on September 15, 2009
First of all, I really love this thermometer and all that it has to offer. The continuous beeps really do help to know that the thermometer is in the proper position. It normally takes me less than 30 seconds to get a reading and its great that it beeps when its done. The memory recall feature is definitely a plus, esp. when I'm still too drowsy to remember the temp, and the back light feature is equally great. I think this is one of the only thermometers with a backlight. I've been using it with success for the FAM for almost two years now. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

I've been reading the complaints that people have and a lot of them aren't valid or easily solved. Here they are:

PROBLEM 1: This thermometer can't be used as a basal thermometer or to track fertility because it doesn't record to the 1/100th (like 97.39) of a degree.

Answer: FALSE!! Tony Weschler, states in her latest edition "Taking charge of your fertility", a groundbreaking book on the subject of the Fertility Awareness method (and in turn NFP)--just look at the reviews on it here on amazon, on page 76 "Also, it is imperative that it be accurate to within 1/10th degree F. (for example, 97.4), BUT DO NOT USE THOSE THAT MEASURE TO WITHIN 1/100TH of a degree (for example, 97.47) since the latter are unnecessary and confusing." (emphasis added)
-------
PROBLEM 2: The beeps are WAY too loud. They annoy me and wake up my spouse.

Answer: I personally don't find them to be too loud and neither does my husband, but if you do, on the back of the thermometer there is a small hole for the sound. When you're taking your temperature. Simply take your thumb and lay it straight down the back side of the thermometer while it is in your mouth, so that the hole is covered up. I found that this will SIGNIFICANTLY decrease the volume to a quiet, muffled, beep. You can even wrap your index finger around the top part of the thermometer (where it says BD) to give your your thumb some more resistance to press up against, muffling the sound some more.
-------
PROBLEM 3: The back light doesn't come on when it's done taking my temperature.

Answer: When it's done taking your temperature, press the button to turn off the thermometer. The back light will turn on again, revealing your temperature before it shuts off.
-------
PROBLEM 4: For the memory recall feature, the reading doesn't stay on long enough for me to be able to record the reading, and then it is erased.

Answer: When you turn the thermometer on, your last temperature will be displayed for about 4 seconds. If you turn the thermometer off again before it starts taking a new temperature (when it starts to flash), your temperature will actually still be stored on the recall feature. So when you turn it on again next time, it will still be there and continue to be there however many times you do this. Also if the 3 seconds you had before you pushed the off button weren't enough for you to see your temperature, you'll notice that you'll get an extra 5 sec's to read your temp when you press the off button before it finally shuts off.

I hope this helps!
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 24, 2007
As much as a person could love a BBT thermometer, I love this one. This is the only digital basal thermometer I've ever found that has a backlight. Plus, it has a quiet beep every 7 seconds or so that tells you it is still working (so you don't lay there with it in your mouth doing nothing). Both are great for taking temps while it is still dark.
on December 7, 2007
First, I see Amazon has this listed at $29.99 which is crazy- shop around because I got it around $12 shipped. This BBT is beat by none!

Pros:

BACKLIGHT! From what I've read and researched this is the ONLY backlit BBT (which seems like such a 'duh' thing but it's not standard)

Only 10th of a degree to mess with- no worries to the 100th

Accurrate! I've tested it against 2 others and it is completely right on

Beeps to let you know it's working

Fairly quick

Cons:

Beep is rather loud- if you're a co-sleeper or not wanting to wake the hubby this make be a bothersome point... if you're temping half-asleep though it's a complete asset

All in all I'd recommend it over any other. I've tried 5 total and this one stands in a league of it's own.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 3, 2009
Basal Digital Thermometer / B001AM43VY

I bought this Basal thermometer with the idea that I would chart my cycle, learn about my own body, and eventually use that knowledge to conceive with my partner. The thermometer was not too expensive and the reviews were largely good, so I made my purchase and downloaded my free Basal charts from the Internet and went my merry way. Several weeks later, I have to say that I wish I'd bought a "regular" thermometer at the drug store.

Here is what this thermometer is purported to do: You wake in the morning, and with as little movement as possible (no getting up to use the bathroom, no fumbling for lights, no turning off the alarm clock) you grab the thermometer and go to work. This brand advertises that the thermometer won't start beeping until it is 'correctly positioned' in your mouth (this much seems to be true) and will then beep intermittently for several minutes before punctuating a string of beeps to announce that it is finished. This model is supposedly superior to other brands on the market because it is backlit and has a memory recall function - we'll get to that in a moment.

On accuracy, this thermometer seems to be correct - at least, it always agreed with the "regular" thermometer we keep in the house. (The "regular" thermometer costs less than this Basal one and has a comfortable, flexible tip as opposed to the rigid plastic on this one.) The temperature reading only goes to one decimal, which was fine for my downloaded chart, but some Basal charts require two decimal accuracy.

As far as reliability, the thermometer works sometimes and other times it will not. The beeping just...stops after awhile, without the final readout and without the punctuated string of beeps. Did the thermometer slip out of position and just give up? I don't know, and the instructions provided do not address this issue. Some days, I would have to reset the thermometer and try two or three times before getting a reading which I suspect would then be inaccurate because I was no longer "just woken up".

The beeping is an issue, and I really thought it would not be. My partner did not much like the shrill beeps anymore than I did, and you are subjected to at least 13 or 14 beeps every morning (more if you have to do multiple readings). The "a baby won't be quiet either" excuse didn't ease either of our minds because this was a information gathering experiment, not an active baby making attempt.

Worst of all, I cannot imagine why the backlight is touted as a selling point when it is implemented so poorly. The backlight comes on once, when you first turn on the thermometer. The backlight glows for about 2 seconds (very short) and then cuts off. It takes at least a full minute to measure your temperature, at which point you have 3 seconds to read the temperature (again, a very short time) WITHOUT A BACKLIGHT before the thermometer shuts off. Read that again - the backlight does not come back on for the final temperature reading; it only comes on when the thermometer is turned on initially. That means that your new temperature for the day is not backlit, so you have no idea what your temperature is for that day until after you take your temperature, and THEN turn the thermometer back on so that you can see what went into the memory recall function. Even better, you only get ONE chance at this, since the act of turning the thermometer on signals that it's time to take a new temperature, which erases the old temperature in memory, so you really shouldn't check our temperature reading until you've slogged out of bed, turned on a light, and located your chart and pen.

And, yes, you read that right - this "sophisticated" model has only ONE button for all the "features", including backlight, temperature reading, and memory recall.

In practice, this is impossible to use. If I can't have proper memory recall and backlighting, I'll stick with the cheaper, more comfortable, silent drug store thermometer. I wanted backlighting so that I could tell, in the dark, in the bed, if I was ovulating and - if so - to maybe do something about that.

~ Ana Mardoll
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2009
I bought this thermometer for ovulation charting because it was supposed to be the "best". I had been using a CVS brand thermometer that was accurate but took FOREVER to get a reading. So I was really looking forward to the quick readings this one promised. Alas - here's the breakdown:

The Good: It beeps every 4 seconds so long as you have it in the right spot in your mouth. If the consistent beeping stops, you've opened your mouth or moved it so you know you need to turn it off and start over. I like this feature at 6AM when I'm half asleep and have the tendency to fall asleep and move the thermometer. The beeps don't bother my husband, but he is a hard sleeper. It also has an amazingly quick read-out time. It takes under a minute if you have it in the right spot.

The Bad: The accuracy is poor. It only has a readout to 1 decimal place (most basal thermometers have 2). It has also been giving me wildly erratic readings. I've been charting for years so I'm pretty diligent about doing it first thing in the morning, at the same time, without moving. There's nothing that should be causing such erratic temperatures, especially when the beeps are indicating that I'm holding it correctly. I don't know if I just got a defective one or what.

Summary: If it's not accurate, it's worthless, so I'm going back to my old SLOW thermometer :-( I was so excited about this too.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2009
Verified Purchase
I bought this thermometer based on the Amazon reviews. After two weeks of daily use, I think it works perfectly. The beep is quiet enough that it doesn't wake my husband in the morning, and it's easy enough to use that I don't even really fully wake up -- I sort of blindly grope on the nightstand, find it, stick it under my tongue, push the button, and a few beeps later it's done. I can then push the button again later to see my last temp and write it down. Pushing the button doesn't clear the memory, only taking a new temperature does. Good product.
on August 13, 2008
I did a lot of reviewing before buying my BD Basal Digital Thermometer. I wanted something that most of the people liked, that they found it to be easy to use and very basic. I didn't need a lot of bells and whistles. And I am very pleased with this thermometer.

The Good: I like that it is basic. You press a button, it lights up, it beeps to let you know it is ready. You place it under your tongue and wait. It will beep to let you know that it is still working (and for me, keeps me from falling asleep with the thing in my mouth) then it beeps in a different sequence to let you know it is done. When you turn on the thermometer, it has the last temperature taken lit up on the screen. Which is handy if you have fallen back into your coma and failed to write down your temp for the morning.

The Bad: I wake up at 6:15am every morning to do this and my only complaint with it is that it does not light up to give you your temp rating. When it is finished taking your temp, it will beep to let you know, but doesn't light itself up, I usually have to turn my phone on or move my alarm over so I can read it to record the temp.

Some people said the beeping has woken up their partners. And while the beeping is a bit loud, it is not too loud to be distracting. In fact my husband woke the first morning I started using the thermometer, having had a nightmare about a bomb, but now, he tells me, he hardly hears it, if at all.

I would recommend this little guy. It is easy to use, hard to screw up and there is that nice little `fail safe' in case you do forget to write down your temp. With the only problem being the light up screen that doesn't happen, I'm satisfied with the product....until the BD Basal Digital Thermometer 2.0 comes out ;)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
I did NOT receive the item pictured. Instead I received the Nexcare 524560 Basal Digital Thermometer which is supposed to be a "newer" version of this item, but has different functionality -- i.e., it beeps the entire time you are taking your temperature. I will keep the Nexcare item, but I paid more in hopes of receiving the BD thermometer which was reviewed more highly.
Verified Purchase
I use Billings method NFP, but also temp to confirm ovulation as my signs can be confusing at times. I was using a store-brand digital thermometer when I first started charting, and kept wondering why my temps were always so low. THEN, I lost that piece of junk and bought the BD. It is way faster and more accurate - and I have no problems now. I like the bright backlight and the "beeps." Only thing is, the beeps may be loud enough to disturb a sleeping spouse. Just something to keep in mind if your husband is a light sleeper! I also wish the backlight would stay on while the thermometer is taking your temperature.
on September 19, 2009
Verified Purchase
Though I've never before bought or used a basal thermometer, and thusly have no comparison, this one has been accurate and reliable. The beeping function is definitely a plus- keeps you awake first thing in the morning for the 20-60 seconds or so that it takes, and lets you know it's working. To lessen the sound, I just cover the end of it (where the noise comes from) with my hand so as not to disturb my hubby or baby. Sometimes there are only 8 beeps before it's finished, sometimes as many as 13.
I definitely like that it has the recall function of the last temp. recorded, since I don't usually get right up to write down my temperature. The only thing I wish that it did would be to light up when the temp. is finalized, the way it lights up when you first turn it on. I'd kind of like to see what my temperature is right at that time. Since I take my temp. before sunrise, there's no light in my room and I wouldn't want to turn on the lamp and wake everyone up. But, it's not really a big deal since it does have the recall function.
In all, a great basal thermometer. Definitely a must-have for FAM!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations