5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Review After Three Days Of Use
I just received this player from Amazon three days ago. There are certain features of this product that exceed my expectation.
1.The Blu-ray disk reading is very fast. This is compared to the Panasonic DMP-DB60 Blu-ray that I had previously. This one is almost 10 times faster than the Panasonic DMP-DB60. I am very pleased by its fast reading capability.
2.You...
Published on May 30, 2011 by Leining Lu

1.0 out of 5 stars Great player
Published on May 4, 2011 by Tacoloft

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Review After Three Days Of Use, May 30, 2011
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
2.You can connect a mass storage device to this machine to the USB port. I initially thought the USB ports were for small storage devices such a flash drive or thumb drive, like many earlier version Blu-ray/DVD players. But after I tried to plug a 500GB external hard drive into it, all the multi-media files on the drive were quickly recognized by the player. The reading was fast. I was pleasantly surprised by that.
3.Besides its high quality video output, the audio output is also very powerful. I connect this player to my "Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System", which is the best PC audio system that I have had so far (perhaps the best in the market). The sound is much more powerful than if the PC output is used. I had to tune the volume down by 1/3 of the normal level so that it won't shake the wall too much.
4.It plays many video formats and supports many codecs. It's the first Blu-Ray/DVD player that plays mkv video file that I've seen in the US market.
Please note that in order to have the subtitle of a video file to be read by the machine, you have to make sure the file name of the subtitle (with the extension of .sub or .srt) must be the same as the video file name. I didn't do that earlier. After I tried to play several video files, I figured it out myself, which made me more pleased with this product. I changed my rating from 4 stars to 5 stars.
I bought this player along with "Samsung UN55D7000 LED TV", which has several USB ports by itself. After a few days of use, I realized that the USB capabilities of this Blu-player and the TV are overlapped. But I was still impressed by the new technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, January 19, 2012
PERFORMANCE
The (high definition) Blu-ray movies played on the DB-D5500 are fabulous. (Standard low definition) DVDs are much clearer than played on my old DVD player. Nothing more needs to be said.

PROS/CONS
1) The BD-D5500 has a loading tray, which encourages proper handling of the disks by the edges. (Many more expensive players are "slot loading")
2) Despite the complaint of one reviewer, it is the standard width (17"), exactly the same as my old DVD player and my receiver.
3) The controls are illuminated, and so, easy to operate even in a dark room, but the controls are identified only by symbols. Seeing in the dark is good, feeling in the dark would be even better---that is, with my old Sony DVD player, the button on the far left was on/off, the button on the far right was open/close---so I did not even have to look at the panel to know what button to push. In my opinion the Sony was more ergonomically designed.
4) The controls are touch (not buttons)---sometimes a quick tap is good enough, sometimes it is not. I greatly prefer the tactile feedback of buttons. I find it very annoying that if I tap too quickly, nothing happens; if I tap too slowly, it "double-reads", e.g. "open-close" and never opens; or "on-off" and never turns on. Note that "tactile feedback" could be supplied by a built-in clicker that you would both hear and feel---simple cheap technology.
5) Although I don't need it, I think that it is absurd that the optional wireless adapter costs as much as the player, when Samsung could surely build-it-in for $5 more.
6) Sometimes the player remembers where you paused a movie, sometimes it doesn't.
[regarding this: the following is a comment to a different review that I copied here.]
"J. Stewart says: This is not an issue unique to this player but the blu-ray format in general. You can't compare it to other DVD players because, again, the issue is specific to blu-rays. I bet you will find, for example, that the 5500 DOES remember where your conventional DVD's left off, just not your blu-ray discs. This has to do with the way the Blu-ray association defined the format and use java for the menus and features. Super dumb I know. The oldest discs can't remember place at all. Most discs have a middle ground. You can "bookmark" your place before you press stop or power down by using the green button on your remote. Some of the newest blu-rays finally found a way around this and have programmed features into the individual discs to remember place without bookmarking." I have also noticed that the player remembers its place with the newest bluray movies I've purchased.--Stoney
7) Getting the player to play DVDs and Blurays is easy. The "Smart" internet services (e.g., Netflix) etc. are another matter. Assuming the setup process is identical to setting up a Samsung TV for the services---then the process is very frustrating. Entering passwords, codes, etc with the remote is extraordinarily frustrating. That said, from what I've read regarding other brands, most are just as bad. Besides which, you really don't have any choice. Setting up ANY Samsung player will be exactly the same. Setting up a non-Samsung player to work with a Samsung TV will be worse.

GENERAL PROBLEMS
This is the first generation of 3D TVs, players, and movies. These TVs/players are NOT simple "audio-visual components" that you can "mix and match" with impunity. Instead, they are very complex sophisticated computers. They MUST "talk" to each other, and "talk" to your router, and your Internet service. The simplest way to assure that your TV and player "speak the same language" is to match TVs and players of the same brand and generation.

Most of the problems reported by other reviewers sound to me to be:
1) Units manufactured in 2010-2011 which needed firmware updates.
2) Caused by connecting the units to non-Samsung TVs with conflicting settings, or to older TVs which were unable to support some of the player's features.
3) Caused by poor wireless LAN connections. Wireless connections can be very tricky, and are subject to interference from other electronic devices (computers, wireless doorbells, fluorescent lamps, microwave ovens, etc.).
4) Caused by using the wrong cables---specifically either the unfortunately included low-definition component cable (which does not support HD or 3D), or an old HDMI cable which cannot support the most recent features.

If the BD-D5500 were as problem-plagued as many rabid reviewers claim, Amazon would be glutted with hundreds of "refurbished" or "opened box" units at deep discounts---but as of January 2012, there is no glut of "refurbished" DB-D5500s. I have streamed movies (Netflix), played DVD movies and blu-ray movies (including 3D) and have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS.

FIRMWARE UPDDATES
Don't get freaked by the "firmware update"---I did't update my player firmware (because it isn't connected to the Internet and I have had no problems with it), but I did update the firmware in my Samsung D8000 TV. It is as simple and easy as a software update on your computer. If you have an Internet connection (see below), you just go to settings and select "update". That's all. No big deal. (But see "Connection Quality" below, update only when you are sure you have a good connection).

COMPARED TO OTHER BRANDS OF BLU-RAY PLAYERS
Among the Blu-ray players which can fully support the latest TV features (e.g., 3D) I've concluded that the Samsung BD-D5500 player is the best match with recent large Samsung TVs, particularly the 2011 models (e.g., the D8000 series). Compared to other brands, for example:
1) The Samsung TV and player remotes are very similar, and both can control both the TV and the player.
2) If you select the player from the TV source menu, the player automatically turns on and begins play. Alternatively, if you insert a disk in the player (or turn on the player with a pre-loaded disk), the TV turns on with the player set as the "source", and begins play. If you turn off the player, then the source reverts to the TV.
3) Many functions of the player and the TV will sync with each other---you don't have to worry about the player being in one mode while the TV is in a different mode. For example, there are a variety of "picture modes" (which are preset suites of tint, contrast, brighness, sharpness, etc.) called "dynamic", "movie", "natural", etc. on the D8000 Samsung TVs (and probably other recent Samsung TVs). If the "source" is a Samsung player, then the "picture mode" "BDWise" is available. "BDWise" is ALWAYS the best picture---but you do NOT have that option if the TV and player are different brands.
4) The logic of the TV and player is identical, so you only need to learn one system.
5) You don't have to worry about possible conflicting functions which might result from mixing different brand players and TVs. This is particularly a concern with 3D.

Neither the latest Samsung TVs nor Samsung Blu-ray players support Blockbuster or Amazon Instant Movies currently, but may in the near future. While you can get these services on with other brand "smart" players, the best solution for now may be a Roku streamer Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player Alternatively, Internet chatter suggest that you may be able to access these services indirectly though the Internet browser app---but I haven't tried.

COMPARED TO OTHER SAMSUNG BLU-RAY PLAYERS
When comparing Samsung players, DO NOT assume that a higher price or higher-model-number means more features---MOST more-expensive higher-model-# Samsung players have FEWER features than the DB-D5500. For example: the DB-D5700 apparently does NOT support (true) 3D. The DB-D6500 does NOT support simulated 2D to 3D (albeit, you don't need that it if your TV can do the conversion). The Samsung website has a function which compares Blu-ray players, but no function to tell you which features you'll get (or loose) with specific TV-player combinations. Most features are redundant because they are already available on your TV (if it is only a few years old)---but a few key features (such as 3D) require support on BOTH the player and the TV. Among the several Samsung Blueray Players which support 3D, the DB-D5500 is the cheapest (~$80), and probably the most loaded with features.

If you have an older TV, which lacks internet connectivity (and doesn't support 3D), and you need a wireless connection, then a DB-D5700 could be a better choice. Except for the built-in wireless adapter and lack of 3D support, the BD-D5700 is identical to the BD-D5500. My experience with true 3D (Owls of Gahoud and Avatar) is that although spectacular---it gives me a headache and I have no plans to purchase any more 3D movies. If I had to replace the BD-D5500, I'd strongly consider a BD-D5700.

LAN (INTERNET) CONNECTION
There are two ways to connect to the Internet, by connecting the player to your router: with an Ethernet cable, or "wireless". Virually all routers support BOTH "wireless" and Ethernet cable connections. You don't need "wireless" connection in order to support the remote control, 3D glasses, etc.---while these are "wireless", they are different systems. The BEST and cheapest way to connect the player to your LAN (home network) is with an Ethernet cable. If your home is wired for Ethernet, use those connections. Even if you don't need a LAN connection, at least temporarily connecting the player (by Ethernet cable) to your router to the Internet for an automatic firmware update when you first setup the player (or anytime you have a problem with the player) is probably a good idea. The following 25' cable is only $6.50 Mediabridge - Blue RJ45 Computer Networking Cat5e Ethernet Patch Cable - (25 Feet)

You do NOT have to connect the player via your router to your LAN to the Internet if all you want to do is play DVD and/or Blu-ray movies. You ONLY need to connect to your LAN for Internet services, such as Twitface (Twitter, Facebook, etc.), streaming sports, streaming movies from Netflix, Blockbuster, or Amazon etc. But, if (as in my case) your TV is connected to the Internet and offers all the services you want, there is no need for the player to be connected to the Internet. My connection is to the TV and is wireless, over a moderately slow DSL service, and an antique 811b router (which was considered slow 12 years ago). I have no problem streaming HD Netflix. If my slow connection works flawlessly, then almost any connection would be adequate. In most cases there is no need to upgrade your DSL service or router. If you have the same setup as me, that is the TV connected to your LAN but NOT your bluray player, then turn off the player before trying to connect to the internet (for Netflix, etc.), if the player is "on", the player will look for an internet connection and fail to find one.

CONNECTION QUALITY
When you are trying to connect to the internet for the FIRST TIME, do so during weekday hours during the day, if possible. Exactly "on the hour" at 12 noon, 1 PM, and from 6 PM to 10 PM are often impossible because everyone in the Northern Hemisphere is checking their email. Just because you can connect to the internet with your computer, cell phone, or tablet, doesn't mean your Samsung TV/player can make a connection. Sunday nights are particularly bad, depending on what is showing on network TV. 15 minutes after any hour is better than "on the hour". Depending on your internet provider, you many never have a problem. But until you know what your "availability" pattern is like, it is best to initially try connect when you have the best chance.

WIRELESS CONNECTIONS
The DB-D5500 is "wireless ready", meaning that you can add a wireless adapter in order to connect to your LAN (to connect to the Internet). The wireless adapter is sold separately. Samsung WIS09ABGN WIRELESS LINKSTICK WIS09ABGN2 USB LAN Adapter FOR SAMSUNG 2009 - 2010 & 2011 BLU-RAY PLAYERS, 2010 & 2011 SAMSUNG TVs---a non-Samsung wireless adapter will NOT work. Alternatively, the DB-D5500 is also "Ethernet ready"--you can connect to the Internet via your router, simply by connecting the player to your router with an Ethernet cable. If you have problems with a wireless connection, test the connection by substituting an Ethernet cable connection before you upgrade your DSL or buy a new router. If the cable works, then neither your DSL speed nor your router is the problem---simply moving around the player or router a few feet one way or another may make a big difference.

CONNECTION PROBLEMS
Funny thing, most of those really scathing reviews are about connection problems. I have experienced EXACTLY the same problems they report (but I've learned how fix the problems or cope with them). However MY player is NOT connected to the internet, and therefore CANNOT POSSIBLY be the source of my connection problem. My "Smart" connection is via my tip-top-of-the-line brand-new Samsung ($4500 retail) D8000 TV. Blame Samsung engineers, blame your internet provider, blame your local telephone service or cable provider, blame your DSL box, blame Netflix for not supplying sufficient bandwidth, blame sunspots (which interfere with wireless transmissions), blame your router, blame your neighbor's WiFi for interfering with yours, blame your neighbors for all checking their email at 6PM, blame your neighbors for hacking into your WiFi because you were too lazy to chose a hard-to-hack WEP code, blame your son for using up all your bandwidth playing online videogames, blame global warming (no reason), blame your ethernet connection, blame your ethernet cables, blame your HIMI cables (which may be too long or an old version), blame those horrible flourescent light bulbs the Government is forcing us to buy (which cause radio-wave interference)----but don't blame the BD-D5000. Connection problems are VERY UNLIKELY to be the player's fault.

ERROR MESSAGES
Sometimes after you've set up your internet connection and all is well, you'll get a message that you have no internet connection, or the "Network Interference" message; and offering you the opportunity to set up a connection. This usually happens during "heavy usage periods", e.g., Sunday night at 8PM when the internet, or your internet provider is overloaded. DON'T PANIC. Ignore the message, turn off your TV, turn it on and try again. If you get the same message, try again later. Sometimes you can clear error messages by manually selecting the "source". The "source button" on either remote control is the square with the arrow entering it.

Speaking of how tricky wireless connections can be: When I want to watch streaming movies, I often (not always) have to open the mini-blinds in both the room with the router and the room with the TV (in the adjacent room) to get the best picture---the strongest signal is broadcast from my house to the outside, and then bounces back to inside the house--weird!

HDMI CONNECTION
Neither my TV manual nor the BD-D5500 player manual are clear on which HDMI port on the TV to use. On my Samsung D8000 series TV, port #1 (which I foolishly assumed was the prefered HDMI port) is apparently reserved for DVI. (Which is actually a contradiction in terms, since DVI is a plug/port type. Apparently this port is for connecting a computer [or maybe a game box] to the TV with a DVI to HDMI cable) If you use port #1, that seems to confuse the TV, and makes it sometimes difficult to select a "source". Port #2 supports audio-return--although I'm not clear what that is. I used port #2, which works just fine. There are likely to be similar situations with other brands of TVs.

In any case, neither my Samsung D8000 TV nor the player came with an HDMI cable. You have to buy one separately. Note it is essential to buy the latest model HDMI (cable such as Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - (6 Feet) - Category 2 Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest HDMI Version Available] especially if you want the option of 3D. The owners manual warns that too long a cable can result in interference. So, although I had ordered a 6' cable, changed my mind and canceled, then ordered a 3' cable, which it turned out was too short. Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet - (3 Feet) - Category 2 Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest HDMI Version Available] Lesson, measure before you order. You don't have to pay $50 for an alledgedly super-dupper cable at Best Buys etc.---the $10 Metabridge works beautifully.

SETTING UP "SMART" CONNECTIONS
It's a non-intuitive (you've gotta study the manual) frustrating process. Instead of fantasizing about taking the player back to the store and cursing out the salesclerk, or writing a REALLY scathing review for Amazon, just take a prosiac, and resign yourself to the fact that it you'll have to spend several hours studying the manual and a few more hours doing the setup. Don't try to "do it all" in one session. One step at a time. Celebrate each triumph. Or, hire your 12-year-old grandson/granddaughter to do it---it should probably take him/her about 15 minutes. Summary: 1) establish an internet connection, 2) setup an "account" with Samsung and sign-in, 3) download apps if necessary, setup and sign-in to the services you want. Samsung ads suggest major improvements to this process in the 2012 models.

USB CONNECTION
You can connect certain USB devices (including thumb drives) to the player (or directly to many TVs) to PLAY movies, photos, or music. RECORDING (e.g., for time-shifting like we used to do with VCRs) to the USB devices is a different problem. Apparently this is done regularly in the rest of the World, but is unsupported in the US because of copyright issues. (Albeit, such recorders are available with cable/satellite-TV systems). In any case, although thumb drives PLAY fast enough, they do not RECORD fast enough---so to record, you have to plug in a portable harddrive (the same kind of portable harddrive you'd use with your computer), and have an app for the purpose. I have not found a recording app for the BD-D5500, but I have not looked too hard. Of course, if your computer is equipped with a DVD/Bluray player, you can copy movies to a portable harddrive and play them on your TV (even over your LAN with the proper app, perhaps with an app called PLEX). If your computer is also equipped with a TV tuner, then you can use that to time-shift over-the-air broadcasts, but I have not tried that.

PLAYING YOUR OLDER DVDs
All, or nearly all, current Blu-ray players of any brand can play DVDs (i.e., non-Blu-ray compact disk movies), and in fact, produce a better picture (on an HD TV) than a DVD player. (Caveat, this wasn't true a few years ago--some older Blu-ray players were not good at playing DVDs) Sadly, the abominable resolution of many DVDs (many simply transferred from VCR recordings) and other defects are exaggerated on big high-definition TVs. Even DVD movies you thought were particularly sharp and detailed (e.g., Lord of the Rings) on your smaller set are disappointing on the big screens, especially if played on an old DVD player. Even if you don't plan to buy a whole new HD movie library (I don't), a current Bluray player will give you a much better picture with your (low definition) DVD movies. Because: 1) the Blueray sends a digital rather than analog signal to the TV, and 2) it is a digital signal which is converted from "low D" to "HD", rather than an analog signal. Indeed, the DB-D5500 does such a good job of enhancing (standard low-definition) DVDs, that replacing your DVD library with corresonding Blu-ray versions, or paying extra for Blu-ray disk (e.g., from Netflix) may not noticeably improve your viewing quality. In fact on a less-than 36" TV, you are not likely to notice any difference between DVD and Blu-ray versions of movies played on this player.

BD-WISE
Apparently BD-Wise was originally developed to optimize upscaling for DVDs, and features were later added to enhance Bluray play. But, I have found no professional direct comparison reviews. However, I DO know from experience that BD-Wise produces the best possible picture on my top-of-the-line Samsung D8000 TV, regardless of the source. I purchased the TV before the BD-D5500 player, and used my old Sony DVD player for a while---but I was constainly fiddling with the TV "modes", and individual contrast, tint, color, brightness, sharpness adjustments etc. A different setting was needed for each DVD, which was different from the best settings for streaming Netflix, which was different from over-the-air TV. Some DVDs I watched were pretty awful because I didn't have the patience to fiddle with the settings for 15 minutes to find the best setting for that particular DVD. After getting the BD-D5500 and setting both the player and TV to "BD-Wise"---EVERY movie, tv show (DVD, Blu-ray, streaming Netflix, and broadcast TV) has been PERFECT---I haven't even openned the TV settings menu since connecting the BD-D5500. Haleluha!!! Theoretically BDwise isn't supposed to have any effect on streaming Netflix or broadcast TV---but nevertheless, both have been perfect since I purchased the DB-D5500. Whatever BD-wise is, it's a VERY good thing, which you ONLY get if you buy matching Samsung TVs and Bluray players. Perhaps other manufacturers have similar features---I don't know---but based on my experience, I'd NEVER try to mate a Panasonic player to a Sony TV, or a Samsung player to an LG TV, etc. Whatever brand you buy, buy matching brand and generation TVs/Bluray players.

GENERAL COMMENT ON MALFUNCTIONING HOME ELECTRONICS
When you loose your internet connection the techie almost certainly tells you to unplug the DVD box and your router, wait a minute or two, and then plug them in again. I have found that 90% of the time ANY electronic device acts up, that is the solution. Really!!!! If your computer gets flaky, rebooting may not be enough, physically unplug it, wait a while, plug it in, and try again. If your cell phone or portable computer starts acting strange, take out the battery, wait 5 minutes and reinstall---in my experience that works every time. If you have an Apple product with a non-removable battery---about the only thing you can do is let it run down to a totally absolutely dead battery, cross your fingers, say a few Hail Marys, then wait a day or two, charge it and try again. This even works with my 20 year old microwave. Every 5 years or so, I try to use the microwave, but it is dead. If I leave it unplugged for a few hours, plug it it, and it's fine. For some reason, some devices or conditions take more than a few minutes of no power to reset; if a few minutes doesn't work, try a few hours, if that doesn't work, try overnight. Is your clothes washer acting up? Unplug it. Really.

REVIEW of SAMSUNG D8000 TV
To see my review of the Samsung D8000 TV:
click on "See all my reviews" at the beginning of this review,
the review is on the second page of reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great player, May 4, 2011
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
Owned it for about a week so far. I read the other reviews and have not seen or experienced any of the same issues they have had with regards to apps and disc playability. There were however two firmware updates that I downloaded automatically after bootup and installed - these probably fixed the issues that others have seen. So far it has been a great player with fast loading and nice apps. It interfaces well with my Samsung HDTV and have only experienced good things with it. I tried many different Bluray discs including Avatar and have had no problems. I would recommend.
(UPDATE 7-7-11)
Downgraded from 5 stars to 1. The player took a dump on me...in a general sense. A couple of blu-rays were not playing back well (or at all). Mr. & Mrs. Smith had constant juttering of the picture, Knight and Day would give us an error saying that a software update was required by the manufacturer (had the latest firmware btw). I called Samsung customer support and they had me jump through all the hoops to determine that something was wrong with the player and they wanted me to mail it to them for repairs ect... Instead I called up the local store where I bought it and exchanged it for the Sony BX-58.
It was a very nice player until it wasn't.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, but that's about it, September 28, 2011
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
I bought the BD-D5500 Blu Ray player as part of a package promotion when buying a Samsung TV. This player is blu-ray, 3D, wi-fi ready, apps, and all this new great stuff. However, my maybe 5-6 year old basic (like, really basic model) DVD player had the ability to remember where I was on a DVD when I stopped and even powered off the unit. This Samsung unit, apparently that was too complicated, so a step back in time, wwwaaayyyy back in terms of electronics technology, so I don't understand that at all.

I've also had issues with updating the firmware on the device through USB. I refuse to purchase the $80 proprietary wi-fi adapter and if you haven't figured this out yet, no, any other USB wi-fi adapter will not work according to Samsung. So I've followed the horrendous instructions about updating firmware with no success so I posted on Samsung's support page with still no success.

Take it for what it's worth, "entry" level 3D Blu-ray player.

1.0 out of 5 stars The WORST user interface for online streaming services, August 19, 2011
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
Overall:
BD-D5500 provides great picture quality. That is its BEST quality.
User interfaces for streaming services are ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!
This is the TOP reason that I'll return the BD-D5500 unit tomorrow.

Pros
1) Great picture quality
2) Play both Blu-ray and DVD formats
3) 3D
4) Slim profile
5) Samsung technical supports are wonderful. I talked to 4 tier-1 and 1 tier-2 supports. They are as good as one could hope for

Cons:
1)The ABSOLUTE WORST user interface for streaming services:
2) remote reacts VERY slowly to key press
3) entering UserName/Password to login is FAR WORSE than the old clam-shell phone, it caused a very patient guy like me a headache to keep logging in, re-logging in, it takes me 3 seconds to login on a desktop, this thing took me roughly 20 seconds w/o a single typo, and I'm an experienced IT guy, if you are "planning" on making some typos, forget it <- this is what BROKE me
4) download new applications through Samsung server, which can be a hassle for its not always available
5) very slow start up when play DVD/Blu-ray disc
6) it works only with the older USB flash drives that provide no security, i.e. user must authenticate to gain access to USB contents
7) works only with USB, not SD, or micro-SD, which are most commonly used by digital cameras
8) remote control is not helpful without lighted keys, keys are mostly flat provide no hints to the touch
9) must spend $80 to buy an external WIFI adapter
10) the sleek front panel is cool to the look, but is so awkward when must perform some setting activities with Samsung technical supports, since there is nothing there to discern the buttons

Summary:
I HATE to return things.
But I dislike this Samsung user interface for streaming services EVEN FAR MORE.
I could take the initial "HITS" of time-consuming setup, but not on the daily use.
If you plan to moderately-to-frequently using streaming services like NetFlix, YouTube, Pandora, Picasa, and other streaming services that require authentication, the BD-D5500 is DEFINTELY NOT for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stuttering Samsung Apps, April 8, 2011
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
Good:
Quick Boot
Plays the content it advertises
Looks sleek and has the newest collection of Samsung Apps

Bad:
Not sure if it's because this is new but the Hulu Plus & Netflix apps stutter uncontrollably. I brought this player to replace an excellent earlier Samsung model which never had this problem. It is so bad that a video could go 10-15 minutes without audio or out of sync. Sometimes the video will play in slow motion with no audio. I thought it was the apps' fault so I pulled up Netflix on my earlier Samsung blu-ray player and had no issues. Also pulled up Hulu Plus on a Sony blu-ray player and did not have the same issue. I have a 17 Mbps connection (actual speed not advertised) and the part that drives me up the wall is that Hulu Plus ads work perfectly on this player. Again, this must be the player because my other blu-ray players do not have this issue and the website does not either.

I have AV receivers and a nice home theater setup so since most blu-ray players play content very well and just bitstream audio to my receiver, the main difference will always be apps and this player was a dissapointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another network failure, January 26, 2012
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
First of all, I have no complaints whatsoever about Blu-ray playback. Picture quality was fine. My issues is with the network connection.

For about 2 weeks, this worked just fine. Was watching Hulu+, Netflix, etc. Then suddenly, the network connection just wouldn't work. I would unplug it for awhile, then plug it back then. Then the network connection worked for a little while longer.

Then eventually -- no amount of unplug/restart cycles would fix the thing. So it's been returned.

2.0 out of 5 stars 3D Movie Format problems & Connectivity issues, December 20, 2011
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
This player came as part of a TV package so we took what was given. It has worked OK until the recent purchase of the Cars 2 3D Blu-ray. Numerous times during the movie the picture would skip back two or three scenes and start playing again. You can skip forward and get close to where it was but who wants to watch the same scene two or three times before you can get it past the spot where it skips backwards! Just in case I double checked to make sure I have the latest firmware version and it is current. After doing some research on line it turns out there are a bunch of users having this problem with Cars 2 3D and some other newer movies in the same format. Posts from users in just the last couple of months that have been in touch with Samsung user support are being told there is no set date as to when a firmware release will come out that will fix this issue. I have also had some continued connectivity issues having to frequently reset and reconnect to the network (I have a wired connection to a WiFi range extender). Picture quality and 3D function look great on our Samsung TV but I am not sure I would recommend this player based on the connectivity and recent playback problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO many apps, Sleek Looking, Another great Samsung Product, February 29, 2012
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
This blu ray 3d player works well with my Samsung 55inch 3d led TV, it has so many applications to choose from not just the regular Facebook, Pandora, hulu and netflixs, but so much more.
One thing that kind of confused me was it said WiFi ready, NOTE the word ready, you do need either a adapter for it, or a wired Ethernet connection to make the internet portion work for this player, but that was not a problem for us as our router was right beside it. The menu options are colorful and the placer is touch screen and very responsive. Even the keys on the remote glow in the dark, and can sync with your TV. Thanks for another great Samsung product.
Oh it also comes with an extended 3 month warranty in the box on top of the regular 12 months when you register your product online with Samsung :)

1.0 out of 5 stars A tremendous POS, January 17, 2012
This review is from: BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black (Electronics)
This device worked for the first two days and now will not connect to the internet for Netflix etc. via ethernet. I have found the same complaint all over the web, and so far no solutions. Samsung is no help.

BD-D5500 Blu-ray Disc Player - 1080p - Black
$194.00
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Rate and Discover Movies