5.0 out of 5 stars The Sony BDP-BX110: Outstanding Value At This Price Level
Published 18 months ago by One-Shot Scot

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value with a few annoying quirks
As far as physical media goes this day in age, this is a simple device that plays (most) every format you throw at it. Its small, and does what its supposed to do well.

Published 28 days ago by Joseph Ghelarducci

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sony BDP-BX110: Outstanding Value At This Price Level, March 24, 2013
This review is from: Sony BDP-BX110/S1100 Blu-ray Player with HDMI cable, Ethernet Streaming 1080p HD Video (Electronics)
The Sony BX110 is the best non-3D Blu-ray/DVD player that I have seen, anywhere near its price range. It takes 15 seconds to load Blu-ray disks, which took around 2 minutes to load in one of my earlier Panasonic players. A couple of Blu-ray disks (The King's Speech and Casino) would only load in this Panasonic player if I unplugged the Internet connection. Eventually, a firmware update came along which allowed loading of these titles, but they still loaded very slowly.

The owner's manual that came with the BX110 lists two Sony models in its title: BDP-S1100/BX110. However, the two models appear to be identical other than their different nomenclature. According to the owner's manual, the only difference between these two models is that the BX110 comes with a "High Speed HDMI Cable."

The Sony BDP-S1100/BX110 is not WiFi capable, nor is it WiFi ready. The only way to connect this player to the Internet is through the use of a LAN cable. When using a LAN cable, this player connects to the Internet quickly and produces fast and accurate streaming content. With Comcast Internet, the player quickly set itself up through the use of its Auto settings.

My previous experience with all-in-one Blu-ray players has found their Internet streaming capabilities lacking. This was not a problem for me because I have a Roku 2 XS for my Netflix and Amazon streaming videos. I assumed that this Sony player would be no exception and that its Internet streaming capabilities would not be good. But I registered the player with Netflix and Amazon just to see if it would actually play streaming video with any degree of accuracy. (By the way, the player has the ability to erase all personal data from its internal memory should ownership of the player ever be transferred.)

To my surprise, this player does an excellent job of streaming both Netflix and Amazon content. No dropouts, no stuttering and no lockups. The Sony streaming video interfaces are slightly different from those of the Roku, but they are very intuitive and easily learned. I couldn't be happier with the performance of this Sony player's streaming video performance.

This Sony player quickly loads both Blu-ray and DVD disks and when the Auto function is used, it plays both Blu-ray and DVD disks in 24p mode. The remote control system is very sensitive and the player responds quickly and accurately to all commands. The player allows faster loading of Blu-ray disks by allowing the BD Internet Connection to be shut off. I have shut off this feature because I have found nearly all BD Internet content to be a complete waste of time. There is also an optional Quick Start Mode which allows Blu-ray disks to load faster.

One of the audio settings of the Sony player was somewhat confusing to me until I did some research. The BD Audio MIX Setting when set to On produces a multi-channel PCM signal only, presumably adding alternate soundtrack information to the main audio program. When this option is set to Off, the primary soundtrack comprised of various audio types, such as Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD and True HD are available. I set this option to Off.

A USB input on the front of the player allows the playback of MP4, MP3, WMV, JPG pictures etc., (those are the only formats that I have tried so far) and the USB device is also used to store BD data in a "buda" file, which the player can delete on demand.

My Pioneer receiver has the ability to correct lip sync problems through the use of an audio delay setting. The Sony player did not need any audio sync correction and the HDMI audio signal arrived at the receiver perfectly synchronized with the video. At least that's my assumption, because the Sony player, Samsung TV and Pioneer receiver may all be working seamlessly together. There could still be lip sync problems with other combinations of playback equipment. However, the player also has the ability to do an Audio/Video sync from 0 to 120 msec and the default setting is 0 msec.

Notes:

There is a coaxial digital audio output jack in the back of the unit -- a feature that is becoming rare in entry-level Blu-ray players. I did not check the digital audio output for possible lip sync issues.

Once the Internet connection was established, the player offered to update its software version to M14.R.0093 and this update was accomplished quickly.

The player generates almost no heat and therefore does not have a cooling fan.

This Sony player has a light that indicates that the player is turned on, but it does not display any disk time or chapter information on the unit. This disk information can be displayed on screen by pressing the "DISPLAY" button on the remote while the disk is playing.

UPDATE 12/08/2013 Regarding Netflix Dolby Digital Plus Audio: In order to receive DD+ sound, you must have a DD+ capable receiver AND make the appropriate Netflix settings in "Your Account" Playback settings. I just ran through the Netflix settings and got these results:

Low (0.3 GB per hour)=PCM Stereo.
Medium (0.7 GB per hour)=Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio.
High (3 GB per hour)=Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier, August 9, 2013
I did quite a bit of looking, reading reviews, etc before purchasing this sony bluray player. Most everything I read was positive and so I took the plunge. I am so very pleased with my decision. First, let me say that the set up could not have been any easier. I hooked up the unit and turned it on and it did the rest, which was wonderful because I can be a little intimidated by this stuff. The first thing I did was go to Netflix because we watch a lot shows here and I read in a couple reviews that there were problems with buffering and lagging. This was last night and I have since watched an entire season of a favorite show of mine and it ran absolutely flawlessly! We also watched a movie today and it also was perfect. For what I was looking for, something to stream netflix, hulu, etc and watch bluray/dvds, I couldn't be happier! It's a a great deal and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent inexpensive BluRay player, May 1, 2013
Bob G (California) - See all my reviews
I purchased this at Costco for $69.99 including HDMI cable, without Ethernet cable. Compared to the Samsung BDFM59C which I returned, also to Costco and for which I had paid $129.99, the Sony is a gem. Much easier to use, particularly the search and type function, as well as having a feature the Samsung lacked, that of returning by default to the spot in the DVD last played after turning machine off and on later to resume watching.
Very satisfied with this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Amazon Prime in High Definition and hundreds of other channels., November 9, 2013
I could not be more satisfied. I paid under $30 for my unit here on Amazon. I have a Blu-ray player with 5.1 surround sound, but it didn't include many of the channel options with Sony Bravia. The sound goes through my stereo flat screen television. I can't mention all the stations provided with a Sony product because the list just goes on and on. There are all the usual apps included such as Netflix, YouTube, etc. There are pages and pages of just channels of almost every subject matter. Each channel has untold hours of programing. You will never not find something of interest.

I play most of my Blu-ray discs on my other player for the possible increase in sound quality. I can't tell any difference. If I had to choose between the two players, I'd pick this one because of the numerous increased amount of channels of movies, videos, and music offered. Most of the channels are free via an Ethernet cable with Internet access. There is no Wi-Fi option, but I'm fine with that.

This unit does include the HDMI cable and a remote with batteries included. I would purchase this again and would recommend it to anyone wanting more things to watch than they have time to watch for about the lowest price for any unit.

I use the provided HDMI cable from this unit to my HDMI ready television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and value, direct streaming., October 13, 2013
Having experienced quality loss of streaming over wi-fi, and after a year of frustration streaming with a PS3 which forced me to go over the Playstation Network, I love the simplicity of this ethernet connected device, which accesses Netflix etc directly.
Also you will not find a better Blu Ray player.
Happiness at last !

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Blu-ray, August 30, 2013
stingerdoc (lawrenceville, ga United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this player for my room mate, she loves it!
She can watch her netflix as well as order movies from amazon and not worry about taking a movie back to redbox.

Update: This is NOT a wireless blu ray player, it IS a nice steaming player if you have up to date equipment, meaning you have to be able to use HDMI cable to your receiver, make sure all is compatible or you will have problems.

This player streams very well.

Now, for an education on blu ray players, any blu ray player will need internet to update it's firmware . . . or in simple terms update it's software. The manufacturers (and this is about all of them) do not ship out their units with the latest updates, they leave that for you to do via internet.

Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Devices in One - Superb in all 4 roles!, February 6, 2014
I check out a lot of movies at the local library, which carries both DVDs and Blu Rays. In order to get a movie as quickly as possible, I will often grab whatever version happens to be in at the moment. Since I previously only had one Blu Ray player (my PS3 hooked up to a projector in the living room) this sometimes meant that a Blu Ray would sit unwatched until I had to take it back simply because I wasn't in the mood for a big-screen living room experience. In order to alleviate the problem I suggested to my darling wife that we somehow acquire another Blu Ray player on the cheap, and put it in the bedroom to hook up to our plasma TV.

After looking around for a nice higher-end Blu Ray player, I ended up settling on this one. Partly because it was cheap (less than 50.00), partly because I had such a wonderful experience with the SONY DVD player we were using previously (which would play library DVDs that were really badly scratched without a hitch). Upon opening the packaging I discovered that the unit was refurbished...but it also came with an HDMI cable (I guess I can always use a spare).

Picture quality, sound quality, overall quality

If you've ever used a modern Blu Ray player you know the score. Pretty much everything post-PS3 and from a major brand is going to be a decent Blu Ray player with great picture and sound. This unit does not disappoint. Blu Rays load pretty fast, audio is mixed properly on my stereo TV (the DVD player had previously had problems with volume levels when dialog switched sound channels on a 5.1 master that played on my TV's stereo speakers). There are the usual options, but you probably won't need to play with most of the ones that effect playback of DVDs and Blu Rays.

Just like the SONY DVD player we bought, this one's drive mechanism makes a bit of noise when switching tracks, and makes clunking sounds when loading discs. I don't mind that because everything else absolutely rocks.

Features, features, features

If you've ever used a Playstation 3 console you will be familiar with the interface, because it is almost IDENTICAL to the Playstation 3's. If you aren't used to that interface...it will probably feel like a bit much due to all the lists of options. The flip-side...is what those options can do...

Previously I was using a DVD player, a WD Live USB-to-TV player (that I hooked up to a terrabyte hard drive), and a Roku for streaming. This device replaces that ALL and, amazingly enough, also plays Blu Rays.

DVD

Like the SONY DVD player, this machine seems to be able to play DVDs in just about any condition except completely broken. It also is whisper-quiet most of the time it's operating.Picture quality is good if not mind-blowing (what do you expect? An Oppo?) Subtitles and audio switching work fine. Fast-forward and rewind are smooth. And importantly, there is the same awesome disc memory from the SONY DVD player which allows discs to resume after you turn the machine off, swap discs, etc.

Blu Ray

Blu Rays CAN resume if the Blu Ray supports it (I hear that some features can turn this off so do your research). I have yet to find any discs that the machine had trouble reading and everything is up to spec.

USB Playback

My WD Live was a great little machine, wrecked by an unfortunate lack of firmware updates to keep up with new and emerging formats (specifically, MKV files made it choke). In contrast I have yet to find any video files that this Blu Ray player cannot play (except for ISO files). Granted, I had already converted quite a few videos to make the WD Live play them back... But still! This thing handles subtitles perfectly, and browses video files very quickly. Pausing, fast-forward, rewind all work just fine, and playback is very smooth. Awesome.

Streaming

I was previously using a Roku for streaming Amazon Prime and Netflix, and I like this machine better. The interface is a bit different and episode information is not displayed when watching Star Trek on this player. The first 10 seconds or so of the image will also be a black blank when you start streaming (which doesn't generally bother me because in most shows that's a bunch of logos). Where this device makes up for these shortcomings is the general snappiness of the interface. While the Netflix interface takes a bit to load (10 seconds or so) it is incredibly responsive after that (as opposed to the incredibly sluggish Roku, which kept jumping around because it would load things 30 seconds after I started browsing). Overall, I like this device much better than the Roku for streaming. Rock solid and very responsive.

Overall

I replaced: A fifty dollar DVD player, a fifty dollar streaming device and a fifty dollar USB video device, with a device that also handles Blu Rays. I paid fifty dollars for it (give or take). THAT'S what I call a good deal! Not only was it a substantial upgrade, but now my TV is far less cluttered and I don't have to switch inputs every time I want to go from Blu Ray to DVD to USB to streaming.

A lot of the things others think are hassles are actually features. The Ethernet is 10 times faster than wifi and doesn't suffer from awful signal drop-out the way my Roku always did (and the Roku also would always start in standard def and then improve picture after a few minutes). The remote control is almost identical to the SONY DVD remote I had formerly used, so it was simple to adjust to. The remote, like the drive mechanism, seems a bit flimsy and mushy, but it's comfortable to use and I've never had any issues with it (unlike the roku and WD Live remotes). Naturally, it's also nice that it replaces three other remotes, and has buttons to jump back to the main menu or to Netflix.

Honestly, with the price that's charged even for a brand new unit, this is a bargain. The only way I can POSSIBLY see someone not liking it is if they absolutely MUST use wifi and RCA jacks. This device has neither and HDMI and Ethernet are required. If that's where you are at...UPGRADE! Ethernet is faster and far more reliable than wifi (if distance is an issue, I recommend a powerline to Ethernet adapter). And HDMI is better than any other available video standard in pretty much every way.

10 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to my living room, March 18, 2014
Yeah, yeah, I've heard it from all sides - just bought my first flat screen TV and i waffled back and forth about making that a smart TV purchase or not - guess what - this makes my TV pretty darned smart! Easy to set up, easy to use. Even though there are many other functions, I pretty much stick to Pandora, Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video. Its nice and light and low profile helped this blend right in to my minimal set up

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value with a few annoying quirks, September 1, 2014

That being said, the device (after owning one for 2 years) has 2 minor yet insanely frustrating drawbacks. The first, of which ive found no remedy to, is occasionally the unit will scream a high pitched beep at you for a couple of (very long) seconds when you turn it on. I really havent looked into it, i just know its very annoying when you go to watch a movie with your wife at night, and then suddenly your adjusting your earlobes, and all the kids have woken up.

The other problem is also minor, but the device has some sort of a smart on/off capability with your tv. You turn on the tv, and it turns on the dvd player, and vice versa (sometimes). Other times, you could be watching your regularly scheduled programming, and the dvd player will accidentally be turned on. What begins then is a roller coaster of swapping between tv/dvd remotes, trying to convince the box that it was an accident, and you really just wanted to watch tv.

Other then that, it also plays cds (which we still own) Which was a huge plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a wonderfully engineered product at such a good price., November 21, 2013
I was just looking for a BR DVD player, but this product's access to movies on the net is very well done. It is great to be able to play Amazon instant video movies, including prime movies, right from the remote control. Access to other movie sites is great also. It handles HDMI control perfectly as well.