scope mounted on my M&P 15-22 and it's very nice. Very clear, crisp and compact. Never tried one on a caliber higher then .22LR so I cant say how well it will stand up to recoil but on a .22LR or similar round with almost no recoil its great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Scope, September 17, 2010
First I have to say..this is a good looking scope for an AR platform. Small and compact. Looks tactical. As with any scope of this price range, the rings are not of the best quality. This set stripped out pretty quickly from tightening and when I notified Amazon, I can honestly say..they immediately sent a new one..(a whole new set-up..scope and rings) within 2 days via Fed Ex and sent via email a pre-paid UPS label to send back the old scope. Fast..GREAT service! I was totally impressed. Back to the scope. It was very simple to zero in...the windage was spot on and the elevation was about three inches high at 25 yards. 5 or 6 rounds later, I had it dead on. The optics are not as clear as I would like to see, but they more than suffice for most applications that I use. You can spend about $150 more and get much..much better optics which would be valuable to anyone, but if you are looking for a nice inexpensive scope that you can plink or target practice with, it's a great scope for that. I think if I were to be target or varmint shooting at long yardages over 100 yards, I would want a bit clearer optics, but again..for less than $80 shipped...I'm am totally happy with the scope. I put a small riser under the scope to raise it a bit and it just looks good and performs very well..and again..."ESPECIALLY" for less than $80

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., July 9, 2008
At magnification from 3 to about 6 this scope functions reasonably well. Magnifications above 6 result in a decreasing tunnel of clear focus. To me this is very disturbing visually. The scope appears relatively well-made; however, the optics are poor. The addition of illumination on this scope is overkill when the optics aren't up to presenting a clear picture of the target.

4.0 out of 5 stars Barska 3-9x42 Mounted on a DPMS Panther M4, October 27, 2008
Graham Stevens (Williamsburg, VA) - See all my reviews
Ordered on Monday and received the scope from Sportsman's Guide on Friday. My DPMS M4 AR-15 has a removeable carry handle, so this sight works just fine for me. All the features, range and trajectory adjustments are tight. No slop here. Comes with rings mounted. On mounting, I discovered that the illumination feature did not work. I switched batteries and still no luck. Although the sight is made in China... it is well constructed for a $59 sight. Called Sportsman and they will send out a UPS return label... Customer service with Sportsman was very professional. Meanwhile I'm ordering another unit and hope it will work. Only down side is time spent waiting and not shooting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best scope for the money and for starters., May 8, 2010
I just got this scope. Mounted on my Bushmaster M4 without any difficulty and I was able to test the optics. Zooming in and out of the target is good. Eye relief is also not bad. I am taking it to the range shortly and test how quickly and easily it zeroes in. Overall I am very happy with my purchase and do highly recommend this product to anyone who is starting out in the RifleScope world.

UPDATE:
I have shot over 800 rounds using this scope. Zeroing in the scope took sometime, it was either way off or maybe my experience with this type of scope. But once I got it Zeroed it shot very accurately at both 50 and 100 yards. The only problems I experienced with this scope are the rings. The screws/nuts on the rings are worthless. They loosened up every few 100 rounds and messed up the Zero. I finally replaced the rings with a AR15 QR Weaver Mount/ Cantilever Scope Mount Rear Ring/30mm and 1" Inserts. Now the scope does not move and maintains its zero. I still highly recommend this as beginners' scope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong at this price! :), June 4, 2010
I got this scope for my flat top AR-15 and have just got back from the range after putting 200 rounds through. I mounted the scope to an NCStar quick release riser, which then goes on the top receiver rail. As this scope has long eye relief (4 inches+), it is also handy if your riser extends forward a bit (as mine does); I found the best position for it was the NC Star riser to the front of the receiver rail, then the scope to the front of the riser rail. YMMV, but if you are like me and tend to get your head forward for a decent cheek-weld, you'll probably want to do the same. No chance at all of this thing ever hitting you in the eye, it really does have a ton of eye relief!

Zeroed it in at 100 yards - it was way off for a start, but quick and easy to adjust. Once zeroed, off a bipod, I shot three 20 round groups and was able to put on average 15 of 20 rounds onto a 3 inch target patch, each time - excellent (using 6x or 9x zoom)! Zero appears to be holding well, but we shall see next time.

If there is a downside (and I find its the same with all these cheapie scopes), the 1/4" adjustments do NOT mean 1/4" :) You basically have to trial and error crank those dials to adjust your point of impact. Precise it ain't but once on, you are on and I found that it even held zero fairly well when zooming through the range all the way 3x to 9x.

It was very side-windy and gusting today, so I did not bother stretching the distance out further - will do that next time out, but very happy so far!

1.0 out of 5 stars It lasted just beyond the Amazon return window..., June 23, 2012
What this scope might be suitable for: You might as well just light your money on fire...

Other glowing reviews for this scope...you guys just haven't put yours to the test yet...

This scope lived on my AR15 during May & June 2012 and worked out OK...until I tried it out on my AKS-762 (factory packaging says the IR Contour is perfect for .223/.556 or 7.62x39 rifles). On about the fifth shot mounted on my AKS, something flurped inside with the lenses and the scope went into "permanent blur mode". It would now make a nice maraca as the lenses have all dislodged from their mounting positions and make a clackity-sound when I shake it. Amazon's return policy expired just two days ago... :(

UPDATE: Emailed with Barska customer service about a warranty repair. Barska wants a check for $25 to accept it for RMA so they can inspect, repair/replace, and cover the shipping back to me! Honestly, there's something fundamentally wrong when a company burdens YOU to offset THEIR costs for warranty service. Burned & lesson learned. Never again a Barska based on the warranty terms alone. F-L-U-S-H! $80 down the toilet after 2 months of service.

Seriously, do yourself a favor if you're looking to equip a "real rifle", pass by Barska products quickly and instead, consider proven offerings from Nikon, Burris, or Vortex. They are engineered better all-around, from handling recoil to better hardware to higher quality glass with better coatings. Real tools are more expensive for a reason and I've learned that you really get what you pay for when it comes to optics.