Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

on October 28, 2013
So, jaileigh, ugggg, and Kate are dragging this down. High schoolers?

I am an English teacher. I came across this video while taking a Shakespeare class in my Masters program; my strategy was to read along with the BBC audio play and annotate as I went. Then I would watch the BBC video version of the plays. Then I would write whatever I was supposed to write about, usually a 10-15 page paper. I would review the play and search for things using a combo of the book and the video. This was a class that was all about scholarly exploration of the plays on a fairly deep level. My plan worked for me. A key part of what worked was having this video; the true to the text interpretation, no frills costuming and props, and scant creativity with regards to cinematography make it ideal for viewing as a work of Shakespeare. The fluff and glitz of other versions take away from the words and the meanings. If you are looking for a Hollywood version of the play, this is not it. If you are looking for a true and honest rendering of the content of the play, this is for you.

For use in the class: To start we read I.i-ii. using the audio only from this and then the kids translate these two scenes. Then we watch the first two scenes using this version and discuss the quality of video with relation to the play itself. We then complete Act I and complete several other activities, including a quote activity called 'Who said that and where, and what do they mean?' Then we watch the whole of Act I using this video. After that, with regards to viewing, we mix it up by watching several other adaptations as we continue through the play. And that is that...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2004
I thought this production did an admirable job on its stated intent: to make a production of MacBeth in easy to understand American accents and produce it as a play of this type would have been produced in the 16th century. The stageing is simple, with very few props, all action is done in one space. Costumes are rough, as they must have been in Shakespeare's time, with emphasis on acting and language. Most actors have American accents, with MacBeth (Jeremy Brett) using a modification of his upper class English accent. His diction is outstanding, and, as in his other performances, his language/voice gifts are prodigious as is his emotional range. It is a pleasure to get to watch such a versatile actor perform in such a wide range of moods, and he does all extremely well. The actor who plays MacDuff is also very good. This is an emotional and very dark play. Some people don't care to have their emotional experience expanded. If you are looking for something very traditional, straight and boring, this play (production) may not be for you. The American actors do not rise to the challenges of the beauty of the English language as well as the Brits in the production do. I'm a big fan of Shakespeare and would recommend this production to any serious student to get a fine idea of what a great actor can do with a challenge like this play.

Doris Wimber
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2014
I had to search to find this version of Macbeth. Nicole Williamson absolutely nailed it. It is true to text as previously stated by bethany hamilton-jones. If you want to see a good "movie" then move on. If you want to see a true to text play with great acting this is the one. Wish I could give it a 10.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Ambrose video 1984. Part of "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" Produced by the BBC & Time-life Films. Produced by Shaun Sutton. Directed by Jack Gold.

There are many versions of this production and several beautifully illustrated and annotated books. Everyone has their favorite. Yet the only way to be a true favorite is to watch other versions.

This just happens to be one of my favorites as the actors do not outshine the characters. This is close to a minimalist stage production. This is close enough to the writing that it makes for a good classroom presentation.

It is best to know the story before watching the presentation. It starts out with three witches that tell a Scottish general Macbeth that he will become king. Macbeth's wife eggs him on as suggesting that he kill the existing ruler and cousin Duncan to move the process forward. Little did Macbeth and Lady Macbeth (or we for that matter) suspect at the time that they would encounter more blood and supernatural forces to correct the situation.

You may find this a tad more layered than you think as we must decide if the hero Macbeth is really the bad person as suggested by Malcolm and Angus.

Do not over look the politics of the time as they are sometimes overlooked in other presentations.

We also get some or our best quotes as in Act IV, Scene 1" Double, double toil and trouble, fire burn, and cauldron bubble"

Macbeth (Signature Shakespeare)
on February 18, 2013
Very accurate to the original written story line. Flawlessly reenacted to give a perfect representation of Shakespeare's play that will mystify for generations to come.
on November 13, 2014
Excellent rendition of Shakespeare's play. Suitable for high school British Lit classes, and those who enjoy Shakespeare.
on April 16, 2015
Just finished watching this with my senior literature class. It was a good production that was fairly true to the actual play. I will warn people that Lady Macbeth's first scene pushes the boundaries of what is appropriate in a high school class. I am teaching in Utah, so my opinion might be skewed by the more conservative viewpoints that are here.
The sound quality is not the best, but that might have been my stereo system.
on October 9, 2015
I am 15 years old and am absolutely in love with Shakespeare. This is one of the best Macbeth productions I've seen so far. The reason this isn't acclaimed is because of production value and how Lady Macbeth was more sexual than they thought she should be. But in my opinion, Lady Macbeth should be sexy. How else would she convince her husband to murder somebody? It adds to the play. The acting, in my opinion, was amazing. At times it was rough but those times were rare and it didn't take away from the production at all. Shakespeare's words were handled with care by the actors and no words were slurred to make it hard to follow. This is a million times better than the Orson Welles version which I had such a hard time getting through. In my opinion, if you're gonna do a Shakespeare movie, do it with love for the text. Don't cut things or change things. That's why this version is so great. I would definitely recommend this for anybody who is a fan of Shakespeare. But if you're looking for a high budget movie with on location scenes, this isn't for you.
on March 10, 2015
I believe this is the play in its entirety, and is well-acted. It is a traditional interpretation and good for the classroom.
on September 3, 2014